PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft's PR Tactic for the past 3 years

pacmanate
07-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Just noticed this, seems a bit dirty imo. So which one is it Ubi?

Assassin's Creed 3

"Ubisoft has assured gamers that this new title will serve as a great entry point for gamers new to the franchise.

"Source: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2012/03/08/assassins-creed-iii-to-be-a-great-starting-point-for-newcomers-to-join-the-franchise/

Assassin's Creed 4

"With Desmond out of the picture, Ubisoft believes that Assassin's Creed 4 will serve as the perfect jumping point for series newcomers. "AC4 is really the one that people can enter without knowing anything about the franchise. This is because we really want the player in the present day to really mirror Edward's own journey," creative director Jean Guesdon told us."

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/article/79572/getting-rid-of-desmond-makes-assassins-creed-4-the-best

Assassin's Creed Unity

"I would say that Assassin's Creed Unity is the best entry point for the franchise"

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/470806/assassins-creed-unity-is-a-new-narrative-start-for-series/

Aphex_Tim
07-09-2014, 01:00 PM
The best entry point would still be AC1 imo. At least for the story.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-09-2014, 01:02 PM
They say this every time.

AherasSTRG
07-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Haha, haven't realised that until now.

Kirokill
07-09-2014, 01:40 PM
That's a nice find.
Heheh.

roostersrule2
07-09-2014, 02:01 PM
I think every games PR marketers say this, I don't think I've ever seen a game where they haven't. Hell they said it for ME3, it's almost mandatory to play ME1 and 2 before playing that.

VoXngola
07-09-2014, 02:04 PM
It's your usual marketing, nothing new.

rrebe
07-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Nice find, lol :D
well, at least jumping into the franchise will be easy for newbs :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
07-09-2014, 02:40 PM
AC:3 is great, AC:4 is perfect, and AC: Unity is the best. What is there not to get? :rolleyes:

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Nice find! Now they're confusing the heck out of the player that want to get into AC lol

RatonhnhakeFan
07-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Just marketing nonsense, I doubt anyone even buys it

pacmanate
07-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Nice find, lol :D
well, at least jumping into the franchise will be easy for newbs :rolleyes:

Nice find! Now they're confusing the heck out of the player that want to get into AC lol

Exactly! They have 3 games to choose from now :rolleyes:

Farlander1991
07-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Well... there's kinda some amount of truth to all those statements, though.
AC3 separates itself from AC1/AC2/ACB/ACR with almost everything storywise with the exception of the Modern Day stuff, plus due to new engine and control methods and all that, the gameplay is not exactly the same. But in the most prevalent part of the game - the past, there's no baggage from previous games in story or gameplay purposes (now, sure, there still are legacy systems that it would've been better to NOT have, but they're still explained at least). So it's a more smooth entry point than, let's say, ACB or ACR, though I wouldn't call it perfect.
AC4 goes even further. It doesn't have the modern day baggage at all, being sort of a re-introduction/solar flare epilogue/Juno prologue thing, so it is a good entry point to the series.
ACU, well.... we shall see. But supposedly it's going to have a new fixed style of MD storytelling, plus it's a game that's built from the basics of AC1 rather than reconstruction of everything the series had (which AC4 was), so at least gameplay wise it's going to be a good introduction point.

Jexx21
07-09-2014, 03:46 PM
actually that's sort of the point, they should always try to make the newest entry point welcoming to newcomers

pacmanate
07-09-2014, 03:51 PM
actually that's sort of the point, they should always try to make the newest entry point welcoming to newcomers

Why? That basically means disregarding everything previous up until that point so newcomers dont get confused

roostersrule2
07-09-2014, 03:52 PM
I think it'd make sense to say it's better to play the other games.

If I was really hyped for a game and they said that, I'd buy the previous games.

Jexx21
07-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Why? That basically means disregarding everything previous up until that point so newcomers dont get confused

So that "no you should play the other games first because they have story you need to know about" means that most people would be daunted by having to buy and play through six or seven games, so they just wouldn't bother. It's so they drive more sales.

And it actually doesn't mean disregarding things, it means explaining those things so that a newcomer could understand what's going on.

pacmanate
07-09-2014, 04:01 PM
So that "no you should play the other games first because they have story you need to know about" means that most people would be daunted by having to buy and play through six or seven games, so they just wouldn't bother. It's so they drive more sales.

And it actually doesn't mean disregarding things, it means explaining those things so that a newcomer could understand what's going on.

AC3 didn't explain who Vidic was, what abstergo is, why they are at the grand temple etc etc.
AC4 didn't explain who Juno was and her purpose, so for a newcomer that would have been confusing as hell.

roostersrule2
07-09-2014, 04:09 PM
AC4 didn't explain who Juno was and her purpose, so for a newcomer that would have been confusing as hell.Even for an old timer that was confusing, why was there a flying Juno head?

Well not really, but why not just the full body Juno thing?

guardian_titan
07-09-2014, 04:53 PM
The dropping of V from the title is likely part of their marketing campaign to try to get new players into the series although neither Brotherhood or Revelations had II in their title to suggest their connection to Ezio (they probably should have, though). The fact that Arno is also not an ancestor of Desmond is also another (re)starting point. Jumping to new consoles also gives them a good reason to partially reboot the story even if the Juno remains ongoing.

Putting a V on the title would suggest that the series continues the Desmond story from I-IV while the only connecting factor (we're aware of currently) is Juno and no longer Desmond. It still begs the question where Comet stands. Will that have V on it and be Desmond related or will that be a partial reboot, too?

While AC1 is really the only true starting point that makes sense, people often have to start somewhere and Ubisoft might convince enough players to jump into Unity thinking it's possibly a reboot of the franchise ... when it's not. From a marketing standpoint, removing the V from AC Unity was probably Ubisoft's smartest move to convince people to give the series a try. Will it make sense or only serve to confuse players more once more games in the franchise come out, I suppose we'll see. When I first got into the series, I wasn't sure where Brotherhood or Revelations first fell and which to play first after I was done with II. Looking at the covers helped figure it out, though.

Honestly, I wish they'd pick a naming scheme and keep to it. Numbers and subtitles are starting to become irritating to keep up with, and now since AC4 started a different naming trend, they keep changing it. Final Fantasy might have like 20 games in the series (counting the X-2, etc but not counting Tactics, etc), but at least the people making them keep consistent and don't confuse the fan base. Even if the games don't relate to each other, I'd rather keep the numbers on the titles so I know what order they came out. From an outsider looking in, either ACU looks like another Brotherhood/Revelations so they might think it stars Edward if they've paid even slight attention to the series or they might think it's completely unrelated if they haven't paid attention at all. Either way, the person would end up disappointed.

The game out the year the movie finally hits theaters should be entertaining. >.> Will that one be another "reboot" with yet another assassin? Will it be an AC1 remastered with new systems, locations, etc to tie into the movie? Will it be completely unrelated to the movie? Will it continue the story of Arno in the Napoleonic Wars?

Dome500
07-09-2014, 04:56 PM
I think this time might be the first time it's true considering they do NOT have the Desmond-plot anymore, not his ancestors, they have a new event/conflict on a new continent (comparing it with AC3/4), with a new family (Dorian) a new protagonist (Arno) and new gameplay elements. As little connections as possible to the last games and a "fresh start" for mechanics and story alike like they say.
So this time they might be right.

A franchise always tries to keep the games "open for newcomers", that makes sense.
But this time it might be really the BEST game to get into the franchise since AC1.
On top of that, if everything they say is at least mostly true then they might have overcome their "identity crisis" that was apparent over the last few AC games IMO and might start taking AC to a new level and to a new generation (of consoles/games).

roostersrule2
07-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Well a number used to signify a new protagonist.

Obviously that goes out the door.

Unless Comet will have more of a connection to the previous games and it will wear the V, although V's pretty big, the V should go to the all but confirmed Cold War/Ancient Greece game.

Mr_Shade
07-09-2014, 05:07 PM
It's your usual marketing, nothing new.

indeed - of course it would help, to play the other games - however most are self contained for the main core story ;)

Dev_Anj
07-09-2014, 05:18 PM
indeed - of course it would help, to play the other games - however most are self contained for the main core story ;)

But I don't think Brotherhood or even Revelations is contained for the main or historical story. Brotherhood is a straight follow up to AC 2's story, and Revelations is based off Ezio fulfilling his father's desires.

roostersrule2
07-09-2014, 05:19 PM
If you went from AC2 to AC3 you would be lost.

Jexx21
07-09-2014, 05:22 PM
not if you just ignored the modern day story, which was never the focal point of the games

Mr_Shade
07-09-2014, 05:25 PM
not if you just ignored the modern day story, which was never the focal point of the games

indeed, that's my point ;)

Jexx21
07-09-2014, 05:29 PM
although I still think modern day is required on a certain level for Assassin's Creed to truly be Assassin's Creed, just that it doesn't need to be the focal point.

Dev_Anj
07-09-2014, 05:30 PM
If you went from AC2 to AC3 you would be lost.

I'd like to see someone let's play or text let's play AC 1, AC 2, AC 3 and AC 4 in that order without having any previous knowledge about those games and see what they think of the overall flow of story.

pacmanate
07-09-2014, 05:33 PM
I'd like to see someone let's play or text let's play AC 1, AC 2, AC 3 and AC 4 in that order without having any previous knowledge about those games and see what they think of the overall flow of story.

Well for AC3 a massive one would be Lucys death, another would be "Where did Subject 16 go" and "Who is this "William" guy" off the top of my head

Jexx21
07-09-2014, 05:39 PM
William was barely introduced before AC3 so that shouldn't really be a problem

Calvarok
07-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Well it's clear they've been trying to make those three games more approachable, even without them saying that you can tell. And it's also clear that each of those games HAS been more approachable than the last, and with Black Flag clearing up the very last of the Desmond baggage, I really believe them when they say that about Unity.

pacmanate
07-10-2014, 12:00 AM
William was barely introduced before AC3 so that shouldn't really be a problem

He was in Revelations quit a bit during the 1st person segments and the parts before you go into the black doorway to relive the memories.