PDA

View Full Version : Unity Co-op. 11 missions? is that all?

CalvyB
08-16-2014, 09:24 AM
I may be a little behind on the info for Assassins creed unity but after finally watching a few trailers on you tube I find myself a little disappointed with what I've read about assassins creed unity.

Couple of months ago I was told by a few friends unity was going to have co-op and I was really pleased to hear it. finally a chance to play assassins creed with friends and not simply have them watch as I work through the story alone. I could actually work through with friends and coop the whole thing. (or so I thought)

I'm a little bit disappointed at the idea it's only going to be 11 missions. it kind of feels like a tacked on after thought not to discimilar to how sc blacklist did its coop. which was no where near as good as the coop story in sc conviction.

I read several articles that online coop is the way of the future and I welcome that. I love coop stories. loved conviction played the entire future soldier campaign several times with 3 friends. played blacklists coop missions they were fun but not quite the same experience as the rest I've mentioned. and going outside of ubisoft resi 5/6 army of two all of which hugely cooperative games. but if the way of the future is this seemingly tacked on crap then it's a lot less appealing.

So when I first heard unity was going to be coop I had hoped for a fully coop-able story and not just some tacked on missions. I haven't played them yet they may be great, but I honestly expect it will play largely like blacklist and not like future soldier or convictions coop modes. why not the whole story mode?

Will I still buy unity? most likely. but I must say I was really hoping for more from the coop side of things than 11 optional missions. I was hoping to be able to fully co-op the story and share my gaming experience with friends..

So while it may not be possible in Unity I do sincerely hope that in furture games there will be a chance to play the entire stories in coop with friends. this is after all the "social age of gaming" or so they say.

So please more true coop in future. PVP multiplayer games are a dime a dozen but decent cooperative titles are fairly rare and often highly sought after.
Online coop campaigns has to be the single most requested feature in so many games. including earlier assassins creed titles such as brotherhood where I seem to recall a huge demand for coop story.

Sesheenku
08-16-2014, 09:39 AM
It's got heist missions too.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/assassins-creed-unity-hands-on-co-ordinated-killing-in-a-co-op-heist/

Check it out.

I believe all the missions co-op and heist are pretty replayable too, guards will be placed differently and have different paths, each time you'll have to find a different approach in the mission too, some paths will be closed, new ones will be open.

Legendz54
08-16-2014, 09:43 AM
^ They also said each mission would take about an hour to get through.. And OP dont forget there is Co op Free roam as well.

Fatal-Feit
08-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Hardly an hour. The E3 demo took about 5 minutes, and they were taking their sweet time.

Legendz54
08-16-2014, 10:07 AM
^ Maybe it was shortened because of limited time they had?

Sushiglutton
08-16-2014, 10:19 AM

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/assassins-creed-unity-hands-on-co-ordinated-killing-in-a-co-op-heist/

Check it out.

I believe all the missions co-op and heist are pretty replayable too, guards will be placed differently and have different paths, each time you'll have to find a different approach in the mission too, some paths will be closed, new ones will be open.

Do we know for sure if there are 11 brotherhood missions + heists, or if some of the 11 brotherhood missions are in fact heists?

Sesheenku
08-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Do we know for sure if there are 11 brotherhood missions + heists, or if some of the 11 brotherhood missions are in fact heists?

Couldn't tell you to be honest, I'd give you a guess but that's not worth a damn thing.

Who knows.

Fatal-Feit
08-16-2014, 10:57 AM
^ Maybe it was shortened because of limited time they had?

They had time for a 10 minute demo, but perhaps. Honestly, I think 11 missions are fine. They're suppose to be replayable like in consecutive MP. You'll be replaying a missions at least a dozen time before you're tired of it, which would be equivalent to an hour or more. That's fair enough, IMO.

Legendz54
08-16-2014, 11:07 AM
They had time for a 10 minute demo, but perhaps. Honestly, I think 11 missions are fine. They're suppose to be replayable like in consecutive MP. You'll be replaying a missions at least a dozen time before you're tired of it, which would be equivalent to an hour or more. That's fair enough, IMO.

Plus. Aside from the missions there is still all that co op free roam fun to be had :)

pacmanate
08-16-2014, 11:11 AM
11 is actually a lot... Soooo yeah. I'm happy. Dont forget co-op DLC we will get cause $$$$$$

LoyalACFan
08-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Honestly I don't know what people expected... Each of these are going to be pretty hefty, in-depth missions. The E3 one was shortened to the last stage, skipping all the mod missions and investigations and just pointing you in the direction of a target. An hour apiece is almost certainly overblown, as the playtimes they give us always are, but I could easily see them taking over 30 minutes each. And they're all replayable. Plus there's co-op free-roam.

11 is actually a lot... Soooo yeah. I'm happy. Dont forget co-op DLC we will get cause $$$$$$

This too. Especially now that they don't have MP content to stuff the season pass with anymore.

Fatal-Feit
08-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Honestly I don't know what people expected... Each of these are going to be pretty hefty, in-depth missions. The E3 one was shortened to the last stage, skipping all the mod missions and investigations and just pointing you in the direction of a target. An hour apiece is almost certainly overblown, as the playtimes they give us always are, but I could easily see them taking over 30 minutes each. And they're all replayable. Plus there's co-op free-roam.

I still think 30 minutes is a stretch. Maybe 20 minutes if you're new. The average would most likely be around 10 minutes. I've been sitting here playing wolf pack and honestly, I think 10 minutes alone is enough to gather information, storm the location, and take out the target.

pacmanate
08-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Elaborating on 11 being a lot.

That's pretty much 2 sequences of Single Player missions, depending on how many missions per sequence and whatever.
Don't forget that there is free roam
The Co-Op missions are Blackbox missions, so length will be dependent on how you tackle these
Your team will make a massive difference to game length imo. If you are all un-coordinated they could end pretty quick. If you all co-ordinate and act stealthy they can last longer.

11 is a nice number for these, I know when I do co-op I am going to play with friends who like being stealthy and don't run off on their own. I expect to get a good 4 hours from the co-op stuff.

LoyalACFan
08-16-2014, 12:09 PM
I still think 30 minutes is a stretch. Maybe 20 minutes if you're new. The average would most likely be around 10 minutes. I've been sitting here playing wolf pack and honestly, I think 10 minutes alone is enough to gather information, storm the location, and take out the target.

What does Wolfpack have to do with anything? That was just a mindless kill-fest, and the enemies came in timed waves so every match lasted about the same amount of time. And don't forget that these aren't all assassination missions.

CalvyB
08-16-2014, 12:16 PM
My point really was that nearly all the main game is going to be single player centric.

What I was hoping from coop was to be able to clear the whole game from start to finish with friends. or alone if I chose to. and I believe that is also what many players have wanted since the days of brotherhood and the ever popular requests for coop there.

in brotherhood for example it would have been nice if instead of having ai recruits, my friends could have played them and helped me along the entire story unfolding it together.

why I referenced blacklist is because the coop there is pretty much a few random missions tacked onto the sp campaign. they didn't really serve a purpose or fit the story in any significant way.
this is why I said the coop of conviction was much better. it played out like a full story and was a prologue to the main game.

when you look at sites like co-optimus and even psn and xbox communities you see coop campaigns are very popular and also very uncommon to actually find. games are either one extreme or the other. its either single player or multiplayer competition. very rarely cooperative story. and its a decades old concept. going back to double dragon and streets of rage, where multiplayer was about helping each other not killing each other.

More games need true cooperative modes. not tacked on side content. I would liken it to the cinema you don't really go watch the latest blockbuster alone you nearly always go with friends, and I see games the same way. sharing games stories with friends would make so many games so much more enjoyable than playing alone.

It may be to late for unity but I hope the next assassins creed does feature a full coop mode where friends can play the full story from beginning to end together if they choose. games are so much more enjoyable when shared with people and not simply killing eachother in pvp.

At present it seems most of my coop hopes currently lie with "The Division" hopefully that's a game I can play with friends start to finish. not a huge fan of pvp these days so hate games that force you into it. aka watchdogs when players stop my story and hack me.

hopefully one day there will be an assassins creed story I can truly play fully with friends from start to finish.

pacmanate
08-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Having Co-Op from the start of the game to the end would be very hard to do. It would be hard to establish character relationships and story etc. Having a second assassin just "drop in" for the sake of dropping in is just a bad idea imo

LoyalACFan
08-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Having Co-Op from the start of the game to the end would be very hard to do. It would be hard to establish character relationships and story etc. Having a second assassin just "drop in" for the sake of dropping in is just a bad idea imo

This. You can't tell a cohesive story with player/NPC interaction with a bunch of other Arnos jumping in all over the place.

CalvyB
08-16-2014, 12:40 PM
This. You can't tell a cohesive story with player/NPC interaction with a bunch of other Arnos jumping in all over the place.

but it doesn't have to be arnos. this is the point, in the coop footage you only see one of you as arnos and the other 3 as different players.

in brotherhood for example your npc recruits were available at almost every single point in the game I can't think of many places I couldn't utilise them. and having a couple of friends playing as those recruits throughout the story wouldn't have affected the story line in any way. in essence they are a part of the story whether npc controlled or player controlled.

revelations and ac3 were much the same. you were but one in a group of assassins so I would think in future tailoring a story that focuses more on the brotherhood than an individual would be a pretty easy step to take. and would allow for fully coop gameplay start to finish.

I just hate this concept that stories have to be single player experiences and multiplayer has to be competitive. should be able to share these epic stories in these games alongside friends.

this is why I liked future soldier so much. its far from the best shooter I ever played. at times I got really frustrated with the restriced levels and linear paths preventing us from using certain tactics. but clearing that full campaign with 3 friends was so much more awesome than playing it solo. sadly its something that's incredibly rare to find in games as its nearly all pvp.

so hopefully there will at some point be an assassins creed games or games that we can truly coop our way through the story if we choose

Journey93
08-16-2014, 01:22 PM
I don't care hell its a good thing
Assassins Creed has always been a franchise focused on Singleplayer and I wouldn't have it any other way
sure they can always add multiplayer (Co-op this time) but please don't waste too many resources on that Ubisoft!

pacmanate
08-16-2014, 01:30 PM
I dont think a lot of resources went on Co-op... From what I understand they are just assassin contracts in black boxes but playing them with your friends.

AherasSTRG
08-16-2014, 01:32 PM
First of all, the CO-OP was to get people's attention, it would never be the main focus of the game.

With that said, I believe that 11 main missions + 4 DLC missions (a good guess) would be a great number of CO-OP missions to play with your buddies, especially since most of them will have a high replayability value.

pacmanate
08-16-2014, 01:36 PM
And you can play them by yourself which is cool! I wonder if these will replace assassin contracts

DumbGamerTag94
08-16-2014, 02:26 PM
My guess is there will be a bunch of DLC Co-op missions and heists. Since they won't be putting out multiplayer maps for DLC anymore.

I would expect perhaps 4-6 missions of each type to come out in DLC packs. Probably with packs consisting of 2 assassinations and 2 heists. Likely 2 or 3 of those packs would be released.

And given the size of unity and the focus on Co-op I think it's more likely that they focus DLC on missions like these. And I would personally be surprised if they have a story DLC like Freedom Cry or TOKW for the simple reason that they will most likely focus their assets on adding content to improve the new Co-op experience.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-16-2014, 02:37 PM
I honestly thought that you could play the whole game single player AND/OR co-op with friends, considering it was supposedly focused on the co-op aspect and such.

But now that that's cleared up, I wonder if that will make a difference in objective synchronizations by a big degree.

Legendz54
08-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Eh, I would rather have separate missions just for Co op, If i had friends playing with me in the main campaign they would just steal my kills and ruin my plans..

SHADOWGARVIN
08-16-2014, 03:04 PM

Some of the 11 brotherhood missions are heist missions.

Dome500
08-16-2014, 05:39 PM
I think 11 are okay considering most games have 8 - 14 coop missions max.

But I also think the 11 missions are Brotherhood missions and then there are the Heist missions (comparable with the Deniable Ops Missions in Splinter Cell Conviction).

I-Like-Pie45
08-16-2014, 05:49 PM
How ironic that a game about assassinating people is presumably getting multiplayer heists before a certain other open-world game that was advertised around heists...

SHADOWGARVIN
08-16-2014, 06:12 PM
I think 11 are okay considering most games have 8 - 14 coop missions max.

But I also think the 11 missions are Brotherhood missions and then there are the Heist missions (comparable with the Deniable Ops Missions in Splinter Cell Conviction).

Did you watch the interview i posted a couple of days ago? Alex Amancio clearly says that some of the brotherhood missions are heist missions.

Jexx21
08-16-2014, 06:16 PM

Check it out.

Heist missions are part of the 11 co-op missions

Hardly an hour. The E3 demo took about 5 minutes, and they were taking their sweet time.

Uh, that was just an E3 demo to show off the co-op. It's not like that's the full co-op mission. There are different sorts of co-op missions, assassinations, protections, heists, etc. as far as I can tell. They have three sections in all according to the GameInformer info, and they have different ways to tackle each section.

Not to mention there's free-roam co-op as well.

CSKarasu
08-16-2014, 06:22 PM
Any mention of what the rewards are for these missions?

Jexx21
08-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Fun and camaraderie

probably money, maybe gear pieces, most definitely sync (skill) points.

SHADOWGARVIN
08-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Any mention of what the rewards are for these missions?

The reward for the heist missions is money. How much money depends on how many times you get spotted.
Other rewards are most likely skill points and gear elements.

dandins
08-16-2014, 06:35 PM
i was also wondering about the way that coop works. every player plays arno actually - you just look different on tge screen of somebody else.

Jexx21
08-16-2014, 06:37 PM
The co-op missions in Unity have their own singular stories, the co-op missions dont follow a specific story path. However, the co-op missions are supposed to tell the stories of the Assassin Brotherhood. It shows us how they get involved with the French Revolution on a more in depth scale than what the single player is going to tell us, because the single-player is all about Arno, all about what Arno wants to do and his motivations. The co-op missions will probably have some cutscenes that have us interact with some of the notable figures in the revolution, although I wouldn't promise for their to be that many cutscenes.

What you want (the OP), sounds like a separate co-op mode, with it's own characters and an over-arching storyline. You won't find that in Unity's co-op missions, unless you count the French Revolution as the over-arching storyline, but there's no specific order to the co-op missions themselves. The reason why they did this is because they didn't want to separate these things into different "modes," they feel like that throws players off of actually trying these things out, and they're aiming for a more seamless, more immersive experience.

As I said earlier, each co-op mission has three parts, and each of these three parts reportedly have different ways to accomplish them. It is said that each co-op mission should take 30-40 minutes, and if you explore everything in depth, I have no doubt that it could take that long. With your example from Splinter Cell: Blacklist, I've played some of those co-op missions for up to an hour. I actually think that Blacklist is a good example of how to do the co-op missions.

11 missions is a good amount, and I'm sure that they'll have a good amount of content and will be satisfactory.

CalvyB
08-16-2014, 06:48 PM
I honestly thought that you could play the whole game single player AND/OR co-op with friends, considering it was supposedly focused on the co-op aspect and such. .

basically what I was thinking aswell. I was hoping to play the whole game with friends.

Fatal-Feit
08-16-2014, 11:19 PM
basically what I was thinking aswell. I was hoping to play the whole game with friends.

That would drastically lower the standards for these games. Don't worry, you will have plenty to do with your friends.

CalvyB
08-17-2014, 05:48 PM
That would drastically lower the standards for these games. Don't worry, you will have plenty to do with your friends.
How would playing with friends lower the standards of the game?

why do stories have to be single player? especially when in recent games the story effectively revolves around the brotherhood as a whole.

if I can have 4 of 5 npc recruits helping me out at any point in the game why can't one of my friends?

SlyTrooper
08-17-2014, 06:39 PM

why do stories have to be single player? especially when in recent games the story effectively revolves around the brotherhood as a whole.

if I can have 4 of 5 npc recruits helping me out at any point in the game why can't one of my friends?

Because AC is & always will be a singleplayer game. The story & immersion would be crap if they try to shove in coop. What's wrong with having some coop specific missions? Personally, I'll probably do them on my own first so I can experience it peacefully. I don't want my friends running in & ruining everything because they're bored.

Fatal-Feit
08-17-2014, 06:55 PM

That's because you aren't having 4 or 5 recruits helping you out at any point in the game. Also, having the luxury of single-players allows for more freedom and flexibility in story telling.

ShadowSolaris7
08-18-2014, 09:23 AM
Because AC is & always will be a singleplayer game. The story & immersion would be crap if they try to shove in coop. What's wrong with having some coop specific missions? Personally, I'll probably do them on my own first so I can experience it peacefully. I don't want my friends running in & ruining everything because they're bored.

I would rather play the Brotherhood missions with another friend first before playing them myself but whatever we shall see.

jeordievera
08-18-2014, 09:29 AM
That's exactly how I will play them because I don't want anyone else to kill the target :) Probably I will try to upgrade Arno as much as possible and then try co complete the Brotherhood missions. Playing with friends is fun, but it usually gets really messy because everyone wants to their own thing..

HiddenKiller612
08-18-2014, 09:43 AM
if there is no co-op trophies.... I'll just play them all myself and be done with them... if there is co-op trophies... I'll play them solo first, and then play them with friends. I don't like relying on people for missions....

Fatal-Feit
08-18-2014, 09:47 AM
if there is no co-op trophies.... I'll just play them all myself and be done with them... if there is co-op trophies... I'll play them solo first, and then play them with friends. I don't like relying on people for missions....

...So what difference does trophies actually make when it comes to you playing with friends...?

HiddenKiller612
08-18-2014, 09:53 AM
...So what difference does trophies actually make when it comes to you playing with friends...?
I collect trophies in the assassin's creed games, if they have some that say play x- amount of the co-op missions with other players... I'll play with my friends because of that... otherwise I'm not really into co-op. I'm going to play this as a straight up singleplayer only game.

Sesheenku
08-18-2014, 09:57 AM
I collect trophies in the assassin's creed games, if they have some that say play x- amount of the co-op missions with other players... I'll play with my friends because of that... otherwise I'm not really into co-op. I'm going to play this as a straight up singleplayer only game.

You collect AC trophies.

Ah... my poor man. The suffering you must wade through, the busy work and mindless nights of grinding away.

Truly you are the son of Creed.

HiddenKiller612
08-18-2014, 10:00 AM
You collect AC trophies.

Ah... my poor man. The suffering you must wade through, the busy work and mindless nights of grinding away.

Truly you are the son of Creed.
lol nah... It's enjoyable. the only platinum I do not have is for the original game... and that's because Ubi won't patch in trophies :(

Fatal-Feit
08-18-2014, 10:04 AM

That's cool. At least you're not restricted. More challenge for ze masteh azzazzino.

I'll be honest, I actually really, really want to try those 5 star missions first before inviting friends.

HiddenKiller612
08-18-2014, 10:05 AM
That's cool. At least you're not restricted. More challenge for ze masteh azzazzino.
Indeed, I'm always up for a challenge :D

Sesheenku
08-18-2014, 10:12 AM
lol nah... It's enjoyable. the only platinum I do not have is for the original game... and that's because Ubi won't patch in trophies :(

You're a trooper dude, I won't even 100% sync the games lol, especially not 3. Much less do anything else in 4 like collect all the treasures.

HiddenKiller612
08-18-2014, 10:16 AM
You're a trooper dude, I won't even 100% sync the games lol, especially not 3. Much less do anything else in 4 like collect all the treasures.
they've only become easier as the games progress to get all the trophies... Hell, AC4 didn't require me to get all the treasures for a trophy... 100% sync can be a hassle, but I've done some cool things because of trophies... Like in Revelations, where I jumped off a building, opened a parachute and landed on a zipline... that was kind of difficult to achieve... but fun.

AherasSTRG
08-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Collecting all the treasures is actually really fun and help you see the beauty of the open world of the Carribean.

Hans684
08-18-2014, 11:48 AM
11 missions is enough if you actually explore the place. Finding the best way and that supports your gameplay style. I get easily get 30+, think Dishonored but third person and not steampunk.

RealRonaldo09
08-18-2014, 01:11 PM
I for one am happy with 11 missions, wasn't expecting so many to be honest. This is probably the thing im looking forward to, me and my brother creating havoc round the streets of Paris.

Jexx21
08-18-2014, 06:59 PM

But it's there, just dangling in front of your face, ready for you to take hold of it.

Just like skill points and skills and weapons :P

Sesheenku
08-18-2014, 07:02 PM
But it's there, just dangling in front of your face, ready for you to take hold of it.

Just like skill points and skills and weapons :P

Skills and weapons are rewarding.

Getting a little meaningless symbol so that I can say I got a meaningless symbol is not.

Collecting the pittance stored in those unsavory chests is an inefficient waste of time when I can dive or treasure hunt and collect more than 10x what those little boxes have and upgrade my ship fully without them.

I really don't care for pointless busy work.

LeVoyageur07
08-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Collecting all the treasures is actually really fun and help you see the beauty of the open world of the Carribean.

I agree, that was fun thing to do on some evenings where I only had 1 hour available to play.
Just sail and explore.