PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to put AC4 on a DVD, so I don't have to re-download it?

del170919084429
08-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Im sick of having to re-download all my games whenever I want to reformat6 my pc, any suggestions.

Locopells
08-17-2014, 11:45 PM
It's perfectly possible to backup and restore your games without having to download again, as long as you take a copy of the registry keys as well.

You'll want an external hard drive, or suchlike, though, you're not gonna get it on one DVD.

Johny-Al-Knox
08-18-2014, 12:21 AM
buy external hard drive.

YazX_
08-18-2014, 12:58 AM
As everyone said above, this the registry hive you need to export:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft

And also take a backup of your UbisoftGameLauncher (Uplay) folder, since it contains all saved games and manifests for supported games, the default installation folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher

Once you reformatted and installed windows, you need to install UPlay to the same location where it was, then copy the backup UPlay folder there and overwrite all files, then restore registry keys and last copy your games back to the same location where they were.

P.S: changing installation folders is possible but you need to change all registry keys for the ones you changed, so its better to restore everything same way it was to save yourself the need to change reg keys.

del170919084429
08-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Okay thanks for the reply, I want to make sure I get this properly. Windows is on my C Dr. and I have a separate SSD that is the D Drive. So before I format my C Dr. I should back up the registry string in Regeedit. Now is it okay if I follow this particular procedure. After I format and install windows back on the C Dr., I copy that will be soft folder from my D Dr. to my desktop. Then install you play back on the D Drive. Then delete the folder in the D Dr. recopy do you play folder that's now on the desktop back to the D Dr. which contains the games this saves and everything. And then double-click on the backed up registry string so that it updates the registry. Well this work.

Last night I tried playing assassins creed for from the D Dr. and it wouldn't play but I did not know I needed to insert the registry string, if I insert the registry strength will it allow the game to play or are there any other files that I need to install to make the gameplay

YazX_
08-18-2014, 10:28 PM
as i said, you need to restore the folders' structure same there were or nothing will work, if you want to change folders, you need to edit registry keys in the hive i provided, search for "installdir" registry value for each game in the tree of the hive and change it to the new location. Launcher registry key is for UPlay, so if you changed UPlay installation folder, change the installdir registry value there. here are simple steps:

1. Copy your UPlay and all games folders to another drive:
2. Backup Registry (key mentioned above) and export it to a file.
3. Format C.
4. Install windows.
5. Install UPlay.
6. Copy the Backup you took from UPlay over the newly installed UPlay with overwrite.
7. Copy your games back to where you want them to be.
8. run the registry file you took as a backup.
9. go to registry (Ubisoft hive) search for anything that has a path inside the registry keys (usually the name is installdir for registry value), change them according to the new location you place them in. if you restored everything to the same location before formatting, then skip this step.

del170919084429
08-24-2014, 02:14 PM
as i said, you need to restore the folders' structure same there were or nothing will work, if you want to change folders, you need to edit registry keys in the hive i provided, search for "installdir" registry value for each game in the tree of the hive and change it to the new location. Launcher registry key is for UPlay, so if you changed UPlay installation folder, change the installdir registry value there. here are simple steps:

1. Copy your UPlay and all games folders to another drive:
2. Backup Registry (key mentioned above) and export it to a file.
3. Format C.
4. Install windows.
5. Install UPlay.
6. Copy the Backup you took from UPlay over the newly installed UPlay with overwrite.
7. Copy your games back to where you want them to be.
8. run the registry file you took as a backup.
9. go to registry (Ubisoft hive) search for anything that has a path inside the registry keys (usually the name is installdir for registry value), change them according to the new location you place them in. if you restored everything to the same location before formatting, then skip this step.

ok so I did exactly as you said, and it did work. The only thing is that I had to go into the support\common folder to install direct x. And that is where my other question comes from. After you install a game on steam or uplay it automatically installs direct x and vc++ and I think some other stuff. Could it be possible for the game to not run right if these are not installed because I am using I have them installed on their own hard drive just for games. Some of these installations after a game is first launched install things on the os hard drive, so wouldn't I need to install them again if I format my os ssd?

YazX_
08-24-2014, 09:20 PM
well yah, you need to install them just once after formatting, but note that there are several versions of DX and VC++, and dont worry you will not do any damage if you tried to install something that has already been installed, as an example if you tried to install an older DX over a newer installed DX, nothing will happen since any DX installer will detect and update and will not overwrite. for VC++, some installers will show you Reinstall, repair or remove when you try to install them, that means that you already have it installed, so just quit the installer.