PDA

View Full Version : My Assassins Creed III and IV review.

SCHNITZELNAZY
07-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Hi,i played most AC titles(on PC/PS3),exept the first game and Liberation,and,all over the internet i see that people really think that AC III sucks,well at least most of them,but is it realy like that?

This can also be named a "Comparison" :)

This has some mild storyline spoilers,but nothing too bad.

STORYLINE

AC III

Well ,i personally think AC III had a really good story,especially a nice start to begin with,but hey guys,we all know we want to get in Connor`s Assassin robes and kick some Templar arse.
Anyways,the story in this game is pretty good,the characters are also not bad either.Especially the real ones.
One of my favourite here are the "historical" missions,such as the Tea Party,Midinight Ride,and the Bluecoats vs Redcoats battles.
You should have seen the look on my face when i found out Haytham was a templar,and then he betrayed the mother of his son and her people,which really brings some emotions.
I do not have the Tyranny of King Washington trilogy yet,but i may get it too.
The Storyline is quite fine in lenghth,without the DLC,that is.And i especially like the ending,where Connor finally revenges to Charles Lee,after he was running after him in the harbour-i have to admit though thats a really difficult obstacle course.
As there is only mainland,you really have no problem getting the storyline to the end,unlike in AC IV.

8/10

AC IV

I still have not finished the AC IV story,and i have started playing in november when it came out.
Why?
Well even though there is fast travel,its annoying to travel by boat after each mission to a location on the other side to the map,so that makes it so much slower to me,making me want to play less,like SHADDDAP BLACKBEARD,I GOT BOARS TO HUNT,RUM TO DRINK AND HOES TO KILL.

Gosh that part about Hoes sounds a bit like GTA.
Anyways,

The start is quite odd,really,it shows that Ed has bad morale,and not just kills the Assassin,but also steals his clothes :mad:
When getting to the Assassin island ,after killing that poor dude,i was surprised he did not kill them all.
But seriously guys,lets admit it,the only thing it has to do about Assassins Creed is fighting againts templars,its not like you see assassins a lot throughout the game,on the other side the map is full of redcoat and yellowcoat bastards,and i really enjoy destroying their forts,convoys and legendary ships.

For now- 7/10

FIGHTING

Well,both games are quite similar,but i thing AC IV is more difficult,i really like the soldier variations,they are the same in both games-the musketeer (which shoots you from a distance but is weak as ****ing **** when you come near him),the headbutter (everyone hates this guy),the Officer (same as the headbutter but also has a gun) and the "Poor guy we Air-Assassinate".
What i like about BF but not about III is the number of ammo we can carry in our pouch-in BF you can carry 20 bullets (cartridges) and also a large number (10?) of darts and bombs.
In III however you only have 8 bullets,8 arrows,3 bombs,5 rope darts---THE BEST WEAPON EVER,and 5 other darts (i think),

AC 3- 7/10
AC 4- 8.5/10

HUNTING

To me atleast,one of the most important aspects in both games,also,this is why i bought RDR and FC3 too.
You are more involved in AC 3,where you can use bait and snares too,along with the normal weps,and that is i guess because the area was full of hunters back in the day.
And the reason why i liked hunting is the Frontier,yes-one place to hunt all animals.Plus the areas where lots of Wolves,Bears,Beavers and Cougars spawn too.
Could have used some more animals.

9.8/10

AC IV had great potential here,and i really like the animals you can hunt,but they are missing a frontier,hell no i do not want to travel by ship to hunt a different animal on each island.For Cuba,being the largest island,they should have made a large frontier where you could hunt all land animals in one place (but could also hunt in other islands),and this is just one more thing i dont like about BF.
Harpooning-a great addition really,and i really cannot say anything bad about it,its all i expected.

6/10

LOCATIONS

In AC 3,i really love both Boston and the Frontier,with Boston i really love the colonial feeling,especailly the main harbour,ah it reminds me of Titanic before the ships goes to America.
New York was boring,like a village actually,and it could have been much better.

Overall 9/10

I really love the AC 4 locations,Havana and Cape Bonavista easily being my favourite.
Why the above?
Well,Havana is the only city that has no wooden cottages,and you get a feeling of nostalgia,as it is somewhat similar to AC 2 or Revelations.
Cape Bonavista cause it really is creatively made,and no other island that i have visited is not as nice as this one is,and as i said,they had a lot of potential,but i simply dont like Kingston or Nassau very much,they look pretty much like villages when comparing to Havana,or even to Boston.

8/10,had potential but did not fully use it.

REPLAYABILITY

Quite good in both games,in AC 3 you can hunt,do side missions,search for feathers,there are naval contracts,you can also explore,as in every similar game.

8/10

AC 4,even better,with everything mentioned above,you can destroy enemy forts,rob enemy convoys and ships,rob warehouses and simply so much more.

9.5/10

This is my first review so it is not that good,yes,i could make more paragraphs,like for navy and characters,but i do not think it was necesary,as AC IIIs navy is only a small thing on the side,while in AC 4 it is one of the main things in the game.
As for characters,all of them in both games are ok,somewhat.
Only if Ed was acting less like a pirate,and Connor was a bit happier,but i understand him,seeing his mother dying in front of his eyes.

Tenvern
07-05-2014, 05:27 PM
You say you are not going to have any major spoilers yet you talk about the ending of AC3.
Not like it matters much I imagine everyone here has finished it, but don't say one thing then do the other.

Also, you clearly weren't interested in Black Flag if you picked it up at release and still haven't finished it.
While It's interesting to hear the opinion of people who didn't finish a game, they're not educated enough on the game most of the time to do a "review".
Especially when you claim AC4 highly replayable yet you haven't even finished it once.

Just my opinion on your opinions.

Hans684
07-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Angry Joe.

Assassin_M
07-05-2014, 05:38 PM
AC III's story is what sold it for me, AC IV's gameplay and side missions are what sold it for me, I prefer each game for different reasons. They're my second fave and fave respectively.

Megas_Doux
07-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Story?

AC III

Gameplay????

ACIV

GunnerGalactico
07-05-2014, 08:14 PM
AC3- I enjoyed the story and gameplay.

AC4- I really enjoyed the side missions and the MD bits, and I enjoyed the gameplay as well.

Like M has stated, I enjoyed all AC games for different reasons. They hit all the different notes for me.

Jackburns14
07-05-2014, 08:25 PM
To me, Assassin's Creed IV did not feel like an assassin's creed game. Instead of a great story involving Templars and assassins I got a game about some guy who wanted a lot of money (that was his whole story until about sequence 11). At the point when the assassins "train" him( which I guess just involves giving him a rope dart) it starts to feel like an assassins creed game. everything before though felt like a pirate game. A lot of people criticize the whole animus aspect of this game but personally I really liked it. The gameplay in ACIV was probably the highlight of the game for me. I liked the naval combat but I felt it was to important to the game but, the combat and parkour where probably the most refined of any assassins creed so far, and I did like the characters. Multiplayer, as always, just feels annoying in ACIV. I feel like I should get a kill and instead I get stunned, Honorable death seems like more of a slap in the face than just dying, and the lack of some sort of PvP naval combat absolutely boggles my mind ( think of how fun that would be).
But I did think that the Multiplayer experience was the best in this game as opposed to all other assassins creed games so far. The dlc in this game was absolutely useless. I remember ACII when you actually got something new for your money. I loved Bonfire of the Vanities and The Siege of Forli (I think I got that right). They were new experiences and added something to the game. All I got for dlc in ACIV was a couple new characters that I didn't even fully unlock. And as for ACIII's dlc. The King Washington dlc's were annoying but at least they added a new experience to the game. I have faith in Ubisoft to give us a well made dlc in AC Unity ( since multiplayer is gone). Overall though, ACIV wasn't the worst game I've ever played but, it certainly wasn't the best. Id have to give it a 6/10.

Assassin_M
07-05-2014, 08:36 PM
To me, Assassin's Creed IV did not feel like an assassin's creed game. Instead of a great story involving Templars and assassins I got a game about some guy who wanted a lot of money (that was his whole story until about sequence 11)
Yeah, so like AC II...instead of a great story involving Assassins and Templars, we got a game about some guy who only wanted revenge (that was his whole story until sequence 11)

Wolfmeister1010
07-05-2014, 08:39 PM
AC4 was a great game that had an amazing open world. AC3's gameplay wasn't as polished but it has a better story. Now, perhaps Unity can combine the two.

Ureh
07-05-2014, 08:57 PM
FIGHTING

Well,both games are quite similar,but i thing AC IV is more difficult,i really like the soldier variations,they are the same in both games-the musketeer (which shoots you from a distance but is weak as ****ing **** when you come near him),the headbutter (everyone hates this guy),the Officer (same as the headbutter but also has a gun) and the "Poor guy we Air-Assassinate".
What i like about BF but not about III is the number of ammo we can carry in our pouch-in BF you can carry 20 bullets (cartridges) and also a large number (10?) of darts and bombs.
In III however you only have 8 bullets,8 arrows,3 bombs,5 rope darts---THE BEST WEAPON EVER,and 5 other darts (i think),

AC 3- 7/10
AC 4- 8.5/10

Welcome to the forums! :)

With proper crafting, Connor can carry up to 25 bullets, 12 arrows, 4 mines, 4 smoke bombs... but yes, only a maximum of 5 rope darts. However, AC3 does have a very very convenient way of restocking all of your consumable tools by simply approaching any horse and pressing the "interact/counter" button. But you do need to craft the large saddle bags first.

JustPlainQuirky
07-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Story?

AC III

Gameplay????

ACIV

This.

AC3's story was so investing. But ACIV's gameplay was hella fun.

Jackburns14
07-05-2014, 09:40 PM
AC III's story is what sold it for me, AC IV's gameplay and side missions are what sold it for me, I prefer each game for different reasons. They're my second fave and fave respectively.

ObservatorYes you are right. However Ezio felt like an assassin, even if he was after revenge. All along the way he had people training him and telling him about the Assassins VS Templar struggle, so you really felt like it was all important. in ACIV nothing really felt important to the overall story except for the y missions. all i'm saying is that, if you want to know the overall assassin's creed storyline, this game isn't as important as the others.

Whoops meant to reply to another of your comments.

Jackburns14
07-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Yeah, so like AC II...instead of a great story involving Assassins and Templars, we got a game about some guy who only wanted revenge (that was his whole story until sequence 11)

Yes you are right. However Ezio felt like an assassin, even if he was after revenge. All along the way he had people training him and telling him about the Assassins VS Templar struggle, so you really felt like it was all important. in ACIV nothing really felt important to the overall story except for the Observatory missions. all i'm saying is that, if you want to know the overall assassin's creed storyline, this game isn't as important as the others.

Assassin_M
07-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Yes you are right. However Ezio felt like an assassin, even if he was after revenge. All along the way he had people training him and telling him about the Assassins VS Templar struggle, so you really felt like it was all important. in ACIV nothing really felt important to the overall story except for the Observatory missions. all i'm saying is that, if you want to know the overall assassin's creed storyline, this game isn't as important as the others.
the only one who told Ezio about the struggle was Mario and he disappears after sequence 4, so you don't hear ANYTHING about Templars and Assassin from sequence 4 till sequence 11. It just conveniently turns out that everyone Ezio met during his journey was an Assassin.

Edward got embroiled in the struggle from sequence 1 by falling in with the Templars, we hear them talk about their goals, their plans and their fight with the Assassins, then the story shifts in sequence 3 and it focuses on the pirate aspect then in sequence 4, we meet Mary and she introduced us to the Assassins. The Assassin side now gets to talk about their goals, plans, philosophies and their fight with the Templars, then in sequence 5 we get involved in the Templar-Assassin fight directly.
After that, there's a break again in terms of Assassin and Templars BUT we have 2 elements that keep the struggle alive, Mary and the Master assassin missions. Mary constantly talks to Edward about joining them and that the world is not just about riches and the Master assassin missions put us directly in the conflict between the 2 factions itself.
Finally, sequences 9, 11, 12 and 13 are all about the Assassins and Templars.

So yeah, I don't see how Ezio felt more of an Assassin while Edward did not, even though AC IV has more about the conflict than AC II ever did. AC IV actually talks more about the philosophies of the Templars and the Assassins and discusses the Creeds of both more than AC II ever did.

GreySkellig
07-05-2014, 10:40 PM
I am not going to get into all the little details I'd dispute here--I'll just say this:

OP lost me when he constantly lamented being forced to sail around the open world of ACIV. That was easily the most popular, successful and critically acclaimed element of the title.

Jackburns14
07-05-2014, 11:59 PM
the only one who told Ezio about the struggle was Mario and he disappears after sequence 4, so you don't hear ANYTHING about Templars and Assassin from sequence 4 till sequence 11. It just conveniently turns out that everyone Ezio met during his journey was an Assassin.

Edward got embroiled in the struggle from sequence 1 by falling in with the Templars, we hear them talk about their goals, their plans and their fight with the Assassins, then the story shifts in sequence 3 and it focuses on the pirate aspect then in sequence 4, we meet Mary and she introduced us to the Assassins. The Assassin side now gets to talk about their goals, plans, philosophies and their fight with the Templars, then in sequence 5 we get involved in the Templar-Assassin fight directly.
After that, there's a break again in terms of Assassin and Templars BUT we have 2 elements that keep the struggle alive, Mary and the Master assassin missions. Mary constantly talks to Edward about joining them and that the world is not just about riches and the Master assassin missions put us directly in the conflict between the 2 factions itself.
Finally, sequences 9, 11, 12 and 13 are all about the Assassins and Templars.

So yeah, I don't see how Ezio felt more of an Assassin while Edward did not, even though AC IV has more about the conflict than AC II ever did. AC IV actually talks more about the philosophies of the Templars and the Assassins and discusses the Creeds of both more than AC II ever did.

Still I did not feel like an assassin In AC IV, If you disagree then that is fine. Edward felt like a greedy pirate who wanted fame and fortune IMO. Ezio was a man looking for revenge. But the key difference is that Edward didn't really have anything to do with the assassin's aside form sequence 11 and the previous times they had met. While Ezio was guided by the assassins since he met Mario. From what you've said previously I can tell you really liked ACIV. That's great, but I didn't. I'm just voicing my opinion about the game. I'm not necessarily saying that it was a bad game but I didn't feel like an assassin like I did in the previous ones. Also we had ezio for 3 whole games and Edward for one. Assassin's creed II in terms of Character isn't as strong as Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. I like to rank the games like this.

1. Assassin's Creed II - it is the most important story wise. It sets up the Assassin VS Templar conflict and tells you a lot about the universe.

2. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - This one is my favorite. The story isn't as strong as most of the others but Ezio really shines in this one.

3. AC Revelations - I like this game because it finishes the story of Ezio and Altair. Gameplay wise it was also great.

4. AC III - I liked seeing the story from both Haytham's point of view and Connor's

5. AC IV - This is at 5 because it was the least fun to me. Although it did make up for it with very interesting supporting characters and Fun gameplay.

6. AC - Very repetitive and very weak story wise. I did love altair though.

Assassin_M
07-06-2014, 12:13 AM
Still I did not feel like an assassin In AC IV, If you disagree then that is fine. Edward felt like a greedy pirate who wanted fame and fortune IMO. Ezio was a man looking for revenge. But the key difference is that Edward didn't really have anything to do with the assassin's aside form sequence 11 and the previous times they had met. While Ezio was guided by the assassins since he met Mario. From what you've said previously I can tell you really liked ACIV. That's great, but I didn't. I'm just voicing my opinion about the game. I'm not necessarily saying that it was a bad game but I didn't feel like an assassin like I did in the previous ones. Also we had ezio for 3 whole games and Edward for one. Assassin's creed II in terms of Character isn't as strong as Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. I like to rank the games like this.
It's not that i JUST disagree, I just don't see the logic...you explain why Edward did not feel like assassin while Ezio did with reasons that are banal imo and say that AC II had things that AC IV did not have in terms of making you feel like an Assassin and those things are actually either wrong or AC IV had them more. It's okay to voice your opinion but you should also be ready to face arguments against your opinion, that's what a forum is about--debate and discussion.

Edward was guided by the Assassins too, Mary guided him to the Master Assassins to protect them from Templars, she told him more about eagle vision, she told him about the contracts, she guided him in finding the Sage and she was the last straw that made him decide to join the Assassins. I can play the oversimplification card too and say that Ezio had nothing to do with the Assassins until sequence 11 and the times he met Mario before that--in AC IV--you actually knew who was an Assassin, in AC II, it was just conveniently said that everyone you met was an Assassin...the 5 minute cutscene were it told you that everyone was an Assassin was what helped you feel like one?? I also don't see how having Ezio in more than one game helped you feel like an Assassin in AC II.

AC IV is my favorite AC, yes but not because of the story at all, my favorite stories are AC III and AC I followed by ACR and then comes AC IV.

and no, AC I set up the Assassin-Templar story and not AC II.

Jackburns14
07-06-2014, 12:37 AM
It's not that i JUST disagree, I just don't see the logic...you explain why Edward did not feel like assassin while Ezio did with reasons that are banal imo and say that AC II had things that AC IV did not have in terms of making you feel like an Assassin and those things are actually either wrong or AC IV had them more. It's okay to voice your opinion but you should also be ready to face arguments against your opinion, that's what a forum is about--debate and discussion.

Edward was guided by the Assassins too, Mary guided him to the Master Assassins to protect them from Templars, she told him more about eagle vision, she told him about the contracts, she guided him in finding the Sage and she was the last straw that made him decide to join the Assassins. I can play the oversimplification card too and say that Ezio had nothing to do with the Assassins until sequence 11 and the times he met Mario before that--in AC IV--you actually knew who was an Assassin, in AC II, it was just conveniently said that everyone you met was an Assassin...the 5 minute cutscene were it told you that everyone was an Assassin was what helped you feel like one?? I also don't see how having Ezio in more than one game helped you feel like an Assassin in AC II.

AC IV is my favorite AC, yes but not because of the story at all, my favorite stories are AC III and AC I followed by ACR and then comes AC IV.

and no, AC I set up the Assassin-Templar story and not AC II.

Yeah but Edward didn't feel like an assassin. I don't know why exactly, he just did. also I didn't bring up AC II. You did. I never said specifically that ezio was a better assassin. I was just mentioning that I liked him more because he felt more like an assassin. the cut scene where all of them where revealed to be assassin's had no effect on how I felt about Ezio. I wasn't a fan of Ezio until Brotherhood ( as I said before). Assassin's Creed II was my favorite because it was the most informative of all the games IMO. The glyphs told me a lot about the rest of the assassin's creed universe. Also, I like to 100% the assassins creed games on XBOX to get all of the achievements and get the full experience. I just felt like I had more freedom in ACII. In games after that you had to complete these objectives in order to complete a mission with 100% synchronization which I felt limited my freedom. I suppose that is why I feel that Ezio felt more like an assassin in ACII. ACU is supposed to get rid of the 100% synchronization objectives in the missions so I will likely say that Arno feels more like an assassin than all of them.

Megas_Doux
07-06-2014, 01:09 AM
Ezio officially joined the Assassin Order in 1488, he was 29 years old, sequence 11! That means 80% of the game was about a man avenging his family, killing templars not because the threat they pose to freedom, but out of his need for vengeance,not that I blame him,though.

Assassin_M
07-06-2014, 01:18 AM
Yeah but Edward didn't feel like an assassin. I don't know why exactly, he just did.
Okay so you're saying that Ezio felt more like an Assassin in AC II just because? okay fine by me..

I never said specifically that ezio was a better assassin. I was just mentioning that I liked him more because he felt more like an assassin. the cut scene where all of them where revealed to be assassin's had no effect on how I felt about Ezio. I wasn't a fan of Ezio until Brotherhood ( as I said before).
I never said that you said that, I was asking how you didn't feel like Assassin because Edward only joined them in sequence 11 even though Ezio's arc in AC II had the same exact thing but you felt more like an Assassin with him. I didn't talk about Brotherhood.

I just felt like I had more freedom in ACII. In games after that you had to complete these objectives in order to complete a mission with 100% synchronization which I felt limited my freedom. I suppose that is why I feel that Ezio felt more like an assassin in ACII. ACU is supposed to get rid of the 100% synchronization objectives in the missions so I will likely say that Arno feels more like an assassin than all of them.
How does 100% sync dictate how you feel in regards to being an Assassin? and even then, didn't you say that you liked Ezio in ACB because you felt like an Assassin? ACB is the game that introduced the whole 100% sync thing, so how come? oh and 100% sync returns in Unity

Jackburns14
07-06-2014, 01:49 AM
Okay so you're saying that Ezio felt more like an Assassin in AC II just because? okay fine by me..

I never said that you said that, I was asking how you didn't feel like Assassin because Edward only joined them in sequence 11 even though Ezio's arc in AC II had the same exact thing but you felt more like an Assassin with him. I didn't talk about Brotherhood.

How does 100% sync dictate how you feel in regards to being an Assassin? and even then, didn't you say that you liked Ezio in ACB because you felt like an Assassin? ACB is the game that introduced the whole 100% sync thing, so how come? oh and 100% sync returns in Unity

100% sync just feels like it restricts you as a player. I could complete a mission however I wanted, but in order to complete the game you must do it that way. I liked Ezio in assassin's creed brotherhood because I felt like he really developed as a character and became fully involved with the assassins. like I said 100% sync ruins the experience for me, in terms of freedom. AC II and, to a lesser extent AC I had me feeling like I could complete a mission however I wanted. but it isn't that way in the games after ACII. That's what I mean. Edward and Ezio have similar story structures in ACII and ACIV but, ACII allows for more freedom. I realize that that sounds strange. In ACIV Edward had a lot more customization ( which I loved) and he had a much larger place to explore but, when it came to missions, he wasn't as free or, I wasn't as free. Do you understand? I got a stronger sense of Badass when the action was from my mind. I felt like I was Ezio and like I was the Assassin. It was different after that. Like the game wants me to do things a certain way. I don't know if that makes sense. It isn't so much about the lack of guidance by assassin's but more of a lack of freedom. Mario (in ACII) taught you about the Assassin's and then you did what you wanted on your own. In ACIV Edward was guided by Either Mary or Blackbeard with a few other characters as well but they watched him the whole way. In ACII Ezio was taught some stuff then they let him go. Whereas in ACIV the whole game felt like a long tutorial to some extent. I had the same problem with ACIII. I hope that clears up my reasoning behind my opinion. :)

ze_topazio
07-06-2014, 02:27 AM
I came here expecting, after 3 pages, people arguing about Ezio instead, I was not disappointed.

Ezio > Your favorite Assassin.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/14t9cv4.jpg

Jexx21
07-06-2014, 02:53 AM
like I said 100% sync ruins the experience for me, in terms of freedom. AC II and, to a lesser extent AC I had me feeling like I could complete a mission however I wanted.
lolwut

Fatal-Feit
07-06-2014, 07:06 AM
100% sync just feels like it restricts you as a player. I could complete a mission however I wanted, but in order to complete the game you must do it that way. I liked Ezio in assassin's creed brotherhood because I felt like he really developed as a character and became fully involved with the assassins. like I said 100% sync ruins the experience for me, in terms of freedom. AC II and, to a lesser extent AC I had me feeling like I could complete a mission however I wanted. but it isn't that way in the games after ACII. That's what I mean. Edward and Ezio have similar story structures in ACII and ACIV but, ACII allows for more freedom. I realize that that sounds strange. In ACIV Edward had a lot more customization ( which I loved) and he had a much larger place to explore but, when it came to missions, he wasn't as free or, I wasn't as free. Do you understand? I got a stronger sense of Badass when the action was from my mind. I felt like I was Ezio and like I was the Assassin. It was different after that. Like the game wants me to do things a certain way. I don't know if that makes sense. It isn't so much about the lack of guidance by assassin's but more of a lack of freedom. Mario (in ACII) taught you about the Assassin's and then you did what you wanted on your own. In ACIV Edward was guided by Either Mary or Blackbeard with a few other characters as well but they watched him the whole way. In ACII Ezio was taught some stuff then they let him go. Whereas in ACIV the whole game felt like a long tutorial to some extent. I had the same problem with ACIII. I hope that clears up my reasoning behind my opinion. :)

Your are clear, however, it doesn't make sense. AC:2's missions structures, aside from assassination contracts, were literally mostly scripted. Like Brotherhood, you had a sense of ''freedom'', but you were following a strict scripted guideline throughout the missions. You parkoured through a scripted terrain, jumped into a scripted cutscene, fall into a scripted combat sequence, scripted eavesdrop, scripted stalking, and then scripted Assassination. They aren't as bad as AC:3's, and you weren't bombarded with 100% synchs in Brotherhood, but you were always following a set course of sequences and cutscenes. You had only about... 1-2 assassinations that weren't scripted and offered players freedom. --Which were badass, but AC:IV offered MUCH, MUCH more. And AC:2 doesn't have much of a tutorial? The entire game until sequence 13 was a tutorial clustered with instructions and following custcenes. Hell, Ezio's first real Assassin mission which is sequence 14 was a scripted fest. Scripted is the only word I can describe AC:2. Actually, that's most of Assassin's Creed if I'm honest. AC:1 and AC:IV are the only ones of the series that can be described as free and seamless.

Also, I don't get how you didn't feel ''free'' in AC:IV. Just about every main story assassination offered you a huge map and let you go do your business with little cutscenes and few dialogues until you've finished your target, whereas AC:2 had you follow a set sequences. Albeit you had a 100% synch, but they were the least terrible in AC:IV. Even during tutorials, you weren't limited or scripted. You could go explore the entire sea with Ben Hornigold on your ship. Or venture Kingston with Mary by your side.

If we were to compare all the main story assassination missions that offered players freedom from start to finish between the two games, I could bet you that AC:IV would come out with more than 3x the amount of missions despite having only 12 sequences. And I'm talking about missions that allow you from start to finish, terrain the areas like an Assassin and finish the target however you saw fit. ex: Ropedart, Guns, Poisons, ETC.

Fatal-Feit
07-06-2014, 07:21 AM

Really? I can't recall Ezio ever learning much about the Templar or Assassins, aside from his family being of a secret order that have been in existence since near the beginning of time and the Templars being a bunch of greedy old farts who deny freedom just because. Hell, the Creed was only iterated once near the end of the game, with no explanation. Ezio was mostly an avenger who fought with bandits, mercenaries, and *****s, also used and aided by mysterious folks who he's not concerned about in the least.

With AC:IV, you've ventured and sided with both orders, while getting more than just a sneak peak. Edward have first hand been with the Templar talking about their order, their reasons, their nature, their plans, etc etc. Same with the Assassins. In fact, they even talk about the Creed and its meaning. You never got that with AC:2, AC:B, AC:R, or AC:3. Those games are too fixated on the character's own endeavors and drama.

roostersrule2
07-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Ezio is so realistic that M made a thread about him being real, he is easily the best because he slays so much poon and because he has the most manly beard.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/600651-Ezio-is-a-Real-Person-Forums

Shahkulu101
07-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Ezio is so realistic that M made a thread about him being real, he is easily the best because he slays so much poon and because he has the most manly beard.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/600651-Ezio-is-a-Real-Person-Forums

Ah, M getting M'ed in his own thread. Hard to think there was such a time.

They grow up so fast.

phoenix-force411
07-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Oh my god. Combat in ACIV is just horrible. Ship fights are the worst. The combat system does not bode well in large crowds. Fighting is super boring in ACIV, only ship fights are fun, but they're not much of a challenge as they are in ACIII beside Legendary Ships.

king-hailz
07-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Am I crazy or am I the only one who thought AC4 felt like much more of an AC game then AC3... AC3 was so wrapped up in the revolution i didnt feel like an assassin... AC4 really goes deep into what an assassin is and what it means to be one and understand the creed...

Also connor was the only other assassin in the game... that actually wore the robes... AC4 had those hodeouts with all the assassins and that also added to the feeling of being in a world of assassins...

Also i really dont agree with the guy who startes this thread... lol... i thought the fighting was better in AC3 but the story was better in AC4... AC3's story was so......... i was really forcong myself to play that i really dodnt care what wpyld happen to connor or haytham or anything.... and the main reason is because of the way it was told... i mean AC3 and AC4 were told in a weird way that made it hard to follow... AC2 to ACR were written so well... i dont know why it didnt work later...

Assassin_M
07-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Ah, M getting M'ed in his own thread. Hard to think there was such a time.

They grow up so fast.
You weren't even there

Shahkulu101
07-06-2014, 06:02 PM
You weren't even there
Yeah so?

Assassin_M
07-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Yeah so?
Kids shouldn't be talking about grown up stuff, you're just over a year old

Shahkulu101
07-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Kids shouldn't be talking about grown up stuff, you're just over a year old

Oh dearest apologies. :rolleyes:

Assassin_M
07-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Oh dearest apologies. :rolleyes:
That's right:nonchalance:

Sesheenku
07-07-2014, 05:11 AM
I like AC4 better, by a touch. That's not saying much though since they both disappointed me in most ways.

Personally I'd give AC3 a 6.5 and AC4 an 8.

ze_topazio
07-08-2014, 04:12 PM
We all have embarrassing stories from the past.