PDA

View Full Version : The Age Of Darkness

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2014, 10:31 PM
So I have been away for weeks, since the 19th of July, in the wilderness so now that I am back I kinda wanted to make this thread to serve the purpose of making sure I am all caught up and to make a point. Please bear with me! My OCD demands me to stay completely on top of these things.

AC Unity seems to be the darkest and grittiest AC yet. In trailers like the e3 game plays and Unity Experience trailers and IGN making of episodes, it has a very gritty theme to it. And the Rob Zombie trailer is the most gruesome trailer I have ever seen!

Also came along the Elise Trailer which brings in a nice romantic relationship and possible choice between her and the brotherhood, if I am right?

And now we have Rogue, which promises to bring a very dark story and new mechanics. Assassins will stalk you in the rooftops and crowds, you can break through icebergs and glaciers to get to secret areas..NewYork seems to be the city (Pre fire) with the Appalachian River Valley being the "frontier" area. The game promises to be very very gritty. It also is taking a "big" step in the Kenway saga according to the main site. So other than Achilles and Haytham and Ziio, maybe we will see a very young Connor. There are some parts of the story, like the actual fall of the brotherhood, Ziio and Haytham's split, and Connor's early childhood than are yet to be covered.

I am LOVING the new direction the series is. What do you guys think of the dark direction?

Also, PLEASE PLEASE let me know if I am all caught up on info, and let me know if there is ANYTHING I have missed, no matter how small. Anything from interviews or vids or anything. PLEASE don't hate me!

JustPlainQuirky
08-05-2014, 10:32 PM
I love the dark gritty direction the franchise is going. It pleases me in more ways than one.

Aphex_Tim
08-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Well, you already seem to know a hell of a lot more than I do, so I can't really be of any help... :p
Gonna look up that Rob Zombie trailer now! Didn't even know it existed yet.

m4r-k7
08-05-2014, 10:34 PM
I really like the dark direction its heading for. In terms of gameplay I think Rogue will be more dark just based on Shay - "the assassin hunter" - we will literally be killing assassins, the group which we have been playing for since AC 1
AC Unity's setting will be darker though

Can't wait!

Wolfmeister1010
08-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Haha, thats okay! It reminded me of Dishonored for some reason.

Jexx21
08-05-2014, 10:35 PM
I will be the guiding light through the darkness. Take my hand and you will see the path!

ACfan443
Well, you already seem to know a hell of a lot more than I do, so I can't really be of any help... :p
Gonna look up that Rob Zombie trailer now! Didn't even know it existed yet.

It's the animated short.

marvelfannumber
I also love that the series is going for a darker tone, I really don't want the cartoonishly light hearted tone of the Ezio games to return (excluding AC Rev. becaue that story was.....the best).

GunnerGalactico
08-05-2014, 10:39 PM
I'm open to change. I really don't mind a dark, foreboding setting.

Jexx21
08-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Unity is also reminding me of Dishonored.

Really loving Paris so far. It'll probably be my favorite city in the series.

Hans684
08-05-2014, 10:50 PM
I'm lovin' it.

pacmanate
08-05-2014, 10:52 PM
AC1 - can be considered "Dark" I guess.
AC2/B/R - can be considered "light"
AC3 - Darkish
AC4 - Light

I think we've had a fair mix, I don't think the series is going in a darker direction.

Megas_Doux
08-05-2014, 10:53 PM

I think we've had a fair mix, I don't think the series is going in a darker direction.

Acre was a little bit too dark haha.

ACfan443
08-05-2014, 11:06 PM
AC2/B/R - can be considered "light"
AC3 - Darkish
AC4 - Light

AC1 'can be considered dark'? It was arguably the darkest game in the series. I almost felt the urge to apply eyeliner and sit in my room with the lights switched off and curtains drawn after exploring Acre for prolonged periods of time.

Jexx21
08-05-2014, 11:09 PM
I actually thought AC4 was pretty dark in terms of themes. ACR too.

pacmanate
08-05-2014, 11:17 PM
AC1 'can be considered dark'? It was arguably the darkest game in the series. I almost felt the urge to apply eyeliner and sit in my room with the lights switched off and curtains drawn after exploring Acre for prolonged periods of time.

It was my opinion, didnt want to rub it off as a fact ;p

LoyalACFan
08-05-2014, 11:23 PM
I actually thought AC4 was pretty dark in terms of themes. ACR too.

Same. I read IGN's review praising AC4's "light-hearted" story and I was like... did we even play the same game?

Anyway, welcome back Wolf! I was gonna make a thread the other day asking what happened to you, but realized it would have been kinda pointless unless you were lurking the whole time lol.

JustPlainQuirky
08-05-2014, 11:26 PM
AC3 was a mix of lightheartedness and sorrow, but never felt dark to me. Same with ACIV and Liberation.

Kinda felt the same with the Ezio trilogy aside from Revelations.

Revelations and AC1 felt the "darkest" to me but neither really felt "dark" if you get what I'm saying.

Jexx21
08-05-2014, 11:27 PM
I think ACR, AC3, and AC4 have darker stories in the sense that they all make you question what the characters are doing, more so than in AC1, AC2, or ACB.

LoyalACFan
08-05-2014, 11:29 PM
I think ACR, AC3, and AC4 have darker stories in the sense that they all make you question what the characters are doing, more so than in AC1, AC2, or ACB.

I don't know. AC1's targets all had long-winded death speeches convincing you you were a horrible person, lol.

m4r-k7
08-05-2014, 11:30 PM
AC 1 was definitely dark. The cities, the ruthless guys you had to assassinate, the brutal combat, hard templar knights to kill, tons of death and public hangings.

Jexx21
08-05-2014, 11:31 PM
They actually convinced me they were terrible people who thought they were doing the right thing.

To me AC1 still felt fairly black and white. Not as much as AC2 or ACB, but.. I guess like a light grey and a dark grey.

SixKeys
08-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Unity's only real claim to having a darker, grittier direction is the severed heads in the trailers. Story is what ultimately matters most, and AC hasn't really been on the top of the A-list in the story department so far. They're serviceable stories, but not as great as they could be. For all its flaws and flat character development, AC1 still feels the most genuinely deep to me. AC3 made an effort and definitely feels darker than the Ezio trilogy, but was held back from greatness with poor pacing and characterization.

I feel like AC started off as almost an obscure indie movie and by now every game feels more like a summer blockbuster. Easy to digest, some memorable moments, but no real originality that lingers in your mind long after.

AdamPearce
08-06-2014, 12:21 AM
I feel like AC started off as almost an obscure indie movie and by now every game feels more like a summer blockbuster. Easy to digest, some memorable moments, but no real originality that lingers in your mind long after.

Same here.

Also I wouldn't call it a new direction, more like a return to the source.

killzab
08-06-2014, 12:27 AM
It's probably not going to be as dark as they claim it will be...

AC 1 will probably remain the darkest in the series.

Jexx21
08-06-2014, 12:37 AM
It's probably not going to be as dark as they claim it will be...

AC 1 will probably remain the darkest in the series.

ACR was already way darker than AC1.

killzab
08-06-2014, 12:41 AM

How so ?

AdamPearce
08-06-2014, 02:02 AM

Just because it has night sequences doesn't mean it's darker.

At most, ACR is tragic, not dark, never tried to and surely never was. It brights by it's exotic city and beautiful music. You could say it's mature in some of his theme like the cultural fade, aging, sacrifices, but ti never goes in that hard horrific side of the human condition. You'll never heard of slaves being trade to get drugged so they can better fight. Or seeing a poor workamn getting stabbed to death by his master because he wants fair work hours. Nor will you ever see lying corpses in the entrance of the city or within it's streets.

I'd really like to hear what makes you think this way.

pacmanate
08-06-2014, 02:05 AM

Not for me. ACR had a love story to it. We picked flowers, went on a picnic, helped Sofia get books etc

Aphex_Tim
08-06-2014, 07:12 AM
It's the animated short.

Yeah, I completely missed that one. Just watched it though, Pretty gruesome stuff.
But then again, I suppose it's only fitting since the French revolution was simply a very gruesome period in history.
So far, AC has always been kind of tame in depicting certain events in history. Ubi simply can't always keep that up, especially with a setting like the French revolution.

AdamPearce
08-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Not for me. ACR had a love story to it. We picked flowers, went on a picnic, helped Sofia get books etc

Love stories can be set in a dark environment, see Game of Thrones, but I get your point.

SixKeys
08-06-2014, 11:48 AM
How was ACR dark? It had some of the silliest moments in the history of the franchise. Ahmet skyfight, parachute carriage chase, minstrel Ezio, Forum of the Ox cinematic boat chase, exploding Cappadocia, Greek Fire..... AC1 had no silly moments like that at all. Not saying it was perfect, but I just don't see how ACR could be described as dark.

Wolfmeister1010
08-08-2014, 01:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KibYpT3lpI

BAD

ALL YOU HATERS GET OUT THAT WAS AWESOME

I-Like-Pie45
08-08-2014, 01:39 AM
Keep telling yourself that WM

JustPlainQuirky
08-08-2014, 01:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KibYpT3lpI

BAD