PDA

View Full Version : "Assassin's Creed Unity Is Bringing Back The Series' Greatest Experiment"

Sushiglutton
06-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Preview article on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-unity-is-bringing-back-the-series-great-1596479794.

A few points that are (semi-) new to me at least:

1) I ran my assassin toward a wall diagonally and, lo, he climbed up said wall diagonally. To non AC players, this is a big old "who cares?". To those of us who've played in the Assassin's Creed worlds of right-angled navigation, this is next-gen advancement. During a half-hour interview in Los Angeles, Amancio told me that players of the older games in the series tended to run the same small number of lanes up, down and through the cities of those games. It was the game creators' fault for designing their cities to encourage that. "We relied a lot on ingredients," he said, using the developers' term for haystacks and poles and other hand-placed climbable objects.

The new approach to character movement should allow climbing to be more systemic, to simply allow more to be climbed and to let players climb and parkour up and down. Hold the right trigger and press one button to run toward a building facade and climb up it. Hold right trigger and a different button to climb down.

2) The fact that when you climb to the top of a roof, you'll suddenly see all sorts of icons appear among the buildings below. "What we're revealing is not missions or side stories," Amancio said. "[We're revealing] opportunities—the hide spots, the alarm bells, all of the stuff you need to create strategy. The idea, he said, is to emphasize that the assassin is strongest when he's on the roof. "To me assassin on rooftop is akin to the eagle circling its prey."

3) The change to the threat detection system which will emulate Far Cry 3 and put the awareness meter around Arno's body instead of on each enemy. Players should have an improved understanding of who is spotting them and from which side. "We're all about making stealth better," Amancio said, "making it easier to read."

4) The removal of the automatic day-night system, in favor of locking the time of day in the game at various times. The idea is to keep players from feeling rushed and from having some of their in-game progress reset by the quick passing of sunrise and sunset. (I wonder, but didn't ask, if it's also because of changes to how the game world will be illuminated and animated.)

5) Amancio estimates that Ubisoft's developers are rendering about 5,000 Parisians on-screen at once.

Those Parisians are divided into three factions: 1) Cops/guards — "they will simply try to get order to be maintained." 2) "Aggressors are sort of the faction the political extremist faction. They will try to provoke people and try to start fights, they will be reprimanded by the cops and if they keep at it they will be attacked." 3) "The third faction is the crowd itself. These are the revolutionaries. Some of them are armed themselves. They can react to a situation."

6) Repeatedly, Amancio kept talking about systems. He kept talking about making Unity's gameplay more systemic, whether he was talking about character navigation or about this crowd stuff. All those 5,000 characters can have brains. They can do things. They can mix things up, he said. "Somebody from the crowd flow can meet somebody else from the crowd flow and say, 'Hey, I know you.' And then they can decide to stop and shop or something. Then that we've done that how can we do some gameplay on top of that."

7) As for blackbox missions, all of the co-op missions are blackboxes. They are limited by geography and can be exteriors or interiors. You're shown a playbook of available moments/actions in the area, listing maybe two secret entrances, two mob missions, one special assassination... stuff like that. Leaving the area is not a desync, Amancio said. I didn't quite get it, but it sounds like a mission that plays as an activity-filled sandbox. I'm intrigued.

8) There's also something called mod missions, missions that might change part of the game world and make the next mission easier. Amancio shared an example in which you might lock some grates in one mission that would allow you to fill the area with smoke in the next and use eagle vision to hunt your target.

JustPlainQuirky
06-26-2014, 07:33 PM
No more day/night system? Aww...

king-hailz
06-26-2014, 07:35 PM
I think they mean that... the day and night will be like the weather was in AC3... i dont like that... i want it like before... but we dont really know how it will be so.....

Radman500
06-26-2014, 07:36 PM

what is night, but an absence of light:rolleyes:

jayjay275
06-26-2014, 07:37 PM

Where is that? I didn't see it. :(

EDIT: Nevermind got it.

rob.davies2014
06-26-2014, 07:49 PM
I hope the icons which appear when you're on the rooftops can be disabled. They sound like an awesome way of not having to check the map and turning off the mini map, but I'd rather they were mapped to a button rather than appearing automatically.

Farlander1991
06-26-2014, 07:56 PM
I think they mean that... the day and night will be like the weather was in AC3... i dont like that... i want it like before... but we dont really know how it will be so.....

Huh? Weather in AC3 is automatic, it's scripted (or turned off) only in a few certain missions.

Not to mention that all main missions in AC series (and a hefty part of side ones) have a set fixed day-time that wasn't automatic. It seems though that we'll have something closer to AC1 where open-world will have fixed day-time as well.

Sushiglutton
06-26-2014, 08:01 PM

Depends a bot on why and how it will function. Maybe there will be some missions that will be tied to a certain time of day (like execution on the day, thivery by night etc). Then it could be kind of annoying if you had a ten minute window to do what you wanted. I wonder if we will be able to control the time and if so how, or if it will be determined by the last mission (like snow in AC3).

I hope the icons which appear when you're on the rooftops can be disabled. They sound like an awesome way of not having to check the map and turning off the mini map, but I'd rather they were mapped to a button rather than appearing automatically.

Agree 100%! I hate when information is thrown in your face. I want it to be a tap away instead. If not I rather disable it. Exploring beautiful Paris with dozens of icons spinning around you would be a nightmare.

shobhit7777777
06-26-2014, 08:01 PM
HA!

I was JUST about to post this article

The author *gets* it

I love ACR

GreySkellig
06-26-2014, 08:07 PM

Really unhappy about this. The day night cycle (although arguably too short in Black Flag) is one of the elements which really makes it feel like I'm spending time in a living world. I also wonder what this means for systemic weather. Hopefully there will at least be day/night and weather animus hacks as in previous entries.

My preferred solution would be the old "go to bed for x hours" trick so many games have used. It's clunky, but it would serve Amancio's purpose without taking away the passage of time. Plus it could be tied to our hideout--something I've really been missing since AC:R--a hideout IN the city. Made me feel like Batman, in a good way. No more of this homestead/mansion business from AC 2, 3 and 4. In Brotherhood and Revelations, we had a lair somewhere in the city where we could retreat, resupply and strategize. I loved it, and especially given that we seem to be limited to Paris in AC:U (not a bad thing) I'd like to see it return. With a bed to change the time of day!

THIS. I have had the same concern for a while now--it's a great looking feature, but not if it pops up every time I stand still on top of a roof. Talk about immersion-breaking.

ACfan443
06-26-2014, 08:08 PM
No automatic free roam day/night cycle? The author is probably right in assuming that it's more to do with the way lighting is implemented. AC1 had a static cycle and its lighting was natural, realistic, and generally superior to its successors. Perhaps that's what Unity's developers are going for.
Either way, that's really disappointing, I'd prefer a natural day/night cycle over a 'select the time of day' option based one since it's vastly more immersive and atmospheric when free roaming (imo).

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Just skimmed throughout it but I don't know how I feel any of the stuff. Just hope they don't screw it up I guess... :nonchalance:

All I can do is see what the game will have when it presents itself :)

Sushiglutton
06-26-2014, 08:20 PM
No automatic free roam day/night cycle? The author is probably right in assuming that it's more to do with the way lighting is implemented. AC1 had a static cycle and its lighting was natural, realistic, and generally superior to its successors. Perhaps that's what Unity's developers are going for.
Either way, that's really disappointing, I'd prefer a natural day/night cycle over a 'select the time of day' option based one since it's vastly more immersive and atmospheric when free roaming (imo).

Yeah watching the sun rise over Paris from atop the Notre Dame would have been pretty epic :). That said I will always support the devs for holding back on stuff so we won't get another AC3 disaster.

ACfan443
06-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Yeah watching the sun rise over Paris from atop the Notre Dame would have been pretty epic :). That said I will always support the devs for holding back on stuff so we won't get another AC3 disaster.

I presume we'll have a 'sunset' or 'dawn/sunrise' option, but it just won't feel the same as watching the day progress naturally.

jdowny
06-26-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm of a mixed mind about the lack of day/night cycle as well if it's true. On the one hand it will mean better lighting, but on the other hand we might miss those breathtaking moments we've had since AC II, like watching the sun rise/set over a city from the rooftops, which has attributed to some of the most beautiful moments in gaming for me.

I do agree that the day/night cycle in all the games have been far too short though. Black Flag's night for instance was about 1/4 that of the day, which was frankly a bizarre decision to make. I don't see why they don't just make the cycle much longer, like 1 minute for every 4/5 seconds real time.

Other than that I'm on board. I'm 95% sure that the rooftop icons can be disabled via the console along with other UI items. As others have said though, they should really make it so that you're able to toggle it with a button.

rob.davies2014
06-26-2014, 09:01 PM
THIS. I have had the same concern for a while now--it's a great looking feature, but not if it pops up every time I stand still on top of a roof. Talk about immersion-breaking.

Agree 100%! I hate when information is thrown in your face. I want it to be a tap away instead. If not I rather disable it. Exploring beautiful Paris with dozens of icons spinning around you would be a nightmare.

Maybe one of the forum Moderators could find out for us if it is automatic or not?
If it is currently automatic, we may be able to get the devs to change that if we make enough noise!
I don't imagine it would be too hard for them to do, it wouldn't require changing the feature just how it's activated.

Jexx21
06-26-2014, 09:10 PM
day/night cycle is like inFAMOUS Second Son then? That's fine.

As long as the game has photo mode and let's you switch between the pre-set conditions.

JustPlainQuirky
06-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Well if I can choose between day and night i guess thats fine.

SixKeys
06-26-2014, 09:16 PM
HA!

I was JUST about to post this article

The author *gets* it

I love ACR

I hope you're aware the author loved AC3. :p

I don't really understand the comment about day/night cycle. Why would it be a concern? Why would it make players rush? You've never been able to fail a mission because day turned into night in the middle of it, or vice versa. If it's locked onto certain missions, I'll miss those awesome moments of sitting on a viewpoint, watching the sunrise/sunset and taking screengrabs. :(

Aphex_Tim
06-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Awesome article about how the series is getting a major overhaul; everyone only talks about the day/night cycle...

SixKeys
06-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Awesome article about how the series is getting a major overhaul; everyone only talks about the day/night cycle...

I'll believe it when I see it. Every single game they've come out with since ACR has claimed to be a "major overhaul" in some way. AC3 was the only one that actually delivered on that promise and it was a change for the worse.

JustPlainQuirky
06-26-2014, 09:24 PM
@aphex

when you love something you're more willing to talk about its flaws ;)

Jexx21
06-26-2014, 09:25 PM

why should that invalidate anyone's opinion.

WendysBrioche
06-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Im not sure I understand why day/night cycles are being removed from the game. If the main concern is not to rush the player, they can set every mission in the game, even side missions, to a fixed time to make it more immersive taking advantage of scripted lighting. But outside of mission I cant see why they have to remove the feature. I hope Im just reading this wrong and they mean only inside the missions, auto day/night is disabled.

But Day and Night cycles should definitely be longer. Like 2 hours each would be nice. It felt awkward in AC 4 with day and night rushing past like were on some kind of micro planet.

ACfan443
06-26-2014, 09:33 PM

We've heard the 'major overhaul' rhetoric many times. The static day/night cycle is really the only new piece of information about Unity in that article, so it's no surprise it's the hot topic of discussion.

Jexx21
06-26-2014, 09:36 PM
I've only heard the major overhaul thing for AC3.

And AC3 was a major overhaul, and it's core systems were improvements. However the implementation of those systems left much to be desired.

I have faith in Unity.

SixKeys
06-26-2014, 09:52 PM
why should that invalidate anyone's opinion.

Shobhit was the one who said he would turn down any potential suitors for his daughter's hand in marriage if they admitted to liking AC3.

Sesheenku
06-26-2014, 09:57 PM
I've only heard the major overhaul thing for AC3.

And AC3 was a major overhaul, and it's core systems were improvements. However the implementation of those systems left much to be desired.

I have faith in Unity.

Severely disagree.

Steath was ruined, combat over simplified, all parkour functions stuffed into a single button, and climbing made even more automatic.

There's not a single improvement AC3 made... except maybe tree parkour.

ACfan443
06-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Shobhit was the one who said he would turn down any potential suitors for his daughter's hand in marriage if they admitted to liking AC3.

LOL.
I choked on my drink, gotta love Shobhit's jabs at AC3.

pacmanate
06-26-2014, 10:21 PM
4) The removal of the automatic day-night system, in favor of locking the time of day in the game at various times. The idea is to keep players from feeling rushed and from having some of their in-game progress reset by the quick passing of sunrise and sunset. (I wonder, but didn't ask, if it's also because of changes to how the game world will be illuminated and animated.)

That is the biggest load of ******** I have ever heard from Ubisoft. Removing day and night so we don't FELL RUSHED? Who the hell feels rushed cause of a day and night system?!

As for "having some of their in game progress reset by the quick passing of sunrise and sunset".... that doesn't even make sense!??

JustPlainQuirky
06-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Omigosh its dark in AC3.

Must turn off game2fast4mi

Farlander1991
06-26-2014, 10:27 PM
That is the biggest load of ******** I have ever heard from Ubisoft. Removing day and night so we don't FELL RUSHED? Who the hell feels rushed cause of a day and night system?!

As for "having some of their in game progress reset by the quick passing of sunrise and sunset".... that doesn't even make sense!??

ACU might have had time-sensitive content (that doesn't make sense at certain times of day) and the automatic day-time was messing that up?

That's the best guess I have on what the hell that means.

pacmanate
06-27-2014, 12:02 AM
ACU might have had time-sensitive content (that doesn't make sense at certain times of day) and the automatic day-time was messing that up?

That's the best guess I have on what the hell that means.

Well why not do what they do in every previous AC and just change the weather accordingly?

JustPlainQuirky
06-27-2014, 12:03 AM
To be fair I was always thrown off when the weather and time changed out of nowhere when I started a mission

Megas_Doux
06-27-2014, 12:22 AM
So far, I like Amancio´s idea....

In terms of the Day/night thing, as long as I can choose after beating the game through "hacks" or something, that´s fine. I will miss the sunrises and sunsets though...

Jexx21
06-27-2014, 12:24 AM
sunrise and sunsets are still possible, it would just be a preset time.

Morgan-GW
06-27-2014, 01:35 AM
Aw, I've kind of almost gotten used to seeing the moon rise in the west and travel across the north part of the sky, of having it start pouring rain and no one seems to notice, and of having raindrops splash on the "camera lens." They were all little reminders that you weren't really running around the past, but were watching someone else do it.

LoyalACFan
06-27-2014, 06:20 AM
To be fair I was always thrown off when the weather and time changed out of nowhere when I started a mission

Yeah, exactly. Personally I'm fine with a fixed time of day. Beats entering a mission at noon, then BZZT all of a sudden it's sundown. And yes, missions ARE better when they're locked to a certain time of day. Really adds to the immersion.

The only thing I'm quite skeptical of is the high-ground feature with all the little icons below you on the street. If it's entirely automatic, that would be disastrous for immersion. But I'm hopeful it won't be, considering the fact that the two front shoulder buttons are already basically unused in Black Flag (at least on foot) and the high-ground feature could easily be mapped to one of them. R1 pulled up the completion stats for the island you were on, which would be a pointless feature now considering we only have one map, and I don't even remember what L1 did besides mortars...?

Anyway, if it is automatic, hopefully it'll be part of the HUD you can turn off.

HDinHB
06-27-2014, 06:28 AM
I'll miss the day/night and weather. I really enjoyed them, especially in Black Flag. Maybe revolution era Paris will be so smoky and overcast we don't notice. I have no idea what "in-game progress reset" means.

There were a couple of other tidbits I didn't see mentioned:

I asked Amancio about [den defense]. Would they be back? And his answer: "No no no." I sense he knows they sucked.
I won't miss that.

You can still leap off a building and land in a haystack. That's iconic and still going to be the thing to do after you reach one of Unity's high surveillance points.
Haystacks? Check. Viewpoints? Check. Eagle screech?

shobhit7777777
06-27-2014, 07:42 AM

Doesn't matter...he *gets* ACR

Still can't marry my daughter though

Jexx21
06-27-2014, 07:46 AM
shobhit i'm gonna go watch the 2nd episode of person of interest

also I don't think he wants to marry your daughter considering I doubt you have a daughter right now and he's probably gonna be too old by the time you do.

what if your daughter likes AC3 tho

shobhit7777777
06-27-2014, 07:57 AM
shobhit i'm gonna go watch the 2nd episode of person of interest

also I don't think he wants to marry your daughter considering I doubt you have a daughter right now and he's probably gonna be too old by the time you do.

what if your daughter likes AC3 tho

Impossible...I'm Batman

Back OT

ACU's factions - another thing that ACR did so well......setting up fights and inadvertently setting off Byz vs Temp fights lead to some awesome moments in game. Well connected and presented systems would be a great step forwards for the franchise....so many possibilities.

Jexx21
06-27-2014, 08:00 AM
I could do the Ottoman vs Byzantine thing in AC2 with Borgia guards and San Gimigano guards.

also I'm Robin and Batgirl at the same time, I think...

I'm also Delsin, Fetch, Ajay, Connor, Aiden, T-Bone, Pagan Min, and Arno.

shobhit7777777
06-27-2014, 08:16 AM
I could do the Ottoman vs Byzantine thing in AC2 with Borgia guards and San Gimigano guards.

also I'm Robin and Batgirl at the same time, I think...

I'm also Delsin, Fetch, Ajay, Connor, Aiden, T-Bone, Pagan Min, and Arno.

Really? In AC2? Wow...I need to replay the Ezio games.

There was a female Robin.....not strictly Bat-canon...but there was a female Robin.. You could be fem Robin.

Dev_Anj
06-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Actually, it's Borgia's guards vs. Florence's guards, and it can be done only in Sequence 13.

Jexx21
06-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Really? In AC2? Wow...I need to replay the Ezio games.

There was a female Robin.....not strictly Bat-canon...but there was a female Robin.. You could be fem Robin.

It is actually canon, not to the New 52, but it is canon. Her name was Stephanie Brown and she's the Batgirl in my signature.

Actually, it's Borgia's guards vs. Florence's guards, and it can be done only in Sequence 13.

Nah it was after I beat the game and it was in San Gimignano.

shobhit7777777
06-27-2014, 08:25 AM
It is actually canon, not to the New 52, but it is canon. Her name was Stephanie Brown and she's the Batgirl in my signature.

Brown doesn't count. She was incompetent...and kinda forced.

Kelley...Kelley is a legit Fem Robin

And this is soooooo OT

Jexx21
06-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Oh, That Fem Robin. Forgot about her.

well I'm not Kelley.

I'm Tim Brown, The Red Bat!

Hans684
06-27-2014, 04:07 PM
The only thing I'm quite skeptical of is the high-ground feature with all the little icons below you on the street. If it's entirely automatic, that would be disastrous for immersion.

It is and the icons is only showed when you are standing still on the roof, not while running. As shown in the SP demo.

Locopells
06-27-2014, 04:22 PM
Even so, it's nice to just admire the view sometimes - I'm with those wanting this mapped to a button, rather then automatic.

Sushiglutton
06-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Mapped to a button, or I will insta-disable it. If I can't disable it I will cry a Seine.

Bastiaen
06-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Mapped to a button, or I will insta-disable it. If I can't disable it I will cry a Seine.

It's so similar to what AC4 did with RB, it really would be a shame if they made it automatic. It might become the WORST feature ever in an AC game. There are very few things that I've ever actually hated in AC games, but this would absolutely be one of them.

rob.davies2014
06-27-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm afraid it may be as we suspect. The devs never mention a button when they're talking about the rooftop icon feature. I fear it will be automatic! :(

JustPlainQuirky
06-27-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm sure it will be disable-able.

the question is will the rest of the hud be disabled along with it?

LoyalACFan
06-27-2014, 07:29 PM
I'm sure it will be disable-able.

the question is will the rest of the hud be disabled along with it?

Don't see why not. Every AC has had a highly customizable HUD. I just hope it isn't tied to another item like the 3D waypoint, for example. I think in AC4 when you turned off the minimap the waypoint went away too (which is dumb, why would you ever not want your waypoint to show up? If you don't like the way it clutters up the screen just remove the waypoint).

LoyalACFan
06-27-2014, 07:30 PM
It is and the icons is only showed when you are standing still on the roof, not while running. As shown in the SP demo.

That's awful. Sometimes I want to stand still and admire Paris, not map blips :nonchalance:

Hans684
06-27-2014, 08:13 PM
That's awful. Sometimes I want to stand still and admire Paris, not map blips :nonchalance:

Agree but mechanics is mechanics, I love take admire the word(city, sea etc...) from hight places, as long as it's possible to turn it off there is no problem.

rob.davies2014
06-27-2014, 09:04 PM
The best scenario is it being button activated so you don't have to go to the HUD menu each time you want to bring it up or turn it off, you can just toggle it with a button.

pacmanate
06-28-2014, 01:30 AM
Those Icons better be able to go away. This is something Im worried about. Having 10+ icons filling my screen is so cluttering.

Legendz54
06-28-2014, 01:55 AM
Well If this is what weather is like now i guess i can forget about snow being in ACU :(

zkorejo
06-28-2014, 04:01 AM

That really is a bad decision. Its like a step backwards. Terrible idea to do that... why do they have to make an awesome game and ruin it by doing something so stupid like this. I am very sad to hear this... I hope it turn out to be false or a misunderstanding.

HDinHB
06-28-2014, 04:45 AM
Those Icons better be able to go away. This is something Im worried about. Having 10+ icons filling my screen is so cluttering.

This is how they are motivating us to complete all the side content...complete the task, the icon disappears.

Ureh
06-28-2014, 04:58 AM
6) Repeatedly, Amancio kept talking about systems. He kept talking about making Unity's gameplay more systemic, whether he was talking about character navigation or about this crowd stuff. All those 5,000 characters can have brains. They can do things. They can mix things up, he said. "Somebody from the crowd flow can meet somebody else from the crowd flow and say, 'Hey, I know you.' And then they can decide to stop and shop or something. Then that we've done that how can we do some gameplay on top of that."

NPCs meeting each other then walking together isn't really new but how would they add gameplay on top of that?!

LoyalACFan
06-28-2014, 07:41 AM
This is how they are motivating us to complete all the side content...complete the task, the icon disappears.

No, the icons are for stuff like social clubs, stores, catacomb entrances, hiding spots, and taverns. There's no way to complete them, they're just there.

Jexx21
06-28-2014, 08:00 AM
That really is a bad decision. Its like a step backwards. Terrible idea to do that... why do they have to make an awesome game and ruin it by doing something so stupid like this. I am very sad to hear this... I hope it turn out to be false or a misunderstanding.

Actually it's good because it means it'll be easier to code AI behaviors for time and weather conditions as well as provide a better lighting system. Lighting in Assassin's Creed 1 was generally better because there was no day/night cycle. Also sometimes a day/night cycle can strain the engine if they're trying to accomplish other things as well, which may have been needed for seamless interiors across the city as well as the thousands of AI characters.

roostersrule2
06-28-2014, 08:03 AM
Actually it's good because it means it'll be easier to code AI behaviors for time and weather conditions as well as provide a better lighting system. Lighting in Assassin's Creed 1 was generally better because there was no day/night cycle. Also sometimes a day/night cycle can strain the engine if they're trying to accomplish other things as well, which may have been needed for seamless interiors across the city as well as the thousands of AI characters.If the game can't handle a day/night system we have bigger problems.

I think it'd be easier if missions just had their own day/night cycle. So if it was daytime and the missions was at night, when you go to the missions it turns to dark.

Sushiglutton
06-28-2014, 08:05 AM
NPCs meeting each other then walking together isn't really new but how would they add gameplay on top of that?!

I think that was just a simple example. Gameplay opportunities will appear more when various NPC interact more violently ;). Think FarCry 3 where the two factions can fight it out, get attacked by animals etc. This creates unique scenarios which you can choose to interact with or not (so called systemic gameplay). I think this is super cool tbh and it's interesting to see how far Ubi can push it. It's a much better way of filling the world with stuff to do than generic collectibles. It's endless and great for Co-op.

There are a couple of examples in the SP demo where the citizens start fighting with the thief (?) and there is a priest getting attacked as well. The difference between this and random events is that systemic gameplay is less scripted and has more to do with various systems clashing.

Jexx21
06-28-2014, 08:10 AM
If the game can't handle a day/night system we have bigger problems.

I think it'd be easier if missions just had their own day/night cycle. So if it was daytime and the missions was at night, when you go to the missions it turns to dark.
that's the way it was in AC2-AC4.

No. Removing the day/night cycle can be a good thing, it all depends on what the developers want and think is best for the game. the game not being able to handle a day/night system due to performance issues isn't really a problem at all either

roostersrule2
06-28-2014, 08:15 AM
that's the way it was in AC2-AC4.

No. Removing the day/night cycle can be a good thing, it all depends on what the developers want and think is best for the game. the game not being able to handle a day/night system due to performance issues isn't really a problem at all eitherI know, I liked it that way.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but sometimes what developers think is best for the game, really isn't.

AC2's carnevale was like this and it's one of the series most loved sequences. So I don't really care either way.

LoyalACFan
06-28-2014, 08:25 AM
If the game can't handle a day/night system we have bigger problems.

It's not that it can't handle it, it's just that scripted content will ALWAYS look better than dynamic content. So if that means we get a Paris stuck in daytime only that looks amazing rather than a dynamically-timed (is that even a phrase?) Paris that looks pretty good, I'll take the former.

Jexx21
06-28-2014, 08:27 AM
I know, I liked it that way.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but sometimes what developers think is best for the game, really isn't.

AC2's carnevale was like this and it's one of the series most loved sequences. So I don't really care either way.

The developers are the artists of the game, we can't tell them what is best for the game or not.

roostersrule2
06-28-2014, 08:47 AM
The developers are the artists of the game, we can't tell them what is best for the game or not.Yes we can.

If we told them Den Defence was bad during ACR development, then ACR would have been better,

Jexx21
06-28-2014, 08:51 AM
I liked Den Defense.

:/

roostersrule2
06-28-2014, 09:02 AM
I liked Den Defense.

:/No.

Just like Claudia, you only think you did.

pacmanate
06-28-2014, 01:47 PM
LOL den defense... how how you sucked on the teets of rats

steveeire
06-28-2014, 02:17 PM
lol den defence.

http://i59.tinypic.com/1602y46.jpg

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-30-2014, 03:33 AM
Some of this really scares me.

My two BIGGEST fears mentioned in this article is the day/night cycle being gone and the rooftop symbols.

Open world games benefit tremendously from day/night cycles. They make the world feel more real. There's a passage of time. My one problem with them is that they're not as long as I'd like -- I tend to prefer the cycles to be longer but it's never bothered me regardless. I don't get why they'd lock the time of day. It seems pointless and more of a negative than any possible benefit.

As for the symbols, I REALLY don't like the idea of navigating Paris and having a million icons pop up each time I'm on a rooftop. It sounds like you have to stand still before it pops up so if you're running it shouldn't be an issue. But if I stop to look around and just get immersed... I'm screwed because of way too many icons cluttering the screen. Hopefully we can disable this feature.

roostersrule2
06-30-2014, 03:41 AM
Game devs aren't stupid.

You'll be able to turn that off or it'll only be activated at the press of a button similar to AC4's 'things to do' thing when you're at a location.

I think the locked day/night cycle will only be in some instances, like the Carnevale sequence in AC2. When you've finished the game or the certain missions you're on don't require any certain time of day, a day/night cycle will be utilized.

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 03:42 AM
I'm sorry but I would rather have realistic NPC behaviors than a day/night cycle

JustPlainQuirky
06-30-2014, 03:43 AM
>realistic NPC behaviors

is there such a thing?

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 03:45 AM
Game devs aren't stupid.

You'll be able to turn that off or it'll only be activated at the press of a button similar to AC4's 'things to do' thing when you're at a location.

I think the locked day/night cycle will only be in some instances, like the Carnevale sequence in AC2. When you've finished the game or the certain missions you're on don't require any certain time of day, a day/night cycle will be utilized.

But that wouldn't help make the lighting better...

Also pretty sure they said that they were trying to make missions seamless this time... changing the time of day would require some sort of loading sequence which would negate that "seamless" thing

Watch Dogs even had one.

roostersrule2
06-30-2014, 04:00 AM
But that wouldn't help make the lighting better...

Also pretty sure they said that they were trying to make missions seamless this time... changing the time of day would require some sort of loading sequence which would negate that "seamless" thing

Watch Dogs even had one.What?

You realise I was arguing with your point not against it?

dxsxhxcx
06-30-2014, 04:02 AM
while I love automated day/night cycles, I don't think I'll miss it, AC doesn't really take much advantage of it because the story sometimes spam many months/years between missions, so it's kinda weird to see you doing a bunch of missions in what seems to be a in game day but story-wise there was a bigger gap between them, I just hope we have the option to choose if we want to play during the day or night, the night atmosphere was really great in ACR...

JustPlainQuirky
06-30-2014, 04:03 AM
i probably wont even notice the day/night cycle either.

Heck I didnt even know AC had a day/night cycle at first

Landruner
06-30-2014, 04:38 AM
"removal of the automatic day-night system"....for a sandbox game?!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!! Ubisoft !!!!!
in short: The dumbest move ever for that franchise and the worst and the weirdest sandbox simulator I could even imagine for being stuck in Paris during day light only while I am free roaming and only experiencing the nights because they are going to be reserved only for some missions (a la Thief, Dishonored....). I can't even imagine how down in the pipe that series goes, you fools, this type of time configuration only works for game in hub designs (Price of Persia, Max Payne...) but not for a sandbox.
I am sure that some previously suggested to stop the time cycle during specific missions in order to prevent player from dealing with the stress of the time (although the stress of the time during mission was not really subject to matter in the series,since if you started a mission at night if was not really some impact for the AI of the foes if you were finishing it during day lights and vise and versa) - Devs like usual understood half of it and they removed the all thing instead. Grrrrr!!!!! I never understood why for each entries of this series "they" need to remove for that series what is working for the previous games and is going to miss for the next game.

while I love automated day/night cycles, I don't think I'll miss it, AC doesn't really take much advantage of it because the story sometimes spam many months/years between missions, so it's kinda weird to see you doing a bunch of missions in what seems to be a in game day but story-wise there was a bigger gap between them, I just hope we have the option to choose if we want to play during the day or night, the night atmosphere was really great in ACR...

Once again, like some other stuff they already removed, perhaps they could have use it and extract it to the best interest of the gameplay instead of removing it.
As far as I learned you do not have the option to chose the day / night cycle you want to play, it is day on free roaming/sandbox and night for some missions.

I'm sorry but I would rather have realistic NPC behaviors than a day/night cycle

Realistically speaking the NPCs will stay in the street during the day light and not going to bed because it won't be night while you are free roaming, not sleepping is really realistic and a perfect human behavior isn't Lol

JustPlainQuirky
06-30-2014, 04:53 AM
triple postin' goodness.

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 05:43 AM
I take it Landrunner hasn't played inFAMOUS Second Son, where it's an open world game with no day/night cycle, but it had terrific lighting and looked great.

roostersrule2
06-30-2014, 05:50 AM
I take it Landrunner hasn't played inFAMOUS Second Son, where it's an open world game with no day/night cycle, but it had terrific lighting and looked great.Is it really the no day/night cycle that was the catalyst for the great lighting though?

Dev_Anj
06-30-2014, 05:51 AM
I'd imagine that it'd be much harder to have good environmental lighting if the source of light is continuously moving, so partially yes.

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 05:52 AM
pretty much yea

You have to tweak certain specifics for certain settings, so something that looks great at night may not look great in the daytime

lighting engines are complicated and I don't know any specifics, so honestly don't take my complete word on it, but in general games without day/night cycles have better lighting than games that do

roostersrule2
06-30-2014, 05:55 AM
I'd much prefer a day/night cycle then better lighting though.

With this system is it that Unity is perpetually day time or night time?

Dev_Anj
06-30-2014, 05:57 AM
I'd much prefer a day/night cycle then better lighting though.

Can you state reasons why? Besides having dynamic change of day.

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 05:58 AM
No, it would probably change based on where you are in the story, unlike AC1 where it was always day time.

roostersrule2
06-30-2014, 06:02 AM
Can you state reasons why? Besides having dynamic change of day.That's my sole reason. It increases immersion and sunrises and sunsets in both real life and most games are beautiful.

No, it would probably change based on where you are in the story, unlike AC1 where it was always day time.I thought as much. However considering the power of the PS4, X1 and PC both great lighting and day/night cycles should be achievable.

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 06:06 AM
they could still have a sunset/sunrise setting that never ends.

I don't think optimizing the lighting process and day/night cycles are actually possible unless you want to have weird transitions. not positive about that though. I really don't think it has anything to do in relation to the actual graphical power of a system either.

roostersrule2
06-30-2014, 06:08 AM
Couldn't there just be a time lapse thing like in GTA V?

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 06:16 AM
but that won't solve the issue of having the same lighting settings for all times of the day rather than multiple lighting settings for specific times of the day

the best way I can put it is... you know how the lighting changes in Assassin's Creed/Watch Dogs pretty much whenever you walk into a building? Would you want that to happen constantly in a day/night cycle when you aren't entering/leaving buildings?

roostersrule2
06-30-2014, 06:20 AM
but that won't solve the issue of having the same lighting settings for all times of the day rather than multiple lighting settings for specific times of the day

the best way I can put it is... you know how the lighting changes in Assassin's Creed/Watch Dogs pretty much whenever you walk into a building? Would you want that to happen constantly in a day/night cycle when you aren't entering/leaving buildings?It's not like that now is it though?

The game is going to have great lighting cycle or not, I'd rather have the cycle and good lighting then no cycle and great lighting.

shobhit7777777
06-30-2014, 06:54 AM
I'm not bothered at all with the day night cycle loss

Broke the **** out of my immersion when it'd go from day to night in 30 minutes.

AC1 had no D/N cycle....looked brilliant and is easily one of the most immersive AC's ever.

Y'all are concerned with the least important things.....the cool **** just whizzed past your heads...I could hear the sonic boom from here.

Assassin_M
06-30-2014, 06:55 AM
Y'all are concerned with the least important things.....the cool **** just whizzed past your heads...I could hear the sonic boom from here.
liiiiiiiiiiiiiike ohmagodz, graficz dawngraze for wash doge?? sucks sucks 0/10, gta v is bettur

Hans684
06-30-2014, 07:09 AM
I'd rather not have night, it isn't dark enough to feel like it. The target video for AC3 has perfect night.

Dev_Anj
06-30-2014, 07:12 AM
@Hans684:

Same here. If you're going to have night, then have dark nights with some nights of bright moonlight.

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 07:22 AM
oh man, nights will be so much better though

better ambiance feeling with the street lamps, lack of thick crowds, just a few people roaming around here and there. much more stealthy feels.

It'll be like what the AC4 reveal trailer with the rain and the killing the dude in the dark was trying to convey

GreySkellig
06-30-2014, 07:49 AM
I guess I'm ultimately okay with the removal of the automatic cycle, provided we get an animus hack to tweak it once we beat the game. I don't want to be stuck in eternal daylight/darkness.

steveeire
06-30-2014, 09:15 AM
If the day night cycle is automatic, I hope we will get a toogle because it sucks collecting things in the dark and we all know Ubisoft loves its collectables.

wvstolzing
06-30-2014, 09:38 AM
If the day night cycle is automatic, I hope we will get a toogle because it sucks collecting things in the dark and we all know Ubisoft loves its collectables.

It's a lot easier to collect feathers in the dark, though.

RatonhnhakeFan
06-30-2014, 03:17 PM
It's a lot easier to collect feathers in the dark, though.Yup. Can't see them for crap in daylight

Dome500
06-30-2014, 06:35 PM

Not sure if I like it.

How is that going to work, can you go to a place use a menu and say "I want it to be night/day/evening/morning" ?
That is cool, though I would have preferred a combination of both (being able to fast forward time but also that time will slowly advance (very slowly)).

Hans684
06-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Not sure if I like it.

How is that going to work, can you go to a place use a menu and say "I want it to be night/day/evening/morning" ?
That is cool, though I would have preferred a combination of both (being able to fast forward time but also that time will slowly advance (very slowly)).

The phantom cigar from MGS: Phantom Pain.

Dome500
06-30-2014, 07:01 PM
The phantom cigar from MGS: Phantom Pain.

Exactly.

The removal of the automatic day-night system, in favor of locking the time of day in the game at various times. The idea is to keep players from feeling rushed and from having some of their in-game progress reset by the quick passing of sunrise and sunset. (I wonder, but didn't ask, if it's also because of changes to how the game world will be illuminated and animated.)

I dearly hope we can just get a modifier to change that. As much as I am okay with the time not advancing while I free roam I would hate it to be stuck in day for 3 main missions or even half a sequence. That would be horrible. I don't mind the time not progressing, but I definitely want specific spots where we have the option to choose if we want it to be morning, noon, evening or night, that would at least give us the option to construct our own time in way to better immerse ourselves and roleplay. If not that would be a real loss for me, IMO automatic day/night cycles (even if they are VERY slow (like it takes half a real-world day in hours (12 hours) for a day to pass)) are just part of the immersion and the authenticity of the games. The main problem is that the way it looks at the moment I am forced to play at a specific time in the story independently from my own mood and preference, which means replayability will be reduced for me and I do not have no control of the day/night circle or can change it manually either which basically forces me to play at day for X amounts of time and at night for Y amounts of time unless I want to "rush" through the story, which I will definitely MORE feel the need to do now (actually the opposite of what they want to achieve). I hope they can still change that. I mean considering they HAVE day and night they could at least build in a "change time" function, I mean come on changing day and night was in the series since AC2 !!

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 07:04 PM
actually a lack of a day/night cycle will increase immersion because

A: It will create better lighting
B: it will create better crowd behaviors attuned to the time of day rather than seeing a group of people having a picnic during the night
Also I wouldn't be surprised if the time of day changed with pretty much each story mission we do.

Dome500
06-30-2014, 07:13 PM
actually a lack of a day/night cycle will increase immersion because

A: It will create better lighting
B: it will create better crowd behaviors attuned to the time of day rather than seeing a group of people having a picnic during the night
Also I wouldn't be surprised if the time of day changed with pretty much each story mission we do.

Yeah but is it with side missions, are we stuck in the day then? Or in the night?
I love playing side missions whenever I want and I love playing them at night or evening, or early in the morning (not at noon).
I often wait for fitting times in order to spin my own stories and do my own roleplaying.
If we had a thing a la MGSVs cigar where we could determine a general time we want to be in I would be 100% fine. But if there is no automatic day/night AND we personally have no input on it it means I will have to do side missions always LOADS of them together when the time fits because I will be afraid that if I move on in the main story I will trigger another day/night change. I also will have to do main missions even though I might not be in the mood because I want to reach a certain daytime to do a specific side mission and I will be even then unsure if the next main mission will actually switch to the time I want or if it will be another one, or if the daytime will be the same.

Bottom line, I will feel rushed, and the missions are not as replayable because you can only play them at one specific time.

Now if what he means is that the daytime will be "locked" during MAIN MISSIONS in order to not rush you, THAT is cool and I would welcome that since it really ensures more quality, better lighting and a more atmospheric feeling and more immersion.

But if free-roam does ALSO not have an automatic day/night cycle and does NOT have any way to control the daytime then I will be really sad :(

Landruner
06-30-2014, 07:24 PM
triple postin' goodness.

Here is the 4th one - Something wrong? I did not post 3 times the same post, I believe....

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Yeah but is it with side missions, are we stuck in the day then? Or in the night?
I love playing side missions whenever I want and I love playing them at night or evening, or early in the morning (not at noon).
I often wait for fitting times in order to spin my own stories and do my own roleplaying.
If we had a thing a la MGSVs cigar where we could determine a general time we want to be in I would be 100% fine. But if there is no automatic day/night AND we personally have no input on it it means I will have to do side missions always LOADS of them together when the time fits because I will be afraid that if I move on in the main story I will trigger another day/night change. I also will have to do main missions even though I might not be in the mood because I want to reach a certain daytime to do a specific side mission and I will be even then unsure if the next main mission will actually switch to the time I want or if it will be another one, or if the daytime will be the same.

Bottom line, I will feel rushed, and the missions are not as replayable because you can only play them at one specific time.

Now if what he means is that the daytime will be "locked" during MAIN MISSIONS in order to not rush you, THAT is cool and I would welcome that since it really ensures more quality, better lighting and a more atmospheric feeling and more immersion.

But if free-roam does ALSO not have an automatic day/night cycle and does NOT have any way to control the daytime then I will be really sad :(

if you had a day/night cycle and restricted main missions to a certain time in the day/night cycle it wouldn't help the lighting be any better. The lighting settings have to be specifically tuned to what they want for that time of day.

I'd assume that side missions would either follow whatever time of day your current main mission is at or they would have their own fixed times. I'm assuming the former since side missions look like they're seamless experiences.

Assassin_M
06-30-2014, 07:32 PM
I don't think they'd take away control for times of day, i bet it'll be like infamous....heck, we had control over time of day in AC III

Landruner
06-30-2014, 07:42 PM
I take it Landrunner hasn't played inFAMOUS Second Son, where it's an open world game with no day/night cycle, but it had terrific lighting and looked great.

You are right the guy behind Landruner (pronounced "Landrouner") did not play infamous Second Son yet, but I plan to get it someday, - As far as I know the open world of Infamous SS is quiet different than the wannabe historical Paris. I see your point with the constant lighting, but I believe that lighting effects can still be beautiful depending how the artist designers want to orient those effects with their design with the addition of a weather system as well. At least my point is that the technology is there for it without affecting the game-play and/or the framerate.

pacmanate
06-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Talking about inFamous, having set times is probably the best

Landruner
06-30-2014, 07:44 PM
they could still have a sunset/sunrise setting that never ends.

I don't think optimizing the lighting process and day/night cycles are actually possible unless you want to have weird transitions. not positive about that though. I really don't think it has anything to do in relation to the actual graphical power of a system either.

Like some locations and levels in the average Velvet Assassin? (The game was not really good but it had some nice sunset/sunrise lighting effects).

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Unity needs photo mode as well

Hans684
06-30-2014, 07:50 PM

Then we need the option to turn of the hight ground feature, if not then there will be a lot of icons ruining the picture.

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 07:53 PM
photo mode would automatically turns off all HUD and UI so I don't think that would be an issue at all

Landruner
06-30-2014, 07:55 PM

Yep you rise the same point I wanted to make - I could picture the removal of the day/night cycle while in mission, I know it will bug me while I am free roaming and messing around.
I understand that they try to go back to AC1 when the time was obviously set, but still it was making more sense back then since the animus 1 was experimental and the concept first game was really made in a virtual simulator. Remember back in time (2007), post release a lot of critics emphasized that the game was too much of a simulator feeling instead of a living world. AC2 changed this - anyhow I am curious but sincerely hesitant regarding the fact they are going to manage this....

Hans684
06-30-2014, 07:56 PM
photo mode would automatically turns off all HUD and UI so I don't think that would be an issue at all

Even better.

Aphex_Tim
06-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Then we need the option to turn of the hight ground feature, if not then there will be a lot of icons ruining the picture.

I really hope that will just be mapped to a button. Running and jumping around on Paris' rooftops or just trying to enjoy the view with a bazillion icons on your screen is seriously gonna impact the immersion. I don't see why they can't just make it like Black Flag; holding R1 brings up general info about your current location.

Landruner
06-30-2014, 08:54 PM

You mean like the Camera in Sleeping Dogs or the photo mode like in Rumble Roses?

Aphex_Tim
06-30-2014, 08:55 PM
More like the photo mode in Infamous: Second Son, where at the press of a button, you pause the game and can move the camera around freely, even adding some effects I believe. HUD also disappears so you can snap some spectacular screenshots.

Hans684
06-30-2014, 08:56 PM
I really hope that will just be mapped to a button. Running and jumping around on Paris' rooftops or just trying to enjoy the view with a bazillion icons on your screen is seriously gonna impact the immersion. I don't see why they can't just make it like Black Flag; holding R1 brings up general info about your current location.

The icons only show up when standing still on the roof, other than that I agree but not for Unity consider how far in development it is. They can return to that in a future AC.

Landruner
06-30-2014, 09:10 PM
The icons only show up when standing still on the roof, other than that I agree but not for Unity consider how far in development it is. They can return to that in a future AC.

Hi Hans, I think they should at least let the player add them with the eagle vision feature for instance (which would make more sense than just appearing while you get a roof top.

Hans684
06-30-2014, 09:15 PM
Hi Hans, I think they should at least let the player add them with the eagle vision feature for instance (which would make more sense than just appearing while you get a roof top.

Hello Landrunner, been a long time since our last discussion.

That's actually a great idea, the hight ground feature is supposed to represent the Assassins birds eye view(eagle vision in your idea) of the surroundings.

Jexx21
06-30-2014, 09:29 PM
nah the Unity team would have already known about it because the teams probably communicate a lot. I anticipate that you would press a button like R1 for that.

Icons showing up whenever you stand still on a roof would be a terrible design decision.

Moultonborough
06-30-2014, 09:32 PM
"No Guards on rooftops"
"Really?"
"Instead lets put symbols everywhere"
"Good Idea"

Anyway, I really do hope that we can turn it on or off. I can see us slowing down a little than having them pop up again. Just seems annoying. Or just show while EV is activated.

SolidSage
07-01-2014, 01:47 AM
DISLIKE : Auto icons. Button activated with a timer please. So I press and they fade after 10 seconds or so. Clutter free AC HUD is the best.

LIKE : No day/night cycle. HATEHATEHATE putting in a 3 hour session and having days cycle 10 times. Most immersion breaking thing ever. I like sunrises and sunsets but I've had plenty of them now in old AC's, GTA, RDR (?) and so on. NOT the reason I play open world games...I mean, just get up early and go outside if it's that big a deal.

Radman500
07-01-2014, 05:46 AM
i hate this whole auto icons/rooftop thing

hopefully is optional

shobhit7777777
07-01-2014, 07:54 AM
Doesn't almost every AC game have the option to toggle HUD off?

Seriously......D/T cycle and HUD? Thats what we are choosing to discuss in THIS thread?

Jexx21
07-01-2014, 08:14 AM
I'm pretty sure that these rooftop icons aren't even automatic, that's all based off of someone speculating and then it started to snowball down the hill and turn into a "fact."

Hans684
07-01-2014, 09:04 AM
I'm pretty sure that these rooftop icons aren't even automatic, that's all based off of someone speculating and then it started to snowball down the hill and turn into a "fact."

That someone is Alex in the commented SP demo.

LoyalACFan
07-01-2014, 12:19 PM

Well, considering that they've only mentioned it in the context of "you go on a roof and this happens," it's a fair guess to say it isn't a button press. If it was a button press I feel like they'd have said so.

Dome500
07-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Yep you rise the same point I wanted to make - I could picture the removal of the day/night cycle while in mission, I know it will bug me while I am free roaming and messing around.
I understand that they try to go back to AC1 when the time was obviously set, but still it was making more sense back then since the animus 1 was experimental and the concept first game was really made in a virtual simulator. Remember back in time (2007), post release a lot of critics emphasized that the game was too much of a simulator feeling instead of a living world. AC2 changed this - anyhow I am curious but sincerely hesitant regarding the fact they are going to manage this....

Yeah.

I just think it takes away a lot of the atmosphere.
Some of the best moments for me personally were sunsets or nighttime parkour sessions in Florence, Venice, Tuscany, Rome or Constantinople. Hell, even in Boston and New York or in the frontier standing at a campfire, going in a Boston pub at night or walking through the streets with the lights up everywhere.

It makes for atmosphere. I couldn't care less about the lighting actually. As long as the gameplay is sound lighting can go to hell for all I care.

I hope the weather system is still dynamic and automatic.

Hell, the best way to do it (to simultaneously not "rush" the player but also have day and night without having to play main missions) would be to make the day/night cycle very LONG (like 12 - 24 hours each day with a skip forward to the fitting time if you start a main mission) and to give us on top of that the option to set a specific time we want (Morning, Noon, Evening, Midnight)

LIKE : No day/night cycle. HATEHATEHATE putting in a 3 hour session and having days cycle 10 times. Most immersion breaking thing ever. I like sunrises and sunsets but I've had plenty of them now in old AC's, GTA, RDR (?) and so on. NOT the reason I play open world games...I mean, just get up early and go outside if it's that big a deal.

My solution would even solve this.

Doesn't almost every AC game have the option to toggle HUD off?

Seriously......D/T cycle and HUD? Thats what we are choosing to discuss in THIS thread?

What else should we discuss? The rest is nothing new.
And for me d/n cycle is just important.

I always thought AC1 would be even more atmospheric with a d/n cycle.

Like I said, I do not want a every-hour = 1 day cycle, I want a long one, but one where you can at least see a change.
It just adds a lot of atmo for me.

Farlander1991
07-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Hm, for some reason when people say why the absence of dynamic day/night cycle is beneficial state only the graphical advantages of static lighting. While true, there's one other important thing to consider. Resources. Not human/development resources, but console/computer resources. Here's an example. Shadows. Dynamic lighting has to be pretty constantly recalculated, since the main light source is ever so slightly constantly on the move (regardless of its speed, even if the day/night cycle is long, it will still be on the move otherwise the transitions will be jarring), so the console takes up resources to constantly keep the shadows of each building and tree and the 500 people (have you seen the ACU crowds?) in the vicinity in check. And that's just shadows. I'm not speaking of all the other effects that dynamic lighting covers.

Of course, the new-gen consoles are more than capable of doing that properly. However, let's think about the crowds. We want to have hundreds and hundreds and hundreds people on the screen at the same time, performing not only basic actions, but doing a variety of things both for immersion purposes and for systemic living breathing world that can be interacted with, and that again takes a VERY hefty amount of resources. And the new-gen consoles are more than capable of doing that properly as well.

But together, eh... it could be really problematic. Compromises have to be made on both sides to have both dynamic lighting (which was already stated that dynamic lighting is not as detailed and advanced as static) and a living breathing world (less actions, animations, behavioral states, etc. etc.). But in the end, crowds by concept are supposed to be like one of THE main things in an Assassin's Creed game. We have to feel like we're with the crowd, we have to have constant interaction with the crowd, we want the crowd to be as believable as possible because being a part of the crowd is half of what the AC concept is about. Crowds are very important. NPC behavior is very important. And you want that to be as advanced as possible, not only would that increase immersion greatly, but the playability as well.

On the other side, dynamic lighting, it's... not as important. Gameplay wise change of day doesn't really matter at all in Assassin's Creed. Sure, AC2 popped some messages about guard posts changing on sunset/sunrise, but... uhm... how much did that matter exactly? Not at all, really. And considering how resource heavy dynamic lighting can be, it makes sense for it to be streamlined and simplified.

Of course, in reality, it would be much more complicated than JUST battle between lighting and crowds, because there are just so many things in the game, but the point I'm trying to make, is that each game, even a super-duper-nextgen one, has a limit of resources it can use. Heck, Sands of Time couldn't have had more than 8 characters on the screen at the same time (and making more than 8 would mean compromising other things). And regardless of what the limit is, you want to prioritize the most important things. Which dynamic lighting is not. Yes, it's very cool for the atmosphere, but ultimately, it's not the only atmospheric thing in the series, and the resources it takes up could be used for something else.

JustPlainQuirky
07-01-2014, 05:32 PM
@Farlander

So you're saying the new generation of consoles cant handle it without making sacrifices?

http://i.imgur.com/jbevcEm.png

Farlander1991
07-01-2014, 05:40 PM
@Farlander

So you're saying the new generation of consoles cant handle it without making sacrifices?

http://i.imgur.com/jbevcEm.png

No PC master race faces please. :p Nothing can be created without sacrifices, regardless of how advanced something is. What's important is the ultimate goal, based on which you as a developer decide what to sacrifice.

JustPlainQuirky
07-01-2014, 05:43 PM
I couldn't resist http://i.imgur.com/fxwpeE0.gif

And yes I'm fully aware. Still a bit of a bummer.

Jexx21
07-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Hm, for some reason when people say why the absence of dynamic day/night cycle is beneficial state only the graphical advantages of static lighting. While true, there's one other important thing to consider. Resources. Not human/development resources, but console/computer resources. Here's an example. Shadows. Dynamic lighting has to be pretty constantly recalculated, since the main light source is ever so slightly constantly on the move (regardless of its speed, even if the day/night cycle is long, it will still be on the move otherwise the transitions will be jarring), so the console takes up resources to constantly keep the shadows of each building and tree and the 500 people (have you seen the ACU crowds?) in the vicinity in check. And that's just shadows. I'm not speaking of all the other effects that dynamic lighting covers.

Of course, the new-gen consoles are more than capable of doing that properly. However, let's think about the crowds. We want to have hundreds and hundreds and hundreds people on the screen at the same time, performing not only basic actions, but doing a variety of things both for immersion purposes and for systemic living breathing world that can be interacted with, and that again takes a VERY hefty amount of resources. And the new-gen consoles are more than capable of doing that properly as well.

But together, eh... it could be really problematic. Compromises have to be made on both sides to have both dynamic lighting (which was already stated that dynamic lighting is not as detailed and advanced as static) and a living breathing world (less actions, animations, behavioral states, etc. etc.). But in the end, crowds by concept are supposed to be like one of THE main things in an Assassin's Creed game. We have to feel like we're with the crowd, we have to have constant interaction with the crowd, we want the crowd to be as believable as possible because being a part of the crowd is half of what the AC concept is about. Crowds are very important. NPC behavior is very important. And you want that to be as advanced as possible, not only would that increase immersion greatly, but the playability as well.

On the other side, dynamic lighting, it's... not as important. Gameplay wise change of day doesn't really matter at all in Assassin's Creed. Sure, AC2 popped some messages about guard posts changing on sunset/sunrise, but... uhm... how much did that matter exactly? Not at all, really. And considering how resource heavy dynamic lighting can be, it makes sense for it to be streamlined and simplified.

Of course, in reality, it would be much more complicated than JUST battle between lighting and crowds, because there are just so many things in the game, but the point I'm trying to make, is that each game, even a super-duper-nextgen one, has a limit of resources it can use. Heck, Sands of Time couldn't have had more than 8 characters on the screen at the same time (and making more than 8 would mean compromising other things). And regardless of what the limit is, you want to prioritize the most important things. Which dynamic lighting is not. Yes, it's very cool for the atmosphere, but ultimately, it's not the only atmospheric thing in the series, and the resources it takes up could be used for something else.

you make the points I don't know how to because I don't know all the details

Thank you

but it would also allow for better NPC behaviors for certain times. nighttimes should be a lot less crowded now

Dome500
07-02-2014, 01:15 AM
Okay, lets assume that it's not possible without making sacrifices, would it be SO hard to make 4000 instead of 5000 NPCs on screen?
And even if we accept that and say that the AUTOMATIC light change has to go, then we could at LEAST have a function where we can manually CHOOSE a special time of day.
I mean come on, it's not like the night or day are not BOTH in Unity. They have to be made since the developers said that they will change at specific points.
So why not at LEAST leave us the option to say "okay, I'm free-roaming but it's day, I want it to be night "choose menu => night" Bam. Then I'm satisfied. So I can at least PRETEND it's getting Evening/Night/Morning/Day(Noon) Then I'm happy.

Jexx21
07-02-2014, 01:26 AM
Uh, yes, of course they would have an option. Animus hacks. It was in AC3.

Besides, there's probably going to be more settings than just night and day, Look at all the settings inFAMOUS: Second Son has.

Farlander1991
07-02-2014, 06:42 AM
Okay, lets assume that it's not possible without making sacrifices, would it be SO hard to make 4000 instead of 5000 NPCs on screen?

Not being a part of ACU team, I can't answer that question since I don't have enough information about the development process, but I can say that every game development question that beings with 'would it be so hard' doesn't take into consideration almost everything going on in development (in our case due to lack of transparency really, we don't know what's going on there) and considering how constant game dev hurdles are, the answer to that question would be 'yes it's hard/it won't fix the issue/etc.' ;)

In case of NPCs, I don't think that thousand is actually going to free up much resources, because most likely we're talking about the NPCs shown at a very far distance which should be very basic.

EDIT: There's also always possibility of design choices, btw. Maybe they have more specific changes between day and night, (like, changes in the behavioral and content sense, which previous games didn't really have), so they chose to make it static.

Assassin_M
07-02-2014, 07:03 AM
So why not at LEAST leave us the option to say "okay, I'm free-roaming but it's day, I want it to be night "choose menu => night" Bam. Then I'm satisfied. So I can at least PRETEND it's getting Evening/Night/Morning/Day(Noon) Then I'm happy.
You're posting under the impression that we wont be given the option to change the time of day through hacks or some other way, they never said we wont be able to...

LoyalACFan
07-02-2014, 12:22 PM
You're posting under the impression that we wont be given the option to change the time of day through hacks or some other way, they never said we wont be able to...

Precisely. That said, I hope it's done through something like the bed in W_D or GTA. I'd prefer that over having it in a menu.

ACfan443
07-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Precisely. That said, I hope it's done through something like the bed in W_D or GTA. I'd prefer that over having it in a menu.

Assuming Unity will have various selectable times throughout the day, you'd probably have to keep sleeping until your preferred lighting preset is eventually applied. And it would be a total inconvenience in general if it involves having to fast travel all the way back to your bed every time you feel like altering the ambiance or saving the game (one of my gripes with Rockstar games). I'd much prefer the function stored away in the menu for speedy access.

shobhit7777777
07-02-2014, 01:02 PM
What else should we discuss? The rest is nothing new.
And for me d/n cycle is just important.

What?

There is SOOOOO much to talk about!

The stealth gameplay loop...the way it all fits in....and for the first time ever...a seamless LOS stealth to Social Stealth transition.....****ING FACTIONS TO MANIPULATE!

Dev_Anj
07-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Add the lack of rooftop guards for seamless free running and the inter connectivity of interior and exterior areas that could be used very well in missions or by skilled players.

Farlander1991
07-02-2014, 02:03 PM
What?

There is SOOOOO much to talk about!

The stealth gameplay loop...the way it all fits in....and for the first time ever...a seamless LOS stealth to Social Stealth transition.....****ING FACTIONS TO MANIPULATE!

Poor shohbit. Can't get anyone excited as much as he is :p :D

LoyalACFan
07-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Assuming Unity will have various selectable times throughout the day, you'd probably have to keep sleeping until your preferred lighting preset is eventually applied. And it would be a total inconvenience in general if it involves having to fast travel all the way back to your bed every time you feel like altering the ambiance or saving the game (one of my gripes with Rockstar games). I'd much prefer the function stored away in the menu for speedy access.

If there's a safehouse/bed in every district, it wouldn't be bad IMO. I think RDR and GTA4 had a sufficient amount of safehouses (though in RDR you could pitch a tent wherever you wanted so it's a moot point). It was pretty annoying in GTA5 though that Michael and Franklin only had one safehouse each in the entire map. I get where they were coming from with Michael since he had a family, but it was a major pain to keep going back there every time I wanted to change clothes or sleep.

Dome500
07-02-2014, 04:51 PM

Yeah or like the Phantom Cigar in MGSV, that's also okay.
Or - like in Assassins Creed Brotherhood. Now that I mean visually, I know we never had the option to switch day/night in ACB but when Leonardo made us a new device it always forwarded time by about half a day and visually that was pretty cool.

Love it.
But that's the problem.
If you love it and have no point of critic there is not much to talk about, especially since we talked about a lot of that stuff on the Splinter Cell forums in other contexts already, and I talked about it on other Stealth Game forums in other contexts as well.

Regarding those "news" I can only say I love the developers for it, can't say more, nothing to complain about, options we will have are pretty clear and it's GREAT. That's all I can say about that.

Jexx21
07-02-2014, 05:27 PM
it can't be like watch dogs or GTA because those require a day/night cycle.

roostersrule2
07-02-2014, 05:34 PM
it can't be like watch dogs or GTA because those require a day/night cycle.He means that when you want to skip time you go to your hideout or safe house to go to sleep and then pick the time you want to go to rather then just going to the menu, to make it more realistic.

Jexx21
07-02-2014, 05:49 PM
eh

I think it would be sorta dumb because the Animus already explains the menu system.

Plus if that happens people expect to see a transition from that time to the other one which isn't possible in fixed lighting settings.

Assassin_M
07-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Plus if that happens people expect to see a transition from that time to the other one which isn't possible in fixed lighting settings.
Infamous second son..

Jexx21
07-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Hmm, forgot about that.

Jarek23
07-03-2014, 01:31 AM
The removal of day/night cycle is ridiculous.

Also, people have been complaining that there's already too many things popping up on screen and now they decided that adding icons for hiding spots, alarm bells etc is a good idea? Go ahead, make the game screen even more cluttered all the while making the gameplay even easier.

There are some great things I'm hearing about this game, but also a lot of awful ones.

Wolfmeister1010
07-03-2014, 02:31 AM
Okay okay Alex is very VERY bad at explaining things..He made a stupid explanation about the women thing instead of saying the actual reason, and now I believe what he is actually trying to say, is that the time of day is locked during missions. I believe that the dynamic cycle continues during missions in previous games.

Kinda weird and unnecessary though, considering that the time of day literally doesn't affect **** in Assassin's Creed. Unless now there is light based stealth? IDK.

l love Alex, he is a good developer, but he always makes the most ridiculous decisions regarding things I never thought would be an issue.

Jexx21
07-03-2014, 02:40 AM
Ugh if the day/night cycle is still in I'll be disappointed because I was looking forward to realistic crowd behaviors at night with some beautiful lanterns and just so much atmospheric feels

no more..

shobhit7777777
07-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Love it.
But that's the problem.
If you love it and have no point of critic there is not much to talk about, especially since we talked about a lot of that stuff on the Splinter Cell forums in other contexts already, and I talked about it on other Stealth Game forums in other contexts as well.

So the point of every discussion is critiquing things?

Not explore possibilities? Extrapolate possible gameplay scenarios and/or mechanics based on this info? Just sharing joy over how awesome it all may be?

Where the **** is your imagination?

shobhit7777777
07-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Poor shohbit. Can't get anyone excited as much as he is :p :D

How I see it:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rAELKfTcnnM/USk1vY2t6_I/AAAAAAAANGA/A2UkTEhgfQA/s1600/large-matrix-blu-ray7.jpg

What everyone is seeing:

http://morganrlewis.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/matrix_pdvd_1597.jpg?w=584&h=287

Jexx21
07-03-2014, 03:19 PM
I hope the whistle mechanic still exists

Dome500
07-03-2014, 05:22 PM
So the point of every discussion is critiquing things?

Not explore possibilities? Extrapolate possible gameplay scenarios and/or mechanics based on this info? Just sharing joy over how awesome it all may be?

Where the **** is your imagination?

No, but I thought I'd mention the day/night thing because I don't like it.
But you and me both have talked about such things SO MANY TIMES.

I mean I love talking about it once in a while. I'm just not in the mood at the moment.
I like the possibilities, but I can also see that such a topic can go on for weeks.
If you want to bring up a point do it, I'll gladly join in when I'm in the mood.

Btw. +100 for Matrix reference.

LoyalACFan
07-03-2014, 09:18 PM
eh

I think it would be sorta dumb because the Animus already explains the menu system.

There's no transition in any of the games I mentioned. The character goes to sleep, you pick a time of day to wake up, then he wakes up and BAM, new time of day.

Calvarok
07-03-2014, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the locked time of day thing was real. That lighting looks insane compared to the last two next-gen open world games with time of day cycles ubisoft has released (AC4 and Watch Dogs)

if that's the case though, it seems there's more than two times of day. saw some screens of sunset.

anyways, so what is this thread actually about any more?

Jexx21
07-03-2014, 10:19 PM
the matrix

rickprog
07-04-2014, 01:46 AM
anyways, so what is this thread actually about any more?

Still about experimenting with crowd controlling. I mean, if there was a day/night cycle and they spent more on developing the NPC's AI, there could be different reactions to what you or other NPC's do at any given time of the day. Perhaps that would consume too many resources, I don't know...

Calvarok
07-04-2014, 02:40 AM
Still about experimenting with crowd controlling. I mean, if there was a day/night cycle and they spent more on developing the NPC's AI, there could be different reactions to what you or other NPC's do at any given time of the day. Perhaps that would consume too many resources, I don't know...
I think what's more important is building solid systems to allow you to influence the crowd. crowd dispersal/density during different times of day is a whole other thing.

Jexx21
07-04-2014, 02:43 AM
whistling should affect the civilians and not just the guards

LoyalACFan
07-04-2014, 02:55 AM
whistling should affect the civilians and not just the guards

It would be cool if they glanced in your direction, but they shouldn't investigate. I mean, a guard, by definition, is supposed to check out weird noises and stuff. Some random dude on the street isn't going to bother.

Jexx21
07-04-2014, 02:58 AM
I dunno, I might.

I always tend to be one of the only people who actually look whenever someone makes a noise out of nowhere.

rickprog
07-04-2014, 03:00 AM
I think what's more important is building solid systems to allow you to influence the crowd. crowd dispersal/density during different times of day is a whole other thing.

I didn't mean necessarily dispersal or density, but, for example, people feeling more threatened at night because of the obvious hindering of visual perception could make them react on a different way than during daytime. That actually goes along with your idea of building solid systems, I believe. Whistling is one of those things that could be affected. Perhaps a random civilian could investigate where the sound came from if it was during daytime because it would be easier to see, but at night it could be more dangerous to do so, therefore they wouldn't investigate.

LoyalACFan
07-04-2014, 03:02 AM
I mean, I'd look, but I'm not gonna run around a dark corner looking for somebody suspiciously whistling.

Jexx21
07-04-2014, 03:04 AM
well whenever you're crouching in Watch Dogs people make comments about it.

although I personally think Watch Dogs civilians make too many comments. In real life, there are only going to be a couple of people out of many who actually comment on strange behavior unless it's like your jacking off at a bus stop.

LoyalACFan
07-04-2014, 03:09 AM
well whenever you're crouching in Watch Dogs people make comments about it.

although I personally think Watch Dogs civilians make too many comments. In real life, there are only going to be a couple of people out of many who actually comment on strange behavior unless it's like your jacking off at a bus stop.

I can't remember ever actually crouching in front of civilians. I did all the gang hideouts at night, so there weren't that many people around. Lots of them make comments when you get a gun out, but that's to be expected. It's cool that the comments change based on your reputation though.

Jexx21
07-04-2014, 03:18 AM
also we need to see civilians playing cash run, since we see them playing NVZN a lot. although I think Watch Dogs should have got rid of the standard mini games (poker, drinking, shell games) anyway and replaced them all with the virtual phone games, to emphasize that aspect of Watch_Dogs more.

ugh I'm getting off-topic, sorry

Wolfmeister1010
07-04-2014, 03:42 AM
also we need to see civilians playing cash run, since we see them playing NVZN a lot. although I think Watch Dogs should have got rid of the standard mini games (poker, drinking, shell games) anyway and replaced them all with the virtual phone games, to emphasize that aspect of Watch_Dogs more.

ugh I'm getting off-topic, sorry

You do realize that not all citizens are parkour masters like Aiden..right?

Jexx21
07-04-2014, 03:43 AM
doesn't matter, you should see some as it is a game the rest of the citizens have access to.

Shahkulu101
07-04-2014, 03:47 AM
Yeah how exactly are those games supposed to work, is Aiden sent into a trance or does the environment literally change just for him? They never really explained it, I guess it's one of those things only the most pedantic gamers care about. :p

Wolfmeister1010
07-04-2014, 03:49 AM
doesn't matter, you should see some as it is a game the rest of the citizens have access to.

Christ sometimes you say things that just..

Shahkulu101
07-04-2014, 03:55 AM
What? It does make sense that other citizens would play the AR games.... They aren't there just for Aiden, although I think having them just makes the game world feel unrealistic and Cash Run was an idea quickly whipped up because they wanted you to use parkour more - I mean none of the missions are really parkour based. I would have liked to see some epic chases...

Obviously if there were citizens doing Cash Run it would have to be a minimal amount, since as you say not everyone is a parkour artist. Although to be honest, what Aiden does doesn't look that hard.

Jexx21
07-04-2014, 03:56 AM
It's not like Aiden's the only person who knows parkour in all of Chicago.

But hey, if you want to insult me that's your prerogative, I'm sure you're more pleasant in person.

Calvarok
07-04-2014, 05:34 AM
I didn't mean necessarily dispersal or density, but, for example, people feeling more threatened at night because of the obvious hindering of visual perception could make them react on a different way than during daytime. That actually goes along with your idea of building solid systems, I believe. Whistling is one of those things that could be affected. Perhaps a random civilian could investigate where the sound came from if it was during daytime because it would be easier to see, but at night it could be more dangerous to do so, therefore they wouldn't investigate.
that's probably a bit too much on top of all the other systems at the moment. maybe in the future.

one thing that I'd like them to get to first is making sure that guards and civilians have the same or close to the same level of awareness. right now civillians detect you and make comments even if you're in areas where guards wouldn't be able to see you. they also comment if your weapon is unsheathed and mention that guards won't like that, but guards don't give a **** about you proudly displaying a sword in front of their faces, as long as you haven't actually attacked them.

basic things like that need to be fixed before additional complex things get added, imo.

pacmanate
07-04-2014, 01:43 PM
It's not like Aiden's the only person who knows parkour in all of Chicago.

And its not like he does much. All he knows is how to climb things, use a wall for a little vault and do a roll.

joelsantos24
07-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Huh? Weather in AC3 is automatic, it's scripted (or turned off) only in a few certain missions.

Not to mention that all main missions in AC series (and a hefty part of side ones) have a set fixed day-time that wasn't automatic. It seems though that we'll have something closer to AC1 where open-world will have fixed day-time as well.

I would not be worried about having fixed time in Unity. To be perfectly honest, and in accordance with some other opinions on the Thread, I do not really know what it means, in the first place. Are we going to have only day-time missions, much like Assassin's 1, or are we going to have missions both in day and night-time, but with time not evolving as rapidly as it did in previous chapters?

GreySkellig
07-04-2014, 03:38 PM
I assume it means that time will progress according to cutscenes. I.e., in previous titles such as Black Flag, time was meant to elapse between missions. But if you didn't let that time elapse, you'd jump into a cutscene and suddenly it's the next morning, or a week later, or in the case of one Blackbeard mission, and entire month later. I think that Unity will address this by only moving time forward in these instances (perhaps also for reasons of dynamic lighting). If you think about it, it was a little odd when somebody would say "meet me at such and such a place as soon as you can", you'd fiddle around for a few in-game days, and then when you showed up things would be played like you'd come straight from the previous mission.

Hopefully we will have a bed or an Animus Hack by Unity's end which will allow us to advance time manually, as I rather dislike the idea of being stuck in the moment the main story ends for the rest of my playthrough.

I do assume there will still be night-time missions.

Kagurra
07-04-2014, 03:46 PM
I assume it means that time will progress according to cutscenes. I.e., in previous titles such as Black Flag, time was meant to elapse between missions. But if you didn't let that time elapse, you'd jump into a cutscene and suddenly it's the next morning, or a week later, or in the case of one Blackbeard mission, and entire month later. I think that Unity will address this by only moving time forward in these instances (perhaps also for reasons of dynamic lighting). If you think about it, it was a little odd when somebody would say "meet me at such and such a place as soon as you can", you'd fiddle around for a few in-game days, and then when you showed up things would be played like you'd come straight from the previous mission.

Hopefully we will have a bed or an Animus Hack by Unity's end which will allow us to advance time manually, as I rather dislike the idea of being stuck in the moment the main story ends for the rest of my playthrough.

I do assume there will still be night-time missions.

Perhaps the day-night cycle has only been removed during missions, so you don't feel rushed if it starts getting dark or the sun starts coming up, and the free-roam cycle has been extended so it seems more realistic. That is what I would do.

GreySkellig
07-04-2014, 03:47 PM
That does sound reasonable, but I don't think it's what Amancio meant.

Farlander1991
07-04-2014, 03:56 PM
If you think about it, it was a little odd when somebody would say "meet me at such and such a place as soon as you can", you'd fiddle around for a few in-game days, and then when you showed up things would be played like you'd come straight from the previous mission.

I never found that weird due to the nature of the Animus, because in what order you do things isn't necessary in what order the ancestor did it, as we're essentially navigating through different parts of the memories. I.e. if I go complete a thieving race side-mission while I have to go save Caterina from the Borgia clutches... well, it doesn't mean that Ezio did it that way, just that I initiated those memories in that order.

Jexx21
07-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Perhaps the day-night cycle has only been removed during missions, so you don't feel rushed if it starts getting dark or the sun starts coming up, and the free-roam cycle has been extended so it seems more realistic. That is what I would do.
that's what we've had with a lot of the missions in the previous games and would be completely counter-active to the point of taking away the day/night cycle as it wouldn't help the lighting improve and it wouldn't make programming proper crowd behaviors any easier.

joelsantos24
07-04-2014, 07:51 PM
I never found that weird due to the nature of the Animus, because in what order you do things isn't necessary in what order the ancestor did it, as we're essentially navigating through different parts of the memories. I.e. if I go complete a thieving race side-mission while I have to go save Caterina from the Borgia clutches... well, it doesn't mean that Ezio did it that way, just that I initiated those memories in that order.
Exactly. Once we consider the fact that we are reliving memories, and not actually living them, it makes perfect sense. If the developers did something just for the sake of making it easier for us to orientate ourselves in a dark environment (I remember night-time missions in Assassin's 2, where I had to adjust the blackness depth of my HD TV screen, because I could not see a thing), that is not necessarily bad, but it subverts the true meaning of the memory. If something is meant to be dark, then so be it.

rickprog
07-05-2014, 03:05 AM
I guess Ubisoft were unconsciously clever enough to have a tool like the Animus to explain all those particular details ;)

Dome500
07-05-2014, 08:00 PM
last two next-gen open world games with time of day cycles ubisoft has released (AC4 and Watch Dogs)

Ubisoft did never release any next gen title before.

AC4 and WD are Cross-Gen titles, which means they had to keep in mind last-gen capabilities as well which restricts them in development on all fronts IMO.
So I do not consider any previous Ubisoft title truly "next-gen".

Yeah. That's what I would do as well.

Anyway, in my ideal scenario we will have a LONG day/night cycle (like 12 hours = 1 day or so), we can somehow fast forward the time (a la safehouse or Phantom Cigar or in the menu as cheat) and withing the missions there will be a SET time.

Some people say it's because of the lighting and because of so many civilians, but the developers clearly stated it was because they didn't want you to feel "rushed". So it makes sense they removed the automated day/night cycle WITHIN MISSIONS.

I would really love to get additional input on this from a developer, ComDev or in a Q&A.

And @moderators => maybe someone can forward this topic to the developers since it is discussed a lot here.

Jexx21
07-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Ugh, just lengthening the day/night cycle wouldn't fix any of the issues in my opinion.

Black_Widow9
07-06-2014, 01:16 AM
I would really love to get additional input on this from a developer, ComDev or in a Q&A.

And @moderators => maybe someone can forward this topic to the developers since it is discussed a lot here.

As soon as we have more information we'll let you know. ;)

Assassin_M
07-06-2014, 04:07 AM
From now on, it'll be AC Ubity...Ubisoft's greatest experiment.

pacmanate
07-06-2014, 03:09 PM
12 hours for 1 day cycle? NOOOO way. You can 100% an AC game in under 24 (minus Black flag and its random *** chests in the caribbean)

Im liking the restricted time of day now, just finished Second Son again and the lighting is amazing for every time of day.

Dome500
07-06-2014, 05:18 PM
12 hours for 1 day cycle? NOOOO way. You can 100% an AC game in under 24 (minus Black flag and its random *** chests in the caribbean)

Im liking the restricted time of day now, just finished Second Son again and the lighting is amazing for every time of day.

Okay, for all I care it can be 4 or 5 hours = 1 day.

The thing is, I personally do not care one bit about the lighting. For me the atmosphere of the day/night change and the actual gameplay are more important.

Hell, I wouldn't mind if there is no real cycle, really. All I want is being able to change the time of day if I want. At ANY time I want. If that is provided I am 100% fine.

I don't mind if they say the calculation of all those lights in a real cycle is difficult with so many NPCs and details on the screen, that is okay (although only because next-gen is pretty new and they are not experienced with it so far). But give me the option to change the time of day. There is no real-time calculations involved if you can change the time of day in the menu. I'd like to choose between 4 times - Morning, Day/Noon, Evening, Night. That's all I want. Hell, I'm even satisfied if it's only Day or Night, just give me the option to switch the time of day if I am in the mood. That really adds a lot for me.

Jexx21
07-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Fixed lighting would provide better atmosphere though...

And, no, fixed lighting will always look better than dynamic lighting, no matter what the hardware is. And everyone is saying that there will probably be a choice to change the time of day, at least after you complete the story if not before. After all, AC3, did give the option to switch seasons.

LoyalACFan
07-07-2014, 12:24 AM

And, no, fixed lighting will always look better than dynamic lighting, no matter what the hardware is. And everyone is saying that there will probably be a choice to change the time of day, at least after you complete the story if not before. After all, AC3, did give the option to switch seasons.

Hopefully we'll be able to save afterward though. Not being able to save after activating cheats in AC4 sucked.

Addie2
11-08-2014, 02:15 PM

Lol, what a crappy assassin that is only out in daylight. If they want to have it set it sould be more realistic to have it at night ONLY. GTA5 looks fine, all other ac games looks fine, even waychdogs looks fina with day/night cycle. Make it like watch dogs did. Make the time speed up to the right time when your starting a misson.
If the next gen is so powerful then why can't they make people go inside. Make more people be at taverns etc.
Skyrim did that and there were mods that made it even better. Can't se why this shouldn't be done. A little bit better light effects and get rid of immersion? No thanks. Give me a day/night cycle or the free roam will be dull very quick.

Really ? people don't like cyckle in open world games?? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU???

Assassins work at night, not on day. End of story.

But maybe they'll implement it smart. But I've seen the hour gameplay videos and after a while the day gets boring very fast.. Everything looks the same all the time, no change at all. And that makes it very boring.

jayjay275
11-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Lol, what a crappy assassin that is only out in daylight. If they want to have it set it sould be more realistic to have it at night ONLY. GTA5 looks fine, all other ac games looks fine, even waychdogs looks fina with day/night cycle. Make it like watch dogs did. Make the time speed up to the right time when your starting a misson.
If the next gen is so powerful then why can't they make people go inside. Make more people be at taverns etc.
Skyrim did that and there were mods that made it even better. Can't se why this shouldn't be done. A little bit better light effects and get rid of immersion? No thanks. Give me a day/night cycle or the free roam will be dull very quick.

Really ? people don't like cyckle in open world games?? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU???

Assassins work at night, not on day. End of story.

But maybe they'll implement it smart. But I've seen the hour gameplay videos and after a while the day gets boring very fast.. Everything looks the same all the time, no change at all. And that makes it very boring.
Cannot take this post seriously..