PDA

View Full Version : Directive 51 - The Novel

Jboncha
07-19-2014, 11:31 PM
I was going through the Wikipedia page for Directive 51 & saw a link to a novel with the same title.
I'm not sure exactly how the book plays out but I've put it on hold at a local library.
I cant wait to read it.

J B

Jboncha
07-20-2014, 12:29 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Directive-Novel-Daybreak-John-Barnes/dp/0441020410/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405812415&sr=1-1&keywords=directive+51

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6665906-directive-51?ac=1

Cortexian
07-20-2014, 12:35 AM
Seems vaguely similar to the story in The Division but definitely has some major differences. That article outlines an outbreak of a nanotech plague created to break down petroleum-based fuels, rubber and plastics and eat away any metal conductors carrying electricity. Essentially a nanotech designed to set us back into an age of pre-industrial society.

The Division focuses on the breakdown of the economy and social structure due to a viral outbreak that infects people.

There are some obvious similarities between the two though, so much so that I doubt it's a coincidence.

JokerUnique
07-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Well there always has to be an event that shakes the world. Virus, catastrophe, bomb, attack or just a hostage situation that is not solvable with the normal means and then Special Units or directives are activated. There are only so many variations you can do with this setup and especially in the endtime-genre or post-apocalyptic or here in The Division as mit-apocalypse you always have to have an event and then construct the aftermath from there. The Directive 51 itself is around for quite some time, Massive did some research and built the story on that... so the book could be just a story built on the Directive 51 like the Division with no copy-paste connections...

paxtonwr
01-04-2015, 11:15 PM
Don't know if you will end up liking it, but one story that I find similar is the first season of the Last Ship (aired on TNT in the states). It is based off of a book by the same name that came out in the Cold War era and focused on nuclear disaster, but the new show is about diseases instead and what happens in a post-massive pandemic world. Also another show is Jericho, but it is focused on post-nuclear disaster.

Keelan562
01-06-2015, 03:30 AM
I was going through the Wikipedia page for Directive 51 & saw a link to a novel with the same title.
I'm not sure exactly how the book plays out but I've put it on hold at a local library.
I cant wait to read it.

J B

Are you talking about the novel by John Barnes? I mentioned it in a post on a Division fan-site I'm a member of.

It's alright. Takes a LONG time for the story to get moving and for you to really care about the characters. About 3/4 through the book is when it finally hits its stride.

Overall, though, it's nothing like what the game is going to be. Interesting, yes, especially when you see HOW everything goes FUBAR, but other than that it's a lot of political drama and scientific explanations that are far too complicated for their own good. It's also the first of three books; I've only read the first (Directive 51) despite owning all three. From all the reviews I've read of the other two after finishing the first, the second is worth reading, but the third falls flat on its face compared to the two before it.

eyanvenom
01-08-2015, 02:16 AM
Another novel with incredible similarities to the government's Directive 51 protocol (for when SHTF) is called Agenda 21, by Glenn Beck & Harriet Parke. Just like Directive 51, Agenda 21 is another real life directive which is pretty much a planned response for if the nation were to fall into catastrophe and deconstruction, where the federal government will 'legally' seize total control of the nation, it's population (or remaining lack of), its resources, its communities etc. etc. etc. and completely sanction everything off.

The public is pretty much sanctioned off and the people no longer have freedoms of choice or free-will, but are forced out of their homes and previous lifestyles to live under a new one-order Republic. I know both the real life Agenda 21 and Directive 51 are direct influences for the development of The Division game; in fact, I've never even heard of either protocol until reading an article where TD dev's mentioned a few of the game's direct influences.

Definitely a book worth checking out, but instead of the story following say an Agent to RESTORE communal order, it tells life from a civilian's point of view and just how different everything is in their city or the city which they were blindly forced to relocate to. A few relations to TD game: all local business are shut down, all citizens are sanctioned off in specific living quarters with new assigned jobs or responsibilities, food is rationed and divided evenly (or so they say), medicine and vaccines are scarce, paper money is now obsolete and replaced with the obsession of energy & power creation, all the control is under a very small group of men with complete influence of the new population...pretty much the same pandemic type of environment which TD game will take place, just from the victim's (and not the hero's) point of view-- everyone now living under newly assigned building structures probably scattered thru out the game. A deserted city, a deserted world where the remaining citizens are not allowed to leave the walls of the new confined living spaces.

In the game's case, TD Agents would be outside of these walls, but in exploration would intercept various living quarters/medical centers which the remaining population has been forced to move to. Very interesting read and very detailed on just how a broken down society can result, and how the fed. government might take action to such an event. Guess we'll see who the real bad guys are when the game comes out-- it'll be interesting to see if say the gov't has anything to do with the virus/communal breakdown and new order, or if its another group or enemy to blame for the breakdown and reconstruction of the nation.

Keelan562
01-08-2015, 07:03 AM
Ooooooo! I am DEFINITELY going to have to check out Agenda 21!

Thanks for bringing attention to the title, eyanvenom! :D