PDA

View Full Version : Il 2 spawning

GregL71
08-10-2014, 05:34 PM
I have watched this video a couple of times. It appears to show how to fly an 'unflyable' plane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjZ_BxXP__k
This is apparently achieved by editing the mission, offline, to include the unflyable plane as a second plane for the pilot.
At some stage whilst flying the main aircraft a 'spawn' is forced, and the unflyable aircraft is magically selected and flown.

How do we force a spawn?

Greg

Tully__
08-11-2014, 04:24 AM
You don't force a spawn. It's done in multiplayer dogfight mode which allows respawn at will. With the stock game, this trick only works in dogfight mode multiplayer so you'll need to find (or run) a server in that mode if you want to play with other players while flying aircraft not intended for human pilots. There's a couple of other things to remember too:

The "non-flyable" aircraft don't have internal cockpit models, in the stock game you can only fly them from external view (F2 by default). If you're setting up the server yourself, you'll need to remember to set the "No External Views" difficulty setting to off.
You can't select a non-flyable even if it's in the mission until you selected and spawned in a flyable type.
In the stock game, the flight models for the non-flyable variants are a bit simplified to ease load on the AI calculations. Their performance and handling is sometimes a little suspect. It's not wildly unrealistic but is not as detailed as the flyable types.

GregL71
08-11-2014, 09:18 AM
You don't force a spawn. It's done in multiplayer dogfight mode which allows respawn at will.

That is the bit which I do not know.
How do I 'respawn at will'?

Tully__
08-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Sorry, misunderstood.
Assuming you know how to spawn for the first time on joining the server:

Press ESC to bring up the escape menu
Select "Refly" to return to the base selection map.
Change base if required by clicking on the desired base.
Select "arming" to go to the aircraft and loadout screen, pick a new aircraft
Press the "Apply" button, then the "Fly" button.

If you're not sure how to spawn in the first place, when you first create the server and select a mission or join a running server, you'll come at the base selection map (step 2).

GregL71
08-11-2014, 06:00 PM
That worked perfectly.
Thanks Tully