PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft VP on digital games, DLC, and the free-to-play model

FrozenWaterfall
07-06-2014, 03:34 AM
Not sure what to think of some of what he says. It does explain Ubisoft's choice for the F2P model used for Frontier. Thoughts?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-03-gamer-resistance-to-digital-decreasing-ubisoft

eflixxx
07-06-2014, 09:44 AM
i didnt see one argument for it in there.. only 'nobody is complaining, so it must be ok' (which is widely false) and referencing dudes spending tens of thousands of dollars as good excamples of this model is utter crap.

Mandrake2007
07-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately if people will throw money at them they will continue to milk it.

I haven't put a penny into Frontier but I would have gladly paid for a different version of the game without all the barriers. I realised early enough what ANBA was about and I worked out methods which effectively keep him open as a source of coins, gems and parts. I would estimate that I've had around 3 million coins and 300 gems out of him since completing the game. This has allowed me to keep upgrading the bikes at a steady pace and provides me with decent amounts of game time due to +1 tank refills. At some point soon I will draw a line through my grinding and get myself to where I belong on the leaderboards. I may not have put any money in but I have devoted far too much time for a mobile game.

Where Frontier is let down by this F2P model is those players who bombed through it setting all the best times and climbing the leaderboards. They essentially closed off the free time consuming side of the game. They can't use ANBA for coins, gems and parts because they can't get any better. If they could afford some upgrades then maybe they'd have a chance but they can't get coins because ANBA is the only really effective coin revenue. Of course they can always hand over their hard earned cash! These guys are playing Trials the way Trials is meant to be played but they are the ones most affected by the shortcomings of the F2P model.

I've never played another F2P game and I can't say I've wholly enjoyed the experience. If it wasn't Trials I wouldn't be playing it but after the disappointing Fusion and this F2P grinding marathon I'm not sure my enthusiasm for the franchise will keep that relevant for much longer.

xzamplez
07-06-2014, 01:25 PM
To summarize the article:

We are going to be as greedy as our customers allow us to be. Their money means everything, and their voices mean nothing.

Somebody has posted this on Reddit. I was happy to see all of the comparisons to EA, who is the most hated game developer in the industry.

xitooner
07-06-2014, 10:08 PM
i didnt see one argument for it in there.. only 'nobody is complaining, so it must be ok' (which is widely false) and referencing dudes spending tens of thousands of dollars as good excamples of this model is utter crap.

That was pretty much my take on it as well. My favorite part:

"I know people who've spent five digits or more of money in Clash of Clans, spending in the tens of thousands of dollars," Early said. "Who would think of that? But nobody's really angry about that. That's how that guy chooses to play, and he's playing against other people of the same calibre, whether they got there through spending hundreds of hours playing the game or tens of thousands of dollars. Good design, that's what it comes down to."

Love the spin. As long as you dont give them a significant advantage for their money (more than you can get with hundreds of hours of grinding) then its not simply OKAY to take thousands of dollars to feed his obsession...its GOOD DESIGN. And since nobody really knows how much other people spend. . .whose gonna get angry? Only the few who see the bigger picture, and we can safely ignore those. . . .

Kinda sad....but as history shows. people can justify almost anything when things are said just right . . .

FrozenWaterfall
07-08-2014, 05:41 PM
There are a couple of good points. He does say he wants to ensure games are still playable despite microtransactions. EA basically said they'd charge what they want and people will pay. So not as bad as EA, yet. He also says Ubisoft will be focusing on digital gaming (as everyone is). So hopefully Uplay will begin to be a competitive service.

The general air of the interview is pretty bad. Ubisoft are focused on making money using whatever medium is popular at the time, rather than branch out and try to do something different. As they are one of the biggest names in the industry, it only means other companies will be forced to follow suit or be left behind. It's a sad time for gaming. Hopefully some alternatives arise soon, as it's progressively looking worse each year for fans.