PDA

View Full Version : GS: How the Assassinations in Assassin's Creed Unity Encourage Patience & Creativity

Sushiglutton
08-13-2014, 05:18 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-the-assassinations-in-assassins-creed-unity-en/1100-6421677/

More info + video interview if you follow the link :D!

"There are two key differences between these black box missions and the way assassinations functioned back in the original Assassin's Creed. For one thing, there are a lot more contextual clues for you to pick up on that could influence how you pursue your target. According to Ubisoft, that could mean eavesdropping for potentially useful information, or searching around for ways to access hidden access points."

"The advantage to this assassination is that it's done in secret, behind closed doors, and with no witnesses save for the poor guy who walks in to atone for his latest indiscretion only to find a corpse in his seat. That's a part of Ubisoft's focus on the exfiltration side of assassinations. In the original game, a kill triggered a long conversation between Altair and the target, followed by a checkpoint. That meant you could pretty much rush toward your target, land a sloppy kill, and know that the toughest part was over and you could brute force your way to safety after enough attempts.

In Unity, Ubisoft wants to make players work for it a little harder. Players won't succeed in an assassination until they've made a full getaway. There were plenty of times in the demo where Arno, lurking above his target up in the rafters of the cathedral or outside on the rooftops, could have simply done a vertcal takedown on Sivert. But that meant staging a murder amidst a crowd of people and, more importantly, guards. Now that Ubisoft claims it's focused on making combat much more challenging in this game, that may not be the best approach."

I approve of this :)!

AherasSTRG
08-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Me too. Amancio might actually enter the Pantheon of beloved AC developers if the game ends up as he describes it to be.

Jexx21
08-13-2014, 05:28 PM
You mean all of the AC developers aren't beloved?

Blasphemy!

AherasSTRG
08-13-2014, 05:43 PM
You mean all of the AC developers aren't beloved?

Blasphemy!

Tell me how much you love Hutchinson.

I-Like-Pie45
08-13-2014, 05:49 PM
NO NO NO, JEXX

JUST PATRICE AND ASHRAF

Be sure to brush and wash afterwards, sonny! Heh...

AherasSTRG
08-13-2014, 05:53 PM
Yeah. Patrice is the Father and Ashraf the Son. Amancio might end up occuppying the spot of the Holy Spirit.

Jexx21
08-13-2014, 06:25 PM

I do love Hutchinson. AC3 wasn't given enough dev time to come to full fruition, and Hutchinson's work on Far Cry 4 looks spectacular.

I would love for Hutchinson to develop another AC game.

and tbh, I wasn't all that happy with Black Flag. I really hate it's progression system in terms of Edward and side missions. The Jackdaw progression was good though.

Assassin_M
08-13-2014, 06:30 PM
I don't "love" Hutchinson but I greatly respect and appreciate his work on AC III and bringing it to this level. His game is still the best selling game in the franchise, so. Anyways, I don't hate or love the developers.

AherasSTRG
08-13-2014, 06:36 PM
I don't hate him either, but I do love Ashraf. The guy was just so honest and straight forward about anything Black Flag related that made me respect him as a person. Hutchinson on the other hand did not deliver on what he was talking about. Respectful job, sure, but I consider him to be just another developer.

Jexx21
08-13-2014, 06:44 PM
I honor all the developers because they all do hard work.

Assassin_M
08-13-2014, 06:49 PM
I don't hate him either, but I do love Ashraf. The guy was just so honest and straight forward about anything Black Flag related that made me respect him as a person. Hutchinson on the other hand did not deliver on what he was talking about. Respectful job, sure, but I consider him to be just another developer.
Well, I highly loathe the "just another developer" part because you know...those are the people that make you the games and about not delivering, that's another story--one that I talked about in length and I don't need to talk about again right now, to be honest.

I-Like-Pie45
08-13-2014, 10:39 PM
You got a bit of somethin' on your nose, laddie.

Let me get it offa ye. Heheheheheheh