PDA

View Full Version : Arno's Austrian Heritage?

Radman500
06-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Arno is of French and Austrian heritage

his father was French, his mother was Austrian

will Arno's Austrian heritage play a role in his characterization of Unity..... is France his home country or does he have connections to Austria.. etc.

can someone give me some historical background in the relationship between Austria and France at this time

WinterLight1981
06-27-2014, 07:53 PM
War!!!!!

ze_topazio
06-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Altair: half Christian, half Muslim
Connor: Half Mohawk, half English
Aveline: Half black, half white

Edward: half rum, half human and half pirate, half assassin
Ezio: half real noble, half fake noble and half awesome, half even more awesome

deskp
06-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Maybe hes the son of Marie Antoinette. shes Austrian. could help explain a couple mysterious father deaths.Considering Arno grows up around Versailles. maybe the queen had an affair with some villager.

WendysBrioche
06-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Arno is of French and Austrian heritage

his father was French, his mother was Austrian

will Arno's Austrian heritage play a role in his characterization of Unity..... is France his home country or does he have connections to Austria.. etc.

can someone give me some historical background in the relationship between Austria and France at this time

I think they just did it to make him cool. Who knows, there may be a reason connected to the plot, I don't know much of the history at the time but there might be.

sem1rek
06-27-2014, 08:13 PM
IMO he can have some connection to the royal family, but I higly doubt he is son of Marie Antoinette. Generally affairs involving queens were considered a treason because royal bloodline could be "contaminated". I can't imagine such a situation.

Reptilis91
06-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Maybe hes the son of Marie Antoinette. shes Austrian. could help explain a couple mysterious father deaths.Considering Arno grows up around Versailles. maybe the queen had an affair with some villager.

Arno was born in 1768, at this time Marie-Antoinette was 13... no, that would be too odd for the scenario.

Sushiglutton
06-27-2014, 08:42 PM
The fact the Arno and Marie Antoinette both are of Austrian descent will def play a role in the game in some way me thinks.

Radman500
06-27-2014, 08:45 PM
The fact the Arno and Marie Antoinette both are of Austrian descent will def play a role in the game in some way me thinks.
so is Arno's true loyalties with France or Austria

his father was French, his mother was Austrian...would chosing one side be disrespectful to the other side

what was Austria relationship with France at this time

Xstantin
06-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Parisians guillotined the "Austrian Woman" what would you think about that relationship?

marvelfannumber
06-27-2014, 08:56 PM
They were also in constant war before Louis XVI and during the revolution. Let's just say they were about as much friends with France as...well as much as France was with Britain, i.e not at all.

Sushiglutton
06-27-2014, 08:57 PM

his father was French, his mother was Austrian...would chosing one side be disrespectful to the other side

Austria actually attempted to invade France: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Revolutionary_Wars (War of the First Coalition)

LatinaC09
06-27-2014, 08:58 PM

Austria and France had a complicated relationship at this time. They were trying to get along but the tensions between the countries was still there. I believe one of the reasons Marie-Antoinette was betrothed to King Louie was to help ease the tensions between the two countries.

sem1rek
06-27-2014, 09:01 PM
European monarchies supported monarchy (and king) in France, they were against revolution. Actually France was in war with Austria for several years during revolution.

Radman500
06-27-2014, 09:03 PM
interesting, thanks guys

so we can guess that Arno being both of French and Austrian heritage will be an important plot point in the game, struggling along those lines

GunnerGalactico
06-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Austria and France had a complicated relationship at this time. They were trying to get along but the tensions between the countries was still there. I believe one of the reasons Marie-Antoinette was betrothed to King Louie was to help ease the tensions between the two countries.

You got a point there. It wasn't unusual for kings and queens to marry other people from neighbouring countries that were also of royal blood. It was usually done just so that their countries could form a treaty or an alliance. King Henry VIII married Catherine of Aragorn and Anne of Cleves for that exact reason.

cawatrooper9
06-27-2014, 09:07 PM
I thought it was just Ubi's attempt at making Arno a little more diverse. Kind of like how Edward was from the United Kingdom, but was Welsh rather than the stereotypical London accent.

HercRembrandt
06-27-2014, 10:39 PM

Yeah, this. Austria and France had a long history of enmity, including the War of Austrian Succession in the 1740s. But there were new wars, like the Seven Years War (of which the "French and Indian War" in America was a part), and desperate times call for desperate measures. So they tried to build an alliance, and marrying Marie Antoinette to the heir to the French throne seemed like a good idea. But apparently there was plenty of animosity towards Austria left in France, so she was never popular.

At least that's my uneducated guesstimate.

guardian_titan
06-28-2014, 12:27 AM
The assassins have never been related to a real person by blood. That chances Ubisoft getting some pissed relatives after them, especially if it's a well known person. Ubisoft got a lot of flak for Tyranny of King Washington because of how Washington was portrayed despite it being an alternate history. People can get really pissy when it comes to how their ancestors are portrayed.

If Arno does have a relationship with Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI, friendship is about the extent of it. At the most, Arno might be good friends with the French royals or was at least on good terms before the Revolution. Afterward, since he seems to be siding with the peasants, he must have thrown his loyalties to the wind.

Since the game seems to be largely centered in Paris, unless Arno ventures out to the Austrian border for some random 10 minute side quest, I don't see his Austrian heritage playing a part in the game. Edward was Welsh-English. How often did either play a part in AC4? He had a minor line saying he was Welsh, not English. Beyond that, he went toe to toe with the French and Spanish with little mention he wasn't one of them. Same could be said of Connor. Little mention of his native heritage outside of when you're at his village and a few odd lines about Ratonhnhaké:ton from the colonists. Same with Ezio. Once it's known (to the player anyway) that Ezio wasn't really pure nobility, not a peep afterward. And I don't recall any mention of Altair's heritage in AC1. Even with Aveline, there's little mention of her black heritage outside of her not being spat on by slaves and passing as one. Again, I don't see Arno's heritage playing a massive role beyond a mention. They likely just pulled the French-Austrian card to mirror Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette much like how Connor's British-Mohawk card mirrored the (largely ignored in AC3) fight between the settlers and Native Americans during the American Revolution. Same with Altair mirroring the conflict with the Crusades and Aveline mirroring the plight of the blacks vs the whites (which I honestly didn't see much of in AC3L).

I wouldn't look much into it. Ubisoft's not that creative when it comes to conflicts. And if they were, chances are it'd be cut for time reasons or thrown into a DLC that's like $4.99-9.99, released 3-6 months after the game came out, and equates to an hour of play time (including combat and running from X to Y). :rolleyes:

LoyalACFan
06-28-2014, 01:34 AM
Arno was born in 1768, at this time Marie-Antoinette was 13... no, that would be too odd for the scenario.

Not really. Hell, she was married at 14. It was pretty common back then. Not like they couldn't tweak it a bit though if they really needed to. I believe they aged Francesco de Pazzi a bit to allow him to have a son the same age as Ezio. Anyway, it would be pretty mindblowing if his dead stepfather whose death he felt guilty for was Louis XVI ;)

I really hope it won't happen though, because that would mean he didn't become an Assassin until after Louis' death in 1793. Plus they don't usually make the ancestors related to actual historical figures. Reminds me of when everyone thought Charles Lee was Connor's father :rolleyes: TBH though, that one was a really solid theory considering Lee's real-life Mohawk kids.

Radman500
06-28-2014, 04:04 AM
The assassins have never been related to a real person by blood. That chances Ubisoft getting some pissed relatives after them, especially if it's a well known person. Ubisoft got a lot of flak for Tyranny of King Washington because of how Washington was portrayed despite it being an alternate history. People can get really pissy when it comes to how their ancestors are portrayed.

If Arno does have a relationship with Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI, friendship is about the extent of it. At the most, Arno might be good friends with the French royals or was at least on good terms before the Revolution. Afterward, since he seems to be siding with the peasants, he must have thrown his loyalties to the wind.

Since the game seems to be largely centered in Paris, unless Arno ventures out to the Austrian border for some random 10 minute side quest, I don't see his Austrian heritage playing a part in the game. Edward was Welsh-English. How often did either play a part in AC4? He had a minor line saying he was Welsh, not English. Beyond that, he went toe to toe with the French and Spanish with little mention he wasn't one of them. Same could be said of Connor. Little mention of his native heritage outside of when you're at his village and a few odd lines about Ratonhnhaké:ton from the colonists. Same with Ezio. Once it's known (to the player anyway) that Ezio wasn't really pure nobility, not a peep afterward. And I don't recall any mention of Altair's heritage in AC1. Even with Aveline, there's little mention of her black heritage outside of her not being spat on by slaves and passing as one. Again, I don't see Arno's heritage playing a massive role beyond a mention. They likely just pulled the French-Austrian card to mirror Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette much like how Connor's British-Mohawk card mirrored the (largely ignored in AC3) fight between the settlers and Native Americans during the American Revolution. Same with Altair mirroring the conflict with the Crusades and Aveline mirroring the plight of the blacks vs the whites (which I honestly didn't see much of in AC3L).

I wouldn't look much into it. Ubisoft's not that creative when it comes to conflicts. And if they were, chances are it'd be cut for time reasons or thrown into a DLC that's like $4.99-9.99, released 3-6 months after the game came out, and equates to an hour of play time (including combat and running from X to Y). :rolleyes:

when do you mean its revealed ezio wasn't pure nobility

Jackburns14
06-28-2014, 04:14 AM

He's an assassin. He is not loyal to France. He is not loyal to Austria. He's loyal to the assassins.

LoyalACFan
06-28-2014, 07:50 AM
when do you mean its revealed ezio wasn't pure nobility

His great-great-grandfather wrote it on the walls of his crypt in Monteriggioni. It's in the bonus mission from Uplay. After his mentor Marco Polo was killed, he inherited his fortune and created a fake identity for himself under the name Auditore. Ezio's "noble" bloodline only goes back a few generations.

roostersrule2
06-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Hitler was born in Austria.

Which begs the question, is Arno, Hitler?

LoyalACFan
06-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Hitler was born in Austria.

Which begs the question, is Arno, Hitler?

No, but his twin brother Arndolf is. Coincidentally he's also our main target in Unity. And he's also secretly Desmond.