PDA

View Full Version : What is this mean a "new start"?

Radman500
07-09-2014, 12:12 AM
i been seeing this alot, producers on unity, saying that AC: Unity will be a "new start" a "new fresh take" to the series

what does that exactly mean?

JustPlainQuirky
07-09-2014, 12:13 AM
They're trying something innovative and doing a complete overhaul on the gameplay/presentation/narrative

/thread

Radman500
07-09-2014, 12:14 AM
They're trying something innovative and doing a complete overhaul on the gameplay/presentation/narrative

/thread
so a reboot?....

JustPlainQuirky
07-09-2014, 12:16 AM
No.

http://replygif.net/thumbnail/947.gif

Radman500
07-09-2014, 12:17 AM
No.

http://replygif.net/thumbnail/947.gif

so everything in the past games is still canon, despite this new take on unity

sry im just confused

JustPlainQuirky
07-09-2014, 12:23 AM
It's just a revamp on how the game plays/feels.

All the story events are still canon.

Radman500
07-09-2014, 12:25 AM
It's just a revamp on how the game plays/feels.

All the story events are still canon.
i read somewhere its a brand new modern day storyline...

is juno still in the mix?

JustPlainQuirky
07-09-2014, 12:27 AM
http://www.aucollegedems.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Bartlett-headdesk1.gif

Yes.

The presentation and way you play is different.

But everything plot-wise in past games is still plot relevant

Calvarok
07-09-2014, 12:32 AM
Everything is canon, but they're approaching how they create new canon differently, and reintroducing the things that have already been established, like the assassin/templar conflict.

Which Black Flag did to some degree, but there was still a bit of an assumption that you knew what was going on. Unity is apparently meant to work so that you could start with it as your first assassin's creed, and not feel confused about anything at all, and learn exactly what's going on. Black Flag barely introduced who TWCB were, unlike AC1.

I guess technically Black Flag more serves the role of a transitional period, giving Desmond some closure, explaining more clearly what kind of threat Juno represented, finishing up the Kenway saga, creating a fictional precedent for the animus allowing people to experience another person's ancestral memory and establishing the backstory of how that happened, and possibly even saying goodbye to Desmond's ancestry, since Adewale and Arno are not descended from him and it sounds like all of the possible ancestors that were listed were red herrings, since they're always so secretive about this stuff and they must be planning on something different.

And then of course there's the obvious refocusing on the Assassin experience, for the first time it's really happened since AC1, as well as the rethinking of all the core mechanics and how mission and level design is structured.

All of that sounds GREAT, and has a ton of potential. But I'll have to see it come together before I rejoice just yet. I'm excited, but cautious.

Radman500
07-09-2014, 12:44 AM
Everything is canon, but they're approaching how they create new canon differently, and reintroducing the things that have already been established, like the assassin/templar conflict.

Which Black Flag did to some degree, but there was still a bit of an assumption that you knew what was going on. Unity is apparently meant to work so that you could start with it as your first assassin's creed, and not feel confused about anything at all, and learn exactly what's going on. Black Flag barely introduced who TWCB were, unlike AC1.

I guess technically Black Flag more serves the role of a transitional period, giving Desmond some closure, explaining more clearly what kind of threat Juno represented, finishing up the Kenway saga, creating a fictional precedent for the animus allowing people to experience another person's ancestral memory and establishing the backstory of how that happened, and possibly even saying goodbye to Desmond's ancestry, since Adewale and Arno are not descended from him and it sounds like all of the possible ancestors that were listed were red herrings, since they're always so secretive about this stuff and they must be planning on something different.

And then of course there's the obvious refocusing on the Assassin experience, for the first time it's really happened since AC1, as well as the rethinking of all the core mechanics and how mission and level design is structured.

All of that sounds GREAT, and has a ton of potential. But I'll have to see it come together before I rejoice just yet. I'm excited, but cautious.

new canon, but its all one canon?

LoyalACFan
07-09-2014, 12:45 AM
It's a PR catchphrase designed to subliminally ensure fans that the franchise isn't going to implode on itself.

Calvarok
07-09-2014, 12:49 AM
new additions to the canon. Everything is still canon.

EDIT: LoyalACFan, it's partially that. which doesn't mean they don't actually believe it.

Sigv4rd
07-09-2014, 12:52 AM
i read somewhere its a brand new modern day storyline...

is juno still in the mix?

You are officially the greatest Troll to ever visit these forums!

Radman500
07-09-2014, 12:54 AM
new additions to the canon. Everything is still canon.

EDIT: LoyalACFan, it's partially that. which doesn't mean they don't actually believe it.

so that means there going to have to reintroduce the TWCB in unity in a way that it would be new for new players?

Calvarok
07-09-2014, 01:20 AM
so that means there going to have to reintroduce the TWCB in unity in a way that it would be new for new players?
yes. Juno is still out there, and we'll have to learn about that in a new way too.

SixKeys
07-09-2014, 01:30 AM
Why do you guys keep replying to Radman?

Jexx21
07-09-2014, 01:52 AM
because he's a legitimately confused person

roostersrule2
07-09-2014, 03:41 AM
Hahahaha I love this guy.

GreySkellig
07-09-2014, 04:21 AM
Good grief...this thread (and its dozens of cousins) make me weep like a small child.

Radman, you're either an incredibly subtle and patient troll playing a long game to drive us mad, or truly terribly, terribly confused on a frequent basis. If the former be the case, I must tip my hat to your perseverence. But, laboring under the assumption that the latter is true, I guess I'll keep replying.

This is a new start in terms of the series' creative direction, in its approach to game and story design. But that will not invalidate or erase extant series canon. If the promise is fulfilled, we'll get the start of a fresh cycle of AC games, without overwriting the past.

Calvarok
07-09-2014, 06:14 AM
guys, he had his question answered ages ago, he gets it. stop making fun of him.

Aphex_Tim
07-09-2014, 01:12 PM
because he's a legitimately confused person

I don't know what to believe anymore.
I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy this thread.

Dome500
07-09-2014, 04:42 PM

This

Let me try to explain this:

EVERYTHING that happened in AC1 - AC4 is still "relevant", does still exist in the cannon of the AC universe, it is no reboot, it's still one universe.

What they try to do is to reinvent AC - they try to change and evolve the way the gameplay feels, they are lifting restrictions on mission design to make it more "sanboxy", more "free" (less desync moments, etc), they change the core pillars of the game without loosing it's identity - that is their plan at least - and they reintroduce the whole Assassin/Templar conflict in the story in a way that ACU can serve as "AC1" for everyone who hasn't played AC before and wants to "jump in". Also, the modern day will have a different concept and style from AC1/2/3/4. (everything will still play in the same universe, so no reboot).

ze_topazio
07-09-2014, 04:49 PM
PR and Marketing.