PDA

View Full Version : Arno Has One Hidden Blade

Jackburns14
07-07-2014, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but, i was watching some of the AC Unity game play demos from E3. I noticed in the co-op game play that Arno only had one hidden blade. It is on his left arm. I figured that he must have the phantom blade on his right arm but, it too is on his left arm. Now this game play takes place in 1789, when Arno first joins the brotherhood. I suppose he only has one hidden blade because he just joined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZMGI0lpNbA

Next i looked for the game play demo that was shown at the Ubisoft Keynote. It is much harder to tell but it appears that he still only has one hidden blade. this trailer takes place in 1793, four years after Arno, joined and he still only has one hidden blade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQJ3irfmuvU

so this leads me to believe that Arno can only be equipped with one hidden blade, which I'm totally fine with. Perhaps you can choose to equip a second one on your other arm. Again, I'm not sure if this has been posted yet by someone else so sorry if I'm telling you what you already know.

Wolfmeister1010
07-07-2014, 05:59 PM
old old old old

But yes I am very happy that we are returning to one hidden blade

JustPlainQuirky
07-07-2014, 06:02 PM
I think you will be able to equip a second.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-07-2014, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but, i was watching some of the AC Unity game play demos from E3. I noticed in the co-op game play that Arno only had one hidden blade. It is on his left arm. I figured that he must have the phantom blade on his right arm but, it too is on his left arm. Now this game play takes place in 1789, when Arno first joins the brotherhood. I suppose he only has one hidden blade because he just joined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZMGI0lpNbA

Next i looked for the game play demo that was shown at the Ubisoft Keynote. It is much harder to tell but it appears that he still only has one hidden blade. this trailer takes place in 1793, four years after Arno, joined and he still only has one hidden blade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQJ3irfmuvU

so this leads me to believe that Arno can only be equipped with one hidden blade, which I'm totally fine with. Perhaps you can choose to equip a second one on your other arm. Again, I'm not sure if this has been posted yet by someone else so sorry if I'm telling you what you already know.

I hope you can choose to wear a second hidden blade. I love the hidden blade double kil!!

guardian_titan
07-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Could just be the return to a progression system. AC2 started off with a single hidden blade, too, and you get the second later on. Given that E3 demos are notoriously inaccurate, I wouldn't look too much into him only having one blade. They could have just taken an earlier Arno and threw him into a later mission because the later Arno was spoilerly or something. Or they just didn't turn on specific upgrades for the E3 demo which might have included the second hidden blade.

Calvarok
07-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Jexx spotted a screen of a player with a second blade. It would be cool if it took a while to get the second one. Brotherhood did that too, but what's most important is that when you do get them, there's a substantive difference. It seems you can double assassinate with only one blade now, so I wonder how they'll differentiate it. maybe it'll only go as far as a poison blade attachment on the new one, or maybe the animations for double assassinations will be quicker?

It would be a good excuse for them to really justify the two-blade thing. I've never really found it added a whole lot to gameplay, for the most part it just meant that the designers occasionally placed two enemies side by side instead of one. It would be nice to see a more interesting mechanic added by having two blades in Unity.

I wonder... will there be a reason to choose one blade over two? like, a stat/ability trade-off or something?

Hans684
07-07-2014, 06:27 PM
http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/ps4/assassins_creed_unity/screens/assassins_creed_unity_5.jpg

Green Arno, two Hidden Blades.

JustPlainQuirky
07-07-2014, 06:27 PM
That theory got debunked fast :rolleyes:

Jexx21
07-07-2014, 06:29 PM
that image is broken Bmark

I means Hans.

Hans684
07-07-2014, 06:31 PM
that image is broken Bmark

I means Hans.

Just Hannibal please.

LoyalACFan
07-07-2014, 11:22 PM
http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/ps4/assassins_creed_unity/screens/assassins_creed_unity_5.jpg

Green Arno, two Hidden Blades.

This. I suspect it'll be tied in with the upgrade system; higher-level stealth players will be able to get two blades so they can perform double assassinations faster.

Jexx21
07-08-2014, 12:59 AM
or maybe two hidden blades lets you do triple assassinations. Like, if there's three guards, run up at kill two, and then the guy is surprised and you kill him.

Like... Far Cry 3 has this double air takedown where you jump and knife a guy, and if there's someone next to him you then stab that guy as well.

TheIronLotus420
07-08-2014, 01:14 AM
I'm really digging the dual assassination with one hidden blade! It looks so fluid!

Calvarok
07-08-2014, 03:17 AM
or maybe two hidden blades lets you do triple assassinations. Like, if there's three guards, run up at kill two, and then the guy is surprised and you kill him.

Like... Far Cry 3 has this double air takedown where you jump and knife a guy, and if there's someone next to him you then stab that guy as well.
huh. I'm not so sure about that... I'd prefer something that gives you more tactical options for how you use the blades, rather than just increasing how many fools you can take out at once.

Jexx21
07-08-2014, 04:31 AM
I dunno, I'd think it be a lot better than simply increasing the speed of double Assassinations.

Calvarok
07-08-2014, 04:59 AM
I dunno, I'd think it be a lot better than simply increasing the speed of double Assassinations.
I'd assume that it would also be the only way to double air assassinate, since I can't see that happening with one blade. so that would be an added benefit too. and "better", I dunno about that. it would be more powerful, but I don't know if that's really what the game needs.

Jexx21
07-08-2014, 05:01 AM
Eh, I don't know, I feel like the force of some high up air assassinations should kill people without any blades being stuck into them.

LoyalACFan
07-08-2014, 05:15 AM
I'd assume that it would also be the only way to double air assassinate, since I can't see that happening with one blade. so that would be an added benefit too. and "better", I dunno about that. it would be more powerful, but I don't know if that's really what the game needs.

I'd think it would work with one blade just like the running double assassinations do. He stabs one guy and shoves the other to the floor, then reaches over and finishes him off.

Lonnie_Jackson
07-08-2014, 05:25 AM
In-game only left and CGi it's on his right. I think we will be given the chose as we progress. But I think Phantom Blade will only be on the left.

Calvarok
07-08-2014, 05:32 AM
I dunno, it would be pretty strange if 1 hidden blade were used to do literally everything two were required for previously. it would be nice if at least one move remained exclusive, but I suppose it might help for balancing levels so that people with 1 hidden blade aren't flummoxed by two guards if they chose not to bring a second.

so I really do wonder what the benefit of a second blade will be. I think "triple assassination" is a bit much when this game is supposed to encourage stealth, but I would like something new we haven't been able to do before. and again, I wonder why you'd want to only carry one blade, what might that trade-off of abilities/stats be?

Ureh
07-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Maybe double blades improve the chance of a successful double assassination (cause one of the demos showed that it's possible to whiff running-double-kills).

Or maybe double assassinations with one blade are high-profile, whereas double blades allow you to remain incognito while performing double kills? Could be wrong though.

Aphex_Tim
07-08-2014, 08:43 AM
I actually quite like the idea of having as few weapons as possible (hooray for customization!) It means I can finally actually be a blade in the crowd instead of looking like a heavily armed Rambo-monk. And it also prevents me from acting like one.

jeordievera
07-08-2014, 10:41 AM
I actually quite like the idea of having as few weapons as possible (hooray for customization!) It means I can finally actually be a blade in the crowd instead of looking like a heavily armed Rambo-monk. And it also prevents me from acting like one.

Same with me, I usually use only like 4 favourite weapons.

Anyway the demo shows double assassination with one hidden blade, so its possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZiIfJbVO6A around 2:36

Farlander1991
07-08-2014, 10:51 AM
It's a running assassination, though. Even Edward I think has one or two high profile assassinations where he kills two targets with one blade. And Connor with a single tomahawk as well if I remember correctly. Basically, ever since AC3 you don't necessarily need two hidden blades for a high profile double assassination.

king-hailz
07-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Since this one is gonna have a lot more progression... i think we will unlock it at some point in the game...

Calvarok
07-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Maybe double blades improve the chance of a successful double assassination (cause one of the demos showed that it's possible to whiff running-double-kills).

Or maybe double assassinations with one blade are high-profile, whereas double blades allow you to remain incognito while performing double kills? Could be wrong though.
that was due to the guy not making it to his targets before they were alerted, you can't perform a stealth takedown when not in stealth.

EmbodyingSeven5
07-09-2014, 12:07 AM
No he has two. at one point in the single player demo Arno enters a building and double assassinate two guards speaking with a women. I would like the game to start you off with one hidden blade though. adds to progression.

Calvarok
07-09-2014, 12:44 AM
No he has two. at one point in the single player demo Arno enters a building and double assassinate two guards speaking with a women. I would like the game to start you off with one hidden blade though. adds to progression.
he stabs one of them, pulls the other to the ground with his bladeless arm, and then stabs the one he pulled. watch carefully at the beginning of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnQOE3LMYI

notice how the guard on the right only makes a death noise when he stabs him with his left hand blade? notice how his arm actually hooks over the first guard's shoulder, instead of stabbing him? There's no blood on that guard's body until he stabs him, too.

travilanche
07-09-2014, 04:13 AM
he stabs one of them, pulls the other to the ground with his bladeless arm, and then stabs the one he pulled. watch carefully at the beginning of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnQOE3LMYI

notice how the guard on the right only makes a death noise when he stabs him with his left hand blade? notice how his arm actually hooks over the first guard's shoulder, instead of stabbing him? There's no blood on that guard's body until he stabs him, too.

I noticed this the day the video was released. Not sure why people keep insisting that he has two blades when this video proves that at least at this point in the game he only has one.

Calvarok
07-09-2014, 06:10 AM
I noticed this the day the video was released. Not sure why people keep insisting that he has two blades when this video proves that at least at this point in the game he only has one.
well, remember that these demos are rarely accurate as to what the player is going to have at any given point in the game, since they're usually designed to show off the feel of the entire game

SirOrange01
07-31-2016, 09:16 AM
i like the way arno double assasinates enemies with one hidden blade he is so cool but the phantom blade should have been on his right hand
anyways
LEGENDARY ONE HIDDEN BLADE TIMES ARE BACK

Megas_Doux
07-31-2016, 04:15 PM
i like the way arno double assasinates enemies with one hidden blade he is so cool but the phantom blade should have been on his right hand
anyways
LEGENDARY ONE HIDDEN BLADE TIMES ARE BACK

Gotta agree with you! I prefer just one hidden blade.

ze_topazio
07-31-2016, 06:02 PM
My problem with one hidden blade is that it makes no logical sense in universe, two are lot more useful, the French Brotherhood seems super rich, can't they provide Arno with two hidden blades like all Assassins have been using since at least the times of Ezio?

Then, Arno can still kill two guards at the same time by doing some dance, so having only one hidden blade it's really just aesthetics since having just one hidden blade doesn't even limits his abilities.

Ureh
08-01-2016, 08:10 AM
My problem with one hidden blade is that it makes no logical sense in universe, two are lot more useful, the French Brotherhood seems super rich, can't they provide Arno with two hidden blades like all Assassins have been using since at least the times of Ezio?

Then, Arno can still kill two guards at the same time by doing some dance, so having only one hidden blade it's really just aesthetics since having just one hidden blade doesn't even limits his abilities.

They started using double blades since Altair (this is the earliest recording anyway). Fortunately Altair redesigned it so that those who wield two blades don't have to sever two fingers. :p

The only explanation I can think of as to why it might not be practical to wear two blades is that they can potentially restrict movement. Even if a wielder was to forego the bracers/vambraces, they would have to fasten the blades onto their arms very tightly. I've never tried it myself but I just keep imagining that it would be extremely uncomfortable and might not make it easy for the assassin to twist/bend their arm while climbing/fighting.

Arno didn't unlock the ability to double assassinate and double air assassinate until he learned how to perform them later on with just one blade. The trade-off is that animations are usually longer (and more flashy) when compared to the double assassination from past games. I do agree that in many cases, two blades are faster than one.

---
What's funny is that the playable characters in Syndicate seem to only have one blade. But certain combat animations seem to imply that they have two (although I never saw a second blade possibly due to graphics bug or maybe the devs forgot to put them in).

Fatal-Feit
08-01-2016, 10:05 AM
@ze_topazio: That's true, honestly. :p ...The way I imagine it, the French Brotherhood was all about keeping things light, much like how Arno dressed. If they've already perfected techniques for double assassinations with one blade, there's no point in carrying a second.

What's funny is that the playable characters in Syndicate seem to only have one blade. But certain combat animations seem to imply that they have two (although I never saw a second blade possibly due to graphics bug or maybe the devs forgot to put them in).

In a cutscene for one of the main assassinations, Jacob used two blades to cut his target's throat. I guess they decided to put their efforts elsewhere instead of making new double assassination animations.

Ureh
08-01-2016, 07:40 PM
@ze_topazio: That's true, honestly. :p ...The way I imagine it, the French Brotherhood was all about keeping things light, much like how Arno dressed. If they've already perfected techniques for double assassinations with one blade, there's no point in carrying a second.

In a cutscene for one of the main assassinations, Jacob used two blades to cut his target's throat. I guess they decided to put their efforts elsewhere instead of making new double assassination animations.

Yeah that's right. In Elliotson's scene you can see Jacob stabbing him in the neck with an "invisible" blade on his right arm.

But there's a kukri animation shared between all the Fryes that does show a blade on the right. Kinda weird huh?

I'm just being overly picky about the inconsistency (or the bug on my game).

Like a mustachioed man once said, "Time heals all wounds." I'll eventually forget about it.

Farlander1991
08-01-2016, 10:13 PM
Yeah that's right. In Elliotson's scene you can see Jacob stabbing him in the neck with an "invisible" blade on his right arm.

It's not invisible. The twins have blades on both arms. A clear example is here:
https://s32.postimg.org/w20l3n1h1/Untitled.jpg

It's just that they don't have a bracer on their right arm, but you don't necessarily need one. For example Ezio doesn't have one on promotional screenshots of AC2/AC2 Ezio or in ACB if you buy a second hidden blade but don't buy bracers (it looks like in the promo screens of AC2). Connor also doesn't have a bracer on his right arm.

http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/604/18181/951077-ezio_super.png

Ureh
08-01-2016, 10:42 PM
That's the Earl of a cardigan. I was referring to Elliotson the doc from Lambeth asylum.

Farlander1991
08-01-2016, 10:59 PM
That's the Earl of a cardigan. I was referring to Elliotson the doc from Lambeth asylum.

Oh. Well, with Elliotson it's worth noting that, based on the sounds, Jacob extracts the hidden blade just as the hit is about to land, and he detracts it at the same time as he pulls the hand away.

Ureh
08-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Oh. Well, with Elliotson it's worth noting that, based on the sounds, Jacob extracts the hidden blade just as the hit is about to land, and he detracts it at the same time as he pulls the hand away.

Yea I did think about that too. Back when I was making a vid, I replayed that mission a few times, recorded it twice, watched in slow-mo, and paused frequently. Even though I didn't see a smidgen of the blade, maybe he timed it so well that the viewer is unable to see it no matter what. Might be the first time any wielder of a hidden blade has done that in the games...? Main point is they went back to two blades in ACS, but they're probably only seen using it in some of the main assassinations (?).

But just in case, I wasn't pointing it out to make fun of the devs or anything like that. For me it's one of those things I - and hopefully others as well - like to spot during certain cutscenes. Another example is if you go into certain cutscenes without a sword in the Ezio games, then watching Ezio threaten someone with an imaginary sword, then hearing the 'clang' of invisible swords (on other occasions the game will detect that you have no sword and give you a new one). The weapon in my example isn't a hidden blade, but it is something that sticks out for me in some cutscenes. Hopefully by pointing these things out, it doesn't give anyone the idea that I see them as fatal flaws, or that my goal is finding "mistakes". Rather I seem them as a funny, lighthearted tidbit or eggy. The designers put a lot of detail into each cutscenes: in the background, on the costumes, mo-cap all over the face/body, and other effects. So I hope it's normal to spot some of these thingies and not just me being meticulous.

LoyalACFan
08-03-2016, 07:15 AM
Personally, I hated the return to a single blade. Not only did it make no logical sense in-universe (like someone else pointed out, the French Assassins were freaking loaded, why so stingy with the blades?) but also because of that stupid double assassination animation. Arno stabs the one guy, but then he freaking SNAPS THE OTHER GUY'S NECK WITH ONE HAND. If he can just snap a dude's neck with a flick of his wrist, why have a hidden blade at all? Why not just put them both in a one-arm headlock and snap away? Not to diss on the quality of the animation itself; Unity was animated fantastically. It was just a weird and distracting design choice, made even more confusing by the fact that there actually is an air assassination animation where he seemingly stabs a guard with a blade on his right wrist, but they still needed the double assassination mechanic, so what were the animators to do?

IMO they should just have it in there as an option in the customization screen. Want two blades? Go for it. Want a single blade with the added challenge of not being able to perform double assassinations? Feel free. They removed the ability to fight with the hidden blade, so it's not like they would have needed to make a bunch of new animations for combat depending on whether you used one blade or two.