PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILER] What was the point of the Observatory in AC4?

CurlicuedStorm5
07-07-2014, 12:29 PM
If the all the Observatory does is enlarge the image that the skull projects then what is the point? At first I thought it was needed for the skull to work, but we see in the mission Tainted Blood that the skull works just fine without the Observatory, so what's the point? I must be missing something massive.

roostersrule2
07-07-2014, 12:39 PM
The observatory was just where the Skull was.

If it was at Macca's then Eddie would have been ordering Big Macs and fighting Templars at the same time.

CurlicuedStorm5
07-07-2014, 12:48 PM
The observatory was just where the Skull was.

If it was at Macca's then Eddie would have been ordering Big Macs and fighting Templars at the same time.

Then what was the point of the machine projector thingy? Do the Templars actually know what's in the Observatory, if so why are they still intent on finding it if Roberts took the skull from it already?

roostersrule2
07-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Then what was the point of the machine projector thingy? Do the Templars actually know what's in the Observatory, if so why are they still intent on finding it if Roberts took the skull from it already?As you said to enlarge it, and because it was a safe place to keep the Skull.

They didn't know Robert's had taken it, he made that point in the game.

Farlander1991
07-07-2014, 01:02 PM
The purpose of the Observatory is to keep the skull and also all the blood vials (which, btw, have disappeared somewhere after Templars entered the observatory, probably taken by them).

Templars knew that Roberts had the skull (Woodes Rogers said so when we 'assassinated' him). But the thing is, Templars have limited knowledge of how this whole Observatory thing works. Like, in the beginning, they thought that they need only the blood of the sage, but later they learned that they need the blood of every person they want to spy on. And since they didn't have access to the crystal skull, they didn't exactly know how it was used, not to mention what else could possibly be inside.

CurlicuedStorm5
07-07-2014, 01:10 PM
The purpose of the Observatory is to keep the skull and also all the blood vials (which, btw, have disappeared somewhere after Templars entered the observatory, probably taken by them).

Templars knew that Roberts had the skull (Woodes Rogers said so when we 'assassinated' him). But the thing is, Templars have limited knowledge of how this whole Observatory thing works. Like, in the beginning, they thought that they need only the blood of the sage, but later they learned that they need the blood of every person they want to spy on. And since they didn't have access to the crystal skull, they didn't exactly know how it was used, not to mention what else could possibly be inside.

I guess so... it just seems really weird to me for the whole focus of everyone is to get to the Observatory when the real item of value is the skull. Even the Assassin's were all about the Observatory. It would have made far more sense in my opinion if the skull only functioned when in the machine in the Observatory.

Farlander1991
07-07-2014, 01:14 PM
I guess so... it just seems really weird to me for the whole focus of everyone is to get to the Observatory when the real item of value is the skull. Even the Assassin's were all about the Observatory. It would have made far more sense in my opinion if the skull only functioned when in the machine in the Observatory.

Well, once again, limited information. It was all about the observatory only until we actually found it (there it became more about the skull, but again, limited amount of people know about that). Everybody needed the sage because he was the only one who knew where it is, how to get inside, and what was the real value in it. It's essentially like an Indiana Jones macguffin where all parties who are after the goal (the observatory) don't get all the information until later.

roostersrule2
07-07-2014, 01:17 PM
I guess so... it just seems really weird to me for the whole focus of everyone is to get to the Observatory when the real item of value is the skull. Even the Assassin's were all about the Observatory. It would have made far more sense in my opinion if the skull only functioned when in the machine in the Observatory.They did want the Skull and the Skull was at the Observatory.

Edward had no prior knowledge of the Skull though, so he was just looking for the Observatory.

CurlicuedStorm5
07-07-2014, 01:40 PM
I just started the mission after Tainted Blood in which Kenway says Torres doesn't know he has the skull which is why he is still after the Observatory which makes a bit more sense. I'm still a little confused as to why that machine is there why it literally just makes the image bigger. Also, is there a reason why when we first use the skull at the Observatory the view is in first person, yet in Tainted Blood it just shows an aerial view of the building the Torres impersonator is located at?

Farlander1991
07-07-2014, 01:45 PM
I just started the mission after Tainted Blood in which Kenway says Torres doesn't know he has the skull

Does he? I don't remember him saying that (though technically still would be true, as Torres would still think that the skull is in the possession of Roberts which they were trying to find)

Also, is there a reason why when we first use the skull at the Observatory the view is in first person, yet in Tainted Blood it just shows an aerial view of the building the Torres impersonator is located at?

Well, it's still first person, the Torres impersonator was looking at the building from a distance (and by the time we get there he got there too), it wasn't aerial, it was a side view. The thing is, visually it should be clear what's shown in the hologram, and with a small size the image should be simpler (for us as viewers) so it was just the building.

CurlicuedStorm5
07-07-2014, 01:59 PM
All fair points, apart from at the beginning of Ever a Splinter (the mission after Tainted Blood) Kenway says the only reason Torres is going to the Observatory is because he does not know that Kenway has the skull. Why doesn't he know? Has he not heard of Roberts' death? If not, why is he not after Roberts instead? Torres' associate Rogers heard Roberts was in Principe, why not go for him instead of the Observatory? And again, why the machine at the Observatory when all it does is make the image bigger. I do really like AC4, just have a few issues with the plot.

Farlander1991
07-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Ok, I just looked at the death speech with Rogers.

Edward: But I do understand. I've seen the Observatory, and I know its power. You'd use that device to spy and blackmail and sabotage.
Rogers: Yes, and yet all for a greater purpose. To ensure justice. To snuff out lies and to seek truth.
Edward: There's no man on Earth who needs that power.
Rogers: Yet you suffer the outlaw Roberts to use it!
Edward: No. I'm taking it back. And if you tell me where he is, I'll stop the man.

I think the 'it' in 'suffer to use it' and 'taking it back' implies power to use what's in the observatory rather than the device itself (i.e. they talk about Roberts having full access to the power behind the Observatory). There's no direct indication that Templars knew Roberts had the skull (or that the device is mobile).

pacmanate
07-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Yeah, definitely the power of the observatory. I thought that was obvious.

goob0t
07-07-2014, 03:33 PM
The Observatory housed and protected the skull, it housed those blood vials and also made the image large so a group could see it. They needed to get there because at first they didn't know it was mobile, and even so they still needed to get there in order to get the skull anyway.

Calvarok
07-07-2014, 03:35 PM
I thought it was a nice change from the TWCB facility being the most important TWCB thing in the story, as usually happens.

And I think it makes sense that the skull woud work separate from the observatory. it's not like it was plugged into aything, and they have plenty of technology that functions perfectly after thousands of years. as for the function, if you had a walkman and 500 CDs, all containing vital information many would want to steal, would you just carry that around with you? and it also serves as a command center for people to gather in when perusing the data the skull provides.

pacmanate
07-07-2014, 03:51 PM
If the observatory and skull don't appear in future AC's then it does mean that it was pointless as a plot point for AC4.

The Apple for AC1-AC3 was a plot point for both entrance to the Temple and also the satellite launch.

AC4's Observatory = We don't know what relevance this has for the modern day yet.

NondairyGold
07-07-2014, 03:51 PM
I thought it was a nice change from the TWCB facility being the most important TWCB thing in the story, as usually happens.

And I think it makes sense that the skull woud work separate from the observatory. it's not like it was plugged into aything, and they have plenty of technology that functions perfectly after thousands of years. as for the function, if you had a walkman and 500 CDs, all containing vital information many would want to steal, would you just carry that around with you? and it also serves as a command center for people to gather in when perusing the data the skull provides.

Couldn't have put it better myself :) Also going forward, I think we'll find that the most important thing about the Observatory we're the glass vials themselves. All that First Civ blood, waiting to be found.

JustPlainQuirky
07-08-2014, 05:38 AM
If the observatory and skull don't appear in future AC's then it does mean that it was pointless as a plot point for AC4.

The Apple for AC1-AC3 was a plot point for both entrance to the Temple and also the satellite launch.

AC4's Observatory = We don't know what relevance this has for the modern day yet.

Darby emphasized in an interview that templars were insisting people donate blood to them.

Blood. Blood vials. Observatory. Spying.

Ureh
07-08-2014, 05:45 AM
Maybe the Observatory was sorta like a battery charger. Every once in a while you gotta recharge the batteries. Maybe... :p

Also, like others have said the Observatory has a bigger display. Which one would you rather have? the 5 inch crt or the 50 inch lcd?

Jexx21
07-08-2014, 05:53 AM
22 inch lcd

NondairyGold
07-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Darby emphasized in an interview that templars were insisting people donate blood to them.

Blood. Blood vials. Observatory. Spying.

I wouldn't say that it's used for spying, more along the lines of building a DNA database. Today's technology makes it far easier to spy on someone, without the need for the Observatory.

Hans684
07-08-2014, 11:54 AM
The Observatory itself isn't really important, it's the Crystal Skull and Blood Vials. The MD Templars use the Crystal Skulls and Blood Vials to communicate without anyone being able to hack in an watch what they are discussing, a flaw our current security systems have. One way the the Crystal Skulls and Blood Vials is important, Initiates can't watch what they can't hack in too.

[Speculation: I'm curtain that Alan(CEO of Abstergo Industries) has one of his own, it can explain why Initiates hasn't shown any big name Templar and their plans/discussions because they are off the grid. /Specualtion]

Then we have the Blood Vials, now those things are really important since we have the Animus. Initiates gas shown that Abstergo Entertainment does have some Blood Vials, an Initiates spy smuggled one out. And if I remember correctly there is one Blood Vial in MD with the blood of a First Civ. member. Imagine reliving that, all the stuff Abstergo could have acces to by simple reliving those memories. We also know Abstergo uses the Blood Vials for people who donate blood to Abstergo Entertainment for their research and off course make a game of it after words. They just have clean a lot of "dirt" to make it "family friendly". Anyway that is how the got Adewale's memories, a descendant of him donated blood.

And not to mention the Sages connect to this, something that again connects to Juno. I do think that The Cult of Supreme Being is going to connect to this, maybe the founder was a Sage?

Layytez
07-08-2014, 01:09 PM
And don't forget reliving the First Civ isn't the only thing on Abstergos to do list. They want to decode their genome in order to unlock what they took away from humans.

Hans684
07-08-2014, 01:58 PM
And don't forget reliving the First Civ isn't the only thing on Abstergos to do list. They want to decode their genome in order to unlock what they took away from humans.

Indeed and they know that John from IT is a Sage.

Layytez
07-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Indeed and they know that John from IT is a Sage.
I hope they didn't just dispose of his body without noticing he looks like Roberts.

TheDanteEX
07-08-2014, 11:18 PM
It's best to remember that Black Flag was the story of Edward Kenway. The Observatory doesn't necessarily need a bigger importance than a goal for Eddie, the Assassins, and the Templars. In the Desmond games, every reveal was usually used to continue Desmond's story, but that doesn't need to happen anymore. I'm sure the Skull will have some relevance in the modern day, but I don't think in a large-scale way that might spring into mind.