PDA

View Full Version : So what about previous characters' robes?

TGPomy9795
07-24-2014, 03:16 AM
Since Unity has a more in-depth character customization (with the ability to change the hood, torso, legs, etc..), will we still see the robes of previous assassins via Uplay like Edward, Connor, Ezio, and Altair? What do you guys think? I sure hope so considering I love revisiting the old characters' outfits in a new setting.

Assassin_M
07-24-2014, 03:20 AM
Meh, no...upgrading to newer engine means that the outfits would be harder to transport thus making them look like crap--case in point Ezio and Altair outfits in AC III.

JustPlainQuirky
07-24-2014, 03:22 AM
Maybe it'll be like a skin? Where you can wear it and it looks like it's on you but you're really wearing the customized outfits.

TGPomy9795
07-24-2014, 03:24 AM
Maybe it'll be like a skin? Where you can wear it and it looks like it's on you but you're really wearing the customized outfits.

That sounds logical. Like you get the benefits of the custom pieces, but the visuals of the "skin?" That's actually a good idea.

@Assassin_M -If they would just take the time to properly weigh the meshes then the outfits would look fine. But for some reason, the only game Altair's robe looked good (and was properly weighted) in was Revelations. I think Connor's looked good in Black Flag, it just lacked his gloves.

LoyalACFan
07-24-2014, 03:33 AM
Meh, no...upgrading to newer engine means that the outfits would be harder to transport thus making them look like crap--case in point Ezio and Altair outfits in AC III.

I would say that, but considering they're revamping the cloth physics and giving us a ton of customization options for co-op anyway, I feel like they're a bit more dedicated to making the outfits look right this time. I personally wouldn't mind having the AC1 and Revelations robes again, but if they gave us an Ezio robe I'm sure it'd be the ACB one again...

Assassin_M
07-24-2014, 03:34 AM
@Assassin_M -If they would just take the time to properly weigh the meshes then the outfits would look fine. But for some reason, the only game Altair's robe looked good (and was properly weighted) in was Revelations. I think Connor's looked good in Black Flag, it just lacked his gloves.
I don't think they'll waste time and resources remaking entire outfits just for nostalgia value. Altair's outfit was good in every game up till AC III because it using the same base engine, once that got upgraded, the outfit's extensions and materials were not properly optimized for the new engine.
Connor's outfit looked good because AC III was running on the same engine as BF

LoyalACFan
07-24-2014, 03:44 AM
I don't think they'll waste time and resources remaking entire outfits just for nostalgia value. Altair's outfit was good in every game up till AC III because it using the same base engine, once that got upgraded, the outfit's extensions and materials were not properly optimized for the new engine.

But what I'm saying is that they're already pouring a lot more time and resources into outfits than they ever have before. Compared to the amount of work they're already doing on presumably dozens of outfits, adding a few legacy ones doesn't seem unreasonable.

Basically, customization was just a little bonus thing in previous games, so the Altair and Ezio robes were just slapped together for nostalgia, but since they're making a huge deal of customization this time around it seems like creating outfits is already much more of a priority than it ever was before.

TGPomy9795
07-24-2014, 04:08 AM
But what I'm saying is that they're already pouring a lot more time and resources into outfits than they ever have before. Compared to the amount of work they're already doing on presumably dozens of outfits, adding a few legacy ones doesn't seem unreasonable.

Basically, customization was just a little bonus thing in previous games, so the Altair and Ezio robes were just slapped together for nostalgia, but since they're making a huge deal of customization this time around it seems like creating outfits is already much more of a priority than it ever was before.

Hopefully. It would be a shame if they stopped giving us the legacy outfits now, considering we've had them all up to this point. I would prefer Ezio's Revelations robes over his brotherhood robes, though.

Assassin_M
07-24-2014, 04:16 AM

Outfits, not legacy outfits...I don't see how in depth customization implies that legacy outfits should be a considerable asset to invest in.

Hopefully. It would be a shame if they stopped giving us the legacy outfits now, considering we've had them all up to this point. I would prefer Ezio's Revelations robes over his brotherhood robes, though.
we'v had tons of traditional things get dropped. beaked hoods, white robes, scars on lips..etc, it wouldnt be unreasonable for them to drop the legacy outfits at some point. I wouldn't miss them, to be honest...they all look so out of place

TGPomy9795
07-24-2014, 04:21 AM
we'v had tons of traditional things get dropped. beaked hoods, white robes, scars on lips..etc, it wouldnt be unreasonable for them to drop the legacy outfits at some point. I wouldn't miss them, to be honest...they all look so out of place
1. Beaked hoods are back in Unity. They were only dropped in Black Flag
2. White robes....doesn't really matter as a lot of people dyed their robes.
3. Scars on lips - Well, come on. Why should different people across multiple generations all have the SAME scar on their lips?

Legacy outfits are different than all of those. They are a link to the past games, a bonus for fans that have stuck around and played through multiple games of the series and continue to do so.

Assassin_M
07-24-2014, 04:46 AM
Legacy outfits are different than all of those. They are a link to the past games, a bonus for fans that have stuck around and played through multiple games of the series and continue to do so.
Legacy outfits are no different than those, they're all links to past games, a bonus for fans that have stuck around and play through multiple games and continue to do so. I don't see how those are different from legacy outfits. you want them? fine, I don't and I don't see any value for them or the want for them. They serve no purpose.

TGPomy9795
07-24-2014, 04:52 AM
Legacy outfits are no different than those, they're all links to past games, a bonus for fans that have stuck around and play through multiple games and continue to do so. I don't see how those are different from legacy outfits. you want them? fine, I don't and I don't see any value for them or the want for them. They serve no purpose.

Jeez, no need to get all fired up just because your opinion differs from mine.

Assassin_M
07-24-2014, 04:53 AM
Jeez, no need to get all fired up just because your opinion differs from mine.
I wasn't fired up, sorry. was just sayin'

Xstantin
07-24-2014, 05:38 AM
I find things like Abstergo reports on Ezio/Connor/whoever to be a bit of more interesting throwback though. Afterall if nostalgia hits you can always replay older games :p

GoldenBoy9999
07-24-2014, 05:59 AM

I do agree that they look out of place but I'd like to see them come back because if you really liked one of the characters or their outfit it could be nice to return to them. I would like to see Connor's on the new engine since I think his outfit was the best so far. I hardly ever use them though because they're kind of immersion breaking for me I guess.

m4r-k7
07-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Pisses me off how every Ezio costume that they let you wear is from Brotherhood. My fav was from AC 2 and AC R's was awesome aswell.

I just hope they let us dye every bit of clothing. I really want white and red back. He looks pretty cool in white robes xD

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bq-OYBmCIAEDggG.jpg:large

Locopells
07-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I always use the Jamestown outfit in ACIII, for the red/white thing.

m4r-k7
07-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Yep, I did that. I just feel red and white is the assassin colours. Although I do think Arno's black / dark blue is awesome for the French Revolution setting.

marvelfannumber
07-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Pisses me off how every Ezio costume that they let you wear is from Brotherhood. My fav was from AC 2 and AC R's was awesome aswell.

Indeed, the Brotherhood outfit is starting to get really old, and it looks too similar to Altair's robes in my opinion. I would gladly take the AC2 robes over the Brotherhood robes.

(Though that may be bias, because the AC2 robes are my favorite ^^)

Anyway, for Unity I would like the legacy outfits back, but with a twist; For example let's say you earn Altair's outfit, you can either use it or dissect it and use certain parts on other outfits (Like the hood, belt, gloves etc.) and each outfit gives you specific skill boosts and stats (Altair could be stealth, Connor could be strength etc.).

I doubt they would go through all that effort though.

Fatal-Feit
07-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Anyway, for Unity I would like the legacy outfits back, but with a twist; For example let's say you earn Altair's outfit, you can either use it or dissect it and use certain parts on other outfits (Like the hood, belt, gloves etc.) and each outfit gives you specific skill boosts and stats (Altair could be stealth, Connor could be strength etc.).

I doubt they would go through all that effort though.

That's still a fantastic idea. I can see Edward's attire giving players an income boost.

m4r-k7
07-24-2014, 01:11 PM
That's still a fantastic idea. I can see Edward's attire giving players an income boost.

That would be hilarious but awesome! Wearing Edwards robes gives you more money for completing missions xD

LoyalACFan
07-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Outfits, not legacy outfits...I don't see how in depth customization implies that legacy outfits should be a considerable asset to invest in.

I don't think I'm expressing myself properly :(

I just mean that since they're putting a very heavy focus on customization, they'll have already allocated a much more time and effort into making costumes. They're already designing and programming dozens of costumes from scratch, so I would think remaking legacy outfits (not porting them over from old games) would actually be a tad easier than making a new outfit considering they've already been designed. They'd only be making four extra outfits on top of the numerous ones they're already making, and those four wouldn't have to go through the concept phase. In previous games adding a whole new outfit with different loose cloth parts would have been more of a challenge considering customization was a pretty low priority and fewer people were working on it, but in Unity they're already investing a lot more effort into that whole aspect of the game.

I don't even really want the legacy robes TBH, I'm just saying that considering the amount of effort they're already throwing at outfit creation there's a pretty good chance they'll bring them back, and a much better chance than ever before that they won't halfass them.

joelsantos24
07-24-2014, 01:58 PM

I just hope they let us dye every bit of clothing. I really want white and red back. He looks pretty cool in white robes xD

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bq-OYBmCIAEDggG.jpg:large
I always preferred the white robes, in every chapter of the series. But you have to agree that this looks a little bit too conspicuous, not to mention, a little bit out of place, considering the social/time context. White robe? Sure, why not? White outfit, entirely? I don't know.

I'm actually thinking about getting something in the line of Connor's New York outfit, with black and red:

http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/3/3c/ACIII-NewYorkOutfit.png

m4r-k7
07-24-2014, 02:02 PM
I always preferred the white robes, in every chapter of the series. But you have to agree that this looks a little bit too conspicuous, not to mention, a little bit out of place, considering the social/time context. White robe? Sure, why not? White outfit, entirely? I don't know.

I'm actually thinking about getting something in the line of Connor's New York outfit, with black and red:

http://images.wikia.com/assassinscreed/images/3/3c/ACIII-NewYorkOutfit.png

Yep I am going to have to agree that it would look abit out of context - that is why I love Arno's normal robes - they look really French and assassiny at the same time. I will probably keep his original robes most of the time, unless there are more awesome ones. But I still would love to see a white version of it - just so it adds to more variety. In AC 3 the new york outfit looked cool, although I kept to the Jamestown one.

pacmanate
07-24-2014, 03:07 PM

Even Connors was different. The blue bits on his outfit that flail about near his legs were glued on in AC4. In AC4 they were separate from his robes

DumbGamerTag94
07-24-2014, 03:27 PM
The reason Arno doesn't wear white robes isn't only because he would stand out like a sore thumb, there's a little bigger reason.

White was the color of the French Bourbon Monarchy. So if Arno wears white all over like Alta´r or Ezio did he will look like a major Royalist. So if people spotted him sporting that much support for the Kings colors then he'd probably be guillotined on the spot as a suspected counter revolutionary. So it would not be good for Arno to wear white.

It actually makes sense he wear a blue and red color scheme because those are the symbolic colors of the people and city of Paris. Thus why the French tricolor is blue white and red. Blue and red are for the people and Paris. White in the center represents the old monarchy. So their placement side by side symbolizes equality of the common people and kings.

So considering the time period it makes far more sense for Arno to wear blue and red than white. And it also has the added benefit of actually blending in to the crowds for once! I mean really all the assassins have stuck out like sore thumbs and were supposed to believe nobody sees them? Even Alta´r looked ridiculous unless he was near a group of scholars. I say good riddance to the white robes. It hadn't really made much sense for a long while.

joelsantos24
07-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Yep I am going to have to agree that it would look abit out of context - that is why I love Arno's normal robes - they look really French and assassiny at the same time. I will probably keep his original robes most of the time, unless there are more awesome ones. But I still would love to see a white version of it - just so it adds to more variety. In AC 3 the new york outfit looked cool, although I kept to the Jamestown one.
Yeah, the Jamestown robes were awesome as well, very much like Alta´r's and Ezio's. I always enjoyed the dark/black outfits, they tend to make more sense when you're trying to pass unnoticed, specially at night.

The reason Arno doesn't wear white robes isn't only because he would stand out like a sore thumb, there's a little bigger reason.

White was the color of the French Bourbon Monarchy. So if Arno wears white all over like Alta´r or Ezio did he will look like a major Royalist. So if people spotted him sporting that much support for the Kings colors then he'd probably be guillotined on the spot as a suspected counter revolutionary. So it would not be good for Arno to wear white.

It actually makes sense he wear a blue and red color scheme because those are the symbolic colors of the people and city of Paris. Thus why the French tricolor is blue white and red. Blue and red are for the people and Paris. White in the center represents the old monarchy. So their placement side by side symbolizes equality of the common people and kings.

So considering the time period it makes far more sense for Arno to wear blue and red than white. And it also has the added benefit of actually blending in to the crowds for once! I mean really all the assassins have stuck out like sore thumbs and were supposed to believe nobody sees them? Even Alta´r looked ridiculous unless he was near a group of scholars. I say good riddance to the white robes. It hadn't really made much sense for a long while.
I agree with you on most of what you wrote. However, I strongly disagree that Alta´r looked ridiculous. Back then, white was much more common, not to mention it was a deliberate act, in order to blend in and be regarded as a scholar. Sure, a scholar with vambraces, sword, short-blade and throwing-knives, but a scholar nonetheless. :nonchalance:

Jexx21
07-24-2014, 07:16 PM
I thought Connor's outfit was good as well, since it was more of a beige than a true white.

Megas_Doux
07-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Other than in ACII and ACB,not a fan of the recycled outfits, Altair┤s one was particularly butchered haha.

Xstantin
07-24-2014, 07:24 PM
I always chose Boston outfit for Connor because it looked like something a hunter would wear, Edward had the governor's outfit which wasn't really Assassin-looking (almost no white there) but at the same time was fitting for the setting.
Arno outfit looks fitting as well, on the other hand something like ACB robes would be sticking out like a sore thumb imo.

GoldenBoy9999
07-24-2014, 07:27 PM
I thought Connor's outfit was good as well, since it was more of a beige than a true white.

Yeah when I first saw Connor's robes I thought they were tan like the color of a deer hide which would fit the time period.

@POP Yeah I also liked the Jamestown outfit. I used it the majority of the game so I could look like this:

http://www.justpushstart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/gallery_30_10_219709.png

I kept waiting for this moment in the game to happen since he looks much older. Maybe this is him in his second game. ;)

RivalMatt117
11-18-2014, 05:22 PM
but what about altair in revelations? it looked amazing in that game. and i can say they look really good for myself in game. especially the optional black altair outfit