PDA

View Full Version : Should be possible to have a specific co-op setup

Sushiglutton
07-20-2014, 11:26 AM
After thinking about it some I think the way Ubi has designed co-op is flawed in one regard (given that I understand it correctly). As I understand it everyone play as Arno from their pov, using the same gear/outfits as in the regular game. From the other players pov they have a different face.

The problem with this approach is that I believe most players want to wear more extreme outfits in co-op than in the regular game. This is the way I feel about it anyhow. In the campaign I will most likely just keep the regular outfit, because it's usually the one that fits the best with the story/setting. In co-op I want to wear something to distinguish myself from other players. Co-op is more about pure "fun" than immersion.

For this reason I think it should be possible to have a specific co-op setup. Otherwise the risk is that everyone will run around as vanilla-Arno. Or you need to change everything when you want to play co-op which would be less seamless/more clumsy.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-20-2014, 11:47 AM
After thinking about it some I think the way Ubi has designed co-op is flawed in one regard (given that I understand it correctly). As I understand it everyone play as Arno from their pov, using the same gear/outfits as in the regular game. From the other players pov they have a different face.

The problem with this approach is that I believe most players want to wear more extreme outfits in co-op than in the regular game. This is the way I feel about it anyhow. In the campaign I will most likely just keep the regular outfit, because it's usually the one that fits the best with the story/setting. In co-op I want to wear something to distinguish myself from other players. Co-op is more about pure "fun" than immersion.

For this reason I think it should be possible to have a specific co-op setup. Otherwise the risk is that everyone will run around as vanilla-Arno. Or you need to change everything when you want to play co-op which would be less seamless/more clumsy.

I think everyone will wear the outfit that is best suited for their playstyle.

m4r-k7
07-20-2014, 12:08 PM
This doesnt bother me personally. For me, I am just worried that everyone will be wearing the same outfit. For example, everyone will be wearing the best outfit in the game which takes away the feeling of your assassin being different. I just hope there is a large amount of items so everyone will be encouraged to wear something different, according to how they want to play and what they want to look like. But I do agree that in the single player campaign, it looks like I will be wearing the traditional assassin robes as I do not want to look like a warrior (as shown by the pre-order outfits)

Sushiglutton
07-20-2014, 12:20 PM
I think everyone will wear the outfit that is best suited for their playstyle.

That will be one factor, but looks also matter. For example I would never use something like Prussian Waistcoat in the campaign, but I would consider it in co-op:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140615051212/assassinscreed/images/3/36/Assassin's_Creed_Unity_Prussian_Pack.jpg

This doesnt bother me personally. For me, I am just worried that everyone will be wearing the same outfit. For example, everyone will be wearing the best outfit in the game which takes away the feeling of your assassin being different. I just hope there is a large amount of items so everyone will be encouraged to wear something different, according to how they want to play and what they want to look like. But I do agree that in the single player campaign, it looks like I will be wearing the traditional assassin robes as I do not want to look like a warrior (as shown by the pre-order outfits)

Not following your logic. You are saying: "This doesnt bother me personally.". Then you say: "But I do agree that in the single player campaign, it looks like I will be wearing the traditional assassin robes". That's exactly what I'm talking about! The why I understand it you will wear the exact same outift in co-op.

m4r-k7
07-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Not following your logic. You are saying: "This doesnt bother me personally.". Then you say: "But I do agree that in the single player campaign, it looks like I will be wearing the traditional assassin robes". That's exactly what I'm talking about! The why I understand it you will wear the exact same outift in co-op.

Your point doesn't bother me aka I dont need a seperate set up for co-op. I don't mind wearing my single player costume in co-op.
I am then agreeing with your point when you said you are going to wear the normal robes in single player.

Sushiglutton
07-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Your point doesn't bother me aka I dont need a seperate set up for co-op. I don't mind wearing my single player costume in co-op.
I am then agreeing with your point when you said you are going to wear the normal robes in single player.

I worded that poorly. What I meant was that you do worry that "everyone will be wearing the same outfit". I believe that making players use the same outfit as in the campaign will lead to a much more homogeneous choice of outfits for the co-op overall (as indeed you and I are exmples of).

m4r-k7
07-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Oh I understandd, yeah I guess you are right. I care much more about the look of an outfit then the bonuses. In AC 2 I didn't get any armour upgrades because I liked the outfit without any metal crap on it lol

So basically, I think for me, I am just going to choose an outfit that I like the look of, rather than the extra health or extra eagle sense it gives me.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-20-2014, 01:51 PM
I don't think everyone will be wearing the same outfit. And even if they do, everyone will have different faces.

Jexx21
07-20-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm going to be wearing the outfit I like the most.

The way I see it, Arno is going to have multiple sets of Assassin robes, which, to be honest, most Assassins probably would. Who wants to always be wearing the same set of clothing?

Calvarok
07-20-2014, 05:36 PM
if you're only changing your outfit because you know people can see it then it's not really true player expression.

All outfits have stats, all outfits are canon. there's plenty of motivation for people to change what they wear based on playstyle.

And creating a system that explicitly calls out co-op as being some weird other thing is obviously not what they want to do. It's called "Unity" because everything is supposed to feel like part of the same experience. multi and single-player, unified.

So yeah, stats ensure you won't see people only wearing one outfit, and if they are, fine. who cares. that's how they want to express themselves.

Sushiglutton
07-20-2014, 06:01 PM
I don't think everyone will be wearing the same outfit. And even if they do, everyone will have different faces.

I'm obv not saying everyone will be wearing the same outfit. What I am saying is that making you wear the same as in the campaign will lead to less variation in terms of what people are wearing in co-op. And as I consider a wide variety in co-op to be disarable I think that is suboptimal. All I'm asking for is the ability to have a (or a few) dedicated co-op setup slot. Ofc there should still be the option to simply import your campaign one if you so please.

if you're only changing your outfit because you know people can see it then it's not really true player expression.

All outfits have stats, all outfits are canon. there's plenty of motivation for people to change what they wear based on playstyle.

And creating a system that explicitly calls out co-op as being some weird other thing is obviously not what they want to do. It's called "Unity" because everything is supposed to feel like part of the same experience. multi and single-player, unified.

So yeah, stats ensure you won't see people only wearing one outfit, and if they are, fine. who cares. that's how they want to express themselves.

I don't really care if it's "true player expression" or not. I just think they should design the game in a way that inspires variety.

As for stats I think you are greatly overvaluing the gameplay depth in AC if you think stats will be all that relevant. I never upgrade any armor or gear in AC on my later playthroughs and it really doesn't matter. I sincerely doubt AC:U will be all that different. I also don't think there are that many interesting styles to choose between.

I care because I think it will be more fun if the people you play with come in a variety of styles. And as I said, personally I want to be able to have one style in the campaign and another one in co-op.

Jexx21
07-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Your costume is always going to be the same thing you're using in singleplayer.

Sushiglutton
07-20-2014, 06:09 PM
Your costume is always going to be the same thing you're using in singleplayer.

Yeah that's what the thread is about :)

Jexx21
07-20-2014, 06:10 PM
I don't want that to change, because I think it would feel more like you're actually transitioning to a different mode, a different character.

It's supposed to be seamless.

Sushiglutton
07-20-2014, 06:16 PM
I don't want that to change, because I think it would feel more like you're actually transitioning to a different mode, a different character.

It's supposed to be seamless.

Which you can in my design as you can just keep the default option of importing your campaign setup. What I'm saying is that there should also be an option (extra slot) for those who want it to have a specific co-op setup, different from the campaign one.

Jexx21
07-20-2014, 06:18 PM
I honestly don't think so. Besides, you're assuming that the gameplay stats on the different choices aren't going to matter, which I wouldn't readily believe just yet.

After all, they haven't really revealed that much about the customization options, as that tab is still closed on the main site.

Sushiglutton
07-20-2014, 06:21 PM
I honestly don't think so.

Why?

m4r-k7
07-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Also, I think the way you play in single player is the way you will play in multiplayer. People very rarely change their playing style on co-op games. It is basically single player, just with other people helping you out so I personally don't think there is a need for an extra co-op slot. For example, if you play stealthily in single player, I doubt you would play unstealthily in multplayer. Therefore, the outfit you have in single player should be helpful for you in multiplayer as well.

rickprog
07-20-2014, 08:59 PM
^That's what I thought precisely. At the same time, it wouldn't be practical to have two players that focus on the same playing style on the co-op team, and the fact that there's stats involved on the gear makes things so that the player will choose some items specifically, making the full outfit more than likely to be different from the other members of the team.

Xstantin
07-20-2014, 09:13 PM
It's a bit OT I guess, but have the devs said anything about points/rewards in co-op? If it has that it might affect the outfit choices too.