PDA

View Full Version : AC Rogue Teased Throughout Black Flag

S0ckPuppet
08-12-2014, 04:22 AM
The other day I was going through Black Flag completing the story 100% when I noticed a couple of things.

Now that Rogue is out of the bag and we know some details about it, I came across 2 things so far.

First, when Edward is meeting with Torres for the first time, posing as Duncan Walpole, learning how to use your pistols etc.
Torres commented on how there was a James Puckle working on something grand.
Now, from the details we know about Rogue is that Shay's ship the Morrigan, has Puckle guns equipped for it.

Secondly, when Edward gets found out when he goes to save the Sage, Torres calls him a Rogue. With a capital R.
I know a lot of words in Black Flag are capitalized but this one sticks out for obvious reasons.

This isn't really major but it's one of those things that gets put in these Creed games just for letting us know without knowing.

If you guys also came across something let me know.

Assassin_M
08-12-2014, 04:24 AM
Assassins Creed II had the word "Come" in it...OMG, it was referring to Comet.

JustPlainQuirky
08-12-2014, 04:25 AM
.........................eh, those sound like stretches OP.

If anything Rogue was teased with the Aquilla shown shipwrecked in AC3.

And the database entry of Desmond pondering what Haytham did to rid of the Colonial Assassins.

LoyalACFan
08-12-2014, 04:32 AM
The Puckle Gun thing is definitely a tease, I mean come on, that's pretty obscure. We're supposed to believe that they just threw that reference in there and later decided independently to use that exact same weapon in the sequel? :rolleyes:

But the Rogue thing is nothing, they capitalize every noun in the game as an homage to the style used in Charles Johnson's General History of the Pyrates, which was apparently one of Darby's main resources since he name-checked Johnson in the Desmond recordings as well.

GoldenBoy9999
08-12-2014, 04:46 AM
The Puckle thing is interesting thanks for that info. I didn't know it was a last name.

S0ckPuppet
08-12-2014, 04:53 AM
I know right? But about the name thing, they could have used any other word but they went and used THAT one.

DumbGamerTag94
08-12-2014, 05:01 AM
I don't buy the use of the word rogue as a tease that's a real stretch. It just seems to me like a natural word to throw in there to diversify your wording in the script rather than repeating the word Pirate 1000000 times over in the game. They just went with a synonym.

The Puckle thing tho was definitely a tease/easter egg i actually remembered that reference when I read the GI article.

Moultonborough
08-12-2014, 05:28 AM
Only thing I can think of is the "Templar Armor" looks exactly like what he is wearing in the promo shots.

guardian_titan
08-12-2014, 05:29 AM
People can create things that can blend into what exists already by latching onto various references (such as Puckle). Just shows the writer that came later was paying attention to earlier works and wanted to tie it back to those. You see it often enough with Sherlock Holmes stories written today. It's also the case of the Marvel movies, Disney princess movies, etc. Doesn't mean the new work was made with the original writer's input or the two were even made together. Would seem Unity's story was only written in the past year (judging from the writer for Unity only being hired roughly a year ago by Ubisoft) so Rogue likely isn't much older. That would put both being written after AC4 was pretty much in beta.

With that, any references Rogue and Unity appear to have to AC4 were something added into those games after Darby already wrote AC4. It's like a builder placing a few stones and another builder comes along later who gets told he has to continue building but can't move the existing stones. The new builder is then told he has to incorporate the stones into his building as well. AC3 would have no reference to either Unity or Rogue since neither were likely outside of preliminary story planning at the time while AC4 just had really vague references (if there even were any). Any references we might find from earlier games going forward are just cases of later writers latching onto a certain detail.

If the writer for Rogue was paying attention to dialogue in AC4, makes me wonder how much he paid attention to AC3 (to Haytham's part at least). I can't help but feel there will be a few retcons to pigeonhole Haytham into a cameo. But maybe the writer wrote the story intelligently and made sure to keep within what existed in AC3 and AC4. I suppose we'll see soon enough.

LoyalACFan
08-12-2014, 08:55 AM
People can create things that can blend into what exists already by latching onto various references (such as Puckle). Just shows the writer that came later was paying attention to earlier works and wanted to tie it back to those. You see it often enough with Sherlock Holmes stories written today. It's also the case of the Marvel movies, Disney princess movies, etc. Doesn't mean the new work was made with the original writer's input or the two were even made together. Would seem Unity's story was only written in the past year (judging from the writer for Unity only being hired roughly a year ago by Ubisoft) so Rogue likely isn't much older. That would put both being written after AC4 was pretty much in beta.

With that, any references Rogue and Unity appear to have to AC4 were something added into those games after Darby already wrote AC4. It's like a builder placing a few stones and another builder comes along later who gets told he has to continue building but can't move the existing stones. The new builder is then told he has to incorporate the stones into his building as well. AC3 would have no reference to either Unity or Rogue since neither were likely outside of preliminary story planning at the time while AC4 just had really vague references (if there even were any). Any references we might find from earlier games going forward are just cases of later writers latching onto a certain detail.

If the writer for Rogue was paying attention to dialogue in AC4, makes me wonder how much he paid attention to AC3 (to Haytham's part at least). I can't help but feel there will be a few retcons to pigeonhole Haytham into a cameo. But maybe the writer wrote the story intelligently and made sure to keep within what existed in AC3 and AC4. I suppose we'll see soon enough.

The final script is one of the last things to be finished on a game though. Things change, missions get altered (an excellent example being the fire of New York that was cut mere months before release and replaced with the Benjamin Tallmadge mission). The idea for the puckle gun probably arose during discussions about gameplay in the very early stages of Rogue's development in 2012 or early 2013, while AC4's script was still a work in progress, so they stuck the Puckle reference in there as an inside joke. I really don't think Rogue's gameplay designers paid such close attention to AC4's script that they chose to include some random gun that was given a passing mention in one conversation.

Fatal-Feit
08-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Half life 3 confirmed.

AherasSTRG
08-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Only thing I can think of is the "Templar Armor" looks exactly like what he is wearing in the promo shots.

All of Ah Tabai's Assassins wear the same outfit and noone bats an eye. Two Templars wear the same armor and everyone loses their minds!

If anything Rogue was teased with the Aquilla shown shipwrecked in AC3.

I wish. But according to the official wiki, the Aquila was nearly destroyed by a Templar ambush in 1768, 6 years after the events told in Rogue.

jayjay275
08-12-2014, 03:06 PM

I chuckled. :o

JustPlainQuirky
08-12-2014, 03:21 PM
@aher

ah, really?

nhgh well maybe the time extends...

AherasSTRG
08-12-2014, 03:32 PM
@aher

ah, really?

nhgh well maybe the time extends...

At first, I was also fascinated by the idea. But, unfortunately, the dates do not connect : /.

Maybe Aquila was the brig to end The Morrigan's reign of the North Atlantic, though :cool:.

Megas_Doux
08-12-2014, 03:42 PM
If anything, think it was Unity the one teased in AC IV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KymvCyRV1Is

2:00

Edward: So what'll you do with your share of the gold we take from governor Torres? Return to Africa? Prince among men?
Adéwalé: I cannot return to a place I have never been. I was born in Trinidad, a slave from my first breath.
Edward: Ah. But wouldn't you feel... I don't know... More welcome there?
Adéwalé: As you might feel more welcome in Paris?
Edward: Fair point.

pacmanate
08-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Lol whut?

So referencing someone in that time period = Rogue teased?
Rogue being capitalized = Hint at Rogue?

Firstly, there are a lot of things capitalized in Black Flag, that's due to to something to do with the language back then I believe

Landruner
08-12-2014, 08:17 PM

Edward had a boat in AC Black Flag...that was a teaser for AC Rogue,,,I am sure, it was a clue!!!!

Hans684
08-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Edward had a boat in AC Black Flag...that was a teaser for AC Rogue,,,I am sure, it was a clue!!!!

B–b– a BOAT?! She's a SHIP, boy, and make no mistake about it!

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-12-2014, 09:01 PM
B–b– a BOAT?! She's a SHIP, boy, and make no mistake about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u0wg3t6osM

pacmanate
08-12-2014, 09:59 PM
You guys are looking for clues so bad.

Seriously, that Paris quote?

S0ckPuppet
08-18-2014, 11:38 PM
Also, I just found that when Edward killed Julien Du Casse, Du Casse calls him a rogue. The word rogue is only used in the entire game 3 times. Every other word they use that would mean the same thing is overly used more than 14 times apiece. If any one is a true hardcore fan of Ubisoft and AC, than they know that Ubi does not do ANYTHING without careful thought and meaning into it. Also that Paris one was nice to. And to top it all off, we will see Coonor in the game, probably helping Arno as a master assassin because Connor goes to see La Fayette in Paris. La Fayette is in AC Unity. :)

AherasSTRG
08-19-2014, 01:04 AM
Rogue and Unity are two different games. And Connor won't appear in Unity.

StocktonBrawler
08-19-2014, 01:30 AM

Probably won't appear in rogue either.

JustPlainQuirky
08-19-2014, 01:41 AM
Probably won't appear in rogue either.

Actually...:rolleyes:

Darkljolly
08-19-2014, 02:26 AM

BLASHPHEMY , Connor will appear in all the future AC games, Connor will be a pizza delivery guy in the present day game