PDA

View Full Version : AC:U Needs _____ to be Best AC Ever!

TheIronLotus420
07-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Hey all, first time poster here. Not sure if there is a thread about this already or not, but if there is Mods feel free to move it or merge, thanks.

To start out, I'm a HUGE AC fan and have played every console game in the series (1, 2, Bro., Rev., 3, 4). I'm wondering what YOU would want to see in this game to make it the best AC game to date! For me, some things are...

- First and foremost, I want to see a GREAT story. To me, ACII had the best storyline with Ezio being a fan fav. and all, and all of the mystery surrounding TOWCB. Ever since, the stories seem to be very superficial, and only implemented around showcasing certain gameplay mechanics (Battle of Lexington, Concord in ACIII comes to mind). Also, forcing characters like George Washington into the game just to say he was there (DaVinci as well, but he was slightly more meaningful). Having a powerful story will put this game over the top from good to great game.

- Relating to the story, just scrap the present day story already! Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the Desmond saga and the ties of ancestral DNA to the animus, Abstergo, etc. but it is just so forced now! Only hardcore fans appreciate the MD story (and even some are getting sick of it) and newcomers to the series are only absurdly confused. It is so confounded now that I feel like the game itself would be better if they never spent time to make all of the MD stuff. Just throw us in an era and be done with it! It seems like thay are heading in this direction in AC:U. (Just turn W_D into the MD assassin lolz :p)

- The biggest part of gameply I want to see return is I want to see a TON of different weapns, all with UNIQUE animations. I absolutely loved how in ACII you had those awesome assassination animations with heavy axes that were different that the deadly combo assassinations you could achieve with a sword. I HATED how in ACIV every single animation for every single weapon was the same. I can barely even tell the difference of effectiveness in weapon stats --> make stats matter!

- Implement more RPG elements in the game. That said, this is NOT an RPG like Skyrim, the Witcher, etc. I know they already announced a skills tree, and I think this is a great idea to make it feel like we are truly rising the ranks through the Brotherhood. Something I'd like to see is property purchasing a la ACII, but better. Also, I want to see a DOPE assassin hideout/base which could act as like a hub to all of our actions and missions.

These are just a few of my ideas off the top of my head that they have not confirmed to be in the game yet. I like the fact that there sounds like there are many different outfit options with different clothing having an impact on your skills (a nice little RPG element). I LOVE that they finally are prioritizing stealth with a dedicated button. And I hope hope hope that what they lead us to believe with improved combat is true (although I remain highly skeptical).

What are some of the essential things AC:U must have for it to be your favorite AC game?

JustPlainQuirky
07-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Welcome to the forums :o

For it to be the best for me? Let's see:

Epic modern day with all the assassin ancestors of desmond working together to defeat juno. (already debunked)

so yeah not possible for unity to be best for me.

But i will like it a lot if it has Connor, a really good narrative, templars who aren't mustache twirlers, and a union between templars and assassins. Or something else equally awesome :p

I-Like-Pie45
07-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Welcome to the forums :o

For it to be the best for me? Let's see:

Epic modern day with all the assassin ancestors of desmond working together to defeat juno. (already debunked)

so yeah not possible for unity to be best for me.

But i will like it a lot if it has Connor, a really good narrative, templars who aren't mustache twirlers, and a union between templars and assassins. Or something else equally awesome :p
You're going to be one disappointed kid on Christmas morning.

Assassin_M
07-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Hmm...for it to be the best...Arno's backstory not be a copy of Ezio's, Arno's personality not be a copy of Ezio's, bring nothing back from AC II (hiring factions, stupid blending, unnecessary weapons) and not use AC II's characterization as a template.

That'd be all

Jexx21
07-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Genitalia

Megas_Doux
07-07-2014, 10:23 PM
AC I atmosphere, grey morals and freedom.
AC II Narrative, soundtrack and platforming levels.
ACB side mission.
ACR quality of a city.
AC III antagonist and fun combat,
AC IV overall world and sandbox design.

Then real stealth ,better AI, more challenging combat, better customization and random events.

pacmanate
07-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Hmm...for it to be the best...Arno's backstory not be a copy of Ezio's, Arno's personality not be a copy of Ezio's, bring nothing back from AC II (hiring factions, stupid blending, unnecessary weapons) and not use AC II's characterization as a template.

That'd be all

Im pretty sure a crap/rushed paced story would be worse than this.

LoyalACFan
07-07-2014, 10:41 PM
"to deliver on everything they've shown so far." It looks like it could easily be the best AC ever if they just keep their promises, especially concerning mission design and eliminating linearity.

That'd be all

To be honest I don't care if their backgrounds are literally the exact same thing as long as the story in the game is different, and they don't linger too long on setting up the backstory. Gradually revealing it through flashback memories like the Cristina memories or those Caroline cutscenes in between sequences would be greatly preferable to spending five hours on prologue again.

Megas_Doux
07-07-2014, 10:43 PM
I re-read the OP, it is pretty much AC II 2.0. That´s fine, but why IGNORE the rest of the games?
Why IGNORE AC I´s grey morals, why IGNORE having REAL antagonists instead of cartoonish plain ones? Why IGNORE the great sandbox structure of AC IV? Why ignore good side content such as the templar hunts or the Da Vinci´s Machine missions?

WHY????

Fatal-Feit
07-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Welcome to the forums.

First - I really hope they don't downgrade the story back to AC:2's type of cliche narrative. The story in that game is very overrated, IMO. Something grand, unique, and meaningful like AC:R/AC:IV/AC:3's is what I'm hoping for. And as you said, I really hope they don't force in historical characters for the sake of it as well. Although, I didn't think George Washington or Leonardo da Vinci felt forced at all. They made great cameos.

Second - AC:IV's modern day did not bother me at all. In fact, I enjoyed it and hope they expand upon it. Maybe add the option of choices/decisions during conversations and such. Also, set the players in a setting somewhere related to the ancestor story. For example, I hope they set the players somewhere next to the Eiffel Tower and allow the players to explore parts of modern day Paris in first person. --That would be amazing, and would help compliment Unity's and future installment's arc, IMO. Also say, if we're visiting China in a future installment, have modern players explore Hong Kong. Placing the players in some drab underground Assassin hideout or an Abstergo building aren't the best ways to invigorate players.

Third - No 100% synch conditions. That is not the right way of introducing difficulty into the games. If you want players to get a sense of difficulty, THEN MAKE IT DIFFICULT. These 100% synch conditions are more of a nuisance and work than a fun challenge.

Sesheenku
07-07-2014, 10:53 PM
"to deliver on everything they've shown so far." It looks like it could easily be the best AC ever if they just keep their promises, especially concerning mission design and eliminating linearity.

To be honest I don't care if their backgrounds are literally the exact same thing as long as the story in the game is different, and they don't linger too long on setting up the backstory. Gradually revealing it through flashback memories like the Cristina memories or those Caroline cutscenes in between sequences would be greatly preferable to spending five hours on prologue again.

This ^

Don't put another 5 hour prologue unless those 5 hours are nothing but 1/10th of the game. Kai Ubi? Don't friggin do it.

If they deliver it should be good.

Bring back weapon variety, AC4 had no weapon variety... here's your crappy ranged poison/sleep thing, here's your basic as hell melee weapon and your hidden blade. That was crap. Make sure your variety is good and that each weapon has a useful function and purpose.

Your 1000 stories of Paris better not amount to 20 insignificant side missions that are dull as sin Ubi or I'm going to cut you. Those missions better be 10x more engaging than the already engaging Homestead missions, than what you're hyping them as and you damn well better deliver.

I don't care too much about the story as long as it's good enough to give me extra reason to continue.

OP you're right that ACU better be the best AC they've ever made cause if they disappoint us one more time, I don't know about you but I'm done.

ACfan443
07-07-2014, 10:54 PM

That'd be all

I totally misinterpreted your post upon first read, for some bizarre reason I skipped over the 'not's and thought 'wait a minute, is M being serious or facetious?' :p

Assassin_M
You wouldnt mind that his father was an Assassin murdered by Templars??

Im pretty sure a crap/rushed paced story would be worse than this.
yeah, like AC II

I totally misinterpreted your post upon first read, for some bizarre reason I skipped over the 'not's and thought 'wait a minute, is M being serious or facetious?' :p
I might surprise you today.

LoyalACFan
For example, I hope they set the players somewhere next to the Eiffel Tower and allow the players to explore parts of modern day Paris in first person.

I believe they did say the Eiffel Tower would be featured, but never elaborated on how. It's obviously not in the free-roam map, and I doubt it'd be available to explore in first-person. Maybe it'll be in some kind of POE vision of the future, like Washington's unfinished pyramid?

LoyalACFan
07-07-2014, 11:02 PM
You wouldnt mind that his father was an Assassin murdered by Templars??

No. I wouldn't care if his father Giovanni Frenchitore got hung by Uberto Baguetti. As long as Arno's reaction to that event is sufficiently different from Ezio's so that we don't get a rerun of the same plot. Backstories aren't that important IMO. It's all about what the character does subsequently. Hell, Connor's backstory is basically identical to Luke Skywalker's (family dies in fire, he gets adopted by an old hermit Jedi/Assassin, dad turns out to be his mortal nemesis) but AC3 didn't feel anything like Star Wars.

Assassin_M
07-07-2014, 11:08 PM
No. I wouldn't care if his father Giovanni Frenchitore got hung by Uberto Baguetti. As long as Arno's reaction to that event is sufficiently different from Ezio's so that we don't get a rerun of the same plot. Backstories aren't that important IMO. It's all about what the character does subsequently. Hell, Connor's backstory is basically identical to Luke Skywalker's (family dies in fire, he gets adopted by an old hermit Jedi/Assassin, dad turns out to be his mortal nemesis) but AC3 didn't feel anything like Star Wars.
So just his different reaction would make it sufficiently different?? I guess they should make him sadder then and not crack as much jokes but we all knew that wont happen since they brought up "charismatic"

SixKeys
07-07-2014, 11:08 PM

That'd be all

So all it needs to achieve is not be a copy of AC2? Such low standards.

I'm skeptical about Unity becoming the best AC yet. It would need to have:

-A deeply philosophical and engaging story (both modern and historical) like AC1
-Atmosphere that surpasses AC1 (which none of the other games have achieved so far)
-Fantastic soundtrack
-Tons of innovation, almost no recycling of old ideas
-The features that are recycled need to be greatly improved upon, fit the overall feel of the game and work exactly as intended
-Little to no glitches and bugs
-Lots and lots of good side content, ACB-style (where every single side mission was related to the big picture, i.e. taking down the Borgias)
-Random events
-For the co-op to work flawlessly with no constant disconnects and lag like in the multiplayer
-Different weapons actually having different stats and affecting your playstyle. I.e. heavy weapons would make you slower but stronger, small weapons would make you swift but vulnerable.
-An epic, sprawling story with lots of assassinations like AC2
-No social events, chests, convoys etc. that are tied to online functionality

So just his different reaction would make it sufficiently different?? I guess they should make him sadder then and not crack as much jokes but we all knew that wont happen since they brought up "charismatic"

Haytham was charismatic but not because he was a comedian.

Assassin_M
07-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Haytham was charismatic but not because he was a comedian.
Charisma is attractiveness and charm, people ONLY care about comedic charisma, like Haytham's and Ezio's...anything else is non-existent to charisma loving fans.

SixKeys
07-07-2014, 11:16 PM
Charisma is attractiveness and charm, people ONLY care about comedic charisma, like Haytham's and Ezio's...anything else is non-existent to charisma loving fans.

:rolleyes:

Haytham was charismatic because he handled himself with such grace and nobility. Yes, he cracked a few jokes here and there but hell, even Connor did that. Haytham was more charismatic than Edward IMO and Edward was the more light-hearted of the two.

LoyalACFan
07-07-2014, 11:18 PM

That's not what charismatic means. Charismatic just means able to inspire loyalty.

Plus I don't think we're dealing with the direct aftermath of his stepfather's death this time, the way they described it made it sound like it happened when he was just a little kid.

Edit- also, I wouldn't put too much stock in pre-release characterizations of the protagonist. I distinctly remember them calling Connor "stoic"... lel

JustPlainQuirky
07-07-2014, 11:25 PM
I wasn't even aware Haytham had charisma :p

ACB side mission.
ACR quality of a city.

Then real stealth ,better AI, more challenging combat, better customization and random events.

THIS!!

Megas_Doux
07-07-2014, 11:26 PM
What really concerns me is how Ubi will be able to match the true and rich sandbox feel of AC IV.
And please Ubi, more Haythams, less Borgias!!!

Assassin_M
07-07-2014, 11:29 PM
That's not what charismatic means. Charismatic just means able to inspire loyalty.

Plus I don't think we're dealing with the direct aftermath of his stepfather's death this time, the way they described it made it sound like it happened when he was just a little kid.

Edit- also, I wouldn't put too much stock in pre-release characterizations of the protagonist. I distinctly remember them calling Connor "stoic"... lel
No, Charismatic means what I said, it's in the dictionary.

:rolleyes:

Haytham was charismatic because he handled himself with such grace and nobility. Yes, he cracked a few jokes here and there but hell, even Connor did that. Haytham was more charismatic than Edward IMO and Edward was the more light-hearted of the two.
Connor never cracked jokes.

Jackburns14
07-08-2014, 12:17 AM

By reaction I assume he means the action he takes as a result of his father's death. In ACII, Ezio pretty much just went after the people conspiring against his family. He wanted revenge for his father and brothers. So, when he says reaction, he probably doesn't mean the look on his face. Perhaps after Arno's father dies, instead of killing the men who killed his father (like Ezio), he wants to find out why he was killed, which eventually leads him to discovering, and eventually joining, the assassins . Perhaps his father is a templar, and Arno goes after the assassin that killed him, only to learn that his father was a very evil man, and then joins the assassins. What, I think, he is saying is that he doesn't want Arno to simply hunt down his father's conspirators and kill them, but instead, react more calmly and rationally, react even more violently, have no real emotional reaction, etc...

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-08-2014, 12:33 AM
ACB side mission.
ACR quality of a city.

I second this!

Xstantin
07-08-2014, 12:40 AM
No, Charismatic means what I said, it's in the dictionary.

Hannibal Lecter and Walter White are considered to be charismatic characters, and neither of them is cute, funny or endearing.

TheDanteEX
07-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Despite seeing some good ideas here, I don't think we should be looking at it in a "take the best from each game" type of way. That's only going to make it feel "same-y". I can't imagine this being as simple as needing ____ to be the best AC game yet.

Jexx21
07-08-2014, 12:50 AM

I think he did, a few times.

Megas_Doux
07-08-2014, 12:51 AM
My problem with Connor is the actor behind him, just dont buy his performance.

Jexx21
07-08-2014, 12:53 AM
I loved Noah Watts.

Also I thought AC3's atmosphere was a lot better than AC1's. I feel like AC3 really immerses me in the colonies, AC1 is close to the same level but it falls behind imo.

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-08-2014, 12:57 AM

"Recovered from your beating, then?"

"It seems your tongue has tasted sour grapes."

"I will not die today. The same cannot be said for you."

:p

I'll admit there was some things wrong with the voiced acting, but hey, not every voice actor is perfect, not even North or Baker.

TheIronLotus420
07-08-2014, 01:10 AM
I really liked the atmosphere in AC1 as well.

One thing that I think would really improve AC's narrative just in general, is if they really focus on moral ambiguity. What I mean is that for the entirety of the series, we have been led to believe (for more or less) Assassins = Good, Templars = Evil. To me, this is FAR from the truth. It has been alluded to that the Assassins and Templars are basically after the same thing, yet have different methods behind achieving it. Each faction wants people to essentially FEEL free; the Assassins want to achieve this by truly freeing people from rules, control, Templars, etc. while the Templars want to control people through the pieces of Eden, but having order, control, safe environments, etc.

In truth, Assassins are pretty ruthless killers who tend to not examine the far reaching impacts of their actions, only the immediate relief they may feel. I think this is also why people have been clamoring for some time now to play as a Templar as the protagonist in an upcoming game. IMO, Assassins are the ultimate badass killers and I wouldn't even want to play as a Templar. But you don't need to make it seem like we are always killing for an ultimately, no ifs ands or buts about it, good cause. Ya know?!

pacmanate
07-08-2014, 01:55 AM
"Recovered from your beating, then?"

"It seems your tongue has tasted sour grapes."

"I will not die today. The same cannot be said for you."

:p

I'll admit there was some things wrong with the voiced acting, but hey, not every voice actor is perfect, not even North or Baker.

Uhh, Baker is AMAZING. He never breaks character and always says things convincingly. Give me an example where Baker has failed?

Jexx21
07-08-2014, 02:05 AM
Sometimes in Arkham Origins he tried to mimic Mark Hamill too much instead of being his own Joker.

I-Like-Pie45
07-08-2014, 02:09 AM
He was nothing but a mimic

but not as bad as Roger Craig Smith so nobody noticed

Jexx21
07-08-2014, 02:10 AM
I dunno, I liked Smith's work as Batman.

pacmanate
07-08-2014, 02:12 AM
Sometimes in Arkham Origins he tried to mimic Mark Hamill too much instead of being his own Joker.

That's not wavering off character though at all.

Jexx21
07-08-2014, 02:41 AM
Okay? Well very rarely do I notice voice actors go off character.. You can't just ask where a VA has failed and then reject an answer just because it wasn't the kind of flaw you were looking for.

Fatal-Feit
07-08-2014, 03:00 AM

Not particularly, but he had some unintentional funny moments thanks to great writing.

Sesheenku
07-08-2014, 03:47 AM

What... I don't care about that wise crack ****. I like Haytham cause he's sophisticated and intelligent.

Don't generalize dude. Only idiots work in absolutes. You're not an idiot are you?

JustPlainQuirky
07-08-2014, 03:48 AM
What... I don't care about that wise crack ****. I like Haytham cause he's sophisticated and intelligent.

Don't generalize dude. Only idiots work in absolutes. You're not an idiot are you?

Shots fired. :rolleyes:

Shahkulu101
07-08-2014, 03:49 AM
I think Baker's joker is better than Hamill's and that they have distinct voices - I prefer Troy's laugh as well. (I played Origins but watched Hamill's performance on YouTube)

On topic:-

-The Assassination missions to be top notch and fantastically designed. Fully open ended with several paths and choices.
- AI to be adapted so the guards do not appear mentally challenged.
- Fun side missions and dynamic events that fit the overall story and atmosphere.
- Amazing soundtrack with breathtaking ambient music.
- Combat to be just challenging enough that I will actually feel inclined to act like an assassin and use stealth.
- Epic, engaging and emotional narrative that I can invest in and terrific cast of characters (including Arno).

JustPlainQuirky
07-08-2014, 03:50 AM
lol shahk I don't think AI will ever not appear mentally challenged in some regard.

I personally want the enemies to have unique faces instead of recycling the same 5 or 6 character faces over and over.

Not saying there should be 2347983274923749 different faces but if I can recognize repeats easily there's a problem. Really ruins immersion for me.

Shahkulu101
07-08-2014, 03:54 AM
The guard AI is so bad...

They don't act like humans, there's no achievements in their deaths because you don't have to outwit them. Contrast that with TLoU, where every death carries a weight of relief to it and it feels like you've eliminated a serious threat, and it's laughable.

SixKeys
07-08-2014, 04:38 AM

Humble_Assassin gave a few examples where he did. Also:

"There's no way of knowing what's on the other siiiide--!
-We do now."

Sesheenku
07-08-2014, 05:08 AM
Shots fired. :rolleyes:

Don't be silly, I don't even own a gun ;P.

jeordievera
07-08-2014, 10:50 AM
-The Assassination missions to be top notch and fantastically designed. Fully open ended with several paths and choices.
- AI to be adapted so the guards do not appear mentally challenged.
- Fun side missions and dynamic events that fit the overall story and atmosphere.
- Amazing soundtrack with breathtaking ambient music.
- Combat to be just challenging enough that I will actually feel inclined to act like an assassin and use stealth.
- Epic, engaging and emotional narrative that I can invest in and terrific cast of characters (including Arno).

I second that!!

Anyway I think Connor had really dry humor which I enjoy :)
Like when he felt off the tree while collecting feathers with Kanen'tó:kon: "What, I did that on purpos.."

roostersrule2
07-09-2014, 05:33 AM
ACB side mission.
ACR quality of a city.

Then real stealth ,better AI, more challenging combat, better customization and random events.This.

Dan77777777777
07-12-2014, 07:59 AM
ACB side mission.
ACR quality of a city.

this guy gets it