PDA

View Full Version : Hunchback of Notre Dame in AC: UNITY

chanutpunno
06-28-2014, 07:08 AM
I have just watched Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame today, great movie I love it. The setting of the film was in Paris, France first of all, cuz it's the Notre Dame, obliousvy! AC: Unity is also going to be in Paris! What really hit me was that Quasimodo (the Hunchback of Notre Dame himself) who lived on top of the Notre dame, Had Maaaad Climbin skillz Even Controlled Descent!! I think Unity devs should put an easter egg in Unity about him or maybe have him be part of the creed LOL.:D:D

LoyalACFan
06-28-2014, 07:16 AM
An Easter Egg would be funny. Maybe an Assassin who got wracked up from falling off the roof :p They couldn't get carried away though, as the hunchback is trademarked to Victor Hugo's estate, I would think.

Sushiglutton
06-28-2014, 08:14 AM
It's an amazing movie imo, I love it too, more than I want to admit . The first 5 minutes are crazy good and the Heaven's light/Hell's fire part is musical epic emotions at its best ;)! The Hunchback lived in medieval Paris, so I don't think it would sense to have in in the game. But an easter egg as part of the thousand stories of Paris would be most welcome!

king-hailz
06-28-2014, 08:24 AM
You do know that the Hunchback was based on a real hunchback who worked on the notre dame after it had been destroyed DURING THE FRENCH REVOLUTION!!!! So he did live then... and we have a high chance of seeing him!!!

marvelfannumber
06-28-2014, 08:28 AM
You do know that the Hunchback was based on a real hunchback who worked on the notre dame after it had been destroyed DURING THE FRENCH REVOLUTION!!!! So he did live then... and we have a high chance of seeing him!!!

No the cathedral wasn't destroyed, that would be a massive feat of 18th century technology if they were even close to accomposhing that. It was vandalized to hell though:

http://i.imgur.com/1ydvDrG.jpg

Fun fact, around the time that picture (1840's) was taken there reputetly was a sale for the stones of the cathedral and the buyer had come on site to use it as a quarry but it never got anywhere luckily.

Also yes there was reputetly a man who was rather hunched over and ugly who worked with the organ, but that was in the 1850s and the french revolution was in the 1790s.

However I would like a cameo like this to be present in the game (considering the hunchback in the book lived in the 1400's), that would be kinda cute.

Excerpt from the book by Victor Hugo:

"A few years ago while visiting, or rather rummaging about Notre Dame, the author of this book found, in an obscure nook of one of the towers, the following word engraved by hand upon the wall: ANArK.

These Greek capitals, black with age and quite deeply graven into the stone....

....as though with the purpose of revealling that it had been a hand of the middle ages which had inscribed them there, and especially the fatal and melancholy meaning contained in them struck the author deeply.

He questioned himself; He saught to divine who could have been that soul in torment, which had not been able to quit this world without leaving this stigma of crime or unhapiness upon the brow of the ancient church.

Afterwards the wall was whitewashed or scraped down, I know not which, and the inscription dissapeared."

Locopells
06-28-2014, 09:17 AM
In before some starts singing The Bell of Notre Dame...

And I would totally be up for a rope swing from the tower, or some other Hunchback Easter Egg.

That and one for The Phantom of the Opera...

roostersrule2
06-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Maybe he is a POE?

The Hunchback of Eden.

Shahkulu101
06-28-2014, 09:26 AM
Maybe he is a POE?

The Hunchback of Eden.

Holds the power to disgust any living creature within close proximity into fatal vomiting. Useful for hunting and assassinating.

Assassin_M
06-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Holds the power to disgust any living creature within close proximity into fatal vomiting. Useful for hunting and assassinating.
i knew it, you're a girl

marvelfannumber
06-28-2014, 09:31 AM
Maybe he is a POE?

The Hunchback of Eden.

God people already discrimate against him enough, now you're going to treat him like an object? (no pun intended)

Shahkulu101
06-28-2014, 09:35 AM
i knew it, you're a girl

How did you come to that conclusion...heheh...what a silly insinuation lol... *wipes beads of sweat from forehead*

Megas_Doux
06-28-2014, 05:15 PM
It would be cool as an easter egg!!!! But ubi tend to miss those chances, there could have been a lot in AC IV.

You what I want to see???? Anything related to The Man in the Iron Mask.

Xstantin
06-28-2014, 05:33 PM
They could put something in the database info for Notre Dame (there was something about Moby D in AC4's "white whale" entry as far as I remember).

marvelfannumber
06-28-2014, 05:35 PM
You what I want to see???? Anything related to The Man in the Iron Mask.

Ahw yeah, finally someone bring up The Man in the Iron Mask, I would love to see him as either a character or atleast as a cameo. I can't believe so many people want a Les Miserables reference (which does not make any sense because it is in a different time period), but so many people neglect him.

They could put something in the database info for Notre Dame (there was something about Moby D in AC4's "white whale" entry as far as I remember).

That was super lame in AC4 though, if it were me I would either have "ANArK" etched into one of the walls of Notre Dame (it's next gen, it's possible) or have him get some kind of clever in-game cameo like the Giant Squid in AC4.

guardian_titan
06-28-2014, 05:54 PM
The real Beauty and the Beast lived in Paris, too, but a while before the Revolution. They died in Italy after having their four daughters (out of 7 kids, the other 3 were sons) taken and given to various nobility as gifts because they too were hairy. The sons were normal. Think the Beast died around 1517 or something like that. His wife died some years later after the two were married for something over 50 years.

As real as the Hunchback (and the Beast) are, frankly, I don't see Ubisoft doing a reference to either outside of maybe an odd quest title referencing them or overhearing a conversation regarding a hunchback in Notre Dame (that people possibly mistake Arno for).

I'd have to question of much of a hunchback Quasimodo really was, though. Richard III was often portrayed as such, but since we found his skeleton, we realized he wasn't a hunchback because his spine curved sideways, not out. Only evidence to those not looking at his spine would have been one shoulder a bit higher than the other. So was Quasimodo really a hunchback or did he look largely normal and were people just being vicious? I'd bet more on the latter. If someone's different even if it's only slightly, people attach onto that one detail and morph it into something far worse. Richard III wasn't a hunchback but his enemies morphed him into one and the idea stuck centuries later until the truth was finally revealed. The Beast was just a hairy Spaniard suffering from a lot of hair due to a mutation on his X chromosome (hence why his daughters got it and not his sons) and not an animal, but people often treated him as an animal because of his amount of hair. Chances are Quasimodo was as normal looking as anyone else although possibly a bit slow in the head (maybe had Downs Syndrome or something and scoliosis of the spine), but because he was often kept locked up, people assumed he looked far worse.

After writing that, frankly, I don't want a Hunchback (or Beast) reference at all because it will likely just be insulting. There's not really any way Ubisoft can spin either reference to be good.

Locopells
06-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Ahw yeah, finally someone bring up The Man in the Iron Mask, I would love to see him as either a character or atleast as a cameo. I can't believe so many people want a Les Miserables reference (which does not make any sense because it is in a different time period), but so many people neglect him.

Well, there's parallels that can be drawn with Les Mis, hence the enthusiasm.

Another one for you, is the obvious one I suggested back at the reveal of co-op - Three Musketeers...

marvelfannumber
06-28-2014, 06:02 PM
After writing that, frankly, I don't want a Hunchback (or Beast) reference at all because it will likely just be insulting. There's not really any way Ubisoft can spin either reference to be good.

Oh my god lol, can't say anything about Beast, but Quasimodo was not a real person. He originated in a novel written by Victor Hugo, sure his apperance was reputably based on someone who worked on the cathedral during the time Victor Hugo lived, but to say it would be insulting is down right silly.

Edit:
I found this while attempting to vertify my claims on the matter:

"In August 2010 Adrian Glew, a Tate archivist, announced evidence for a real-life Quasimodo, a "humpbacked [stone] carver" who worked at Notre Dame during the 1820s. The evidence is contained in the memoirs of Henry Sibson, a 19th-century British sculptor who worked at Notre Dame at around the same time Hugo wrote the novel. Sibson describes a humpbacked stonemason working there:

"He was the carver under the Government sculptor whose name I forget as I had no interaction with him, all that I know is that he was humpbacked and he did not like to mix with carvers." Because Victor Hugo had close links with the restoration of the cathedral it is likely he was aware of the unnamed "humpbacked carver" nicknamed "Le Bossu" (French for "The Hunchback"), who oversaw "Monsieur Trajin"

Yeah, this "Le Bossu" barely has any similarities to Quasimodo, other than being a hunchback and being in Notre Dame at some point.

Megas_Doux
06-28-2014, 06:53 PM

Well Les Miserables is set in 1815, about 25 years after the game, whereas the Man in the Iron mask "lived" during later years of the XVII century, about 100 years before the French Revolution, so Les miserables is closer haha :P

I like the Main in the Iron Mask better, though.

JustPlainQuirky
06-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Shahk is a woman? :eek:

Join the club :cool:

On topic:

would be interesting to see him in there as a side mission. But I hope it's not silly.

marvelfannumber
06-28-2014, 06:57 PM
so Les miserables is closer haha :P

Yes but what I meant was that having a reference to a past event in french history (already have it in the game with Nostradamus) makes more sense than having a reference to a future event

ze_topazio
06-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Man in the iron mask could be a tomb mystery.

Shahkulu101
06-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Shahk is a woman? :eek:

Join the club :cool:

On topic:

would be interesting to see him in there as a side mission. But I hope it's not silly.

I am NOT a woman, Mayrice. :p

I agree, would be cool to climb up the Notre Dame and spot the hunchback ringing the bell - maybe more of an Easter egg than a side mission.

Ureh
06-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Yes yes! Something really alarming and fleeting (like the squid easter egg). Like we see silhouettes and shifting shadows... then we catch a brief glimpse of him. Then all the bells go ding **** ding **** simultaneously. Then silence.

Hans684
06-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Yes yes! Something really alarming and fleeting (like the squid easter egg). Like we see silhouettes and shifting shadows... then we catch a brief glimpse of him. Then all the bells go ding **** ding **** simultaneously. Then silence.

After the silence he knocks Arno out and escapes.

Ureh
06-28-2014, 10:02 PM
After the silence he knocks Arno out and escapes.

Yeah! Good one. And then we wake up with all of our ammo gone and he's wearing Arno's robes.

http://images.static-bluray.com/reviews/7650_1.jpg

marvelfannumber
06-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Yeah! Good one. And then we wake up with all of our ammo gone and he's wearing Arno's robes.

http://images.static-bluray.com/reviews/7650_1.jpg

And then he is all like

"Hey man have this Hook Blade, you can use it on these ropes"

And then Arno is like

"How did you find this you wierdo?"

And then Quasi is like

"Ehm, it's a souvenir?"

Quasi was later found dead on the ground with the assassin symbol etched into his forehead

Legendz54
06-29-2014, 12:38 AM
It's an amazing movie imo, I love it too, more than I want to admit . The first 5 minutes are crazy good and the Heaven's light/Hell's fire part is musical epic emotions at its best ;)! The Hunchback lived in medieval Paris, so I don't think it would sense to have in in the game. But an easter egg as part of the thousand stories of Paris would be most welcome!

Watching hellfire as a kid: Gosh this guy really hates her...

Watching hellfire as an adult: Ok this is just wrong...

HDinHB
06-29-2014, 03:42 AM
Another one for you, is the obvious one I suggested back at the reveal of co-op - Three Musketeers...

Back when the French Revolution was just a rumor, I thought a musketeer-era AC could be good. Richelieu would make a great Templar. BBC American just started playing the BBC's Musketeers, and their French accent is more like working-class London.

Maybe we will meet Dumas' father, who served in the French Army.