PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette is totally going to be an oppressor [AC: Unity]

JustPlainQuirky
06-30-2014, 04:24 PM
I watched this video and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gShqiU5Ol80

Lafayette outright shoots and kills civilians in an event which is essentially the french equivalent to the boston massacre. And right after he resigns. He seems like a nice guy overall, but this is def something the assassins would never approve of. So i feel he will be a target or someone the assassins have to do something about. But obviously they wouldn't be able to kill him because Lafayette doesn't die until yeeaaaaaaaaaars later of disease. I just find it interesting how a 'good guy' in AC3 is turning up to be a temporary baddie. And I feel this act alone may harm his relationship with Connor (if he is indeed present).

I posted something similar to this before, but I felt this idea warrented its own thread because it's a pretty big event that sparked the french revolution if i recall. I'm going ot watch some French Revolution documentaries to get more info.

So that's one potential baddie we won't get to kill in Unity along with Napoleon.

How do you think his character will be handled? He'll be more neutral? Have a complete turn to 'the dark side'? Or more like 'i'm just following orders and I have so many regrets.' He still an important figure even after the revolution, though. Curious as to what the assassins' stance will be on him.

And of course the biggest question of all regarding lafayette is...

...will he retain his french accent? If not, would he get a new mo-cap actor? Would be sad to see the other voice go. And at the same time it would be super weird for him to be the only french dude with an actual french accent

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 04:34 PM
are we sure he even had a mo-cap actor considering the fact he only had a few (optional and tucked away) conversations?

Wolfmeister1010
06-30-2014, 04:37 PM
That would literally be the most awesome thing ever. Getting to know Lafeyette as basically Connors only trustworthy ally and a good guy and then killing him later ahhhh or uh not kill him but fight him or something

Megas_Doux
06-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Good theory!

JustPlainQuirky
06-30-2014, 04:42 PM
@lafayette

Well AC went full mo-cap in AC:3 to my knowledge. Plus Lafayette's animations seem very fluid. Though relooking back at this video, his face seems very stiff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3N5KoECFb4 So maybe he already has a seperate mo-cap and voice actor. Or better yet maybe you're right and he has no mo-cap actor. Maybe it specifies in the credits I dunno.

Still I would hate to see his voice change. And him having a french accent and not Arno would still be weird to me.

@wolf

Yes. Make Connor's life even more difficult :rolleyes:

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-30-2014, 05:05 PM
OMG Lafayette? A bad guy?

IMPOSSSSSIIIBRUUUUUU!!!!!

EDIT: Watched the video. Some pretty interesting stuff that took place.. and a lot for that man...

But I don't want him to be the bad guy... and if they do have him in the game, he BETTER have the same VA/accent from AC3!

JustPlainQuirky
06-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Search your heart you know it be true.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Q1k0qa5IBms/T8AVJai18zI/AAAAAAAAAAM/ZTi1kdgVHe8/s1600/empire+strikes+back.jpg

steveeire
06-30-2014, 05:21 PM
tbh being good and bad is all about pov, there are very few evil guys who actually think they are evil.

ALSO QUICK REPLY IS BACK WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

JustPlainQuirky
06-30-2014, 05:30 PM
@steve

I know that's why I put 'good guy' in quote marks. or apostrophes.

And did quick reply ever leave??? :p

Shahkulu101
06-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Interesting how he turned on his own people after fighting for America's.

I can't be bothered watching. How did that happen?

JustPlainQuirky
06-30-2014, 05:36 PM
He didnt turn on them. He still worked for the french government. And when the 'peasants' started protesting about something he was sent to disperse them or something. And then they threw rocks at him. And he shot warning shots. They threw more rocks. And he had no choice but to order his men to shoot.

Really seemed like he didnt want to do it. Especially when he resigned afterwards.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-30-2014, 05:39 PM
He didnt turn on them. He still worked for the french government. And when the 'peasants' started protesting about something he was sent to disperse them or something. And then they threw rocks at him. And he shot warning shots. They threw more rocks. And he had no choice but to order his men to shoot.

Really seemed like he didnt want to do it. Especially when he resigned afterwards.

I guess the guilt got to him...

Shahkulu101
06-30-2014, 05:39 PM
Ah, thanks.

He will definitely be a figure. And as far as I know, Arno is upper class - certainly not a peasant - so I wouldn't be surprised if Arno gets on the people's bad side. Lafayette may still be an ally.

steveeire
06-30-2014, 05:40 PM
@steve

I know that's why I put 'good guy' in quote marks. or apostrophes.

And did quick reply ever leave??? :p

For me it did.

JustPlainQuirky
06-30-2014, 05:41 PM
I think he will be an ally too.

If Connor is in it, he'd prolly be all pissed at Lafayette and break ties with him, at least temporarily.

Arno might still associate himself with Lafayette. But we need to know more about him before assuming so.

TBH Im just glad Lafayette doesn't die tragically :p

guardian_titan
06-30-2014, 06:08 PM
AC3 wasn't full motion capture. Davenport is pretty obvious that it wasn't. Only the main story missions were really motion captured. Beyond that, you can tell when they weren't due to how they often move stiffly or just bob around. The conversation Connor has with Ellen, Catherine, and Prudence late in the game, the conversation between Connor, Warren, Prudence, and Lyle after Hunter's born, and conversations between Norris and Connor or Connor and Lance are really obvious (along with the rest). If it was motion captured, the actors at that point were terrible. Realistically, a person won't stand with their weight squarely unless they're military trained (or police, firefighter, etc), Davenport was also apparently a last minute addition to the game which is painfully obvious as a result. AC3 is still my favorite, but I really wish they did more work into Davenport even if they reused animations from other parts of the game like Ziio and Haytham, Samuel Adams and Connor, etc. Think the only motion captured scenes in Davenport were Norris's and Myriam's wedding (and the scene preceeding it where Connor flips Norris) and then the scenes with Achilles and Faulkner. Not really sure Hunter's birth is motion captured or not. Same with Warren's and Prudence's recruitment on the frontier and Norris's in Boston. I'm not really convinced they are. Parts maybe.

There are often times a voice actor can't attend a motion capture session so someone else does it. Loomer's interview with Adrian Hough (Haytham's VA) delves into that a bit. Adrian and Noah had some fun together doing their scenes as did Adrian with Charles's VA (forgot his name), but there was a VA who wasn't there. Who I don't recall.

AC4 does a far better job with natural movements and there aren't any moments I recall that don't have the character just standing there like a waving leaf in the wind. Makes you realize how much motion plays into a person's words when they barely move or move strangely.
Somehow I doubt Lafayette will be a target. Possible he realizes a Templar instigated the event that causing him to fire on civilians and afterward he resigns because to call out the Templar would cause him more issues. He then ends up an underground Assassin (not an Assassin but helping them when he can) until his banishment. I don't see Ubisoft pulling a 180 on Lafayette's character from AC3 (even the real one was pretty much always for his people, especially since he became a politician in the new French government after the French Revolution), although with Abstergo tampering, Abstergo could screw around with his character to make him look worse. AC4 was tampered with apparently so why not ACU? Given that AC3 and ACU are also written by different people, Lafayette could very well get a personality shift due to the ACU author not looking at AC3 at all. >_>

Does make you wonder if Lafayette will keep his AC3 VA. I didn't even think about that. Now that the French seem to be British (if Brits are in the game, will they be French? O.o), Lafayette would look bad if he had a French accent, but we already saw him in AC3. Thinking about it, the issue ultimately is that AC3 used the Assassin's Animus. ACU uses Abstergo's. So more than likely, Lafayette will get a VA change as a result as disappointing as it is. Hope there's an explanation for the British French in the game and it's a good one. >_> Not some cop out about French accents being hard to understand or Abstergo deciding the French language sucks (I'm well aware Ubisoft has offices in Canada and France) or it being a design decision. AC2/ACB used Italian accents so there's no excuse for ACU. :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
06-30-2014, 06:15 PM
Washington was the one who wasnt there.

And I didnt know that about achillese. nice to know.

If Lafayette does stay 'good', he better have a good excuse for the assassins then for the shootings. :p

And like I said I will mourn for Lafayette's missing voice if that's the case.

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 06:17 PM
ACU uses an Assassin animus actually.

Hans684
06-30-2014, 06:18 PM
AC3 wasn't full motion capture. Davenport is pretty obvious that it wasn't. Only the main story missions were really motion captured. Beyond that, you can tell when they weren't due to how they often move stiffly or just bob around. The conversation Connor has with Ellen, Catherine, and Prudence late in the game, the conversation between Connor, Warren, Prudence, and Lyle after Hunter's born, and conversations between Norris and Connor or Connor and Lance are really obvious (along with the rest). If it was motion captured, the actors at that point were terrible. Realistically, a person won't stand with their weight squarely unless they're military trained (or police, firefighter, etc), Davenport was also apparently a last minute addition to the game which is painfully obvious as a result. AC3 is still my favorite, but I really wish they did more work into Davenport even if they reused animations from other parts of the game like Ziio and Haytham, Samuel Adams and Connor, etc. Think the only motion captured scenes in Davenport were Norris's and Myriam's wedding (and the scene preceeding it where Connor flips Norris) and then the scenes with Achilles and Faulkner. Not really sure Hunter's birth is motion captured or not. Same with Warren's and Prudence's recruitment on the frontier and Norris's in Boston. I'm not really convinced they are. Parts maybe.

There are often times a voice actor can't attend a motion capture session so someone else does it. Loomer's interview with Adrian Hough (Haytham's VA) delves into that a bit. Adrian and Noah had some fun together doing their scenes as did Adrian with Charles's VA (forgot his name), but there was a VA who wasn't there. Who I don't recall.

AC4 does a far better job with natural movements and there aren't any moments I recall that don't have the character just standing there like a waving leaf in the wind. Makes you realize how much motion plays into a person's words when they barely move or move strangely.
Somehow I doubt Lafayette will be a target. Possible he realizes a Templar instigated the event that causing him to fire on civilians and afterward he resigns because to call out the Templar would cause him more issues. He then ends up an underground Assassin (not an Assassin but helping them when he can) until his banishment. I don't see Ubisoft pulling a 180 on Lafayette's character from AC3 (even the real one was pretty much always for his people, especially since he became a politician in the new French government after the French Revolution), although with Abstergo tampering, Abstergo could screw around with his character to make him look worse. AC4 was tampered with apparently so why not ACU? Given that AC3 and ACU are also written by different people, Lafayette could very well get a personality shift due to the ACU author not looking at AC3 at all. >_>

Does make you wonder if Lafayette will keep his AC3 VA. I didn't even think about that. Now that the French seem to be British (if Brits are in the game, will they be French? O.o), Lafayette would look bad if he had a French accent, but we already saw him in AC3. Thinking about it, the issue ultimately is that AC3 used the Assassin's Animus. ACU uses Abstergo's. So more than likely, Lafayette will get a VA change as a result as disappointing as it is. Hope there's an explanation for the British French in the game and it's a good one. >_> Not some cop out about French accents being hard to understand or Abstergo deciding the French language sucks (I'm well aware Ubisoft has offices in Canada and France) or it being a design decision. AC2/ACB used Italian accents so there's no excuse for ACU. :rolleyes:

We are not at Abstergo in ACU.

pacmanate
06-30-2014, 06:29 PM
Just cause hes a bad guy doesnt mean he is a Templar, so the assassins would have no reason to go after him.

JustPlainQuirky
06-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Assassins don't exclusively attack templars.

Pretty sure they've killed people who werent templars before.

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 06:32 PM
pretty sure that Altair didn't even know his targets were Templars at first.

pacmanate
06-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Assassins don't exclusively attack templars.

Pretty sure they've killed people who werent templars before.

Who?

Reptilis91
06-30-2014, 06:44 PM
He didn't want to take part in the chaos and the violence, that dosn't mean he is an oppressor, he was just trying to do his job: preserving peace in the city. although the champs de Mars massacre was a mistake.

And don't forget in ACU the ennemies will be templars who manipulated the revolution and created the Reign of Terror (the Mountain group basically). Surely not Lafayette who was in the Feuillants group. (constitutional monarchy supporters)

He thought keeping the king on the throne and establishing a constitutional monarchy was the best solution for France to avoid chaos (and he was right) but at this time the Montagnards were too powerful, so Lafayette was just friend with the royal family in people's minds.

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Who?

Savonrola and his followers weren't Templars

the people who kidnapped Leonardo

pacmanate
06-30-2014, 07:00 PM
Savonrola and his followers weren't Templars

the people who kidnapped Leonardo

Well Savonrola doesn't count, he wasnt a Templar but he stole the PoE from Ezio and was corrupting people, it warranted a death.

Again with people that kidnapped Leo, sure they werent Tempars, but if someone kidnaps your friend, could torture them, they will die.

But again, they weren't MAIN targets, they made themselves targets

JustPlainQuirky
06-30-2014, 07:07 PM
@pac

And shooting at unarmed civilians doesnt warrent death in the assassin's eyes?

And I doubt Lafayette would be a MAIN target either

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Assassins don't just target Templars, they target key people who need to die in order to allow for peace and freedom.

pacmanate
06-30-2014, 07:19 PM
@pac

And shooting at unarmed civilians doesnt warrent death in the assassin's eyes?

And I doubt Lafayette would be a MAIN target either

Thats up to you if you want to shoot unarmed civillians

Assassins don't just target Templars, they target key people who need to die in order to allow for peace and freedom.

All targets in AC games have been Templars or had associations.

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 07:26 PM
but that doesn't mean that the Assassins only target Templars

pacmanate
06-30-2014, 07:35 PM
but that doesn't mean that the Assassins only target Templars

I know... you are making no sense, lets read this conversation

Mayrice - "Pretty sure they've killed people who werent templars"
Pac - "Who?"
Jexx - "Assassins don't just target Templars, they target key people who need to die in order to allow for peace and freedom."
Pac - "All targets in AC games have been Templars or had associations"
Jexx - "but that doesn't mean that the Assassins only target Templars"

Your last post makes no sense, as I never said they don't kill just Templars. I said they haven't killed anyone who wasnt a Templar in an AC game before in response to Mayrices "pretty sure they've killed people who weren't Templars".

Stop confusing yourself.

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 07:39 PM
you obviously missed my post about Savanrola and the guys who kidnapped Leonardo then...

Shahkulu101
06-30-2014, 07:41 PM
The assassins kill people they deem asshats and Templars fall into that category.

There's no rule that they can only kill Templars, as Jexx said he stopped Savonarola who was actually an enemy of the Templars...

JustPlainQuirky
06-30-2014, 07:44 PM
Nothing is true, Everything is permited. :p

pacmanate
06-30-2014, 07:46 PM
you obviously missed my post about Savanrola and the guys who kidnapped Leonardo then...

You missed my post when I said they weren't direct targets. They made themselves targets, 1 by stealing a PoE that Assassins and Templars fight over, and 2, kidnapping an Assassin Mentors friend.

Hans684
06-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Nothing is true, Everything is permited. :p

Thinking what I like, and acting how I please.

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 07:52 PM
You missed my post when I said they weren't direct targets. They made themselves targets, 1 by stealing a PoE that Assassins and Templars fight over, and 2, kidnapping an Assassin Mentors friend.

doesn't mean that they weren't targets..

pacmanate
06-30-2014, 08:00 PM
doesn't mean that they weren't targets..

They were not targets to ensue freedom.

Sav - Stole the apple, they needed it back
Leos Kidnappers - Well, they kidnapped him.

Farlander1991
06-30-2014, 09:53 PM
They were not targets to ensue freedom.

Savanarolla was, though. He used the Apple to control the minds of people, taking him out was not only to return the artifact, but to ensure people get their free will back.

pacmanate
06-30-2014, 10:36 PM
Savanarolla was, though. He used the Apple to control the minds of people, taking him out was not only to return the artifact, but to ensure people get their free will back.

I guess, but he stole it first.

SixKeys
06-30-2014, 11:13 PM
*Savonarola

ze_topazio
06-30-2014, 11:34 PM
The Assassins kill anyone that dare standing on their way, kind of like the Templars, heroes this days...

pacmanate
06-30-2014, 11:50 PM
*Savonarola

saveloy

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/159/390391023_cfcdf07fcf_m.jpg

and chips

Calvarok
07-01-2014, 05:14 AM
I don't think the assassins would take such a hardline stance to a situation that seems as complicated as that. sounds like the crowd was becoming violent, and at a certain point there really isn't anything you can do if you want to survive. Assassins have killed many people with no connection to conspiracy of any sort simply because they would have hurt their goals if they didn't kill them. guards and soldiers aren't pure evil or something, they're just people who signed on for a steady job and some room and board, and maybe because they actually care about protecting their city or country. Sure, some of them aren't very nice, but you're not justified in murder just because someone isn't very nice. Appreciate that the guards in Unity are shown as blue on eagle vision, and are portrayed more nobly compared to the "oppressor" faction.

DumbGamerTag94
07-01-2014, 04:01 PM
As for the argument about targets that weren't Templars. There have been several.

Savonarola-AC2

Hermeticists-ACB

Tarik-ACR

Benjamin Church-AC3(no longer a Templar when you kill him)

Connor's friend-AC3

Laurens Prinz-AC4

Charles Vane-AC4

Bartholomew Roberts-AC4(pretty much the games main villain and he's not a Templar)

DumbGamerTag94
07-01-2014, 04:37 PM
As for Lafayette as an oppressor......I HIGHLY HIGHLY VERY HIGHLY doubt that. Mainly because Lafayette was one of the few rational people involved in the French Revolution. He was not a royalist either. He supported a republican government. But wanted to see a peaceful transition and establish the Republic by peaceful democratic action just like the Americans had done. Lafayette was very inspired by the US's model. They had been the only place to truly change their form of government without killing all opposition or devolving into Chaos(like the French rev). They were also able to completely change ruling factions in 1800 when Thomas Jefferson became president without chaos ensuing as well. Lafayette wanted things in France to go that route.

So he supported the people but stood firm against radicalism(which is one of the rumored themes of ACU). Which leads me to believe he will be a close friend to Arno(even closer than to Connor) or become an Assassin himself.

When he ordered that crowd to be dealt with he had already attempted several times to disperse it peacefully. But the people were like mad dogs after blood. So he had no choice but to prevent an all out riot again(like had happened at the Bastille). Which could have lead to all out civil war and mob violence(which eventually happened when Lafayette was removed from National Guard Commander). He allowed for those civilians to die because he most likely felt it would save less blood from being spilt in the long run. He cared more for France than any of the radicals like Robespierre or Napoleon. Even when the Americans offered him a chance to be governor of Louisiana when things in France had gotten out of hand. Lafayette rejected the offer because he felt duty to France(and his wife was I'll)

But just because Lafayette is such a beacon for rationalism peace and justice and because he already associated with Assassins in AC3 I think he will either be a close friend or become one of the assassins. I would not be surprised if in the game we help smuggle him out of France after Robespierre branded him a traitor(only to be captured by Austrians). And we will probably see his return to France due to Napoleons negotiations to free him(could the Assassins have influenced Napoleon to release him? Square a debt with Napoleon maybe?) because Napoleon didn't like Lafayette and wanted him to leave France or swear to stay in obscurity historically after Lafayette returned. So it doesn't really make much sense that he had him released. So the Assassins influenced this maybe?

pacmanate
07-01-2014, 06:05 PM
As for the argument about targets that weren't Templars. There have been several.

Savonarola-AC2

Hermeticists-ACB

Tarik-ACR

Benjamin Church-AC3(no longer a Templar when you kill him)

Connor's friend-AC3

Laurens Prinz-AC4

Charles Vane-AC4

Bartholomew Roberts-AC4(pretty much the games main villain and he's not a Templar)

Was talking about main targets, but DM, that convos over.

Also AC4 doesnt count as Edward wasnt an Assassin.
Connors friend wasn't a target
Benjamin Church WAS a templar anyway so already did his dirty work
Tarik was thought to have association with Byzantines
Hermeticists in ACB stole Ezios BFFE
Savonarola stole a PoE

steveeire
07-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Edward was an Assassin, albeit he had a brief tenure as one.

pacmanate
07-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Edward was an Assassin, albeit he had a brief tenure as one.

He wasn't an Assassin until he got the rope darts. Even then I don't think he properly was, someone (forget who) asked if he would come back to the Assassins and he said yes though.

Farlander1991
07-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Also AC4 doesnt count as Edward wasnt an Assassin.

Prins was a target of the Assassins (he was a target even before striking deal with Templars about Roberts). We killed him as a deal/favour for the Assassins.
Roberts was a target after Edward becomes an Assassin ;)

steveeire
07-01-2014, 06:57 PM
I agree he wasn't one till then, but he did become one and it was Anne Bonny that he had that discussion with.

GunnerGalactico
07-01-2014, 07:10 PM
As for Lafayette as an oppressor......I HIGHLY HIGHLY VERY HIGHLY doubt that. Mainly because Lafayette was one of the few rational people involved in the French Revolution. He was not a royalist either. He supported a republican government. But wanted to see a peaceful transition and establish the Republic by peaceful democratic action just like the Americans had done. Lafayette was very inspired by the US's model. They had been the only place to truly change their form of government without killing all opposition or devolving into Chaos(like the French rev). They were also able to completely change ruling factions in 1800 when Thomas Jefferson became president without chaos ensuing as well. Lafayette wanted things in France to go that route.

So he supported the people but stood firm against radicalism(which is one of the rumored themes of ACU). Which leads me to believe he will be a close friend to Arno(even closer than to Connor) or become an Assassin himself.

When he ordered that crowd to be dealt with he had already attempted several times to disperse it peacefully. But the people were like mad dogs after blood. So he had no choice but to prevent an all out riot again(like had happened at the Bastille). Which could have lead to all out civil war and mob violence(which eventually happened when Lafayette was removed from National Guard Commander). He allowed for those civilians to die because he most likely felt it would save less blood from being spilt in the long run. He cared more for France than any of the radicals like Robespierre or Napoleon. Even when the Americans offered him a chance to be governor of Louisiana when things in France had gotten out of hand. Lafayette rejected the offer because he felt duty to France(and his wife was I'll)

But just because Lafayette is such a beacon for rationalism peace and justice and because he already associated with Assassins in AC3 I think he will either be a close friend or become one of the assassins. I would not be surprised if in the game we help smuggle him out of France after Robespierre branded him a traitor(only to be captured by Austrians). And we will probably see his return to France due to Napoleons negotiations to free him(could the Assassins have influenced Napoleon to release him? Square a debt with Napoleon maybe?) because Napoleon didn't like Lafayette and wanted him to leave France or swear to stay in obscurity historically after Lafayette returned. So it doesn't really make much sense that he had him released. So the Assassins influenced this maybe?

Totally agree with this. I just cannot picture Lafayette being an antagonist. For the most part, he did act rationally. However, I think that Robespierre seems like the type of person who will be an oppressor.

DumbGamerTag94
07-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Totally agree with this. I just cannot picture Lafayette being an antagonist. For the most part, he did act rationally. However, I think that Robespierre seems like the type of person who will be an oppressor.

Yeah I would definitely say Robespierre will be a baddy. For a few reasons. One because in the single player demo Arno refers to a group of revolutionaries as "Robespierre's thugs". And the fact that he and his Jacobins are the ones responsible for the "reign of terror". This all mixed with the fact that he was a major political rival or Lafayette and pretty much his polar opposite(Lafayette pursuing peaceful transition and democracy. Robespierre advocating radical violent revolution and executing dissenters). He makes for a natural antagonist and will most likely be a sadistic power monger like the Borgia, but be more strong in convictions and ideals(to a radical extent) like the Templars of AC3.

JustPlainQuirky
07-01-2014, 10:06 PM
I don't think Lafayette will be full blown evil either.

Just theorizing that his command to fire at the civilians may harm his relationship with the assassins, even if temporarily.

I-Like-Pie45
07-01-2014, 10:09 PM
its all for the greater good

DumbGamerTag94
07-01-2014, 10:26 PM
I don't think Lafayette will be full blown evil either.

Just theorizing that his command to fire at the civilians may harm his relationship with the assassins, even if temporarily.

Oh it probably will be frowned upon at first. Just as it hurt his popularity with the people at the time. But like the people of France in time they will come to understand that what he did was for the best and was well intended. Not to mention that he tried the non violent approach.

And besides the assassins probably won't care because there whole philosophy is pretty much the deaths of a few to improve the lives of many. And it's not like those crows are innocent angry citizens like at Boston either. These crowds were after blood. I mean just look what they did to the marquis in the co op trailer or at the Bastille a short while before Lafayette's "massacre". These crowds were a far cry from peaceful protestors lol. You'd be hard pressed to call them "innocent civilians".

I would be surprised if the assassins would be upset over it. And if they are they won't be too tore up about it.

JustPlainQuirky
07-01-2014, 10:32 PM
I may have this wrong but im pretty sure that event is what sparked the french revolution.

the citizens werent that brutal beforehand

so yeah the crowd was just as innocent

DumbGamerTag94
07-01-2014, 10:51 PM
I may have this wrong but im pretty sure that event is what sparked the french revolution.

the citizens werent that brutal beforehand

so yeah the crowd was just as innocent

Well the change of government began when the King ordered the meeting of the National Convention. The same day Lafayette was elected as one of the leaders of the National Assembly the citizens stormed the Bastille. Then Lafayette was appointed head of the national guard. And the massacre was several weeks/months after that. So the mobs had already been absurdly violent by that point before he fired on the crowd. The revolution began officially when the Bastille fell. And unofficially before that when the assembly was formed

And the co op demo where they cut off the marquis and his guests heads and carry them around on stakes was 1789. The same year the Bastille fell and the "massacre" Lafayette ordered. The crowds were VERY VERY far from innocent

JustPlainQuirky
07-01-2014, 11:19 PM
the crowd wasnt IMMEDIETLEY violent when the government changed. Pissed off, but not super duper kill violent.

At least thats not what the documentaries i watched said

im not a historian so...

DumbGamerTag94
07-01-2014, 11:51 PM
the crowd wasnt IMMEDIETLEY violent when the government changed. Pissed off, but not super duper kill violent.

At least thats not what the documentaries i watched said

im not a historian so...

They weren't violent when the National Assembly was in session originally. After they had drafted the declaration of rights of man and the citizen they began the process of transitioning the government toward democracy....at this point for all intents and purposes France was a constitutional monarchy like Britain.

The National Assembly was the body that would assume control of government and the National Guard was created to keep the peace and enforce these new laws. Lafayette was chosen as the head of this temporary revolutionary army which answered to the assembly and not the King.

That same day he was elected to lead the guard. A mob of people who felt things were moving to slow or wanted to have a full republic NOW(mainly Robespierre's sympathizers)stormed the Bastille(and brutally killed a lot of people) see the ACU cinematic trailer for this.

Then the national guard spent it's time diffusing riots and mobs. And then Lafayette had his little face off with them. And after he was removed(for an unrelated event where the King almost escaped the country) and went off with the regular army the Jacbins gained in power removed the King from the picture and mob rule began.

Lafayette was only trying to keep that from happening and under control. As soon as he was removed from the picture everything went to **** lol

I-Like-Pie45
07-02-2014, 12:40 AM
Lafayette, Assassin mon ami

la-gamine
07-02-2014, 04:28 AM
Actually there is some controversy about who exactly ordered the shot on the crowd during the Champ de Mars massacre. Some sources say Lafayette others say it was Bailly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SP4iii_THQ 2:08:10. I personally think him ordering to fire upon the people is against his character but who knows. I hope they keep Lafayette on the "good" side and him as a secret assassin would make him that much more badass. However they portray him I'm hoping for more of an appearance than in AC3, can't get enough of this guy.

DumbGamerTag94
07-02-2014, 06:42 AM
Haha yeah he's basically the bad *** of the 18th century. I mean how many people can claim to be major influential actors on two sides of the globe? He's like THE universal good guy in the US and France(second really only to George Washington in the US(who he had a father son relationship with practically Lafayette even named his son after Washington). I think it would be really strange if he was portrayed as a bad guy considering his level of high regard in the histories of both countries

Jexx21
07-02-2014, 07:37 AM
I want to have Lafayettes babies.

JustPlainQuirky
07-03-2014, 07:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKE9MiGNZuw&list=UUbcTaA_JTd5gVgARuPfMS_w

This girl is totally going to be an assassin.

She assassinated someone for pete's sake. :p

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-03-2014, 07:54 PM
That just may please the hardcore feminists complaining about "no female characters" in the game :p

JustPlainQuirky
07-03-2014, 08:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srqHJA9N9K0&list=UUbcTaA_JTd5gVgARuPfMS_w&index=33

Edit: Just finished the video. I change my mind. @-@ He kind of became a target and died brutally. he sounds like villain material

Landruner
07-03-2014, 08:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKE9MiGNZuw&list=UUbcTaA_JTd5gVgARuPfMS_w

Marat, she assassinated Marat while taking a bath.

GunnerGalactico
07-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Of course Robespierre is gonna be in Unity, he is synonymous with the French Revolution and the Reign of Terror. He is most likely to be the type of character that starts of as good, then falls from grace. His actions might have indirectly helped the Templar cause or he secretly is one. That is just my theory.

JustPlainQuirky
07-03-2014, 08:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_W46tZTuOM&list=UUbcTaA_JTd5gVgARuPfMS_w&index=26

I almost feel bad for Marie Antoinette. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaUH3i7gdck&list=UUbcTaA_JTd5gVgARuPfMS_w&index=24

This guy has his hand in his shirt. Maybe he also has a piece of eden? :rolleyes:

He's not really involved in the revolution, but he was involved during Napoleon's later rulings. So maybe he could be in Unity 2.

HDinHB
07-03-2014, 09:04 PM

While not all assassins are Assassins, she might be a good candidate. I like how she planned to assassinate him in public to make an example. I had never heard that she was autopsied to see if she was a virgin. Crazy times.

I can't hear Rochambeau without thinking of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcVI64IbkIs&feature=kp

JustPlainQuirky
07-03-2014, 09:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTnVm53iseo&list=UUbcTaA_JTd5gVgARuPfMS_w&index=19

I think the rivaling party mentioned at 2:40 may be made up of templars :rolleyes:

heck the party itself sounds like it's made up of templars.

and oh my gosh even priests are being executed

the relligion of the supreme being sounds like juno worship :rolleyes:

yeah rospierre or however you spell it is def gonna be the big baddie templar :p

And Lafayette will be a neutral dude i suspect.

And charolette corday an assassin.

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news-700/Assassin-s-Creed-Unity-Gets-Leaked-Artwork-Showing-Protagonist-Main-Cast.jpg

I say the lady there is Charolette

LoyalACFan
07-03-2014, 09:40 PM
All targets in AC games have been Templars or had associations.

Bartholomew Roberts didn't.

marvelfannumber
07-03-2014, 10:03 PM
yeah rospierre or however you spell it is def gonna be the big baddie templar :p

Well good ol' Maxie was already mentioned by name during some of Arno's self narration in the singleplayer demo, and apperantly has his own faction in the game.

He does make for a very good villian though, let's hope they actually explain why he goes completely nuts and don't do what they did with Charles Lee (what happened to good ol' Charlie anyway? He used to be so nice).

JustPlainQuirky
07-03-2014, 10:08 PM
I was hoping Maxie would be an assassin. Since he seemed all about the people.

I could totally see them pulling a Al Mualim thing and make him turn out to be a templar who wanted power and control.

I really doubt templars will be painted as the good guys this time. Aside from maybe some clergy men

marvelfannumber
07-03-2014, 10:14 PM
I was hoping Maxie would be an assassin. Since he seemed all about the people.

I could totally see them pulling a Al Mualim thing and make him turn out to be a templar who wanted power and control.

I really doubt templars will be painted as the good guys this time. Aside from maybe some clergy men

Well they could either do the Al Mualim thing or they could have him be an assassin who gets corrupted by a POE, which maybe Napoleon could steal or find later. I mean alot of people at the time thought that he thought of himself as a god with the whole Cult of the Supreme Being wierdness (hope that gets depicted in the game somehow)

Though like the American Revolution the French Revolution is still very debated, so I think the Templars may be painted a bit more like they were in AC3. Plus you gotta remember the revolution originally called for a constitusional monarchy, so I don't see them being like the Borgias again (hopefully, I really don't want more Borgia style Templars).

JustPlainQuirky
07-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Dang it. I was hoping there would be an assassin who is just an extremist in his ideals for freedom. So we can kill someone who actually believes in the creed. Not someone who was brainwashed or switched sides :(

But you have a point

pacmanate
07-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Bartholomew Roberts didn't.

Gr, I've said many times MAIN targets, and Edward wasn't an Assassin nor does he ever become one.

Jexx21
07-03-2014, 11:53 PM
Edward becomes an Assassin in the game, it's when he gets the rope dart. He was also clearly an Assassin in Forsaken.

Also I'm pretty sure that Roberts was a main target.

rickprog
07-04-2014, 12:16 AM
I always thought Edward became and Assassin when he returned to England since he never went through the initiation or got told by a Master Assassin/Mentor that he was officially a member of the order during the game.

Also, I think Lafayette will be an ally. Perhaps not an Assassin, but he already has ties with the order. After what he did, though, they could break bonds with him, just like Connor did with Washington. Or the civilians who started protesting could be a manipulated faction, for all we know.

pacmanate
07-04-2014, 12:43 AM
Edward becomes an Assassin in the game, it's when he gets the rope dart. He was also clearly an Assassin in Forsaken.

Also I'm pretty sure that Roberts was a main target.

Thats your opinion... how is giving someone a rope dart = You are now an Assassin? It was no implied at all, it was just something to aid saving Tulum from invasion.

Calvarok
07-04-2014, 12:49 AM
Thats your opinion... how is giving someone a rope dart = You are now an Assassin? It was no implied at all, it was just something to aid saving Tulum from invasion.
it's not about the actual act of giving the rope dart. when he visited the HQ at that time he was more open to the Assassin teachings and had a discussion about the creed with the Mentor. Then he handed him the rope dart and the invasion began.

But of course that didn't make him an Assassin. Darby said he wasn't an Assassin til the very end of the game. Because you can still pillage ships up until the very last mission. He's a pirate, though obviously in that last portion of the story he's a pirate working for the assassins.

and then when you're put back in the open world that's just a non-canon retread of the time when he was still a pirate.

Jexx21
07-04-2014, 02:05 AM
eh, I took it more by the fact that the Assassin logo was now on the black flag after we got the rope darts.

LoyalACFan
07-04-2014, 02:17 AM
Gr, I've said many times MAIN targets, and Edward wasn't an Assassin nor does he ever become one.

Roberts WAS a main target. Whether Edward was an actual Assassin at that point is debatable, but Ah Tabai definitely told him to take out Roberts, Torres, and Rogers, only two of whom were Templars.

JustPlainQuirky
07-04-2014, 04:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEq_lAx3ssE

AAAAND I just finished the video. Woo for getting educated on history! No doubt Ubi will make the "Festival of the Supreme Being" a reference to the first civ. And Rospier (or however you spell it) will become the templar final baddie. And Charolette Corday will be an assassin. I'm 100% convinced now.

I still think Lafayette will play a minor role, but considering how busy this revolution is, I somehow doubt Connor could make a cameo.

Shahkulu101
07-04-2014, 04:55 AM
Why is my heart set on a Connor cameo? :(

This isn't rational, Shahk. Think sense...don't let yourself get disappointed.

JustPlainQuirky
07-04-2014, 05:05 AM
Conceal don't feel don't let them know~ :rolleyes:

I-Like-Pie45
07-04-2014, 06:05 AM
Why is my heart set on a Connor cameo? :(

This isn't rational, Shahk. Think sense...don't let yourself get disappointed.

just remember shak...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YrXY4isgLs

itsamea-mario
07-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Well, he is french..