PDA

View Full Version : I just realized something about Shay's outfit...

THE_JOKE_KING33
08-10-2014, 01:41 AM
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140805194144/assassinscreed/images/7/7a/ACRG_Shay_Cormac_render.png

Notice Shay's outfit. There was another outfit that looked eerily similar to his:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131119063723/assassinscreed/images/f/f0/AC4_Templar_Armor_outfit.png

(sorry for the crap image, can't find a decent picture of it to save myself)

Edward obviously made some modifications to it (i.e. blackened cuffs, got rid of the hood (or maybe he just tucked it, I always thought the collar looked weird), more red accents, and he's wearing the coat closed as opposed to open).

Maybe Shay escaped/hid in the Caribbean in his later years knowing he wasn't going to be able to keep up killing/escaping from the Assassin's well into old age? Heck, maybe Great Inagua was originally Shay's hideout prior to his death and Julien du Casse claimed it as his hideout at a later point afterwards.

Maybe it isn't Shay's actual outfit (I know some are thinking that), but if it isn't, then the artist took some heavy inspiration from it when designing Shay's (or vice versa).

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 01:42 AM
Someone already pointed this out.

And you need to remember Rogue takes place AFTER black flag. I forgot that too.

AherasSTRG
08-10-2014, 01:44 AM
All of Ah Tabai's Assassins wear the same outfit and noone bats an eye. Two Templars wear the same outfit and everyone loses their minds!

Megas_Doux
08-10-2014, 01:44 AM
Nah! AC IV takes places DECADES before AC Rogue! AC IV begins in 1715 and Rogue in 1752.

However I do think the outfits look WAY to similar,...... Lazyness at its best is my explanation, though.

Xstantin
08-10-2014, 01:45 AM
I was actually trying to figure out the meaning of the Celtic bands on the outfit. I failed miserably.

Fatal-Feit
08-10-2014, 01:49 AM
This have been discussed already, but yeah, they're similar. Shay became a Templar long after the events of AC:IV, so the Great Inagua can't his be original hideout. I believe they're different robes.

THE_JOKE_KING33
08-10-2014, 01:49 AM
And here I thought I stumbled upon something, ah well, just let the topic die then.

rickprog
08-10-2014, 02:04 AM
I was absolutely sure I would see this upon entering the thread.

As I have said on other threads, I would assume that the sort of Templar that Shay is have a particular attire, just like the way Assassins wear similar outfits. That attire is, in this case, what was known on ACBF as Templar Armor (the name says it all: it's an armor templars use). Shay's attire has some slight differences, but it's overall the same thing.

Jexx21
08-10-2014, 02:14 AM
Nah! AC IV takes places DECADES before AC Rogue! AC IV begins in 1715 and Rogue in 1752.

However I do think the outfits look WAY to similar,...... Lazyness at its best is my explanation, though.

I hate it when people talk about laziness in game development.

Landruner
08-10-2014, 02:45 AM

Megas Doux is right except that it is not really laziness in game development that explains the similarity of the outfits, but indeed the development restrictions caused by the executives of the company.

In short: do the best with the assets from the past games we give you, because you won't get more time and money than that, and please be smart in making up some idiotic excuses to the media because it has to look like that you spent years and not months in working on that game.

Megas_Doux
08-10-2014, 03:53 AM

You have a point!

I should have said GREED!!!! The corporate greed that has forced developers to complete games within 11 months, ACR. The same greed that now has left them with no choice but to "re-use" an outfit and even an ENTIRE city in order to meet the deadline of this annual spewing conveyor belt AC is now.

What landruner said, basically.

Fatal-Feit
08-10-2014, 05:04 AM
The outfit looks similar, but they are not the same. Everything aside from their aesthetics were redrawn and rebuilt from the ground up. The body built is different as well. It's hardly enough to call them lazy or greedy.

You might as well call Ezio's brotherhood robe lazy for its similarities to AC:1 and AC:2.'

The city is understandable, though.

D.I.D.
08-10-2014, 11:55 AM
You have a point!

I should have said GREED!!!! The corporate greed that has forced developers to complete games within 11 months, ACR. The same greed that now has left them with no choice but to "re-use" an outfit and even an ENTIRE city in order to meet the deadline of this annual spewing conveyor belt AC is now.

What landruner said, basically.

You're both wrong. They're just creating a Templar style, maybe only for that period, so that we get a recognisable look for each side's agents. That's a good thing.

Silhouette is extremely important in game character design. I'd love to see the series ditch the robes because I think they've become a restrictive detail, limiting the appearance and perhaps even the time periods with which they can sensibly appear. In most of the games we've had already, the "blade in the crowd" sticks out like a sore thumb. However, I do understand why they keep with it, and it comes back to silhouette.

Sooner or later, more big companies are going to attempt to follow the annual model that CoD and AC have both done 'successfully' (in that they have made immense profits), and most of them are going to be the horrific cash-grabs that you imagine AC has become. By then, we will all look more fondly at Ubisoft as the pinnacle of annualised game production. I didn't like ACR, and I didn't like ACIII, but those are two misfires in a series which has dramatically raised its standards over time. AC games age quickly, but it's not the competitors' games that overshadow older ACs so much as the series' own new games. I'll include Watch Dogs in this, since it owes its whole existence to the development of AC and is stylistically on the same branch of the tree (not a great story, but the gameplay is very good indeed).

I often wish Ubisoft would slow down to polish each game, and maybe allow their release windows to slide to the following summer if necessary. They don't, and it's rare that they go badly wrong. Even in their pursuit of profits, they create games that contain an enormous amount of lovingly created detail and artistry. That's not a bad situation at all: all that dedication, combined with the security of financial success. If Ubisoft was what you say it is, the next game in the series would not look like Unity.

ze_topazio
08-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Instead of New York and ships they could have reused the likes of Constantinople, Jerusalem or Venice instead.

AherasSTRG
08-10-2014, 12:38 PM
You're both wrong. They're just creating a Templar style, maybe only for that period, so that we get a recognisable look for each side's agents. That's a good thing.

Oh, alas! A sane man!