PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Unity Interview

JCH33T-
07-06-2014, 03:03 PM
I came across an interview from E3 with someone from Ubisoft. I'm not sure if it's been posted before this, so I apologise if it has.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/01/assassins-creed-5-unity-video_n_5547406.html

LoyalACFan
07-07-2014, 05:36 AM
Interesting... That's the first time I've heard mention of the Marquis de Sade and the Scarlet Pimpernel. I'm confused though, I thought the Scarlet Pimpernel was an entirely fictional character made long after the fact?

Calvarok
07-07-2014, 06:42 AM
all I see in that link is a round up of ubisoft's videos and a link to another site's preview, none of which mentions a scarlet anything. what are you folks seeing that I'm not?

Xstantin
07-07-2014, 07:06 AM
It's the first video on top. One of the developers, Nicolas Guerin, talks about some historical research they did for the backdrop and characters for ACU. Scarlet Pimpernel is a fictional character who smuggled nobles during the Reign of Terror. They know about this character and will likely use him or some elements from the novel in a sidequest.

roostersrule2
07-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Interesting... That's the first time I've heard mention of the Marquis de Sade and the Scarlet Pimpernel. I'm confused though, I thought the Scarlet Pimpernel was an entirely fictional character made long after the fact?She might be but it's not as if all AC's characters have to be real, hell a lot of AC's lore is based on half-truths, theories and legends.

m4r-k7
07-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Wow he said it has been in development for 4 years. I love the game so far but they keep on saying how improved the AI are but in the gameplay demo's the citizens are glitchy and they sometimes block Arno from walking through a crowd. You would think that this long amount of time would have enabled them to fix the AI's problems (especially the problem of them having spaz attacks when they die)
Thats really only my main complaint so far at the game.

roostersrule2
07-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Wow he said it has been in development for 4 years. I love the game so far but they keep on saying how improved the AI are but in the gameplay demo's the citizens are glitchy and they sometimes block Arno from walking through a crowd. You would think that this long amount of time would have enabled them to fix the AI's problems (especially the problem of them having spaz attacks when they die)
Thats really only my main complaint so far at the game.Bug fixing is the last thing they do, they will probably start doing it now really.

However the demo wasn't actually part of them game it was what they want the game to be like. So any problems in the demo should be addressed come October.

m4r-k7
07-07-2014, 01:08 PM
Bug fixing is the last thing they do, they will probably start doing it now really.

However the demo wasn't actually part of them game it was what they want the game to be like. So any problems in the demo should be addressed come October.

Im not sure man. In one of the AC 3 videos before it released, there were some AI glitches and that made it into the real game. Same with AC 4 - the enemies had spaz attacks when they died. Also its really weird why they didn't implement the AC 1 "gentle push" button for Arno when he is walking through crowds as it literally looked so weird in the demo's when he was walking and the AI were almost blocking him from moving which made the guy resort to running. I hope you are right however.

roostersrule2
07-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Im not sure man. In one of the AC 3 videos before it released, there were some AI glitches and that made it into the real game. Same with AC 4 - the enemies had spaz attacks when they died. Also its really weird why they didn't implement the AC 1 "gentle push" button for Arno when he is walking through crowds as it literally looked so weird in the demo's when he was walking and the AI were almost blocking him from moving which made the guy resort to running. I hope you are right however.There are going to be glitches in every game and little ones like this are hardly game breaking.

I think in the game that you'll be able to walk through crowd easily, it'll be like having the gentle push button without actually having a button.

m4r-k7
07-07-2014, 01:13 PM
There are going to be glitches in every game and little ones like this are hardly game breaking.

I think in the game that you'll be able to walk through crowd easily, it'll be like having the gentle push button without actually having a button.

Yes but what I am saying is that this new Anvil Next Engine has had the same glitches since AC 3 and due to them having long development periods, its astonishing to see that they are not fixed. Whilst they are not game breaking, they definitely break the immersion.

roostersrule2
07-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Yes but what I am saying is that this new Anvil Next Engine has had the same glitches since AC 3 and due to them having long development periods, its astonishing to see that they are not fixed. Whilst they are not game breaking, they definitely break the immersion.Well no game since AC3 has had a long dev time.

AC3's development seemed like chaos so bugs came in, AC4 had a relativity short dev time so bugs were in and ACU is not done yet so bugs are there.

I'm positive ACU will be very polished, as it's dev time is longer then any game since AC1.

m4r-k7
07-07-2014, 01:27 PM
I think the problem is that they use so many studio's to develop the game and so it gets harder to fix the bugs and communication is lower.

marvelfannumber
07-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Well the problem with bugs (especially in sandbox games) is that if you manage to fix a bug, you're gonna create 5 new ones (some which may be minor, some which may be worse than the one you fixed).

So I really have no issue with bugs in sandbox games as long as they don't break the game, really don't get why people excpect sandbox games to be super polished these days.

However yeah, the AI (especially for guards since that AI matters the most) definetly needs improvement, especially with the focus on stealth, and in the demos I am not seeing that much of an improvement unfortunatly.

m4r-k7
07-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Yeah I usually don't care for little bugs but there has always been problems with the AI and so I was really hoping that the longer development time would have allowed them to fix these stupid problems. I may be wrong however and will keep optimistic!

marvelfannumber
07-07-2014, 01:44 PM
I may be wrong however and will keep optimistic!

Don't try to be super optimistic btw, judging by how people judged AC3 when it came out, I would be more cautiously optimistic. Hype can be a double edged sword when it comes to basically anything.

m4r-k7
07-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Don't try to be super optimistic btw, judging by how people judged AC3 when it came out, I would be more cautiously optimistic. Hype can be a double edged sword when it comes to basically anything.

That is true actually. I was really not optimistic for AC 4 before it came out and was super negative about it. Then I played it and it was one of my favourite AC games. Maybe I should just expect the game to be crap so I won't be underwhelmed xD

roostersrule2
07-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Usually the games you know nothing about are the best.

SixKeys
07-07-2014, 02:18 PM

Usually my first impressions about a game's previews (demos, trailers etc.) are a fairly accurate indication of how much I will end up liking it. I was more hyped for ACB than any game before or since, and it ended up living up to all my expectations. Conversely, I tried to get hyped for AC3, but the previews never quite convinced me that it was something for me.

I'm cautiously optimistic for Unity, but a few things I've heard about it have already disappointed me, so I'm not going to convince myself it's going to be GOTY just yet.

pacmanate
07-07-2014, 02:20 PM
She might be but it's not as if all AC's characters have to be real, hell a lot of AC's lore is based on half-truths, theories and legends.

Like that headless horseman in AC3 or the massive shark in BF4.

SixKeys
07-07-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure I like the idea of having characters we KNOW are fictional in the AC universe. It's okay when it's ambiguous, but before you know it, we're gonna have Sherlock Holmes fighting crime with the assassins.

pacmanate
07-07-2014, 02:45 PM
She might be but it's not as if all AC's characters have to be real, hell a lot of AC's lore is based on half-truths, theories and legends.

I'm not sure I like the idea of having characters we KNOW are fictional in the AC universe. It's okay when it's ambiguous, but before you know it, we're gonna have Sherlock Holmes fighting crime with the assassins.

Yeah its a bit dumb. Doesn't make sense with the whole "History is our playground" thing. I can deal with easter egg things, it is a game. But anything that is integrated into the plot is a no.

Gin0r
07-07-2014, 02:46 PM

I have to admit, that sounds kinda awesome, lore breaking as it might be... However, if we ever get our Victorian London AC the devs will HAVE to include Spring Heeled Jack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Heeled_Jack) who isn’t a purely fictional character, more of an urban legend.

I can’t watch the video right now so I have to ask: Did he talk about actually using Scarlet Pimpernel as a character or does he just mention that they looked at the novels for inspiration? The latter would make much more sense.

Calvarok
07-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Interesting... That's the first time I've heard mention of the Marquis de Sade and the Scarlet Pimpernel. I'm confused though, I thought the Scarlet Pimpernel was an entirely fictional character made long after the fact?
every single one of the videos on the page is a promotional video by ubisoft. are you looking at a different one than I am? http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/01/assassins-creed-5-unity-video_n_5547406.html

Also, if there's a fictional character in there, clearly it's meant to be a person who inspired the stories. which is kinda eh, but less on the nose than Ezio inspiring "The Prince" in Brotherhood.

some of you are taking this a bit too seriously considering this is a series with Ancient Aliens/Beings and a completely fictional pirate who is supposedly one of the most infamous. In fact, the whole idea of "and that's where x person got the idea for x" or "and that's how this urban legend started" or "and this conspiracy theory that is totally crazy is actually true" happens ALL the time in AC games.

JCH33T-
07-07-2014, 04:23 PM
every single one of the videos on the page is a promotional video by ubisoft. are you looking at a different one than I am? http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/01/assassins-creed-5-unity-video_n_5547406.html

It is the very first video before all the gameplay videos that most have seen already :)

Calvarok
07-07-2014, 05:01 PM
I really don't know what's wrong on my end, then, because the very first video on the page is the commented SP demo.

is there a direct link to the video somewhere?

JCH33T-
07-08-2014, 11:22 AM
I really don't know what's wrong on my end, then, because the very first video on the page is the commented SP demo.

I don't think so, i just found it on that website

JCH33T-
07-08-2014, 11:46 AM

I found it on YouTube :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTDNH26c6bk

VoXngola
07-08-2014, 11:49 AM

I'm having the exact same problem, really don't know what people see there.

I guess it's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTDNH26c6bk

Jexx21
07-08-2014, 01:13 PM
why would they use a screenshot from Brotherhood?

marvelfannumber
07-08-2014, 01:43 PM
why would they use a screenshot from Brotherhood?
For some reason a few months ago if you searched for Unity that picture would show up. I assume it was from an article about the very first leaks. So I guess a lot of lazy people looking for thumbnails just search for Unity and use that picture because it was one of the first to show up