PDA

View Full Version : Why does AC always have so much ULC?

TGPomy9795
07-22-2014, 04:33 AM
I mean seriously, there are like 10 DLC items that are unique to weird mini-games and such, that many people will not even be able to get. Some of them, like the the 5-6 pieces through the UNITE program, are EXCLUSIVE TO EUROPE....WHAT IS WITH THAT?!

Meanwhile, there is the Spin to Win program, with an in-game weapon that is unique to the US, but it requires you to pre-order, of course. This is just ridiculous. These are items that everyone would like to have, but they will probably never be released for everyone. Just like Black Flag had a bunch of stupid items like this.

Why doesn't Ubisoft just release them all in a DLC later so we all have a chance at them? Now I'm (and most others are) missing out on a mission, 4 unique weapons, and an outfit. What a shame.

JustPlainQuirky
07-22-2014, 04:35 AM
Because manies.

GreySkellig
07-22-2014, 04:39 AM
It's pretty absurd. I've never been a radical opponent of pre-order bonuses, store-specific bonuses, and DLC, but this year I'm seeing sooo much of it. Starting to get fed up.

TGPomy9795
07-22-2014, 04:44 AM
It's pretty absurd. I've never been a radical opponent of pre-order bonuses, store-specific bonuses, and DLC, but this year I'm seeing sooo much of it. Starting to get fed up.

Exactly. I'm basically punished for living in the US so I miss out on "exclusive content." What a joke.

Jexx21
07-22-2014, 04:48 AM
actually if you read the fine print of Spin to Win you can call Ubisoft to get a pre-order code for free.

Because if they don't, it's considered gambling.

TGPomy9795
07-22-2014, 05:01 AM
I won't be bitter if EVERYTHING is released as part of the Season Pass, but for Black Flag they only released the pre-order bonuses, and not the unique timed mini-game/MacFarlane figure content.

We paid for the Season Pass, so we deserve the disc-locked content!

AdamPearce
07-22-2014, 05:21 AM
You guys are just starting to realise that this anti-consumer pre-order thing is a totally a profondly absurd and shamefull way to take more money than needed from your pockets ? Well, never too late.

If you think it's stupid, then just don't give it any attention, the more you ask, the more they'll give. Stop eating in their hands.

GoldenBoy9999
07-22-2014, 09:01 AM
I was waiting for someone to mention this. I'm kind of overwhelmed by all of the ULC. I've been looking everywhere trying to gather it all up so I don't miss anything.

By the way, if there isn't a thread gathering it all up in one place by release I think there should be. I have one to start it off: The Siege of Maastricht Hood. You can get it by going here http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/news/sdcc-acu-experience.aspx

LoyalACFan
07-22-2014, 09:35 AM
You guys are just starting to realise that this anti-consumer pre-order thing is a totally a profondly absurd and shamefull way to take more money than needed from your pockets ? Well, never too late.

If you think it's stupid, then just don't give it any attention, the more you ask, the more they'll give. Stop eating in their hands.

Bull****, if you don't give it any attention they'll just keep doing it like they always have. We have every reason to let them know we're frustrated with the confusing, exclusionary ULC's, and with any luck a kindly mod will pass this concern on up the Ubisoft hierarchy if it gets enough momentum.

Dag_B
07-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Why does AC always have so much ULC
Because there are many people who are influenced by those.
On the one hand, it's a good deal for the retailers, as a lot of people tend to preorder where they like the pack (and not necessarily where the game is cheapest or at their usual shops) on the other hand there are more than enough people that buy multiple version just to get all preorder packs. In Germany I heard a few times that people buy the Guillotine Edition for PC and the digital Special Edition on top - because there they will get the last preorder pack.
As long as those ULCs stay such a good... selling argument, the madness will continue.

I mean seriously, there are like 10 DLC items that are unique to weird mini-games and such, that many people will not even be able to get. Some of them, like the the 5-6 pieces through the UNITE program, are EXCLUSIVE TO EUROPE....WHAT IS WITH THAT?!
As GoldenBoy9999 stated, the first "exclusive" piece just gets released in the US as Comic-Con-Goodie. Grab it while you can and let's hope that the other exclusives will also somehow be published in the other countries.

Bull****, if you don't give it any attention they'll just keep doing it like they always have. We have every reason to let them know we're frustrated with the confusing, exclusionary ULC's, and with any luck a kindly mod will pass this concern on up the Ubisoft hierarchy if it gets enough momentum.
No, he's right. As long as the retailers get the feeling that the exclusive ULC they have sells additional copies they will order more of these. And as long as Ubisoft itself gets the feeling that those multiple preorder packs help them to get more preorders they will create more ULC and special preorder promotions.

So if you are not a fan of those that ignore them and do not preorder. Or preorder at shops that have no fancy ULC, if you must. As soon as UbiSoft will notice that the creation of ULC will not push the sales they will stop (because every ULC costs them some resources) and as soon as the retailers will notice the same they will stop paying to get exclusive preorder deals.
And as long as preorder sales say: "It sells because ULC!" they will continue, no matter what a hand full of people in the forums will say. Forum users are always the minority, considering how many use the boards and how many people play the games. That's why feedback here tends to pass unnoticed. We are just not representative.
"Vote with your wallet" is what gets to the companies. When the preorder numbers decrease they might reconsider their "tactics".

LoyalACFan
07-22-2014, 10:34 AM
No, he's right. As long as the retailers get the feeling that the exclusive ULC they have sells additional copies they will order more of these. And as long as Ubisoft itself gets the feeling that those multiple preorder packs help them to get more preorders they will create more ULC and special preorder promotions.

So if you are not a fan of those that ignore them and do not preorder. Or preorder at shops that have no fancy ULC, if you must. As soon as UbiSoft will notice that the creation of ULC will not push the sales they will stop (because every ULC costs them some resources) and as soon as the retailers will notice the same they will stop paying to get exclusive preorder deals.
And as long as preorder sales say: "It sells because ULC!" they will continue, no matter what a hand full of people in the forums will say. Forum users are always the minority, considering how many use the boards and how many people play the games. That's why feedback here tends to pass unnoticed. We are just not representative.
"Vote with your wallet" is what gets to the companies. When the preorder numbers decrease they might reconsider their "tactics".

Just shutting up and ignoring it is akin to not voting in a presidential election, and then complaining about the guy who gets elected; it might make you feel like a rebel, but it isn't helping your case. I'm not planning to preorder Unity, but I'm definitely going to voice my opinion on it. Online feedback IS taken into account (Connor's hood, Edward's holsters, and Uplay passport, anyone?), and it's basically our only way of communicating with Ubisoft, so you might as well try. It isn't a surefire way of getting them to change their position, but a hundred forum users criticizing scattered preorder ULC is going to have a hell of a lot more effect than a hundred forum users not preordering.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-22-2014, 12:51 PM

Meanwhile, there is the Spin to Win program, with an in-game weapon that is unique to the US, but it requires you to pre-order, of course. This is just ridiculous. These are items that everyone would like to have, but they will probably never be released for everyone. Just like Black Flag had a bunch of stupid items like this.

Why doesn't Ubisoft just release them all in a DLC later so we all have a chance at them? Now I'm (and most others are) missing out on a mission, 4 unique weapons, and an outfit. What a shame.

If i pay 150,- for a collector's edition, i expect to get some exclusive in-game content.

Farlander1991
07-22-2014, 12:59 PM
If i pay €150,- for a collector's edition, i expect to get some exclusive in-game content.

I think the huge box, the futurepak case, a figurine, the artbook, official soundtrack, lithographs, printed canvas, map, tarot cards, and a music box are exclusive enough. That's what you're paying the extra money for, after all.

The game itself shouldn't have part of its content shattered across many little different pieces.

pacmanate
07-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Didn't watch dogs have the most DLC bonuses ever? If Unity beats this then... well... DAYUM

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2014/05/watch-dogs-preorders.jpg

SHADOWGARVIN
07-22-2014, 01:19 PM
I think the huge box, the futurepak case, a figurine, the artbook, official soundtrack, lithographs, printed canvas, map, tarot cards, and a music box are exclusive enough. That's what you're paying the extra money for, after all.

The game itself shouldn't have part of its content shattered across many little different pieces.

The AC collector's editions always offer some exclusive in-game content. Maybe you have never bought a collector's edition and didn't know that, but i have bought AC collector's editions since AC1 in 2007. It's normal.

Obviously ubisoft does this to reward fans who are willing to spend this kind of money on their game. I think it's a great way to show appreciation towards the fans that buy these collector's editions.

However I can understand that everyone wants to be able to get the same weapons. Maybe they could make a special dlc bundle.

Farlander1991
07-22-2014, 01:24 PM
The AC collector's editions always offer some exclusive in-game content. Maybe you have never bought a collector's edition and didn't know that, but i have bought AC collector's editions since AC1 in 2007. It's normal.

And they release it all after (all pre-orders and in-game exclusives were released for everybody later, with the exception of two things from Black Chest Edition, which is a first in the AC series, and not a good one in my opinion), which is fair enough to not make it outrageous, but just because AC series do that since ACII (AC1 never had any exclusive in-game content for its collector editions, so you're wrong there about 'always'), doesn't mean that it's a good consumer-friendly practice and should be considered normal.

Obviously ubisoft does this to reward fans who are willing to spend this kind of money on their game. I think it's a great way to show appreciation towards the fans that buy these collector's editions. I can understand that everyone wants to be able to get the same weapons, but i think it's a great way to rewards fans.

The fans are rewarded with tons of other great stuff that nobody can have unless they buy it. That's greater than any in-game bonus.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-22-2014, 01:28 PM
And they release it all after, which is fair enough to not make it outrageous, but just because AC series do that since ACII (AC1 never had any exclusive in-game content for its collector editions, so you're wrong there about 'always'), doesn't mean that it's a good consumer-friendly practice.

You don't, but I think it's a great way to show appreciation.

Farlander1991
07-22-2014, 01:31 PM
You don't, but I think it's a great way to show appreciation.

So, you want to say that,

huge box, the futurepak case, a figurine, the artbook, official soundtrack, lithographs, printed canvas, map, tarot cards, and a music box
aren't a great way to show appreciation?

ACfan443
07-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Didn't watch dogs have the most DLC bonuses ever? If Unity beats this then... well... DAYUM

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2014/05/watch-dogs-preorders.jpg

This is just ridiculous, a ton of bonuses scattered all over the place and not a single, comprehensive edition. Surely Unity cannot top this?

SHADOWGARVIN
07-22-2014, 01:38 PM
So, you want to say that,

aren't a great way to show appreciation?

Did i say that? No, i think all those things are fantastic! Those are the main reasons i bought the collector's edition, but i think it's great that collector's edition buyers get some exclusive weapons or outfits that other players can't get. It makes the collector's edition even more special.

Dag_B
07-22-2014, 01:51 PM
This is just ridiculous, a ton of bonuses scattered all over the place and not a single, comprehensive edition. Surely Unity cannot top this?
No. In fact, non of the Unity collectors editions does contain ANY In-Game-Items, as far as I know. They have up to two missions and that's it. The items are only available via preordering.
You still need to preorder at least two editions, to get all preorder items, though. And you need to complete Unite and buy the Arno figurine.

There is one exeption, though: The Amazon pocket watch bundle does include the parade pistol. But that is no official editon, just Amazons own pack, which would explain why it is the only edition/pack to contain ingame items.

Farlander1991
07-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Did i say that? No, i think all those things are fantastic! Those are the main reasons i bought the collector's edition, but i think it's great that collector's edition buyers get some exclusive weapons or outfits that other players can't get. It makes the collector's edition even more special.

Doesn't it bother you though that you can't get a full game experience unless you buy two game collector editions (in case of Black Flag for PC, for example, you have to do that to get all content), and several figurines?

I believe that the game should be the game. The same full experience for everybody. Limited exclusive access is okay(ish), but a person shouldn't buy dozens of products to get everything in the game.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Doesn't it bother you though that you can't get a full game experience unless you buy two game collector editions (in case of Black Flag for PC, for example, you have to do that to get all content), and several figurines?

I believe that the game should be the game. The same full experience for everybody. Limited exclusive access is okay(ish), but a person shouldn't buy dozens of products to get everything in the game.

I agree. That's why i said in my previous post "However I can understand that everyone wants to be able to get the same weapons or items or missions. Maybe they could make a special dlc bundle"

Sesheenku
07-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Because all big companies are asshats today, money>customer.

Oh you'll never get that nice sword or outfit you like because it's only in some ******ed mini game? Lel oh well.

I remember the good old days when they would release a complete ****ing game and the only thing stopping you was maybe doing some difficult challenge like the extra outfits in DMC3.

Keep paying for their extra DLC ****, they'll keep gutting your asses for more and more cause you're a tasty nugget they just want to lick over and over until all the flavor is gone.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-22-2014, 03:20 PM

Oh you'll never get that nice sword or outfit you like because it's only in some ******ed mini game? Lel oh well.

I remember the good old days when they would release a complete ****ing game and the only thing stopping you was maybe doing some difficult challenge like the extra outfits in DMC3.

Keep paying for their extra DLC ****, they'll keep gutting your asses for more and more cause you're a tasty nugget they just want to lick over and over until all the flavor is gone.

You made me laugh.

pacmanate
07-22-2014, 04:03 PM

http://i.imgur.com/3or4JM9.gif

TGPomy9795
07-22-2014, 04:06 PM
I keep trying to sign in to get the Exclusive Comic Con hood, and it keeps redirecting me to the sign in page over and over again when I choose my platform.....

Also guys, the PC Gold Edition says it includes the Season Pass and a "robust package of ULC." Maybe the consoles will have a digital day 1 Gold Edition. I feel like PS4 usually has things like this on launch day. We can only hope.

Sesheenku
07-22-2014, 04:33 PM
You made me laugh.

Thank you ;P

http://i.imgur.com/3or4JM9.gif

Speaking of the nuggets they lick.

GoldenBoy9999
07-22-2014, 04:37 PM
I keep trying to sign in to get the Exclusive Comic Con hood, and it keeps redirecting me to the sign in page over and over again when I choose my platform.....

Yeah I was one of the first ones to discover that so no one was really talking about it. Me and somebody else thought that maybe when you sign in to Uplay you are redeeming the hood because it says to "sign up for Uplay". It is pretty confusing. Or it could be that you have to wait until the 24th? I don't really know so it's just a guess. I would like to redeem that hood though because it looks pretty cool.

TGPomy9795
07-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Yeah I was one of the first ones to discover that so no one was really talking about it. Me and somebody else thought that maybe when you sign in to Uplay you are redeeming the hood because it says to "sign up for Uplay". It is pretty confusing. Or it could be that you have to wait until the 24th? I don't really know so it's just a guess. I would like to redeem that hood though because it looks pretty cool.

We must have to wait until the 24th. Either that or it is broken.

ze_topazio
07-22-2014, 04:54 PM
http://cdn.triangleoffense.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/scroogemcduck.gif

Assassin_M
07-22-2014, 04:55 PM
*cough*replacehisheadwithyves*cough*

RinoTheBouncer
07-22-2014, 05:01 PM

*cough*replacehisheadwithyves*cough*

I love you both!

LatinaC09
07-22-2014, 05:09 PM

Ok good so it's not just me having that issue. I've pretty much stopped with the Spin to Win program because IT DID THE SAME THING. Ridiculous. I'll probably never see that DLC.

TGPomy9795
07-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Ok good so it's not just me having that issue. I've pretty much stopped with the Spin to Win program because IT DID THE SAME THING. Ridiculous. I'll probably never see that DLC.

Well, that hood is included in the Musketeer Pack, which is a Uplay pre-order bonus I believe. So maybe we will get it as part of the Season Pass anyways.

Uzvar_Belarus
11-10-2014, 06:48 AM
Hello, guys. Which ULC's Steam's Standart and Gold editions are containing?
Steam page just says 15+ items for Gold and Steam's Season Pass'es page says 30+ weapons and gears... that's all, i couldn't find any full list or info on that matter...