PDA

View Full Version : Why join a crew?

CrypticApathy
08-17-2014, 06:32 AM
What exactly do you do with a crew. Is it pretty much just a guild or does it actually serve some purpose beyond that. This game doesnt have raids or anything. What will being in a crew do for me that just joining up with random people wont?

KernelPad
08-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Joining random people would be equal to a crew technically, but disbanding the group every time isn't.

When joining a crew, you will be more familiar with the people around you, they will be by your side when you're having trouble completing missions or if you wish to ask some advice, you might even learn some new stuff. I know these things are possible by playing with complete strangers, but most people will either be in their own crews or wouldn't bother to actually consider communicating after playing. (Lets say you found someone to play with, next thing you know they're in a crew or found someone else to play with. They may or may not add you to their crew, its their choice.)

Most random people will either just focus on completing the missions through co-op or just want to mind their own businesses. A crew is pretty much a guild, and you decide on what you want to do with it. Ubisoft started the 'Golden Plates' thing to encourage people building their own crews through social sites, which is okay I guess. I'm sure The Crew will offer us more to do with our crews once they release more features, who knows, we might even get community events based on people in a crew.

In crews, you can anytime meet up with members and decide to complete missions or do races, no need to be waiting in lobbies to find strangers. :P

Since I wanted to spice things up a bit, I've made a few threads you can check out in which you can only participate if you're in a crew:

- http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/902034-Crew-Territory-Map
- http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/906411-The-Crew-Street-Racing-Cup

I had to go out, so this isn't a full-on answer, theres a lot more you probably can do which I haven't explained very well, or we don't know about.

mrlionx
08-18-2014, 01:19 AM
We really don't know what other things a crew can do other than doing PvP and missions together. But for a game that has The Crew in its name I'm sure there will be a lot more benefits for joining a crew.

Personally, I join crews for the community and competition and if a crew is good at both then that's good enough for me to join.

myndkf
08-19-2014, 01:35 AM
Kernel nailed it on the head, if anything it's a clan and community or playing with friends, but I'm sure they'll have more things for us to do.
thecrewmunity.com - you can create/join crews there

nowaiwow
08-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Sadly, the way it is implemented in the game, it really doesn't feel like your "crew" is a community or a group of friends you play with often, it is just the current group / party you happen to be in, so there are Factions / Crew / Friends as far as shared social constructs at the moment.

As far as I can tell, and perhaps I am missing something, none of those really provide what a lot of people want out of a "crew" which is a guild type construct, where you can have shared crew achievements, a larger crew than just the 3 or 4 other (or whatever the max size) of people you happen to currently be grouped with.

Since this is essentially a car MMO, missing a guild type construct seems to be a pretty massive oversight unless, again, it exists somewhere and I am not seeing it, or they haven't exposed it in the UI, etc.