PDA

View Full Version : Looking for graphics card advice for AC Unity

SixKeys
07-07-2014, 10:41 PM
I've been saving up for a new graphics card, I intend to have a decent one for AC Unity when it comes out. I currently have Nvidia GeForce GTX 560. AC4 runs okay on medium settings, haven't played Watch Dogs yet, but I know I'm lagging behind in the graphics department.

Been thinking about GTX 760 or 780 for a replacement, but if you guys have suggestions for better cards within my price range (~250-400 euros), I'm all ears. Anyone who has played Watch Dogs maxed out for example, what would you recommend? Do you think a card that can run W_D fine will be good enough for Unity? Or is W_D a bad example with all its optimization issues? :p

YazX_
07-07-2014, 11:34 PM
well to be honest, WD could have been much more better, the 3GB Vram for Ultra textures is not justified at all and there is no use of Dx 11.2 and tiled resources, that without talking about proper PC optimization, IMO, as long as any game supports XBox 360 and PS3, then all ports will be like that. luckily though, ACU will only support next gen and PC, its the first game to do so, so i'm not sure how optimized this game will be, but sure thing it will be alot better than previous games.

GTX 780 should be more than enough to run any game maxed out @ 1920 x 1080, but if i were you, i would wait couple of months or until game release, Nvidia will be releasing new set of maxwell cards, so i'm guessing GTX 870 which will give you GTX 780 performance for lower price, plus you might get more than one game for free with a new Nvidia promotion, though i'm sure ACU will be included within a new promotion whether they released a new line of cards or not, thats the trend since AC3.

however, you still have the option to go with AMD, R9 290 is the best bang for the buck now for 100$ less than 780 and gives you better performance in most benches, unless if you want Nvidia, thats a user preference.

Anyway, you know that 560 is PCIEx 2.0, so you need PCIEx 3.0 for the new card to take full advantage of it without bottlenecking it, thats also apply on the CPU as well.

SixKeys
07-08-2014, 04:20 AM
I've been happy with Nvidia all these years, and I've heard AMD cards sometimes have compatibility issues with certain games, so I'mma stick with Nvidia. I will definitely wait a month or two before upgrading, a little patience can make a big difference in price. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. :)

playlisting
07-08-2014, 02:23 PM
I've been happy with Nvidia all these years, and I've heard AMD cards sometimes have compatibility issues with certain games, so I'mma stick with Nvidia. I will definitely wait a month or two before upgrading, a little patience can make a big difference in price. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. :)

A GTX 780 will be an excellent replacement. Once the 800 series comes out then the 700s will be a lot cheaper because the new ones are on a new architecture. So either wait for a bit and get a GTX 870, or you can buy a GTX 780. Also don't forget the 780 Ti, that's the most powerful single-GPU gaming card there is right now if I'm not mistaken and the price will drop significantly once the new cards are out. I recommend you wait for the GTX 870, the 560 as long as it's kept clean and cool should give you good results for the rest of this year.

SixKeys
07-08-2014, 02:47 PM
A GTX 780 will be an excellent replacement. Once the 800 series comes out then the 700s will be a lot cheaper because the new ones are on a new architecture. So either wait for a bit and get a GTX 870, or you can buy a GTX 780. Also don't forget the 780 Ti, that's the most powerful single-GPU gaming card there is right now if I'm not mistaken and the price will drop significantly once the new cards are out. I recommend you wait for the GTX 870, the 560 as long as it's kept clean and cool should give you good results for the rest of this year.

Thanks for the help! I'm not sure what the differences are between all the different models, or whether any particular one might be more suited for my current rig. Can you tell me if the 780 Ti seems good for this setup?

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Intel Core i5
CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
8192MB RAM

playlisting
07-09-2014, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the help! I'm not sure what the differences are between all the different models, or whether any particular one might be more suited for my current rig. Can you tell me if the 780 Ti seems good for this setup?

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Intel Core i5
CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
8192MB RAM

RAM is fine. I'd get a new CPU if I were you though. I recommend getting an i5 2500K. The processor you have right now would bottleneck a 780. Just had a look on eBay and the 2500K is selling for around 100 - 150.

In fact, if you buy an i5 2500K and a GTX 770, you'd be fine for easily 2 or 3 years, probably longer.

Anykeyer
07-09-2014, 06:44 AM
2500K isnt much of an upgrade over 750 if you consider overclocking (otherwise why get K). And if you dont than Haswell is much better (or at least on par if you do) bc of higher performance per clock and better chipsets.
At this point I dont think I5 is really future proof. With consoles having 8 cores multi-threading can hit soon, just like some games already require 3+ GB of VRAM. So I would suggest to either stick to 750 (bc its still a decent CPU) or get i7 haswell
As for GPU, last AC games are notorious for poor performace on ATI. Waiting for high-end maxwells sound like a good idea, but they probably be delayed untill next year. If you want something right now I would suggest looking at 770 4GB or 780 Ti.

strigoi1958
07-10-2014, 01:47 PM
I've got an i5 3570k (the system was shipped running at 4.5 but I set it back to standard) Nothing wrong with OC as long as other components are good enough... plus it's benefits are not huge in game enjoyment but great in video rendering.
Mine runs at 3.4 (turbo upto 3.8)plus losing the water cooling for a fan saved me 100 which paid for my last 6 games but I could have used that extra 100 to buy a better CPU. Anyway the 3570k runs all ac games very well and Watch Dogs looked good (although the game itself is a fail ;) for me.... part played and binned).
Back to your original question though... as Yaz said I'd go for the gtx 870 just because (in spite of their major driver problems which have burnt out a few GPU's plus ruined games for me) I still like nvidia and my 670 is too old now and I'm looking at buying a gtx 870.
There's nothing wrong with AMD but Ubi work with Nvidia so usually AMD play catch up with their drivers, likewise for nvidia and games that get developed with AMD... but the R9 290 is very impressive at an incredible price

YazX_
07-10-2014, 03:27 PM
my 670 is too old now and I'm looking at buying a gtx 870.

670 is not old, 700 series are just 600 series refresh (not all models but most), i dont think Maxwell will bring anything new to the table except same cat and mouse game, 870 GTX = 780 GTX performance with same price and lower power consumption, also an ARM core which i dont think it will make a difference in the time being since game development is already behind current tech and limited to next gen consoles.

i consider all 600 series owners are lucky because 700 series didnt bring anything new to the table, so its like same generation, if i were you, i would totally skip maxwell and get second 670 GTX for SLI, or upgrade on Pascal.

Anykeyer
07-10-2014, 05:36 PM
780 Ti is faster than 690 (dual-GPU card) in most real life cases. So 700 is much more than 600 refresh.
870 will be cheaper and less power hungry, thats enough reason to wait for it IMO.
You just made some assumption bc 770 is simply 680 with higher clocks and lower price. But thats bc 680 wasnt projected to be high end, otherwise it would not be called GK104. Nvidia uses this codename pattern: G = GPU, K - Kepler acrhitrcture, 1 - major acrhitecture revision, 0 - minor architecture revision, 4 - middle (0 - high end, 7 - low end, sometimes they also use other numbers).
Maybe nvidia got scared of how good (compared to Fermi) Kepler is and wanted to milk the market first or just had some big issues producing enough GK100s (the real 680) but this chip was never released.
Anyway, getting 2nd 670 isnt smart. 2GB of VRAM is already an issue in more than just 1 game. And single stronger GPU will always be better than SLI made of weak cards.

SixKeys
07-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. At this moment I think I'm gonna go for the 780 Ti. I'm still not sure what to do about the CPU though. What does everyone recommend for that?

YazX_
07-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. At this moment I think I'm gonna go for the 780 Ti. I'm still not sure what to do about the CPU though. What does everyone recommend for that?

Good choice if you can afford it, but dont forget that you need a decent power supply if you dont already own one.

Regarding CPU, well IMO, either you get a good CPU like Haswell i7 or stick with the one you have, as Anykeyer said, yours isn't bad at all, and with mild overclocking it will do just fine. the only problem i see is PCIEx 2.0 and no support for PCIEx 3.0, you will lose around 4-10% of performance according to benches. but 780 Ti is too much powerful that you wouldnt care about this loss in FPS.

Otherwise, if you insist to upgrade, you have to upgrade your MOBO and RAM (you can keep the ones you have for now if they are 1333 Mhz) as well which is somehow costly.

strigoi1958
07-11-2014, 12:06 AM
My system originally had a gtx 680 but as I don't game higher than 1920 x 1080 it seemed expensive and pointless so by switching to the palit gtx670 jetstream it saved me 170 (220 euros). The cheapest 780 ti I can find is 404 around 500 euros ouch :eek:.... I'd possibly sacrifice that for a 770 (or a 670 I can recommend my one... check out the videos on here I've uploaded it's brilliant) and look for a mobo, cpu and ram bundle and sell yours. TBH I usually just sell my tower and buy a new one as it works out better value.

Just looked on eeeeebay and saw Intel Core I5 4670K 3.8Ghz + Asus Z87-K Haswell Motherboard + Cooler bundle 260 (310 euros) and a palit gtx 770 jetstream at 220 (260 euros) thats only 70 euros more than a 780 ti and of course minus what you get if you sell your motherboard, cpu, ram and 560

SixKeys
07-11-2014, 02:16 AM
Looking around a bit it does seem the 780 Ti is out of my price range after all. 770 seems doable. Think I could get a 770 without upgrading my CPU?

Anykeyer
07-11-2014, 07:07 AM
Currently I have GTX 770 Lightning and 4770K. My current plan is to wait for maxwell (almost certain upgrade) and broadwell (will up if it overclocks noticably better than devils canyon aka haswell refresh, which is a fail IMO).
I used 770 with Core 750 for quite some time and it doesnt feel like this CPU bottlenecks this card, even at its default frequency. Default (no OC) 750 gives about 50 fps in AC3 and 40 in AC4 (both numbers are for cities), with everything (except for physx) on max. Default 4770K gives 55-60 and 45-50 (AC3/4). And haswell's (4770) default is already near its max OC frequency, while lynnfied (750) has a lot of room for overclocking.
Dont upgrade i5 to i5, even if its 1st gen to 4th gen jump. You wont see much difference in current games and 8 threads (read i7) can become a must for high fps bc of consoles having 8 cores, so more and more games will be optimised for multithreading.
The only problem with 770 in current games is 2GB, games like wolfenstein, battlefield and watch dogs want more memory for ultra settings. I would not be surprised if 6GB will become standard in high end gaming cards soon, thanks to consoles having a lot of shared memory this generation.

Secu12
07-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Fine choice if you go for either GTX 770 or GTX 780! I own a GTX 760 card and I am very pleased with it. AC 4 runs smooth @1920x1080 with high and very high details.
As for your CPU, I would suggest you not to go for i7 because there are few games who can take advantage of more than four cores. In some, there is no difference between tri and quad-cores (or very small). in video games, you don't need more than four cores for a decent play (by decent I mean to be able to play at least at medium settings). With the price difference between i5 and i7, you better go on a trip or something ;).
I guess it will take another 3 years to truly play games who require octa-cores. Don't let you fooled by the current-gen consoles!

playlisting
07-11-2014, 01:41 PM

Good choice if you can afford it, but dont forget that you need a decent power supply if you dont already own one.

Regarding CPU, well IMO, either you get a good CPU like Haswell i7 or stick with the one you have, as Anykeyer said, yours isn't bad at all, and with mild overclocking it will do just fine. the only problem i see is PCIEx 2.0 and no support for PCIEx 3.0, you will lose around 4-10% of performance according to benches. but 780 Ti is too much powerful that you wouldnt care about this loss in FPS.

Otherwise, if you insist to upgrade, you have to upgrade your MOBO and RAM (you can keep the ones you have for now if they are 1333 Mhz) as well which is somehow costly.

If you're going to upgrade CPU don't get an i7. The only thing they have over i5s is hyper-threading which games don't take advantage of, but video editing & 3D programs like Cinema 4D and Maya do. So unless you're doing either of those things a lot, then an i5 will be perfect. If you decide to go for haswell, get the i5 4670K.

Anykeyer
07-12-2014, 05:11 AM
Oh cmon. Dont say dont get i7 bc current games mostly dont benefit from it. Its bad point. Some games actually already do. Yes, the only difference is hyper threading and larger L3 cache. HT gives 2x performance if programs are actually using all 8 threads. And thats exactly how many cores new consoles have. Since majority of games are consoles ports now you can do your math.
Also pro software arent the only one working faster on i7. Even simple apps like winrar or video converters get very noticable boost.
Haswell got wider execution engine (actually first upgrade since Core 2 Duo) and ability to perform float and integer on the same core at the same time. And the only way to take advatnage of this is HT.

Secu12
07-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Which games take advantage of octa-cores? And here I don't mean and increase of 5-10 fps.

Also, if he is not going to overclock his cpu, then it's not necessary to buy 4670K. A simple 4670 will do just fine

YazX_
07-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Which games take advantage of octa-cores? And here I don't mean and increase of 5-10 fps.

Also, if he is not going to overclock his cpu, then it's not necessary to buy 4670K. A simple 4670 will do just fine

If you're going to upgrade CPU don't get an i7. The only thing they have over i5s is hyper-threading which games don't take advantage of, but video editing & 3D programs like Cinema 4D and Maya do. So unless you're doing either of those things a lot, then an i5 will be perfect. If you decide to go for haswell, get the i5 4670K.

well there are few games do -like Metro-, but the idea here is to build something that lasts at least 4 years from now, as Anykeyer said and i totally agree with him, more and more games will be optimized to utilize all 8 cores since game developers are dumping last gen consoles and adapting new ones, so no need to limit performance.

Anyway, i7 CPU is better in every single aspect, even in daily processing that is non games related, you will notice the performance difference right away, and for current released games that only utilize quad cores at max, i'd rather see my CPU working 50% on i7 than 100% on i5 and have plenty of room for it to be utilized more for any future games and not limited to 4 cores.

Fatal-Feit
07-13-2014, 05:29 AM
I would recommend saving up just a bit more so you can prepare for a whole generation without upgrading. --About 100-200$ more should last you more than 5-6 years. And instead of getting a very high-end GPU like the GTX 780(Ti) for 1080p gaming, I'd recommend you find the sweet-spot for your budget. IMO, since you're already bottleneck, I recommend you get an i5 4670k (210$) or the new 4690k for 20$ more. --Those are absolutely perfect for gaming at 1080p, and will offer you plenty of longevity. And for the GPU, get the GTX 770 4gb (360$). Make sure to grab the 4gb version because knowing Ubisoft, you'd want to prepare for next-gen requirements *cough*Watch_Dogs*cough*.

EDIT - With those, you should have little to no problems running any of Ubisoft's future titles at max settings in 1080p, even if they're poorly optimized. Unless of course, Ubisoft manages to make a terrible port that even defeats Watch_Dogs'.