PDA

View Full Version : Picking up bodies? AC4/AC Unity

dontstabme_bro
07-27-2014, 09:03 AM
i passed on ac4 after the disappointment that was ac3, but after finding out that the free running controls are being reverted back to the ones in ac1/2/bh/revelations (RT and X/A) and with more freedom in tackling completing objectives i am looking to get back into the series, i was wondering can you pick up dead bodies in ac4? if not, do you think this feature will return or should return in ac:unity?

Locopells
07-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Yes, you can, and I see no reason it shouldn't.

Welcome to the forums!

dontstabme_bro
07-27-2014, 09:35 AM
thanks for the confirmation and thanks for the warm welcome

Jexx21
07-27-2014, 09:51 AM
Actually the parkour controls aren't reverting, they're just advancing.

RT is still sprint and jog, it's just you don't automatically run up walls when you get to them, which is better than any system before because even in AC1-ACR sprinting would automatically take you up walls. I am curious though on how they'll handle the waist-high objects and whether or not we'll jump on top of them. Anyway, yes, RT + X/A will have you ascend up walls, RT + O/B will have you descend down walls, and just plain RT will have you stay on the same level.

I would suggest getting AC4 as it was pretty good, although I also loved AC3 so maybe you won't take my suggestion seriously.

dontstabme_bro
07-27-2014, 10:37 AM
ac4 is only $15 for the 360 on amazon right now, its tempting as i loved the naval combat in ac3, but im pinching pennies right now

as for your rumination about waist high objects, could it be that jumping over things (be it a waist high object or from roof to roof) is "streamlined" to the RT? in ac3 if you held down the RT and X/A connor would jump over things like picket fences and even tombstones, the button scheme also allowed connor to slide under fences with an opening at the bottom ala arkham city, im wondering if these moves are now regulated to RT or if they are still done with RT and X/A, i really hope that jumping from roof to roof is not simply RT but back to how it was with RT and X/A, i want to be able to control where i jump

LoyalACFan
07-27-2014, 10:42 AM
Actually the parkour controls aren't reverting, they're just advancing.

RT is still sprint and jog, it's just you don't automatically run up walls when you get to them, which is better than any system before because even in AC1-ACR sprinting would automatically take you up walls. I am curious though on how they'll handle the waist-high objects and whether or not we'll jump on top of them. Anyway, yes, RT + X/A will have you ascend up walls, RT + O/B will have you descend down walls, and just plain RT will have you stay on the same level.

I would suggest getting AC4 as it was pretty good, although I also loved AC3 so maybe you won't take my suggestion seriously.

Maybe R2 + X makes you leap on top of objects, and R2 + O makes you slide over/under?

dontstabme_bro
07-27-2014, 10:48 AM
i think i have the answer to my worries about the jump button,

This is a really small thing, but well worth mentioning. Compared to recent Assassin's Creed games, I had much more of an onus to use the jump button in this, and just having that freedom to choose when to jump to me is freeing as a player. Can you talk about that design decision?

It's something we added because we wanted to add a layer of mastery to everything, right? So a player that is just casual in the way they navigate might just hold the freerun button and have a very easy playthrough of the city. But if you stick to that, then there's no real way of having mastery of a system. By just adding that jump button, it's not necessary, but it adds efficiency. Then, you add that layer of mastery, that depth that makes the difference between something that is, I think, good or excellent.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/10/assassins-creed-unity-dev-talks-player-freedom-and-open-ended-assassinations/

Sushiglutton
07-27-2014, 11:56 AM
i think i have the answer to my worries about the jump button,

This is a really small thing, but well worth mentioning. Compared to recent Assassin's Creed games, I had much more of an onus to use the jump button in this, and just having that freedom to choose when to jump to me is freeing as a player. Can you talk about that design decision?

It's something we added because we wanted to add a layer of mastery to everything, right? So a player that is just casual in the way they navigate might just hold the freerun button and have a very easy playthrough of the city. But if you stick to that, then there's no real way of having mastery of a system. By just adding that jump button, it's not necessary, but it adds efficiency. Then, you add that layer of mastery, that depth that makes the difference between something that is, I think, good or excellent.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/10/assassins-creed-unity-dev-talks-player-freedom-and-open-ended-assassinations/

Thanks a lot for posting that article! Very interesting with some info I had completely missed (like a jump button). Oh, and welcome to the forums :D!

I just can't wait to test the new parkour system! It sounds like they have realy listened to feedback and gone in a direction which requires some sort of mastery, while keeping it simple to casually explore. If that is true it would be absolutely fantastic!

m4r-k7
07-27-2014, 12:02 PM
From the article:

I got the impression you guys want to go back to more open-ended assassinations during the demo. Was that a founding goal of making Unity?

Yes. We wanted to get a little bit of that back. We have missions—we call them black box missions, it's just an internal term we use for them—they're 360-degree missions. They're situations, like an assassination for example, where you can analyse a geographical area depending on your skills and the tools you have, you can have different approaches and perform the assassination the way you want to do it. And AC1 did that very well. It was limited by different things, by the technology, the level, the depth that was available in terms of gameplay, but now, with everything we've learned and this new technology, all of that put together, we can do it the right way as we always dreamt of achieving.

MUSIC TO MY EARS! FINALLY THE AC 1 OPEN ENDED ASSASSINATIONS ARE BACK!

Jexx21
07-27-2014, 12:32 PM
ac4 is only $15 for the 360 on amazon right now, its tempting as i loved the naval combat in ac3, but im pinching pennies right now

as for your rumination about waist high objects, could it be that jumping over things (be it a waist high object or from roof to roof) is "streamlined" to the RT? in ac3 if you held down the RT and X/A connor would jump over things like picket fences and even tombstones, the button scheme also allowed connor to slide under fences with an opening at the bottom ala arkham city, im wondering if these moves are now regulated to RT or if they are still done with RT and X/A, i really hope that jumping from roof to roof is not simply RT but back to how it was with RT and X/A, i want to be able to control where i jump

I actually felt like I had more control over where I jumped in AC3 and AC4 because I could finally move the joystick while sprinting. I mean, besides the removal of AC2's leap jump, I actually felt like parkour in AC3 and AC4 was an improvement over AC2-ACR. I could still press X while running to jump, and if I reached a spot on a rooftop where I couldn't jump down safely, you would stop, and if I wanted to drop down I could hold RT and O, and I could finally control the camera while sprinting when playing with a gamepad.

I actually liked AC3/AC4's parkour system a whole lot more than the previous iterations. Unity's looks to be an improvement as well.

Fatal-Feit
07-27-2014, 01:54 PM
Tap O or B to pick up a body.

SixKeys
07-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Was it possible to pick up bodies in AC3/AC4? I honestly don't remember.

poptartz20
07-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Was it possible to pick up bodies in AC3/AC4? I honestly don't remember.

In AC3 it was...

Now AC4, for some reason I don't remember. Im about 80% sure it was. There wasn't a lot of need to pick up bodies in that game.

Fatal-Feit
07-27-2014, 04:26 PM
You could pick up bodies in both game. I do it quite a lot in AC:IV, but not in AC:3. The guards are too scattered in AC:3.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-27-2014, 04:28 PM
It was possible in both games to pick up bodies.

JustPlainQuirky
07-27-2014, 04:38 PM
But the real question is can we pick up decapitated heads? :rolleyes:

SHADOWGARVIN
07-27-2014, 04:41 PM
But the real question is can we pick up decapitated heads? :rolleyes:

Maybe you can throw them? Use them as a weapon.

dontstabme_bro
07-27-2014, 09:20 PM
I actually felt like I had more control over where I jumped in AC3 and AC4 because I could finally move the joystick while sprinting. I mean, besides the removal of AC2's leap jump, I actually felt like parkour in AC3 and AC4 was an improvement over AC2-ACR. I could still press X while running to jump, and if I reached a spot on a rooftop where I couldn't jump down safely, you would stop, and if I wanted to drop down I could hold RT and O, and I could finally control the camera while sprinting when playing with a gamepad.

I actually liked AC3/AC4's parkour system a whole lot more than the previous iterations. Unity's looks to be an improvement as well.

yeah you could still press A/X to jump but RT was also the automatic jump button streamlined because of the free running in the trees, in the previous games i would just hold down the RT (jog) and manipulate the camera to a semi top down view to see where the next best roof was that i could jump to or where a railing was that connected buildings, as soon as i found it i would sprint towards it with RT and A/X then make the jump, that was the key, only start sprinting as soon as you found the next roof you could jump to, but in ac3 holding down the RT would have you sprint and the rooftops in that game were not very expansive so to holding down RT was not a good move for me, connor was too fast and i would constantly be jumping off of roofs because RT is a jump button, instead i had to press RT only halfway to jog to actually have time to decipher where the next viable roof or tree connecting to a building was, that's a difficult thing to do when you get caught and that loud dramatic music starts playing and every colonial soldier is shooting at you with supreme accuracy with their muskets, i had too much adrenaline pumping through me to press the RT only halfway, its not right in a assassins creed game that getting around the city on the ground is easier than getting around on the rooftops,

Jexx21
07-27-2014, 10:38 PM
Huh, I never had that problem. I guess it has to do with the ways we play.

SixKeys
07-27-2014, 10:39 PM
It was possible in both games to pick up bodies.

For some reason it wasn't possible in AC Liberation. Since they used the same engine, I was wondering if my mind was playing tricks on me.

Assassin_M
07-27-2014, 10:49 PM
yeah you could still press A/X to jump but RT was also the automatic jump button streamlined because of the free running in the trees, in the previous games i would just hold down the RT (jog) and manipulate the camera to a semi top down view to see where the next best roof was that i could jump to or where a railing was that connected buildings, as soon as i found it i would sprint towards it with RT and A/X then make the jump, that was the key, only start sprinting as soon as you found the next roof you could jump to, but in ac3 holding down the RT would have you sprint and the rooftops in that game were not very expansive so to holding down RT was not a good move for me, connor was too fast and i would constantly be jumping off of roofs because RT is a jump button, instead i had to press RT only halfway to jog to actually have time to decipher where the next viable roof or tree connecting to a building was, that's a difficult thing to do when you get caught and that loud dramatic music starts playing and every colonial soldier is shooting at you with supreme accuracy with their muskets, i had too much adrenaline pumping through me to press the RT only halfway, its not right in a assassins creed game that getting around the city on the ground is easier than getting around on the rooftops,
Never had this problem, I would shamelessly plug in my video comparison of free running in AC II and AC III to show how annoying AC II free running was and how more fun AC III's was in my experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KliH91grW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U79Ge0pCHnA

dontstabme_bro
07-27-2014, 11:41 PM
well to each his own i suppose, i have talked to a couple people that said it was easier to get around the city on the ground than it was on the rooftops in ac3 but they couldn't discern why that was, i just like having the control of what i climb on and where i jump to rather than the one button does all philosophy

Assassin_M
07-27-2014, 11:57 PM
well to each his own i suppose, i have talked to a couple people that said it was easier to get around the city on the ground than it was on the rooftops in ac3 but they couldn't discern why that was, i just like having the control of what i climb on and where i jump to rather than the one button does all philosophy
Yeah same here, i talked to a lot of people who said that AC III was easier, more responsive and more fun. It was always a one button do all philosophy, though...the high profile button sprinted, ran up walls and jumped...same case with AC III, except this time, you don't have to hold 2 buttons, just one.

Fatal-Feit
07-28-2014, 01:29 AM
I prefer tilting/holding the analog and RT a lot more than RT + A due to more control with the Assassin's speed and animations. Also, if you tilt the analog and RT, you won't manually climb.

Moultonborough
07-28-2014, 01:55 AM
Personally I liked the whole one button free-run. Sure.... it wasn't perfect when it came to running down an ally an grabbing a building instead. But overall it was easier in my opinion than holding down two buttons all the time. I'll be sad to see it go. :(

Jexx21
07-28-2014, 02:46 AM
But it isn't really leaving...

You only need to hold a button down when you want to ascend or descend.