PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question: Do you need to pay a subscription to Xbox Live or the PS4 equivelant?

AherasSTRG
07-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Do you need to pay a subscription to Xbox Live or the PS4 equivelant to play the coop part of Unity?

JustPlainQuirky
07-11-2014, 07:40 PM
There's a thread for a small question like this.

But yes, unfortunately.

GreySkellig
07-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Both are pay-gated, but both come with extra features. Most notably, PS+ (the Playstation version of Xbox Live) gives you a handful of free games for each Playstation console every month. Microsoft is working on a competing program called Games with Gold.

Sesheenku
07-12-2014, 06:48 AM
Both are pay-gated, but both come with extra features. Most notably, PS+ (the Playstation version of Xbox Live) gives you a handful of free games for each Playstation console every month. Microsoft is working on a competing program called Games with Gold.

Essentially it's like you go and buy yourself a brand new Mustang and the dealer goes BUT WAIT! I'm gonna give you these nice rims and your choice of color in your leather seats, you just have to pay more money and if you don't we'll forcefully come and remove your engine so that you can't use the car until you pay for a bunch of things you don't want to pay for.

I mean but look at these nice rims and these black and white leather seats! Never mind that you could just go and pay a single time and get the exact same seats and rims! We want to charge you for the rest of the time that you own the vehicle!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the kind of thing I think about when I hear people say that.

Calvarok
07-12-2014, 07:04 AM
Ever since Xbox One allowed you to pay one subscription fee to give all accounts logged in Xbox Live features, I've really not cared about it as much, since I can split the cost with my brother. I hope next-gen they take away the charge for multiplayer and make it all about the premium content instead, though, so more people can play multi.

Sesheenku
07-12-2014, 07:15 AM
Ever since Xbox One allowed you to pay one subscription fee to give all accounts logged in Xbox Live features, I've really not cared about it as much, since I can split the cost with my brother. I hope next-gen they take away the charge for multiplayer and make it all about the premium content instead, though, so more people can play multi.

Premium content is definitely much better.

The charge however small just seems silly to me and the extra stuff just seems like a sneaky and vile way to sucker everyone into it and make them nice and comfortable so they can get away with more dastardly business practices later on.

I won't allow any company to do so without my say and if I'm right and the majority still goes for it and they have to pay for it later, I'll be around to say I told you so. You can't let companies get comfortable charging you for various things like this, they'll just take it and run with it as far as they can, then before you know it it's business standard and the industry has another mark of failure upon it.

HDinHB
07-12-2014, 09:35 AM

Oddly enough, Sony has gone the opposite direction. Online multiplayer on the PS3 only needs free PSN membership, but the PS4 requires paid PS+.