PDA

View Full Version : Why have they gotten rid of the free aim in ACU?

king-hailz
07-09-2014, 04:47 PM
I don't think many people noticed that they have gotten rid of the free aim from AC4 in favor of a lock on to your target from AC3...

This was extremely annoying for me in AC3... and I loved the change in AC4!

I would really like to free aim with my gun and phantom blade...

roostersrule2
07-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Are you sure it's gone? Source?

Jexx21
07-09-2014, 05:05 PM
does this really need it's own topic? we have a thread for these sort of things

Aphex_Tim
07-09-2014, 05:07 PM
AC4 had auto aim as well as free aim. Just because they haven't shown it yet, doesn't mean AC:U won't have free aim.

HoIcon
07-09-2014, 05:13 PM
I'm sure free aim is in ACU, it just hasn't been shown because its not a new addition to the series

pacmanate
07-09-2014, 05:30 PM
@OP... what?

They have shown the phantom blade off maybe twice? Cant remember as I've only watched the videos once but just cause something isnt showcased doesnt mean its been replaced. Op is misleading.

Wolfmeister1010
07-09-2014, 06:30 PM
I hope they haven't removed it. I may be one of the few people who think this, but it was an awesome addition to AC4. While the auto shoot y button thing is fine, the free aim actually added some depth and skill to the shooting. It placed more control in the hands of the player, instead of having them rely on unrealistic weapon stats.

I believe that free aiming will still be in the game though. Because in Unity, apparently you can equip rifles onto your back, there are a few preorder bonuses to confirm just this. IDK why but I think this points towards free aiming..because you don't just auto lock a rifle.. n AC3 whatever you could because they were just one time weapons but..

There are a few time in the demo were Arno zooms in, showing a small reticule. Perhaps this means that you can choose to have no long range weapon equipped.

JustPlainQuirky
07-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Replaying AC3 made me remember how terrible the targeting system is.

It's so easy to air assassinate the wrong guy when you're being timed to kill someone super fast without being detected.

poptartz20
07-09-2014, 06:31 PM
I actually Rather enjoyed the free aim aspect as well.. Are we sure about this?

Aphex_Tim
07-09-2014, 06:50 PM
There are a few time in the demo were Arno zooms in, showing a small reticule. Perhaps this means that you can choose to have no long range weapon equipped.

This, as well.
However, this could be done in AC3 as well and it just served for manual targeting in that game.
But I still don't think there's any reason to worry. Free aim has been requested since the pistol was introduced in AC2; AC4 finally delivered it and since AC:U seems to have a lot of ranged weapons, I'd be very surprised if it was actually removed again.

king-hailz
07-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Idk... it just seems like its gone... when he zooms in with the recticle in the middle i thought he would get his guj or phantom blade out... i actually think its gone... i hope it isnt... we will just have too wait and see...

Calvarok
07-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Replaying AC3 made me remember how terrible the targeting system is.

It's so easy to air assassinate the wrong guy when you're being timed to kill someone super fast without being detected.
AC3 is the only AC game with a pinpoint melee targeting system. Black Flag's system is exactly the same but with no pinpoint reticle. as for ranged, I found that AC3's system worked better because you could change your side of focus, like in a normal third person shooter, so you could target around both right and left facing corners. if I recall, black flag's system didn't allow for that, which led to situations where Edward would be unable to target people around cover because the camera was on the wrong side.

overall the black flag system was more intuitive, simply due to it being controlled with the right trigger, but the AC3 system was still a cursor, and when you hovered over a target it auto-aimed at them while you went to press the fire button. I don't think it was significantly more or less difficult to use, and I actually can't see how you would have LESS trouble accidentally shooting the wrong target using the free-aim system, which actually allowed you to miss.

EDIT: OP, do you remember how the very first time we saw edward use a gun in the black flag e3 demo, he used the autotargeting system? yet both that and free-aim were in the final game. Also consider that we've not actually seen Arno fire a gun yet, and maybe you'll agree that you're being a little hasty.

pacmanate
07-10-2014, 12:02 AM
I actually Rather enjoyed the free aim aspect as well.. Are we sure about this?

No, OP is speculating and has written it as fact.

rickprog
07-10-2014, 12:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnQOE3LMYI Take a look at 3:33. You can use focused looking, and there's even a pointer on the screen. I highly doubt that, if they have this feature, there will be no free aiming this time around. The way the Phantom Blade was used could be quite similar to when you just press triangle (on PS3/PS4) on Black Flag and Edward shoots automatically.

LoyalACFan
07-10-2014, 12:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnQOE3LMYI Take a look at 3:33. You can use focused looking, and there's even a pointer on the screen. I highly doubt that, if they have this feature, there will be no free aiming this time around. The way the Phantom Blade was used could be quite similar to when you just press triangle (on PS3/PS4) on Black Flag and Edward shoots automatically.

Precisely this, the only time we actually see him shoot something was the Phantom Blade kill from like five yards away, and given its presumably short range I doubt the Phantom Blade would have free-aim anyway (like AC4 throwing knives).

GreySkellig
07-10-2014, 01:24 AM
1) The no-aim firing of the Phantom Blade in demos does not preclude a free-aim mechanic. As others have pointed out, this was possible in Black Flag.
2) The zoom-reticle was used in demos entirely as a surveillance tool--I expect because Unity's much taller buildings necessitate the ability to zoom in on street-level targets. It may be unrelated to aiming, or may be a function of aiming when no ranged weapon is equipped.

At this juncture, speculation regarding free-aim is baseless. We simply don't have enough to go on. Aiming could be exactly as in Black Flag, could revert to lock-on, or could present some new formulation. Until we see more, there's not much more to say.

I feel like this drought of information is causing people to grasp at straws (understandably).

shobhit7777777
07-10-2014, 08:14 AM
As Wolf pointed out - there are Rifles in the game.

They won't give you precision, ranged weapons and not disable you from making precise, ranged shots.

I wouldn't worry about it.