PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else miss this kind of music in Assassin's Creed?

SixKeys
07-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Does anyone else miss the more "modern"-sounding tracks we had in the older games? Listening to some of them is really odd in a way, they're almost like from an entirely different game. But I love them and miss the contrast they brought. On the one hand you had some really period-specific music, with classic instruments and choirs and all that, then suddenly you'd get into a street fight and the music switched to like Mortal Kombat, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ArYwQ1d9ck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-11s1rWrH9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3o038osEIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIFWD4rHsAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTqHblPMiU0

Out of these, "Venice Escape" is especially striking to me. I'm not an expert on music terminology, but I would describe it as techno. Compare to the soothing "Dreams of Venice" theme that you normally hear when walking around Venice and then suddenly this track starts and it's like being transported to a disco. :p But I really enjoy that contrast. It was a reminder that AC wasn't only tied to the past, but was about modern technology (Animus) interpreting history.

The last few games seem to have moved into more symphonic territory, with modern-sounding tracks being exclusively tied to modern day segments. Does anyone else wish they would mix up the modern and historical sounds more liberally like they used to?

Locopells
07-05-2014, 12:03 AM
Modern Assassin from ACIII my personal favourite. Not sure about having music styles mixed, the deliberate separating works for me.

I-Like-Pie45
07-05-2014, 12:06 AM
no Jesper Kyd was a hack whose music was essentially comparable to a cheese grater being banged on pots and his leaving was a blessing for the series

the music in this thread is only further proof of his inability to compose

Hopefully he gets blacklisted from the industry and never works on a game again

marvelfannumber
07-05-2014, 12:33 AM
I was always more in the belief of giving AC a more cinematic style in music (which is why I really love Lorne Balfe's music) but I also think the techno/futuristic tracks really fit with the modern day and gives it this sort of mysterious feel.

So I guess I sorta 50% miss it, it's better than Brian Tyler's tracks I will give it that.

Though if I were to have it my way I would have Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard (they always make amazing compostitions togheter in my opinion, they're like bread and butter music wise) collab on all things historical AC related and have Kyd compose everything Modern Day related (if that actually still mattered).

Shahkulu101
07-05-2014, 12:53 AM
I do kind of miss these, yeah. Especially tracks like Access the Animus. They merged so well with the games that I never actually noticed it at first. Until I done some research on Jesper Kyd and the wiki page said he used a techno style. I was like 'What? No he didn't....' then I went back and listened to some, and realised that he actually did. They were fitting, and general good pieces of music - so I dont see any reason to object to them returning. Although I ultimately dont mind, the purely orchestral tracks are my favourites.

purplekurple
07-05-2014, 01:38 AM
All that matters is that the music fits the setting which all AC games do very well.

Assassin_M
07-05-2014, 02:01 AM
I miss Jesper more than i like to admit.

sings_in_tune
07-05-2014, 02:14 AM
I have only played AC1 and not yet finished AC2 but I really miss the music from AC1, I don't like the AC2 music nearly as much. Except when you are on a viewpoint, you get the same old music.

Shahkulu101
07-05-2014, 02:38 AM
I miss Jesper more than i like to admit.

But Jesper worked on AC2, ergo everyone that likes his music is blinded by nostalgia. :rolleyes:

tut tut...

Assassin_M
07-05-2014, 02:41 AM
But Jesper worked on AC2, ergo everyone that likes his music is blinded by nostalgia.

tut tut...
Quite true, that's all there is to it...yes yes, nostalgia, what was I thinking?

Shahkulu101
07-05-2014, 02:45 AM
Quite true, that's all there is to it...yes yes, nostalgia, what was I thinking?

You're signature... perhaps it has some hypnotic effect - or you have absorbed the nostalgic radiation emitted from AC2 fanboys. We must be getting you to a rehabiliation clinic.

Assassin_M
07-05-2014, 02:47 AM
You're signature... perhaps it has some hypnotic effect - or you have absorbed the nostalgic radiation emitted from AC2 fanboys. We must be getting you to a rehabiliation clinic.
yes please, ohmagosh halp

I-Like-Pie45
07-05-2014, 02:48 AM
put AC2 in camel clutch, Mr. Shei- I mean, M

make the ***** humble

Assassin_M
07-05-2014, 03:05 AM
put AC2 in camel clutch, Mr. Shei- I mean, M

make the ***** humble
http://i.gyazo.com/123ea3213d004655f5255aad88e7feda.png

Calvarok
07-05-2014, 03:39 AM
I actually think Black Flag has come the closest to capturing the feeling of AC2's music. It's got the period elements, but it mixes in a lot of very modern-sounding guitar licks and electronic noises. There's one ambient track in particular that has this constant pounding beat that sounds like an electronically manipulated sample of a noise an animal would make in a jungle or something. And it makes great subtle use of bass and electric guitar in general.

Of course, Black Flag's soundtrack definitely has more of an "adventure"ish tone to it, not quite the same as some of the more mysterious and haunting AC2 themes.

I really do love AC2, and while I've particularly enjoyed the last three game soundtracks (wasn't super keen on Brotherhood's), AC2's is still my favorite. It has a feel unlike any other AC game. It sounds like renaissance music going through a time warp, both ways at once.

I'd love for a new AC game to capture that sort of spirit but do new things with it. I will say that I think the action/tension-focused tracks have gotten way better since AC2, which really shines mostly for its ambient tracks. Like, the "fully notorious" song is really not that great imo (and not just because you hear it more than any other song

EDIT: oh, and AC3's soundtrack is definitely my second favorite. That main theme is so intense. It's an absolute crime no ambient tracks play during free-roam, because it has so many perfectly fitting tracks. it's the all-around most solid AC soundtrack imo.

Ureh
07-05-2014, 06:19 AM
Yeah I got that sorta contemporary feeling in the Nassau/Kingston ambient music. Is that the one you're thinking about too?!

itsamea-mario
07-05-2014, 06:22 AM
We need more dubstep.

bit of this maybe?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGpzGu9Yp6Y

LoyalACFan
07-05-2014, 06:28 AM
I don't really miss it, per se. I mean, I love Jesper Kyd and I miss him dearly, but that sort of period/modern fusion was, to me, reflective of the connected nature of the past and present in AC. That was awesome when I actually cared about the modern day stuff, but now, I just want the modern content to quietly die off and have them focus entirely on the historical stuff, so a more period-accurate (or rather, period-flavored) soundtrack would be the way to go in the future.

itsamea-mario
07-05-2014, 06:31 AM
I'd like it if we got a game were every track wasn't just a variation of the main theme...

roostersrule2
07-05-2014, 08:53 AM
I'd like it if we got a game were every track wasn't just a variation of the main theme...This is one reason liked Jesper, apart from maybe two or three songs all of his work was different.

joelsantos24
07-05-2014, 09:54 AM
I'd like it if we got a game were every track wasn't just a variation of the main theme...
Precisely.

Jesper Kyd was the greatest. His work on the Assassin's 2 soundtrack was mind-blowing, and to me, it remains the greatest soundtrack in Assassin's Creed yet. Brotherhood's and Revelations' were also fantastic, and you can sense the clear beautiful Eastern influence in Revelations. He was always able to mix the more classical style, with beautiful choirs and an opera-based epic proportion, with more modern beats from techno. The music was epic, and so were the games. Then everything went sour, much like the series, anyway. The Assassin's 3 soundtrack, remains my most disliked one of the whole series. Black Flag's soundtrack improved slightly. I have no idea whether or not Kyd will return to do Unity (or Comet, for that matter), but I definitely wish so.

roostersrule2
07-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Precisely.

Jesper Kyd was the greatest. His work on the Assassin's 2 soundtrack was mind-blowing, and to me, it remains the greatest soundtrack in Assassin's Creed yet. Brotherhood's and Revelations' were also fantastic, and you can sense the clear beautiful Eastern influence in Revelations. He was always able to mix the more classical style, with beautiful choirs and an opera-based epic proportion, with more modern beats from techno. The music was epic, and so were the games. Then everything went sour, much like the series, anyway. The Assassin's 3 soundtrack, remains my most disliked one of the whole series. Black Flag's soundtrack improved slightly. I have no idea whether or not Kyd will return to do Unity (or Comet, for that matter), but I definitely wish so.He's not :(

I forget who's doing Unity, I think it's the same three who did AC4, Brian Tyler and his collaborators.

Even though I liked AC3's music how amazing is this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBKAB-K83eQ

I hope Kyd comes back one day, from all reports it didn't look like they left on bad terms, I'm pretty sure they just wanted a change with AC's music.

itsamea-mario
07-05-2014, 10:08 AM
I do quite like how most of Tylers stuff sounds, i really liked a few of the tracks on Far cry 3.

wvstolzing
07-05-2014, 10:10 AM
I actually think Black Flag has come the closest to capturing the feeling of AC2's music. It's got the period elements, but it mixes in a lot of very modern-sounding guitar licks and electronic noises.

I agree.

AC3's music was way too 'generic'----of the sort you'd find in run-of-the-mill action flicks, tv serials, or even documentaries. Outside of games, I don't care *at all* for those 'techno' beats or whatever; but they certainly did lend a unique character to *Mass Effect 1* and AC2 alike. Then both series went the way of the orchestral equivalent of a Bob Ross painting.

I should add, though, that having been raised on a Commodore 64, my expectations/tastes for 'computer game music' may have been conditioned towards those 'beats' and 'electronic noises'----and Jesper Kyd comes from the Amiga demo scene, so.....

joelsantos24
07-05-2014, 10:41 AM
He's not :(

I forget who's doing Unity, I think it's the same three who did AC4, Brian Tyler and his collaborators.

Even though I liked AC3's music how amazing is this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBKAB-K83eQ

I hope Kyd comes back one day, from all reports it didn't look like they left on bad terms, I'm pretty sure they just wanted a change with AC's music.
Yeah, I heard that there was no bad blood between the parts, whatsoever. Anyway, I do think it is awkward to even think or feel that the series needed a change in music. Considering the work on the soundtracks from Assassin's 2 to Revelations, there was no redundancy, all songs were different and unique. Not to mention beautiful and epic. So, under this premisse, Kyd's leaving did not make much sense, in my humble opinion.

m4r-k7
07-05-2014, 12:50 PM
I loved the AC 2 soundtrack. Ahhh I loved the intro to AC 2 with the song "Ezios Family" :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps7G0Qtw-TE

ze_topazio
07-05-2014, 02:02 PM
That strange mix of old and new, classic and modern, symphonic and electronic is why Jesper Kyd is great and his music captures the essence of Assassin's Creed more than any other, I miss that mofo.

king-hailz
07-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Assassins Creed 1 - Creepy and eeire sound that I love.
Assassin's Creed 2 - Just Wow. Indescribeble.
Assassins Creed Brotherhood - creepy and eeire again.
Assassins Creed Revelations - Emotional and extremely nostalgic
Assassins Crees 3 - epic but a bit off......
Assassins creed 4 - Definetely suits the setting. BUT no emotional connection... amd just not something i would download onto my phone to listen to regularly like ezios family' ACR main theme, venice ambient music etc...

I think AC Unity will be epic but will sound off... it already sounds EXTREMELY similar to AC3... the main theme i mean... and those 30 second clips show two... the first i think is the main theme that is very similar to AC3, but the other one is quite emotional amd very different but doesnt suit the setting AT ALL!!!

roostersrule2
07-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Could you send a link to the themes of ACU man?

Calvarok
07-05-2014, 04:51 PM
None of the game's soundtracks are just variations of the main theme. Brotherhood's soundtrack was exceptionally bland, maybe the worst one.

Deezl-V
07-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Precisely.

Jesper Kyd was the greatest. His work on the Assassin's 2 soundtrack was mind-blowing, and to me, it remains the greatest soundtrack in Assassin's Creed yet. Brotherhood's and Revelations' were also fantastic, and you can sense the clear beautiful Eastern influence in Revelations. He was always able to mix the more classical style, with beautiful choirs and an opera-based epic proportion, with more modern beats from techno. The music was epic, and so were the games. Then everything went sour, much like the series, anyway. The Assassin's 3 soundtrack, remains my most disliked one of the whole series. Black Flag's soundtrack improved slightly. I have no idea whether or not Kyd will return to do Unity (or Comet, for that matter), but I definitely wish so.

This. And here's hope for Kyds return.

Shahkulu101
07-05-2014, 05:02 PM
None of the game's soundtracks are just variations of the main theme. Brotherhood's soundtrack was exceptionally bland, maybe the worst one.

Well, some of the tracks are - quite a lot in AC3 - but it was an exaggeration, yes. Jesper is guilty of something similar though, a lot of his tracks are variations of others. Venice rooftops is a faster, more upbeat version of Ezio's family, and I'm pretty sure some of the ambient tracks from ACB and ACR borrowed certain elements from each other. About ACB being the worst, I object to that. I feel it has some of the best ambient music, but that some of the tracks aren't the best to listen to when not playing.

My favourite track from ACB:

http://youtu.be/EgbnjhY_SfA

For whatever reason, I get super emotional when I'm roaming the countryside or at the Colosseum. Especially when it kicks in in the middle.

Locopells
07-05-2014, 05:08 PM
I get creeped out by the music when around the ruins near the port...

NondairyGold
07-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Regardless of composer, I feel that the score for each game created the right atmosphere that that score was aiming for. They weren't made to be listened to solely on their own. That being said, some soundtracks were better than other's!

Hans684
07-05-2014, 05:38 PM
I prefer if they have a different composer(s) for each game, if I however could choose one for a future AC it would be Miracle Of Sound(Gavin Dunne). Ubisoft have contacted him before but that was regarding his Watch_Dogs inspired song(Digital Shadow(recommended)).

Assassin's Den interview: Gavin Dunne

http://hitokiriakins.blogspot.no/2013/02/interview-with-gavin-dunn-of-miracle-of.html

Jexx21
07-05-2014, 06:30 PM
All of the composers did great work. I loved all of the soundtracks, except for AC1 since I don't really feel like AC1's soundtrack is that memorable.

ACfan443
07-05-2014, 06:36 PM
I sorely miss Jesper and the inimitable signature sound he refined for the franchise, his versatility and ability to capture an era is second to none. And while the newer composers have scored their respective games well, their music isn't quite as a memorable, enchanting, and striking as Kyd's.

One of my favourite 'modern and old' style compositions from the earlier games:

http://youtu.be/-L472NsYB1U
2:11 onwards

Being chased by the crusaders on horseback in Kingdom with those hymn-like haunting vocals and faint electronic pulses echoing in the background was an incredibly exhilarating and heart pounding experience. The combination of classic orchestra and electronica is something I feel is integral to the score of an AC game. Every series has its signature sound and AC's is characterised by choir manipulations and modern/period infusions, something the newer scores have departed from to some degree.

I share Ze_topazio's sentiments in that it was Jesper who, in my opinion, was truly able to capture the essence of Assassin's Creed. The music has shifted from classically 'game' music to B-grade Hollywood scores. AC3's soundtrack sounded generic and forgettable in my opinion (excluding ToKW and the ambient tribal tracks which were fantastic), while AC4's was a tad too peppy and lacking a much needed choir/vocalist. But I loved that some of Black Flag's music revisited that old electronic/classical hybrid sound in tracks like The Spanish Empire

http://youtu.be/ZNrQsYAeIdc

Having explained why I prefer Kyd's music, I'm not going to pretend everything he composed was God-tier, Brotherhood's soundtrack was mediocre in parts (again, barring the ambient tracks which were some of the series' finest), and I felt like it could have done with being a little less repetitive.

Could you send a link to the themes of ACU man?

http://youtu.be/zohEED_Grbc

SixKeys
07-05-2014, 06:37 PM
Well, some of the tracks are - quite a lot in AC3 - but it was an exaggeration, yes. Jesper is guilty of something similar though, a lot of his tracks are variations of others. Venice rooftops is a faster, more upbeat version of Ezio's family, and I'm pretty sure some of the ambient tracks from ACB and ACR borrowed certain elements from each other. About ACB being the worst, I object to that. I feel it has some of the best ambient music, but that some of the tracks aren't the best to listen to when not playing.

^ This. Personally I like ACB's soundtrack more than AC2's, I just like the darker, heavier instrumentation. But more to the point, Kyd is absolutely just as guilty of recycling themes as the other composers. "Ezio's Family" is sampled many times throughout both AC2 and ACB's various tracks, so is "Dreams of Venice". ACR was the worst offender IMO, I got kinda sick of the main theme when practically every single track in the game would eventually launch into "aaah aaahh aaAAAHHH". I blame it partly on the game's short development cycle (ACB recycled a lot of tracks and it was also made in less than a year) and partly on the combination of two composers with very different styles. I think they found one theme both were satisfied with and proceeded to use it everywhere in the game with varying interpretations, so you still got a sense of a unified soundscape even when the two styles collided.

(This is not to say I didn't enjoy ACR's soundtrack, BTW. Just saying it was probably the most repetitive of all.)

Assassin_M
07-05-2014, 06:42 PM
^(ACB recycled a lot of tracks and it was also made in less than a year)
Nah, ACB was probably in development for a year or a bit over, since we'v been hearing rumors about a Rome DLC since even before AC II was released, not to mention the fact that AC II was originally meant to end in 1503, so AT LEAST the beginning of ACB had been planned by then, when they decided to end AC II in 1499 instead.

ACR--in its present form for consoles--had been in development for 9 months.

Jexx21
07-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Man, ACU's soundtrack sounds great so far

ACfan443
07-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Man, ACU's soundtrack sounds great so far

Just a note, the music playing at the very end of that preview is from Iron Man.

SixKeys
07-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Nah, ACB was probably in development for a year or a bit over, since we'v been hearing rumors about a Rome DLC since even before AC II was released, not to mention the fact that AC II was originally meant to end in 1503, so AT LEAST the beginning of ACB had been planned by then, when they decided to end AC II in 1499 instead.

ACR--in its present form for consoles--had been in development for 9 months.

I remember the marketing of ACB often made sure to mention the game was developed in less than a year and how they were proud of what they managed to accomplish in so little time. UbiGabe even mentioned it a few times in his Q&A videos. The planning was probably there, yes, it may have originally started out as just an add-on. But at least according to Ubi, the game was made in less than a year.

Jexx21
07-05-2014, 06:51 PM
What? They actually marketed that?

That's something that you should NEVER market. People tend to hate short dev times.

Assassin_M
07-05-2014, 06:52 PM
I remember the marketing of ACB often made sure to mention the game was developed in less than a year and how they were proud of what they managed to accomplish in so little time. UbiGabe even mentioned it a few times in his Q&A videos. The planning was probably there, yes, it may have originally started out as just an add-on. But at least according to Ubi, the game was made in less than a year.
really?? they said that?? wow...

Shahkulu101
07-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Well it doesn't really matter if they said that does it? It's one of the best AC games and way better than most open-world games. They should be proud, and at least they were honest.

I'm fully confident that all the AC games can be quality titles even with annualization. AC3 was just poorly made. Now the story suffered, yes, but that's sorted now.

Assassin_M
07-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Well it doesn't really matter if they said that does it? It's one of the best AC games and way better than most open-world games. They should be proud, and at least they were honest.
It's just not something you flail around to fans like that...even if you're proud of it and you know how much work went into making this in less that a year (if it's even true), the fans most likely WONT understand and they'd whine about it...i'm surprised this wasn't a thing in 2010..."ohmagosh, made in less than a year?? it'd be so bad"

Shahkulu101
07-05-2014, 06:58 PM
It's just not something you flail around to fans like that...even if you're proud of it and you know how much work went into making this in less that a year (if it's even true), the fans most likely WONT understand and they'd whine about it...i'm surprised this wasn't a thing in 2010..."ohmagosh, made in less than a year?? it'd be so bad"

Yeah I suppose it was naive to think that most video game fans are rational.

SixKeys
07-05-2014, 06:59 PM
What? They actually marketed that?

That's something that you should NEVER market. People tend to hate short dev times.

It was a simpler time. :p One developer on ACR even said a 12-month dev cycle was "ideal".

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113643-Developer-Assassins-Creeds-12-Month-Development-Time-is-Ideal

Jexx21
07-05-2014, 06:59 PM
eh I still think that AC3 is one of the best AC titles.. then again they're all pretty good.

Assassin_M
07-05-2014, 07:00 PM
It was a simpler time. :p One developer on ACR even said a 12-month dev cycle was "ideal".

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113643-Developer-Assassins-Creeds-12-Month-Development-Time-is-Ideal
I remember that

Locopells
07-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Wasn't that ACR they went on about that for?

I remember they certainly made a thing of how many studios they'd put on it, in order to assure people that it would be up to scratch.

SixKeys
07-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Wasn't that ACR they went on about that for?

I remember they certainly made a thing of how many studios they'd put on it, in order to assure people that it would be up to scratch.

Both. ACB was developed in 11 or 12 months, I think, and ACR in 9 or 10. When ACB was well received to the surprise of many skeptics, Ubi used its success as leverage to market ACR. "See? We told you we could make a good game in less than a year! Now, the next one is developed in even LESS time, so just imagine how good it'll be!" Ubi logic.

Jexx21
07-05-2014, 07:13 PM
I don't remember them lauding the short development time for ACR either, and I know for a fact that I was here for when they hyped ACR.

m4r-k7
07-05-2014, 07:21 PM
I personally felt AC B was kind of an add on to AC 2 and could detect that it probably only took a year to make. AC B had a good story and added great mechanics, but I failed to enjoy it as much as AC 2 based on the locations we visited and a weaker story.

SixKeys
07-05-2014, 07:29 PM
I don't remember them lauding the short development time for ACR either, and I know for a fact that I was here for when they hyped ACR.

It was the same strategy they had for ACB. They basically said "we're proud of what we've accomplished in such little time", which I think is fair. For a game with a 9-month dev cycle, it was an impressive feat. Whether or not it should have been made in the first place is a different discussion.

Anyway, now we've veered off the subject of music.

Megas_Doux
07-05-2014, 07:42 PM
There were rumors back in 2009 that the historic part of AC II would end in 1503 -instead of what we got, 1500- in which our hero will be facing three powerful italian families, instead of Pazzi´s and Barbarigo´s only.

I have always thought that ACB was an originally planned DLC made into a full game. After all, ACR was a Nintendo 3DS project.....

Ureh
07-05-2014, 08:37 PM
This is the song I listen to the most that has a fusion of chorus/classical/contemporary music. It's the one that plays when you use the Flying Machine.

Flight Over Venice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkAwV2FPs4A (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psJx4r****Y)

edit woopsie the link was censored! :p

LoyalACFan
07-05-2014, 11:11 PM
I think AC Unity will be epic but will sound off... it already sounds EXTREMELY similar to AC3... the main theme i mean... and those 30 second clips show two... the first i think is the main theme that is very similar to AC3, but the other one is quite emotional amd very different but doesnt suit the setting AT ALL!!!

I couldn't disagree more. AC3's soundtrack was cinematic and bombastic (though it had a few good ones) while Unity's sounds much more subdued. The second track on the AC Univers preview especially, and I think it DOES fit the period. It's amazing. There was nothing even close to that subtle in AC3's soundtrack, Balfe practically smacked you over the head with every one of his tracks on that game. His ACR work was better by leaps and bounds IMO.

Assassin_M
07-05-2014, 11:26 PM
I couldn't disagree more. AC3's soundtrack was cinematic and bombastic (though it had a few good ones) while Unity's sounds much more subdued. The second track on the AC Univers preview especially, and I think it DOES fit the period. It's amazing. There was nothing even close to that subtle in AC3's soundtrack, Balfe practically smacked you over the head with every one of his tracks on that game. His ACR work was better by leaps and bounds IMO.
There were more than a few subtle tracks in AC III

Ureh
07-05-2014, 11:29 PM

The one that plays in certain missions like Edinburgh was pretty subtle right?

LoyalACFan
07-05-2014, 11:37 PM
There were more than a few subtle tracks in AC III

Speck of Dust, Farewell, and Homestead are the only ones I can think of. And each of those were underutilized in favor of bombastic crap like Beer and Friends or Trouble in Town.

The one that plays in certain missions like Edinburgh was pretty subtle right?

Don't remember it. Was it even on the OST?

ACfan443
07-05-2014, 11:46 PM

I'm on the fence, parts of what we've heard are admittedly softer, but other parts sound like something straight out of a TV series or Hollywood action movie, excessively theatrical (à la Balfe) and borderline unpleasant to listen to.

http://youtu.be/wzBJPOcmke0

4:00 - 4:08
And 6:20 - 7:05 - my least favourite section of the demo, and probably reason I prefer watching the co-op demo more often.

I'd like to clarify that these are just my thoughts on what we've heard so far, I'm not going to jump to conclusions about the nature of a score having only heard bits and pieces of it from two ~6 minute demos, that would be unfair and irrational.

Jexx21
07-05-2014, 11:49 PM
AC3 had a fantastic soundtrack.

Ureh
07-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Don't remember it. Was it even on the OST?

Not sure, but here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeFOtrFxXGA

Assassin_M
07-06-2014, 12:03 AM
Speck of Dust, Farewell, and Homestead are the only ones I can think of.
There's also an uncertain present, a bitter truth, through the Frontier, Beer and friends and Connor's life and this is without the unreleased ones.

8 is not a bad number...especially in a game that had no ambient music unfortunately..

Shahkulu101
07-06-2014, 12:06 AM
This rivals Kyd's best work:

http://youtu.be/PSkUhIzXUtU

ACfan443
07-06-2014, 12:16 AM
This rivals Kyd's best work:

http://youtu.be/PSkUhIzXUtU

It had the potential to rival Kyd's best work, but it fell flat in the middle and became extremely boring to listen to past that point.

I think if the first half of this track (which was specifically composed for a trailer) was replaced by the first half of Connor's Life, and then included in the official soundtrack and game, it would be one of the series' best.

http://youtu.be/RKjxzbEChIY

EDIT: can't stop listening to it now, 1:46-2:21 is eargasmic, the vocals and the strings, just euphoric. And wasted potential.

Shahkulu101
07-06-2014, 12:29 AM
I'll admit it does stagnate in the middle but 4:00--END is the best bit IMO.

The trailer song is great, yes. Wish they would have utilised vocals more.

Jexx21
07-06-2014, 12:37 AM
:rolleyes:

I-Like-Pie45
07-06-2014, 12:38 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shahkulu101
07-06-2014, 12:41 AM

What? Are you rolling your eyes at me Jecksy?!

I-Like-Pie45
07-06-2014, 12:43 AM
What? Are you rolling your eyes at me Jecksy?!

SixKeys
07-06-2014, 12:44 AM
The best subtle track in AC3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0aGa7IetPI

LoyalACFan
07-06-2014, 04:12 AM
There's also an uncertain present, a bitter truth, through the Frontier, Beer and friends and Connor's life and this is without the unreleased ones.

8 is not a bad number...especially in a game that had no ambient music unfortunately..

See, I wouldn't consider Beer and Friends or Through the Frontier subtle at all. They aren't big action-scene type tracks, but they sure aren't very nuanced IMO. Especially Beer and Friends, I freaking hate that one. I forgot about Connor's Life though, that was a good one. The other two I don't even remember.

I actually do like the soundtrack overall though, I just think certain mediocre tracks were greatly overused (i.e. Trouble in Town, Freedom Fighter, Beer and Friends) and other, better ones were sadly underused (i.e. Homestead, Farewell, Connor's Life).

Megas_Doux
07-06-2014, 04:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AltK9T-2EE8

Why ubi??????
WHY?????????????????????????

Fatal-Feit
07-06-2014, 07:36 AM
eh I still think that AC3 is one of the best AC titles.. then again they're all pretty good.

AC:IV has an amazing track, but there's just something about AC:3's that makes me grin hysterically. In a good way...

It's really weird. AC:3 tracks does an amazing job of boosting my emotions and making me pumped, or sad. AC:IV's makes me happy and I tend to listen to use it more, but it's just not as impacting.

roostersrule2
07-06-2014, 11:19 AM
This what I think the best tracks in each game are.

AC1: Access the Animus
AC2: Ezio's Family/Earth
ACB: City of Rome
ACR: Labored and Lost
AC3: Connor's Story
AC4: Under the Black Flag

m4r-k7
07-06-2014, 06:20 PM
^ Agreed