PDA

View Full Version : AC: Unity simply has the perfect setting

ZeCakeIsAPie
08-13-2014, 04:57 AM
I thought longly about it and I cannot think of any setting which would have fit the Assassin's Creed spirit better than Paris in chaos during the Revolution.

1. Paris is a very old and large and somewhat diverse city, and urban gameplay has always been the core of any AC game. (a lot of nice parkouring to do)
2. Plenty of gigantic and beautiful buildings to climb up to and visit, which makes every area unique and recognizable (that was somewhat lacking in recent games)
3. The catacombs. How are those not perfect for tomb-raiding as in the games set in Italy ? Mazes, traps and creepy skulls everywhere under the streets !
4. The large number of citizens will introduce us to the real aspect of "the blade in the crowd" or "invisible but in plain sight". Also, the raging mobs seem interesting.
5. The political environment is fitting : lots of public executions to interrupt, and a real reason why guards won't be alarmed by a player-made massacre in a street.
6. The era introduces us with really interesting political figures and dilemnas close to the AC in-game debates (tyranny, is true freedom a good thing or even possible).

It mixes every good bit about the oldest installations of the Franchise in terms of ambiance and the newest in term of gameplay possibilities without venturing on too modern an era (so as to keep a manageable and flavorous gameplay) or too complex a situation.

What about YOU ?

Do you think they could have chosen an even better setting ? If so, name it and explain, keep comparisons in mind so as to not derail the thread too much.

Can you come up with more even more reasons as to why this is the perfect one ? Express yourself.
Or if you are dissatisfied by the setting, explain your reasoning, it really interests me to know !

/trollmode on : another good reason to like this particular setting : it is NOT feudal Japan (yes it IS a valid advantage) /trollmode : off (IMHO).

Sigv4rd
08-13-2014, 06:04 AM
Well keep in mind that you haven't actually gotten the chance to play the game yet... The setting seems great based on what they have shown us thus far, but I have my concerns.

-The size of Paris has me concerned, I thought that Ubisoft learned with AC3 & AC4 that bigger is not always better. Boston, New York, and the Frontier were way too impractically massive with not enough content in between.
-I wish we could have more than one city, I don't really like it when AC gives us a single large map...
-Did we really need another two 18th century games?!

I still think another setting could have worked fine...

Assassin_M
08-13-2014, 06:45 AM
To be honest, I don't like Paris because it's similar to Venice or that has the spirit of the Renaissance about it, none of that and I think parkour was always great in every AC game so I don't think Paris is bringing something back that was gone.

Paris is its own setting and it'll serve as another awesome setting that expands on the rich history of settings this series brought. Awesome setting...wish there was a more neutral option.

poptartz20
08-13-2014, 07:18 AM
I like the idea of Paris, because of the gritty and brutal-ness behind it, also because of what it established. There were many ideas going around and factions popping up, and even thought there was one common goal, people couldn't necessarily on how to reach that goal. Then you have the assassins with their own agenda and beliefs taking matters in their own hands, taking advantage of the chaos. I think it's just overall a great mesh.

Darkljolly
08-13-2014, 08:53 AM
Nothing will beat the crystal waters, swaying palm trees, winding jungles and bustling villages of the Carribean for me. But I'll make do with Paris, offers a nice contrast in atmosphere.

m4r-k7
08-13-2014, 11:28 AM
I think Paris definitely beats AC 3 and AC 4's setting (although AC 4 was absolutely stunning), but I still think AC 1's middle eastern setting during the crusades was the best. But I am definitely looking forward to Paris, its a great setting for an AC game and I was expecting it to come up eventually.

jeordievera
08-13-2014, 12:35 PM
To be honest, I don't like Paris because it's similar to Venice or that has the spirit of the Renaissance about it, none of that and I think parkour was always great in every AC game so I don't think Paris is bringing something back that was gone.

Paris is its own setting and it'll serve as another awesome setting that expands on the rich history of settings this series brought. Awesome setting...wish there was a more neutral option.
Waaat? Have you ever been to any of these cities? They look nothing alike. Paris has higher buildings, wider streets, hasn't got water canals all over the city. I bet you will get other feeling walking the streets of Paris :) Also in Venice the buildings are pretty much the same hight, in Paris not so much, so the parkour will be quite different I believe.

Namikaze_17
08-13-2014, 02:52 PM
First, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!

And yeah, I'm excited for Paris......as much I loved AC3/ AC4, I always thought the cities lacked something that Paris has. But I hate how people are already putting this to an AC2.5 standard instead of judging it as it's own game. So like M, I hope Paris doesn't remind me of an AC2 city.....even though I thought they looked beautiful.....it's just time to let it go is all I'm saying.

AC2/Ezio =/= AC Franchise

Megas_Doux
08-13-2014, 03:12 PM
I loved AC IVīs setting and overall atmosphere, but a huge urban envinroment was needed and we have it at its full potential.......

I-Like-Pie45
08-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Perfect?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

What a joke! HEHEHEHEHEH

Sushiglutton
08-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Agreed, can't think of a better one. Great reasons btw!

Perfect?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

What a joke! HEHEHEHEHEH

Lol Pie, I like you :)!

ze_topazio
08-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Perfect setting would be Portugal.

AherasSTRG
08-13-2014, 05:44 PM
If only Ancient Greece had taller buildings...

ZeCakeIsAPie
08-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Perfect setting would be Portugal.

I genuinely want to know what makes you say so.

Assassin_M
08-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Waaat? Have you ever been to any of these cities? They look nothing alike. Paris has higher buildings, wider streets, hasn't got water canals all over the city. I bet you will get other feeling walking the streets of Paris :) Also in Venice the buildings are pretty much the same hight, in Paris not so much, so the parkour will be quite different I believe.
I think you misread what I wanted to say or words betrayed me in that post. I'm not saying they're similar, I'm saying I like Paris but not because it's similar to past cities (because some people think so) I completely disagree with anyone that thinks Paris resembles anything from AC II-ACB era.