PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Unity Collectables

playlisting
07-03-2014, 02:06 AM
I loved Assassin's Creed 4. It was a great looking, fun and incredible game with a very good story. I liked it so much that I decided to get 100% synchronisation. So wherever I went I started looting chests, picking up song sheets... etc. Now once I was at around 85-90 percent, it wasn't actually any fun any more. It was just a tedious grind, sailing for a few minutes, coming to a halt, trying to make sure I stopped my ship right so I didn't hit land/stop too far away. And I repeated that. For 4 evenings. Over and over. And then I had to use Kenway's Fleet (a feature I hadn't really used up until the point I found out it was required for 100%). I sent my ships on missions that took like 20 HOURS to complete. So I had to come on every night, and send my ships out, again. For a whole week. Now I'm all for a few collectables, but the amount in AC4 was excessive and unneeded and it struck me as something they used to add extra time to the game so they could say "well to do everything it will take up to X amount of hours". There were a monstrous amount of chests in AC 2 and I was actually a bit shocked when I looked at the map after buying one that showed me the chest locations. They were near enough everywhere! Now, I want to know what your opinions are about the collectables in Assassin's Creed. Should they add more? Are you happy with the amount there are now? Or do you think they should reduce the amount of collectables? Thanks for reading, please take the time to vote as I'd really like to know if anyone shares the same point of view as me here :)

Ureh
07-03-2014, 02:30 AM
Yep, the collectibles - especially the ones in AC4 - are really in overabundance and in my case, don't really have much significance (they're required to unlock Animus Hacks which I don't really use). I'm hoping for collectibles that can unlock story elements, useful items/upgrades or cool outfits. Would you like collectibles that are "interactive"? Examples would be the Riddler trophies in Arkham games, in which we had to figure out how to reach them or solve a mini-puzzle, the Riddler would mock the Batman every once in awhile, etc. Infamous Second Son had those graffiti "collectibles" that required a bit of interaction. Assassin's Creed 2 had feathers (which unlocked a decent weapon at 50%, and a beautiful cutscene and cape at 100%).

I'm sorta ambivalent when it comes to the total number of collectibles, sure it gives us more to do. But it also feels like it could meddle with the pacing/tone of the story. I think the audience should be captivated and intrigued by the story, not distracted by a mountain of collectibles. I've only read a few hundred posts from other people about this issue, but most of them do prioritise the side content because they want to get it out of the way first. When they experience the story they don't want the side content to be always nagging them at the back of their mind. One thing I like about ACB collectibles is that they aren't all released in very quick succession or at once, instead you get a manageable amount after completing each Sequence.

I've yet to find a person who compliments the Kenway's Fleet mini-game.

playlisting
07-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Yep, the collectibles - especially the ones in AC4 - are really in overabundance and in my case, don't really have much significance (they're required to unlock Animus Hacks which I don't really use). I'm hoping for collectibles that can unlock story elements, useful items/upgrades or cool outfits. Would you like collectibles that are "interactive"? Examples would be the Riddler trophies in Arkham games, in which we had to figure out how to reach them or solve a mini-puzzle, the Riddler would mock the Batman every once in awhile, etc. Infamous Second Son had those graffiti "collectibles" that required a bit of interaction. Assassin's Creed 2 had feathers (which unlocked a decent weapon at 50%, and a beautiful cutscene and cape at 100%).

I'm sorta ambivalent when it comes to the total number of collectibles, sure it gives us more to do. But it also feels like it could meddle with the pacing/tone of the story. I think the audience should be captivated and intrigued by the story, not distracted by a mountain of collectibles. I've only read a few hundred posts from other people about this issue, but most of them do prioritise the side content because they want to get it out of the way first. When they experience the story they don't want the side content to be always nagging them at the back of their mind. One thing I like about ACB collectibles is that they aren't all released in very quick succession or at once, instead you get a manageable amount after completing each Sequence.

I've yet to find a person who compliments the Kenway's Fleet mini-game.

I'd be all for some interactive collectables. A lot of them just now are little more than padding to add extra time to the game. Animus fragments are, simply, a bore. They're of no use other than to unlock some animus hacks as you said (that might get used, but very rarely are). I'd also be up for doing some side missions to get some difficult to obtain but useful collectables (such as the Templar Armour in AC 4). Something like stealing a one of a kind sword from a huge & highly guarded building. Just something interesting rather than having to grind for 100%.