PDA

View Full Version : One question, please don't spoil. (Modern day)

Mohamadkaaki
08-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Hey, so I've play assassins creed 3 the last, and I just got blackflag.
My question is, is the modern day story still interesting?
I mean, does it continue from where assassins creed 3 ends?

another question is, should I play unity first? or rogue? I mean, how can they release two if they are both sequels to black flag?

Please try to answer without spoiling the story, just say if it's still interesting like before.

Thanks

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Other people say it's interesting, I personally find it bland. But I'm sure people like jexx and assassin_m will convince you otherwise.

It's a preference thing.

It does continue from AC3 but it's from a different perspective. And you're more of an overlooker this time around than an active participant in modern day events. Your modern day gameplay is limited to walking around and hacking things. Interpret it as you will.

And play in whichever order you like. It doesn't matter.

rob1990312
08-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Maybe we are with templars in one game and Assassins in the other, or even maybe initiates

Mohamadkaaki
08-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Other people say it's interesting, I personally find it bland. But I'm sure people like jexx and assassin_m will convince you otherwise.

It's a preference thing.

It does continue from AC3 but it's from a different perspective. And you're more of an overlooker this time around than an active participant in modern day events. Your modern day gameplay is limited to walking around and hacking things. Interpret it as you will.

And play in whichever order you like. It doesn't matter.

So what I understand, is that the ending of this game (black flag) won't hold a lot of interesting stuff for the modern day? story wise.

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Not really, no. It's just super ambiguous hints as to where the series will go.

And the modern day is only getting progressively less fleshed out if Unity rumors are to be believed. At least in my opinion.

Mohamadkaaki
08-06-2014, 03:42 PM
Not really, no. It's just super ambiguous hints as to where the series will go.

And the modern day is only getting progressively less fleshed out if Unity rumors are to be believed. At least in my opinion.

Too bad, as the reason why I love assassins creed is mostly for it's modern day story! :(

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 03:48 PM
we all have our reasons for liking the franchise. I'm certain modern day will have more relevance in the future, even if the distant future :)

rob1990312
08-06-2014, 03:49 PM
The modern day story could progress alot this year with two games coming out although i doubt it will

Jexx21
08-06-2014, 04:33 PM
AC4 really fleshed out Desmond's character, and it added a lot of lore to the series. It had a strong story arc from beginning, middle, to end, and it gave hints towards what could happen in the future. AC4's modern day really sucked me in and kept me wanting more of it. I thought it was really good.

wvstolzing
08-06-2014, 05:18 PM
As to how modern day might work after AC4, AC Liberation might hold some clues. There, for the first time, the 'modern day aspect' consisted solely in ourselves ('you, the player') interacting with a straight-up 'abstergo entertainment release', discovering things Abstergo didn't intend 'us' to see via Erudito hacks.

That, on its own, is a cool idea; and I expect ACU and ACRo to build on it. Though I still can't come to terms with the Animus becoming a 'game console'. Besides they've pretty much confirmed (see Loomer's interview with Darby) that they'll stretch out the 'Juno threat' storyline to its logical limit. That means the cliffhanger on which AC3 ended (....whoa, she stepped over Desmond's dead body triumphantly into... where??? what will she do???....) will 'hang' for a long time to come.

Jexx21
08-06-2014, 05:48 PM
I think that Unity and Rogue will have similar modern day's, but I don't think they'll be as barebones as Liberation was.

wvstolzing
08-06-2014, 05:59 PM
I think that Unity and Rogue will have similar modern day's, but I don't think they'll be as barebones as Liberation was.

Definitely not; but I think they'll build on that foundation.

In AC4, the 'Animus player' was on a 'development machine', inside the company; here, the 'Animus player' will have to be on a 'commercial product'. Keep in mind that AC4's 'commercial version' for Abstergo was 'Devils of the Caribbean'.

Perhaps ACU and ACRo will start out as bland as 'Devils of the Caribbean', but with successive 'hacks' and whatnot, we'll discover the 'real content'. (e.g., for AC4, that would be the discovery of the Observatory missions, which Abstergo would keep hidden in a commercial product).

..... which inevitably raises the question: What kind of game distribution model does Abstergo have anyway? And where is all that hidden information stored? WHY is it stored at all? What kind of data structure do the games have? Some guy's blood sample inside every game cartridge? Not that the 'old animus' made better sense.

Jexx21
08-06-2014, 06:05 PM
At least for Unity, I'm guessing that you're supposed to be playing as an AC Initiate, and that you're using the Helix Animus, and you're supposed to be training your skills to become an Assassin.

Ureh
08-07-2014, 04:14 AM
@Mohamadkaaki
I thought the AC4 modern story was interesting but also brief. If you do all the hacking and don't rush yourself then it'll help the story feel a little longer. But if you skip all the hacking and exploring, head straight for the mission markers, then it'll feel shorter than AC2 modern day. Still it holds a lot of promise for the future. Give it a try.