PDA

View Full Version : Why I love AC II so much

Assassin_M
07-07-2014, 11:27 PM
AC II made 2009 one of my favorite years in gaming. It was the follow up to AC I--that I loved so much--it expanded upon every mechanic that AC I had and then added some. The most compelling gameplay addition for me was the faction system. It added an extra new layer to infiltration and stealth and I liked that every faction was not just a reskin, each faction provided a different type of distraction, sure it was just aesthetic but great nonetheless.
Another addition was the new side content. From tombs to Glyphs, it was always entertaining. the tombs were timed platforming puzzles and each felt different from the other one--lots of history and lore in each tomb too which provided for satisfaction in Gameplay and narrative aspects.
The Glyphs provided insight to the bigger picture of the Templar-Assassin war, it was a conspiracy theorist's wettest dream come true--the puzzles were smart and varied and that made it all 20 puzzles nothing short of compelling.

The mission design is extremely varied, you wont find a set-up similar to another, except in a couple of instances which is okay considering the scale of the game. this is a huge step up from AC I that sadly only had a non-varied mission set up, everything felt too similar.
A progression system that I loved so much was the Villa system, it was fairly simple but had a great impact visually. you'd watch as the Villa slowly revived again--weather change, buildings cleaned and opened up...etc. You felt a connection to this small town, it became your baby.

The story of AC II felt like an adventure, a long journey--not many games sadly give me this feeling of epicness and grandness. You meet lots of characters on your way who assist you in various different ways. A tale of revenge turned into fight for justice, you can slowly watch the conflict of the tale shift from this to that as you kill one Templar after the other.
Ezio as a character was at the center of this progression, you watched him as he turned from a rich playboy to Master Assassin who fights for the Brotherhood. the shifts in his personality felt organic enough to not warrant a complete change and just enough to feel progression of the character--you can hear it, see it and feel it as you progress through the narrative.

The setting choice was wise from Ubi, a large shift from the first game would make players feel comfortable knowing that they're playing a completely new game. Venice's moistness, Florence's warmness--every city felt different and every city looked beautiful complimented of course by the amazing soundtrack.

LoyalACFan
07-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Nothing is true

Namikaze_17
07-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Everything is permitted

Tenvern
07-07-2014, 11:38 PM
This doesn't feel very sincere to me for some reason..

Megas_Doux
07-07-2014, 11:39 PM
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100309031800/darkheresy/images/0/0c/Its_a_trap.jpg

sem1rek
07-08-2014, 12:07 AM
http://skladiste.g6.cz/ksicht3.gif

Lost bet?

Assassin_M
07-08-2014, 12:25 AM
This doesn't feel very sincere to me for some reason..
Why? did I say something incorrect?

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-08-2014, 12:31 AM
Hmm..

I wonder if someone is plotting to make a "Why I love ACIII so much" thread , as it might cause chaos? O_O;;;

Tenvern
07-08-2014, 12:39 AM
It's not like you said anything incorrect, it's based entirely around opinions, it's just seemed a little.. unsincere.
I enjoyed AC2 alot but I did feel the mission structure began to run a bit repetitive at times.

Besides I was under the impression you weren't a big fan of Ezio's character development, I dunno, maybe I just misinterpreted some of your posts.

Assassin_M
07-08-2014, 01:22 AM
It's not like you said anything incorrect, it's based entirely around opinions, it's just seemed a little.. unsincere.
I enjoyed AC2 alot but I did feel the mission structure began to run a bit repetitive at times.

Besides I was under the impression you weren't a big fan of Ezio's character development, I dunno, maybe I just misinterpreted some of your posts.
If you'd notice, I never mention the things i disliked about Ezio's character development such as his logical social direction in terms interaction with others;)
I also never talked about how all the characters suck...

TheIronLotus420
07-08-2014, 01:31 AM
Cnt tell if srs :nonchalance:

Assassin_M is a Templar - confirmed :p

In all seriousness though, ACII was probably my favorite of the series, but there is most definitely some nostalgia contributing to that. That and the fact that it really did improve a lot from ACI...

pacmanate
07-08-2014, 01:52 AM
All I ever see M talk about is how much he hates AC2 so I dont buy this thread.

Jexx21
07-08-2014, 02:06 AM
He praised AC2 a lot for similar reasons in the past, so I believe him. I mean, you should remember that Pac.

pacmanate
07-08-2014, 02:11 AM
He praised AC2 a lot for similar reasons in the past, so I believe him. I mean, you should remember that Pac.

I don't even know anymore with him so I normally only reply to jokey comments he puts :p

Fatal-Feit
07-08-2014, 03:07 AM
All I ever see M talk about is how much he hates AC2 so I dont buy this thread.

_M is that kind of troll that's clever yet unpredictable... OP didn't contradict any of his criticisms of AC:2 so I can assure you that this is for real.

Hell, AC:2 is one of my least favorite of the series yet I agree with the post. AC:2 made for an amazing game in 2009.

Shahkulu101
07-08-2014, 03:27 AM
This wasn't in the bet, M. Are you feeling alright?

JustPlainQuirky
07-08-2014, 03:30 AM
Almighty Godzio is not amused. :rolleyes:

Jexx21
07-08-2014, 04:30 AM
Uhh.. M is not a troll.

Sesheenku
07-08-2014, 05:11 AM
What is this? I recall you berating AC2 for piss poor mission variety, lousy story, awful characters, and the like.

This thread is sarcastic right?

Assassin_M
07-08-2014, 05:43 AM
What is this? I recall you berating AC2 for piss poor mission variety, lousy story, awful characters, and the like.

This thread is sarcastic right?
I never berated AC II's mission variety--just the missions set up and system, I never called the story lousy--just the character cast and Ezio's emotional progression, yeah, I called the cast awful BUT I never did say otherwise in my OP, I just said that it's colorful and abundant;)

Ureh
07-08-2014, 06:07 AM
For me it's the music first (Although I don't really listen to Earth or Ezio's Family all that much). The AC2 soundtrack has so much replay and humming/singing value.

Farlander1991
07-08-2014, 10:39 AM
I think the point M is trying to make is that you can criticize many aspects of a game and still love it.

Heck, there are many things I can criticize about AC2. It's broken plot pacing in the second half, how a lot of missions don't have a great design, the modern day aspect, the broken economy system, the useless equipment stat system, to name a few. I talked about some of these points so much here that people think I hate AC2, which is not true (I did kinda start to hate when people criticize other AC games for problems that are present in AC2 as well, but AC2 gets a free pass). AC2 is an amazing game and an amazing experience regardless. And when I played it for the first time in the beginning of 2010 when it was released on PC (I was finishing high school then), every free moment at home would be spent at that game.

itsamea-mario
07-08-2014, 12:49 PM
This was a concise and well constructed post, and i agree with the points you make.

Apart from the bit where you said AC2 was better than AC1.

AC1 4 lyf

#HolyLand

#AltairSwagg

Shahkulu101
07-08-2014, 01:27 PM
AC1 is so boring it's borderline unplayable.

itsamea-mario
07-08-2014, 02:19 PM

Heresy.

I-Like-Pie45
07-08-2014, 02:26 PM

Do you know what we do to people like you?

king-hailz
07-08-2014, 02:28 PM
I loved AC2 to... it is my favorite game of all time... and i dont think anything will ever come close for me...

Hans684
07-08-2014, 02:40 PM
I loved AC2 to... it is my favorite game of all time... and i dont think anything will ever come close for me...

The Last Of Us

king-hailz
07-08-2014, 02:45 PM
The Last Of Us

Ive played it and it is AMAZING!!! But for my personal taste in games, AC2 had everything I would ever want in a game... for me AC2 wins...

Hans684
07-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Ive played it and it is AMAZING!!! But for my personal taste in games, AC2 had everything I would ever want in a game... for me AC2 wins...

I respect that but it was worth a shot. Unlike you AC2 was my favorite AC, now it's ACR and ACIVBF. So I perfectly understand the fan love for AC2 and Ezio. The thing is for me is that The Last Of Us is the only game that has been able to beaten AC, my favorite series. The only game that might beat TLOU is TLOU 2, if they make a sequal.

rprkjj
07-08-2014, 03:05 PM
I respect that but it was worth a shot. Unlike you AC2 was my favorite AC, now it's ACR and ACIVBF. So I perfectly understand the fan love for AC2 and Ezio. The thing is for me is that The Last Of Us is the only game that has been able to beaten AC, my favorite series. The only game that might beat TLOU is TLOU 2, if they make a sequal.

What makes that game good for you? I've heard it's good, might get the remastered edition.

king-hailz
07-08-2014, 03:17 PM
What makes that game good for you? I've heard it's good, might get the remastered edition.

The story is just so amazing.... among many other amazing things.... however personally i prefer the uncharted series... my favorite series in gaming are Assassins Creed, Uncharted, batmam arkham and the far cry games... but mainly the first three...

SixKeys
07-08-2014, 03:28 PM
I like AC and TLoU for different reasons. TLoU is an amazing and intense experience, but AC is my happy place. AC is more relaxing and I like to just pop it in whenever I feel like roaming aimlessly in beautiful locations.

Aphex_Tim
07-08-2014, 03:43 PM
The Last Of Us

I never really got this. Sure, TLOU had a great story and looked beautiful but gameplay-wise it just felt like your avarage "walk from area to area; shoot the bad guys" routine to me with the occasional stealth section thrown in. It's an enjoyable game for sure but not worth the global panty-wetting it's receiving imho. If a game if praised that much, I expect revolutionary gameplay, i.e. what distinguishes it from other media. For a good story or pretty visuals I could also read a book or watch a movie.

Jexx21
07-08-2014, 03:51 PM
the Arkham series easily beats out Assassin's Creed in everything except story and characters

rprkjj
07-08-2014, 04:03 PM
the Arkham series easily beats out Assassin's Creed in everything except story and characters

There's some things AC has that Arkham doesn't, but even for Arkham I do enjoy the stories. Especially Origins.

jayjay275
07-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Not sure if M is serious..
http://media.tumblr.com/84f8cdd40c4c69d0fe1309c9120fe2af/tumblr_inline_mp2befYTBr1qz4rgp.jpg

Shahkulu101
07-08-2014, 06:25 PM
I never really got this. Sure, TLOU had a great story and looked beautiful but gameplay-wise it just felt like your avarage "walk from area to area; shoot the bad guys" routine to me with the occasional stealth section thrown in. It's an enjoyable game for sure but not worth the global panty-wetting it's receiving imho. If a game if praised that much, I expect revolutionary gameplay, i.e. what distinguishes it from other media. For a good story or pretty visuals I could also read a book or watch a movie.

It's actually a stealth game with the occasional shoot out thrown in but I understand what you're saying. The story and world just grabbed me, I was very attached to the characters because it was a game. Because I was along for the ride, controlling the journey of these two characters. A movie has never gave me the same feeling TLoU has. 'Leave good stories to movies' is a very cynical outlook.

Hans684
07-08-2014, 08:26 PM

I respect your opinion, but if we break down all kind of games none of them would be "unique" or "different". By breaking it down you are going to the basics of the game(s). AC(1) and Unity is an Assassin simulator, yes? So is Hitman, it's the average "plan, walk, kill and repeat". And AC2, Brotherhood, Revelations, AC3 and is a GTA or RDR style game where it's "do what you want with and scripted(more or less) story". One could argue that Black Flag flag is a hybrid of sort It's the most open ended AC since AC(1) but still has the style of RDR/GTA where it's do what you want. As for the global panty-wetting, well AC2 does have the same "infection/virus" that TLOU has. Not a single future AC is going to beat it. In general it's AC2 that is the king of the mountain, sure there might be games that is considerd number two. Those are arguably in general Brotherhood or Black Flag(most well received since AC2(more or less)). As for revolutionary gameplay, that depends on your own standards regarding what is unique and different to you. Game/Book/Movie can have just as good stories, then again everyone is different.

Story for the most part. The world it's just amazing, even with it's modern and "bland" building that is covered in nature. It's the atmosphere of the word. I'd take this over Uncharted any day. I highly recommend the remastered edition. There is more I just can't find the words for it or the correct words for what I just told. It's breath taking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Batman, lost interest in him. His villains is far more interesting. I play the Arkham games for just fun(and I'm a story player player to the bone), Batman always wins so I've lost interest in his part of the stories. Origins didn't help either it was supposed to be Batman vs Black Mask but ended up as just another Joker game. And I'd had enough of that with Asylum and City.

Sushiglutton
07-08-2014, 08:29 PM
I like how this thread is at the top with the "Love Problem Solution Delhi"-threads :D

Aphex_Tim
07-08-2014, 08:55 PM
@Hans, that's all true but I was referring more to the fact that it was a universally acclaimed game, mainly because of the story and visuals. It's a very good game and I enjoyed it a lot but what makes a game different from other media is of course the gameplay; the fact that you are the main character and basically decide what happens. Now this of course can only be done to a certain extent, especially in a story driven game like TLOU and that is most definitely not a bad thing. But that is also why I don't think TLOU deserved to be considered a much better game than most other games of the last gen. For a game to be as good as a lot of people claim TLOU to be, I expect to be able to do things I've never ever done before in any game, and for these things to work well and fit the context of the game. TLOU just didn't do that for me.
For example, Assassin's Creed was revolutionary in the sense that you were able to freely roam three cities and climb and free-run wherever you wanted. You could grab onto any protruding piece of environment and climb it. I had never done anything like that before.

Perhaps my logic here is flawed but it's just how I feel about it.

Shahkulu101
07-08-2014, 08:58 PM
I understand your line of thinking, but a game doesn't need to be gloriously innovative for it to be my favourite game.

Aphex_Tim
07-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Of course not, that's not what I was implying.
Again, I was referring to the massive critical acclaim TLOU received and how it's often considered the best game ever.

Shahkulu101
07-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Of course not, that's not what I was implying.
Again, I was referring to the massive critical acclaim TLOU received and how it's often considered the best game ever.

That's what I'm saying, critics may have thought the same as me or just enjoyed it immensely nonetheless.

JustPlainQuirky
07-08-2014, 09:08 PM
I thought The Last of Us wasn't very original at all. And gameplay was pretty standard.

But with that in mind, it did a good job in investing players in a story that has been told a million times before. That's what good acting, presentation, and direction can do.

At least that's my opinion.

Shahkulu101
07-08-2014, 09:14 PM
You haven't played it and yes it is traditional, but the gameplay is very satisfying, solidly challenging and looking for supplies and crafting gets you invested in the world. The stealth gameplay was very good in my opinion. I mean what else do you expect in a zombie apocalypse game?

Not everything has to be original to be good as long as it's done well. That does my head in.

Assassin_M
07-08-2014, 09:17 PM
The last of us is VERY well designed game. Original gameplay or not, I rate games with how well they do with what they have. Watch Dogs is nothing special but it is one of the best modern sandbox games i played in years.

At the end of the day, every game has a loop and no loop is completely original but how well the loop meshes with everything else that goes on in the game shows how well designed it is. The Last of us is a solid game imo.

I-Like-Pie45
07-08-2014, 09:29 PM
what about G(od)TAV, M

Assassin_M
07-08-2014, 09:47 PM
what about G(od)TAV, M
VERY restricting, to sum it up in one word. The illusion of choice during heists is just that, illusion--each "choice" is just a heavily scripted, linear mission. It's fun, sure thing for a couple of hours outside of the missions, when you're not put in a rigid train track. It still relies on EXTREMELY old design choices and elements.

There is no depth to the old and tried loop of GTA V, just trivial detail and humor that R* is known for, it's visually pleasing for a few minutes, like ramming cars into stuff..etc but it's NO WHERE near as fun as the Ctos towers or gang hideouts in WD.

WD gives you proper, sandbox freedom whereas GTA V places you on a line and holds your hand straight till the end of the line. WD's gameplay loop is arguably the same as GTA V's BUT where WD offers emergent, dynamic and vibrant gameplay that provides multiple tactical approaches to numerous situations, GTA V offers extreme restriction.

GTA V is great but it is NOTHING short of unworthy of the praise it gets.

Jexx21
07-08-2014, 10:07 PM
The last of us is VERY well designed game. Original gameplay or not, I rate games with how well they do with what they have. Watch Dogs is nothing special but it is one of the best modern sandbox games i played in years.

At the end of the day, every game has a loop and no loop is completely original but how well the loop meshes with everything else that goes on in the game shows how well designed it is. The Last of us is a solid game imo.

I dunno, the hacking thing is pretty much entirely new and I think it makes WD special in a way

Assassin_M
07-08-2014, 10:33 PM
I dunno, the hacking thing is pretty much entirely new and I think it makes WD special in a way
I'm just trying not to sound like a fanboy, even though I do agree that hacking is amazing--heck, just controlling the traffic is friggin awesome

JustPlainQuirky
07-08-2014, 10:59 PM
You haven't played it and yes it is traditional, but the gameplay is very satisfying, solidly challenging and looking for supplies and crafting gets you invested in the world. The stealth gameplay was very good in my opinion. I mean what else do you expect in a zombie apocalypse game?

Not everything has to be original to be good as long as it's done well. That does my head in.

I'm not disagreeing with you in that regard.

But I don't really consider it a masterpiece because the unoriginal factors. But maybe that'll change when I get my hands on the remastered version.

Still a pretty good game IMO. It resides in the same 'good but not amazing' level as Tomb Raider for me.

But hey that's just my list. and I'm extremely picky so...

roostersrule2
07-09-2014, 12:23 AM
Finally some sense from M.

Assassin_M
07-09-2014, 12:28 AM
Finally some sense from M.
Where have you been?? You're 6 pages late

roostersrule2
07-09-2014, 12:34 AM
VERY restricting, to sum it up in one word. The illusion of choice during heists is just that, illusion--each "choice" is just a heavily scripted, linear mission. It's fun, sure thing for a couple of hours outside of the missions, when you're not put in a rigid train track. It still relies on EXTREMELY old design choices and elements.

There is no depth to the old and tried loop of GTA V, just trivial detail and humor that R* is known for, it's visually pleasing for a few minutes, like ramming cars into stuff..etc but it's NO WHERE near as fun as the Ctos towers or gang hideouts in WD.

WD gives you proper, sandbox freedom whereas GTA V places you on a line and holds your hand straight till the end of the line. WD's gameplay loop is arguably the same as GTA V's BUT where WD offers emergent, dynamic and vibrant gameplay that provides multiple tactical approaches to numerous situations, GTA V offers extreme restriction.

GTA V is great but it is NOTHING short of unworthy of the praise it gets.See I'd disagree.

GTA V outside of missions is basically you're kingdom you can do what you want go as you please.

Perhaps GTA V's biggest problem for me is there is too much to do, I remember in GTA IV where their was very little to do after the story and you made your own fun. In GTA IV I'd get the cops on me fly up to the Empire State and fight them from the rooftops, I loved it. Or I'd fly up do the bike cheat and drive off the edge, it was so awesome.

In GTA V though there is heaps to do so instead of making your own fun you find yourself going parachuting or jet ski racing. I'd argue GTA V has much more layers to it with the customization and aircraft options and the MP is much better, I like WD's MP but GTA V's is nothing short if just oure awesome fun. It's basically co-op with up to 16 people.

Where have you been?? You're 6 pages lateWho knows.

Outside of these forums I'm an entity, a myth, I'm neither seen nor heard.

Assassin_M
07-09-2014, 11:22 PM
See I'd disagree.

GTA V outside of missions is basically you're kingdom you can do what you want go as you please.

Perhaps GTA V's biggest problem for me is there is too much to do, I remember in GTA IV where their was very little to do after the story and you made your own fun. In GTA IV I'd get the cops on me fly up to the Empire State and fight them from the rooftops, I loved it. Or I'd fly up do the bike cheat and drive off the edge, it was so awesome.

In GTA V though there is heaps to do so instead of making your own fun you find yourself going parachuting or jet ski racing. I'd argue GTA V has much more layers to it with the customization and aircraft options and the MP is much better, I like WD's MP but GTA V's is nothing short if just oure awesome fun. It's basically co-op with up to 16 people.
Sure, outside of missions, I was talking strictly about the mission design of main missions and side quests. not to mention the fact that every open world game has leisure activities relevant to it.
I never really like Online so i wont talk about it, for me the meat in a single player game is the single player.

Who knows.

Outside of these forums I'm an entity, a myth, I'm neither seen nor heard.
*gasp*

UniteUnderPower
07-09-2014, 11:29 PM
I loved AC2 but i semi-disliked Ezio's stereotypical italian character.

JustPlainQuirky
07-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Im slowly starting to grow fond of AC2 actually

Farlander1991
07-09-2014, 11:57 PM
Rewatched some ACII cutscenes. Did I seriously believe at some point that game had incredible voice acting? I mean, it's not like there aren't characters with great voices there, but damn... Painful to listen quite a lot. And then there are moments when even good voices sound awful, like when Mario reads to Ezio about the Prophet from the codex we got after Francesco's death.

Assassin_M
07-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Rewatched some ACII cutscenes. Did I seriously believe at some point that game had incredible voice acting? I mean, it's not like there aren't characters with great voices there, but damn... Painful to listen quite a lot. And then there are moments when even good voices sound awful, like when Mario reads to Ezio about the Prophet from the codex we got after Francesco's death.
what iiiiiiiiiiisss this? *awkward quick glance* what prophet?
Mario tryin' to be all mysterious and shiz. Also, Teodora was horrible...sounded like a Robot.

Farlander1991
07-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Also, Teodora was horrible...sounded like a Robot.

Btw, Francesco yelling 'GUARDS!!!! GUARDS!!!!' sounded eerily familiar :rolleyes: I didn't realize not only Francesco and Cesare shared the same actor, but the same phrases as well. :D (speaking of which, the guy also voiced Israel Putnam, and while I did find Francesco to be annoying, Putnam was just pure awesome)

Assassin_M
07-10-2014, 12:17 AM
Btw, Francesco yelling 'GUARDS!!!! GUARDS!!!!' sounded eerily familiar :rolleyes: I didn't realize not only Francesco and Cesare shared the same actor, but the same phrases as well. :D (speaking of which, the guy also voiced Israel Putnam, and while I did find Francesco to be annoying, Putnam was just pure awesome)
Yeah, he wasnt even subtle about it...he also voices a random guard in ACR and another random guard in AC IV, so so far, he's appeared in every AC barring I. (agreed)

Ureh
07-10-2014, 03:11 AM
The only part of the voice acting that really really bothers me is when Ezio tells Leonardo to hide in the carriage. That line was done by a different actor right? Sure sounded like it.

Assassin_M
07-10-2014, 03:14 AM
The only part of the voice acting that really really bothers me is when Ezio tells Leonardo to hide in the carriage. That line was done by a different actor right? Sure sounded like it.
Most likely a different session of recording between "I think they want us dead" and "Leonardo, hide". that, or they took a really long break and went back to it...

masterfenix2009
07-10-2014, 08:15 AM
Hmmmm...I don't remember the voice acting being terrible. That might be due to the fact that Ezio has a great voice though and he is the most you hear from.

phoenix-force411
07-10-2014, 11:29 AM
ACII is still my favorite, but the combat what horrible, and it remains the worst for me.