PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who wants to swim underwater in Assassin's Creed?

JustPlainQuirky
06-27-2014, 08:18 PM
I know it sounds silly but I always wanted to swim below the water in AC games. I'm not talking about the dive button where you're barely under the water. I mean you can swim towards the sea floor and see many fish and such.

I know you could swim underwater in ACIV but it was only in specific sections of the game and you couldn't interact with the surface at the same time.

I'm not saying all of the ocean should've been swimmable. That's just unrealistic and wastes tons of development time/resources. I just would like to maybe walk up to a pond, lake or river and swim deep underwater in it if I felt like it. Like in AC:3 there were plenty of times I wished I could swim below the surface but couldn't.

I don't know if I'm just being silly. What do you think? Could add some gameplay opportunities.

Though I could see if it was considered a waste of time. I think it would be a nice touch.

RinoTheBouncer
06-27-2014, 08:22 PM
I was honestly thinking about this earlier, today. I think it’s a great idea. One of the things that bothered me about ACIV was that we could dive under water and only do optional stuff. I wish they put some Piece of Eden there that we have to get or made the entrance to some First Civ. research center, underwater. It would’ve been amazing and would’ve given swimming much more importance.

WendysBrioche
06-27-2014, 08:22 PM
No, I'd definitely like that too. I hope in Unity we'll get to swim.

Uhhhg reminds me I couldn't stand how in Red Dead you couldn't even swim on the surface, they used the rivers as boarders blocking later parts of the game. So annoying. They could've least made the current too fast earlier on. Or put a dust storm in the way.

cawatrooper9
06-27-2014, 08:27 PM
I'd get behind that. I thought GTA V's swimming was decent (at least by GTA controls standards) and AC already has a "dive" button that could just be used to break the surface and alternate between above and below water swimming.
I think swimming in general could use a bit of an overhaul. As a competitive swimmer myself, I feel that Edward swam much too fast (and that's even forgiving his apparent ability to rival real-world record breath holders.)

Sushiglutton
06-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Absolutely it's a cool feature. Could mean some new ways to infiltrate and explore. That said it's probably not the best priority for a french revolution game.

JustPlainQuirky
06-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Yeah I dont expect it in Unity or anytime soon but maybe 3-4 games down the line hopefully.

WendysBrioche
06-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Absolutely it's a cool feature. Could mean some new ways to infiltrate and explore. That said it's probably not the best priority for a french revolution game.

That reminds me of that AC 2 mission in Forli where you have to swim underneath the gate to get into the city. I remember when AC 2 was first coming out people were talking about how there were going to be underwater assassinations where you grab a guard near the water and drown him. It would definitely be cool. The cliff assassination is still one of my favorites.

Aww wouldn't it be sweet to have a side mission/random event where you could rescue a drowning civilian or child like Ezio's father did for Lorenzo. :o A truly reverent Assassin. :o "When I was six years old I fell into the river Arno", -Lorenzo De'Medici

See, now I'm taking this too far... :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
06-27-2014, 08:59 PM
Rescuing drowning people would be cool.

Or finding underwater treasure or caves.

Or using as alternate paths to sneak somewhere.

Or just swimming with sea animals and maybe even hunting them.

:o

Also would give developers reason to make it so enemy AI don't immedietly die when in the water. They can swim after you. And maybe you can try to fight them underwater and *squeal*

WendysBrioche
06-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Rescuing drowning people would be cool.

They can swim after you. And maybe you can try to fight them underwater and *squeal*

They did that in AC 4. If you cliff assassinated a guard into the water they were sometimes still alive. Or something like that. No if you threw them that happened.

dxsxhxcx
06-27-2014, 11:16 PM
I believe this kind of thing is more appealing in open world games set in modern cities like GTA or Watch Dogs than Assassin's Creed, I think I finished just one or two of those underwater missions in AC4 and didn't bother to do the rest of them...

JustPlainQuirky
06-27-2014, 11:23 PM
@dx

probably because it was a hassle to sail to the diving bells.

if the water could be entered from any body of water it might be another story :p

Shahkulu101
06-27-2014, 11:35 PM
I think it would just add needles quantity in terms of the map.

I mean in GTAV there's literally no point in diving underwater unless you want to partake in a submarine fetch quest. There's no good reason for it to be there.

How would a map full of water be incorporated into an AC game to be both fun and interesting?

SHADOWGARVIN
06-27-2014, 11:45 PM
They did that in AC 4. If you cliff assassinated a guard into the water they were sometimes still alive. Or something like that. No if you threw them that happened.

Last week I cleared out one of the smuggler dens and jumped of the opening in the cliff and the guards jumped after me into the water, I climbed onto the jackdaw and killed them with my cannons. It was very funny.

cawatrooper9
06-27-2014, 11:57 PM

I mean in GTAV there's literally no point in diving underwater unless you want to partake in a submarine fetch quest. There's no good reason for it to be there.

How would a map full of water be incorporated into an AC game to be both fun and interesting?
GTAV's water was indeed very empty.
I don't know, I just thought it was cool that you had the ability to dive and swim wherever you wanted. There may not have been much of a point to it, but it still kinda blew my mind. It would have been cool to have that kind of freedom in Black Flag.

Shahkulu101
06-28-2014, 12:10 AM
Yes but I'd imagine rendering underwater landscapes would take up a lot of time unless we're talking about a map with minimal water. And if that was the case then I think I'd support the feature.

If there's a smaller underwater section it's not so big as to waste the players time, and they can pack it with quality content. That way it would feel worthwhile, rather than having the chore of swimming every length and breadth of a particular river just to find something enjoyable - and if there's a large underwater map they would need to provide a lot of stuff for try player to do. Due to time constraints this could end up being filler and lacklustre. There's also the fact that an assassin would have to have good reason to be there - Edward was hunting for booty - which made sense the player, but if you are Arno, for instance, is your thirst for wealth so large that you want to dive underwater to find riches? The only legitimate reasons I can think of for an Assassin going underwater are to find a discreet entry into an assassination area, or saving civilians who are about to drown. In which case I think having small bodies of water that are accessible to the player would make more sense than rendering the whole thing.

Maybe it's just me, but there's nothing worse in an open world than empty lifelessness.

Locopells
06-28-2014, 12:44 AM
I'd totally be behind this. Wouldn't have to be too complicated for Unity either - I imagine the Seine was pretty bland underwater, at that period of history...

SixKeys
06-28-2014, 12:46 AM
While I liked the diving in AC4 for diversity's sake, the swimming controls underwater were horrid and I don't miss them. AC4 was the best and probably only time underwater swimming really made sense storywise anyway, with water playing such a big part in the overall pirate theme. In other games I can't help but feel it would be forced. There's no reason to make every lake or river a possible diving spot if there's no reward for going underwater, so they would have to put some stupid treasure chests or collectibles in those spots. In any period where sailing and water isn't the main focus, this would be ludicrous.

pacmanate
06-28-2014, 12:48 AM
I was honestly thinking about this earlier, today. I think it’s a great idea. One of the things that bothered me about ACIV was that we could dive under water and only do optional stuff. I wish they put some Piece of Eden there that we have to get or made the entrance to some First Civ. research center, underwater. It would’ve been amazing and would’ve given swimming much more importance.

OH EM GEEE

I was convinced we would be going to the Bermuda triangle in AC3 and going to those underwater pyramids for first civ things :(

Tenvern
06-28-2014, 12:54 AM
I don't get along with fish so.. they're scary as hell.
Fish combat would be pretty cool though.

LoyalACFan
06-28-2014, 01:04 AM
After playing the hell out of AC1, Infamous, and Red Dead, it's still embedded somewhere deep in my psyche that water = failure in games. I absolutely detest falling into water when I'm playing. I have literally NEVER had fun swimming in a game later than the PS1 era. Hated it in GTA5, hated it in AC4. I think underwater swimming in particular is gimmicky, unnecessary, totally not fun, and the controls almost always suck.

But that's just me.

pacmanate
06-28-2014, 01:54 AM
Swimming in AC4 and 3 was horrible! When swimming on top it was like you were floating. And the underwater controls were just real floaty.

Its like what SuckerPunch said when they were asked if Delsin could swim. They said he wouldnt get affected by water but took swimming out as they said something along the lines of "When was the last time anyone had a good swimming experience in a game"

and he (whoever it was at the time) is right

JustPlainQuirky
06-28-2014, 01:58 AM
hmmmm trying to think of good swimming in a videogame....

shoot.

can't think of any.

though i havent played my sandbox games yet. and i feel swimming is almost expected in a sandbox game. i should try them to see if any of the swimming was good.

WendysBrioche
06-28-2014, 02:27 AM
hmmmm trying to think of good swimming in a videogame....

shoot.

can't think of any.

though i havent played my sandbox games yet. and i feel swimming is almost expected in a sandbox game. i should try them to see if any of the swimming was good.

There's classic games like Tomb Raider. Legends is the only one I've played other than the modern ones. I get the feeling if Uncharted did underwater swimming it would be great. Wait they did. Ya it was pretty good actually, but it's not sandbox which could be why its better.

I wasn't so disappointed with AC 4's underwater, I just thought it was a little overdone in the areas with rushed streams that send him at 150mph through stalagmite caves.

Sesheenku
06-28-2014, 03:18 AM
Idk, it's not too tough to just put some mapping down there and slap an appropriate texture and to do the water effects, the problem is likely how much resources it consumes.

Skyrim for example can be pretty costly with such things with ENB's on but then again their shaders are extremely clunky, beautiful to be sure but clunky and unoptimized.

Ureh
06-28-2014, 04:15 AM
Sure, if they can think of practical gameplay for it. GTA lets you dive underwater whenever you want but there wasn't really any incentive except for a few missons right? During free roam it was an easy pass, I think. Which isn't to say that the AC devs couldn't think of something better.

They're gonna make lots of buildings seamlessly accessible in Unity - for the first time - probably because a lot of gameplay will revolve around them. But there would have to be assassin-esque, parkour gameplay interwoven with the capibility to dive in at any time. A large part of the game would have to benefit from explorable bodies of water. I didn't dislike the AC4 diving missions, but I can do without them if that's all they have to offer in the future. Seamless diving sounds nice but I think there has to be a "cool" reason for us to want to swim as much as we want to climb and run in the cities.

I am really curious to see how far Witcher 3 takes their underwater parts. Maybe they'll have stuff that can work for an underwater AC game.

rickprog
06-28-2014, 04:48 AM
As many here have said, I would support the feature if it was for a good cause. For example, if it was possible to swim underwater everywhere on AC4 (which wouldn't be possible, of course, because that would be a massive waste of resources considering the map's size), I wouldn't have supported it because it would've been cubic kilometers of emptiness. But then if it was done for Unity, where I don't expect a lot of water to appear other than certain rivers, it could be cool because the few water spaces available could be used for entertaining content or practical purposes in-game.

Sesheenku
06-28-2014, 05:25 AM
Swimming in AC4 and 3 was horrible! When swimming on top it was like you were floating. And the underwater controls were just real floaty.

Its like what SuckerPunch said when they were asked if Delsin could swim. They said he wouldnt get affected by water but took swimming out as they said something along the lines of "When was the last time anyone had a good swimming experience in a game"

and he (whoever it was at the time) is right

The required weight is there in Tomb Raider, and I've played a lot of MMORPG's that have fairly good swimming too, they only lack the graphical capability and money to spend the time on top quality animations.

Locopells
06-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Yep, Tomb Raider: Underworld had a lot as well.

roostersrule2
06-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Just went swimming underwater for the first time...

Sushiglutton
06-28-2014, 11:23 AM

Getting the submarine in GTAV was more than a little anticlimactic after you realized the only thing you could do with it.

SixKeys
06-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Idk, it's not too tough to just put some mapping down there and slap an appropriate texture and to do the water effects, the problem is likely how much resources it consumes.

Lol, "it's not too tough to create an entirely new map with an entirely different type of terrain, entirely different textures, entirely different lighting and entirely different physics." :rolleyes:

But of course it's WAY too much trouble to create female skins for co-op...

Aphex_Tim
06-28-2014, 11:54 AM
It has always bothered me that swimming had absolutely no effect on your flintlock pistols... :/

SixKeys
06-28-2014, 12:18 PM
It has always bothered me that swimming had absolutely no effect on your flintlock pistols... :/

If it did, that would be limiting the possibilities of assassination techniques. I get what you mean, but I think preserving player freedom in the name of fun is more important in this case.

RinoTheBouncer
06-28-2014, 12:43 PM
OH EM GEEE

I was convinced we would be going to the Bermuda triangle in AC3 and going to those underwater pyramids for first civ things :(

That would be a great idea. I mean I know the Bermuda Triangle is more of a place we’d visit in Tomb Raider or Ancient Aliens series but I think it would be a great idea, especially if they make it in a way that it doesn’t look too magical or farfetched. Perhaps it’s the place where the last surviving First Civ. members live or maybe Atlantis? The problem with AC is that though it gives room for a lot of conspiracies and stuff that are sci-fi to the majority of us, you can’t just stuff in anything that is fictional, but I’d be happy about those.