PDA

View Full Version : A "Non Economic" Economy?

Wolfmeister1010
06-27-2014, 05:38 PM
So as many of you know, the French Revolution was a time of severe economic chaos. I have been thinking, and I am kinda bored of the current economic system. Ever since AC2, we have been using easily earned cash to buy all sorts of things and we always complain about how it is too easy to buy all the good equipment, it isn't paced very well, or there is no reason to spend money.

Of course it would be too late to change the game this late in dev but I was wondering what you guys think of an economic idea I have for the french revolution game. Let's pretend Unity wasn't happening.

Two birds with one stone: It seems kinda strange that a city completely torn apart economically would be able to have a bunch of happy vendors selling you all sorts of equipment. In a way to curb this issue and also get rid of the issue with the economy system pacing, I suggest that things like outfits, weapons, and equipment largely get rewarded by completing missions and exploring the city.

There is nothing more awesome in an RPG game like sky rim that exploring a dangerous dungeon, getting to the final room, an getting the ultimate prize: an awesome new weapon. I think that the same philosophy should happen in AC. Instead of having all the excitement taken out by letting us have access to all the weapons from the start as long as we are rich enough, why not let each piece of equipment be an awesome surprise for completing missions? It would force you to pace yourself, getting more and more awesome weapons as the game progresses. I know I am not the only one who has completely ignored all the decent weapons in order to save up for the best one. Then you have all those weapons you didn't get. You feel empty inside.

Even if the weapon you are rewarded with isn't amazing, I would still love it because getting rewarded with mystery weapons and equipment..playing a mission with the unbelievable antiquation of getting said mystery reward, is a feeling that makes me love video games.

This system would make you feel like you EARNED all your equipment and weapons and feel like they are more a part of you. It would make you feel better about being an unstoppable badass. "Hey, I got this sword as a reward for locking up that murderer in one of the 1000 stories of Paris missions. It took me a while to piece all the evidence together. I earned this weapon!" sounds a lot better than: "Oh, yeah this sword has the best attack and speed of all of them, I had to go sell a bunch of crap and not buy ANYTHING else and now I have it. "

What do you guys think?

JustPlainQuirky
06-27-2014, 05:40 PM
I like the idea. But like you said most people ignore the small weapons and just save up for the big ones.

I think Ubi should just stop having 'varied' weapons when one weapon is almost always superior to the others.

edit: even though the superiority just means killing somone in 1 second instead of 1.5 seconds.

pacmanate
06-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Maybe not exploring loads of dungeons to get weapons cause I would wonder why someone put it there....

BUTTTTTTTTTT

It could work for side missions, having tiers and such.

Tier 1 - Low level weapons/pouches
Tier 2 - Better level weapons/pouches
Tier 3 - Betterer level weapons

BLAH BLAH

And each tier is a difficulty level based on that side mission. So higher mission, bigger reward. Would mean more people attempting side missions.

However, they would have to follow on to stop people just doing all tier 3's.

Wolfmeister1010
06-27-2014, 05:47 PM
And there could still be like black market dealers who sell things like ammo and BASIC BASIC equipment/weapons.

JustPlainQuirky
06-27-2014, 05:52 PM
I never needed to buy ammo. There was almost always one on soldiers.

Though I never had smoke bombs because I never go to the shops until after i beat the story mode.

Defeats the purpose, I know. But I can still kill armies with the basic stuff in Ac:3 and 4 lol.

dxsxhxcx
06-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Assassin's Creed doesn't need an economic system, this is pointless simply because the differences between one equipment and another (stat-wise) are barely noticiable (specially on weapons case), just make it like it was in AC1 and make new weapons available as we advance in the story, no need to have up to 15 different swords when the main difference between them is the skin.

pacmanate
06-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Mayrice has a good point. I never bought ammo either, you just loot, its free. They should remove loot.

Xstantin
06-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Mayrice has a good point. I never bought ammo either, you just loot, its free. They should remove loot.

Or make it really scare so Arno actually has to look for it akin to stealing rare items from rich citizens in AC3.

Sesheenku
06-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Assassin's Creed doesn't need an economic system, this is pointless simply because the differences between one equipment and another (stat-wise) are barely noticiable (specially on weapons case), just make it like it was in AC1 and make new weapons available as we advance in the story, no need to have up to 15 different swords when the main difference between them is the skin.

That won't be the case this time or did you not hear about the fact that equipment will boost certain play styles? They also said weapons won't just be stat differences either, they'll all be more useful for something. I bet spears will be more useful for larger enemies or larger groups for example.

dxsxhxcx
06-27-2014, 07:01 PM
That won't be the case this time or did you not hear about the fact that equipment will boost certain play styles? They also said weapons won't just be stat differences either, they'll all be more useful for something. I bet spears will be more useful for larger enemies or larger groups for example.

knowing Ubisoft, at this point this are all just promises, they "sell" these "standalone" demos but we all know from experience that many of the things we saw might not even appear in the final game and I believe that if something goes wrong and they need to cut something I bet this will probably be at the top of the list of things that can be cut from the game.

LoyalACFan
06-27-2014, 07:24 PM
knowing Ubisoft, at this point this are all just promises, they "sell" these "standalone" demos but we all know from experience that many of the things we saw might not even appear in the final game and I believe that if something goes wrong and they need to cut something I bet this will probably be at the top of the list of things that can be cut from the game.

LOL hell no. They aren't going to remove the gameplay bonuses provided by different gear. That would essentially be gutting a core gameplay mechanic four months before release; they've specifically said that they want players to coordinate based on their respective skills. If anything gets cut, it'll most likely be some side missions like the murder mysteries and whatnot (though probably not actually that specific mission strand since they already showed it off).

Anyway, OT- I'd be fine with having a different sort of economy this time. I'm always a sucker for unlocking new outfits and weapons (just because they look cool, they've never really provided much of an actual bonus) but just meandering into a store and buying it isn't that fun TBH. I much prefer gameplay like the lairs of Romulus, tombs, or Kidd missions that actually make you work toward getting something new, which makes it much more rewarding after being hyped for so long (though I guess this can lead to disappointment too if the item doesn't live up to expectations; looking at you, armor of Brutus). Obviously they can't have a mission strand for each item, but in general I'd prefer unlockables to purchasables. It doesn't have to be grandiose either; it could be as simple as completing some challenges for a guild. I kind of think it'll be similar to Watch_Dogs though, where you unlock stuff like the Chrome pistol and Spec Ops Goblin from completing side mission strands (though I hope there is some in-game justification for it instead of just having it randomly pop up in your inventory).

RinoTheBouncer
06-27-2014, 07:48 PM
I think it would be amazing if we can actually create our own weapon. Like we can be our own Blacksmith or perhaps steal weapons or take the enemy’s weapon and use it forever.

WendysBrioche
06-27-2014, 08:13 PM
I just don't care about the different weapons being stat based. In any game, I only use a certain weapon or piece of attire if it looks cool. XD Even if its a weak piece of equipment, Im still going to use my Dovakhin iron helmet with the Viking goat horns, cause its pretty.

That being said, I think it would be cool to kill a Templar officer, to find out he has a unique custom sword/firearm you cant find anywhere else in the game. I always loved that.

Sushiglutton
06-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Even if the weapon you are rewarded with isn't amazing, I would still love it because getting rewarded with mystery weapons and equipment..playing a mission with the unbelievable antiquation of getting said mystery reward, is a feeling that makes me love video games.

This system would make you feel like you EARNED all your equipment and weapons and feel like they are more a part of you. It would make you feel better about being an unstoppable badass. "Hey, I got this sword as a reward for locking up that murderer in one of the 1000 stories of Paris missions. It took me a while to piece all the evidence together. I earned this weapon!" sounds a lot better than: "Oh, yeah this sword has the best attack and speed of all of them, I had to go sell a bunch of crap and not buy ANYTHING else and now I have it. "

What do you guys think?

Agree with this a lot. I think Ubi needs to do something about their approach to collectibles/economy etc. All over you hear people complain about the fillers, tedious amount of collectibles, padding, "Janitor's Creed" etc. Having more personal and usuable "collectibles" would be a plus. It would also mean for the Co-op that people would have very different outfits and you would go: "hey where did you find those boots", which would be neat.

johnsmith145
07-06-2014, 10:36 PM
I think there will be a big focus on a skill point system similar to the one in WATCH_DOGS. This will practically be the same as OP's initial idea - to kill a big target, get xp and use it to upgrade the character.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-06-2014, 10:44 PM
There have been missions like this in the past. However they were dlc missions or exclusive missions.

rickprog
07-06-2014, 10:57 PM
I'm 100% sure Alex said on an interview at E3 that this case of having to go on quests and being rewarded with particular items for Arno would be the one used on AC Unity, but I can't seem to find it (will edit this post if I manage to find it). And I don't know to what extent it will be, either. Perhaps we'll still be able to buy gear and there will be quest-only gear as well.

Calvarok
07-07-2014, 01:43 AM
So you're using the differences between reveal demos and final game as an excuse to ignore stated design goals in interviews?

the game's out in a few months. everything they're talking about they're reasonably confident will ship, and an entire stat system has never been the kind of thing that's just disappeared. It's always been stuff like the spyglass, which didn't get into AC3 and was instead used for AC4. Or crouching outside of stalking zones, a system that was openly acknowledged to just be an experiment that might not make it into AC4.

They've given us more info about the game more quickly than they ever have before, and it's unreasonable to just say that all of it is fake or intentionally misleading.

I thought AC4 had a pretty good economy system. there were plenty of expensive things to buy that I wanted to save up for, and plundering as a way to get money was fun. AC3 was the one where I had to consciously think about what I was doing the most when I wanted to make money, and where it felt the most like a big investment.

pacmanate
07-07-2014, 02:44 AM
I thought AC4 had a pretty good economy system. there were plenty of expensive things to buy that I wanted to save up for, and plundering as a way to get money was fun. AC3 was the one where I had to consciously think about what I was doing the most when I wanted to make money, and where it felt the most like a big investment.

It started off as fun, then got tedious for me very quickly.

Dome500
07-09-2014, 12:12 AM
I agree mostly.

While I think mid-level equipment should still be available at different shops I agree that equipment as reward for missions or for exploration are definitely awesome.
Though I would prefer the cosmetic side of it (robe colors, etc) to be available at shops.

Also, please make us change the color of the "special outfits" as well, that always bugged me.