PDA

View Full Version : You have to master free running in ACU!

king-hailz
06-26-2014, 11:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Z1DhO58Zs

I think its awesome... it will actually feel like you are doing something while free running!

HoIcon
06-26-2014, 11:23 AM
Nice

SHADOWGARVIN
06-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Who is that idiot talking in the video? "AC hasn't moved forward since the second one". Did that fool even play Black Flag? Is he joking?

roostersrule2
06-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Who is that idiot talking in the video? "AC hasn't moved forward since the second one". Did that fool even play Black Flag? Is he joking?I wouldn't use BF as your reference point. AC3 maybe, but not AC4.

SHADOWGARVIN
06-26-2014, 01:07 PM
I disagree. I think AC4 was a big step forward. I loved it. It's one of the best in the series and much better then AC3.

roostersrule2
06-26-2014, 01:15 PM
I disagree. I think AC4 was a big step forward. I loved it. It's one of the best in the series and much better then AC3.Agreed, it was better then AC3.

However it was a hardly a big step forward from AC3.

Dev_Anj
06-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Wait, that's it? You have to tap the up and down buttons to get a speed boost in the respective direction? I sure hope there's more to the parkour than that.

SHADOWGARVIN
06-26-2014, 01:25 PM
Everything in AC4 was far superior. The naval alone was a big step forward. The boarding was amazing! The combat was much better. The dual wielded swordfighting was fantastic.

Aphex_Tim
06-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Sounds cool; but I'm also a bit worried about these controls since it sounds like you can't free-run and control the camera at the same time (with a controller); at least not without having your hand in an awkward position like in every AC game until AC3. I hope we get to customize the controls since I'd much rather have these "Parkour Up, Parkour Down" buttons on the triggers or shoulder buttons than on any of the face buttons.

Markaccus
06-26-2014, 01:50 PM
I really like the idea of a slight emphasis on being good at free running. I was never the best at it (i don't think so anyway) but i have always managed to be fair-to-good at it. It has always been a major plus in these games, so it's great they spent time on developing it more.

Moultonborough
06-26-2014, 02:00 PM
I liked it being one button in AC3/4. Pre-AC3 pressing two buttons at once all the time made my hand cramp after awhile. Hope if you don't want a speed boost you can still free run with one button. That first leaked image comes to mind though.

Markaccus
06-26-2014, 02:06 PM
Running away is very important :-D But then again i am a coward :p

Aphex_Tim
06-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Running away is very important :-D But then again i am a coward :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8IkbCeZ9to

Jexx21
06-26-2014, 04:18 PM
wait, people hated bales of hay?

This dude is weird.

I swear, if the Leap of Faith wasn't in an AC game... it would just be weird. I'd be okay with it being removed from the game if the main character was a Templar, but I'd also want the game to control quite differently in general if the main character was a Templar.

JustPlainQuirky
06-26-2014, 04:22 PM
Oh my god. No more Automatic's Creed?

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120713050316/youtubepoopbr/images/9/9b/Yes!_Yes!_M._Bison.gif

I feel like almost all my complaints have been heard and answered!

Now all I need is for the Narrative and characterization to hold up. (Yes that includes Modern Day)

Hans684
06-26-2014, 04:28 PM
wait, people hated bales of hay?

This dude is weird.

I swear, if the Leap of Faith wasn't in an AC game... it would just be weird. I'd be okay with it being removed from the game if the main character was a Templar, but I'd also want the game to control quite differently in general if the main character was a Templar.

So the Assassin games is open word(freedom), then the Templar games can be linear(Control). Like the games representing what both orders fight for.

Sushiglutton
06-26-2014, 04:30 PM
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120510103940/invasorzim/es/images/8/88/Mother-of-god-template.jpg

Omg that's exactly what I have been saying :D!!! Add a bit of interactivity for going fast, while still keep it simple to navigate around. Super excited for this! well played Ubi, well played :)

Jexx21
06-26-2014, 04:37 PM
So the Assassin games is open word(freedom), then the Templar games can be linear(Control). Like the games representing what both orders fight for.

Yea, it's what I've been saying. If AC ever did Tempalr spin-offs I would want them to be linear games.

JustPlainQuirky
06-26-2014, 04:40 PM
How would a linear templar game work? You go through a pre-determined path and try to avoid being assassinated?

Pretty cool. But likely limits gameplay.

Jexx21
06-26-2014, 04:43 PM
It could be like BioShock or Tomb Raider, where they set you through a linear path but you're free to backtrack whenever you want. The games' mechanics would have to be designed for a linear experience.

JustPlainQuirky
06-26-2014, 04:47 PM
I found Tomb Raider's gameplay pretty uninspired TBH. But I had fun with Bioshock (mainly for the story and beauty and fun swiinging) so we'll see.

edit:

bioshock infinite*'s

I liked bioshock's story too. Not so much the enemies and atmosphere tho.

Jexx21
06-26-2014, 04:50 PM
I wasn't talking about their gameplay, just the way their maps and world functioned where you could go back to previous areas.

Why would I want a Templar game to be a shooter? >.>

JustPlainQuirky
06-26-2014, 04:57 PM
lol a shooter templar game.

would a templar game even have parkour elements or would it be more like strategdy because you are a weak templar? hmm

Jexx21
06-26-2014, 05:04 PM
I was hoping that it would have been more of an in-depth sword fighting game. Parkour would still be there in some form but not to the same extent as the Assassins. I was also thinking maybe having dialogue choices for manipulating other characters.

JustPlainQuirky
06-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Would be cool. Especially with more focus on non-combat.

HeedfulMass4856
06-26-2014, 05:16 PM
It's about time they expand on the dull "hold this button" freerunning system.

JustPlainQuirky
06-26-2014, 05:18 PM
^agreed.

I was SO upset when I played AC3 for the first time and found out that's how the free-running worked.

Overtime I got used to it but I was really underwhelmed. I wanted more control of my character's ability to aim landings.

pacmanate
06-26-2014, 05:29 PM
"everyone hates bales of hay" ... okay then.

And how is "mastery" tapping a button at the right time, lol.

I do agree AC hasn't really moved forward since AC2. AC3 doesn't even count to me cause it was a mess, but quality rise there has been no jump.

He did bring up a point that's making me wonder something. He said in past games you could just drop down, this is true, and as well as this you could drop insane heights with little fall damage.

I wonder if parkour down means fall damage has been increased, as to warrant people actually using this feature.

JustPlainQuirky
06-26-2014, 05:36 PM
Isn't mastery of most games essentially tapping the button at the right time?

Aside from the occasional flick of the control stick?

Sesheenku
06-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Who is that idiot talking in the video? "AC hasn't moved forward since the second one". Did that fool even play Black Flag? Is he joking?

You mean that game that didn't innovate anything and just slapped some pirate crap in? Oh yeah real step forward.

He has a point the game hasn't had a good and proper step forward since 2, 3 tried and failed hard to improve anything.

pacmanate
06-26-2014, 10:17 PM
You mean that game that didn't innovate anything and just slapped some pirate crap in? Oh yeah real step forward.

He has a point the game hasn't had a good and proper step forward since 2, 3 tried and failed hard to improve anything.

Agreed. Plus Black Flag just did throw in pirates (Not assassiny) and just added more side content.

Sesheenku
06-26-2014, 11:20 PM
Agreed. Plus Black Flag just did throw in pirates (Not assassiny) and just added more side content.

People hype the hell out of it just because it's the only good pirate game in recent memory but I was under the impression that the series is called Assassins Creed so you know, it's not a very good AC since more than half of it is about pirating...

Will_Lucky
06-26-2014, 11:25 PM
Nah I considered AC4 a fully fledged Assassin game. It took the series forward in a couple of ways such as the open world which is by far superior to its predecessors. And Naval was a fantastic addition, expanded superbly and a real step forward.

pacmanate
06-26-2014, 11:59 PM
And Naval was a fantastic addition, expanded superbly and a real step forward.

But it had nothing to do with assassin things

Will_Lucky
06-27-2014, 12:13 AM
But it had nothing to do with assassin things

Depends on your definition of the Assassins. I personally had no problem with an Assassin-Captain.

Sesheenku
06-27-2014, 12:49 AM
Nah I considered AC4 a fully fledged Assassin game. It took the series forward in a couple of ways such as the open world which is by far superior to its predecessors. And Naval was a fantastic addition, expanded superbly and a real step forward.

Disagree again.

The world wasn't even that big, it was a few islands which I'm pretty sure if combined BARELY add up to the total traversable land of AC3 and definitely pale in comparison to the total traversable land in AC2.

Then on top of that the bloody islands are just hallways... the jungle is a stupid hallway... they branch off into hallways, what the hell is that?

The ONLY thing it innovated in the world sense is less loading screens. That's IT. The islands might as well be levels from Final Fantasy 13, go here, branch off to this hallway, then return to the main hallway to continue the game.

Then on top of that there's a ton of USELESS islands. There was no incentive to explore at LEAST 30% of the land.

Oh and get out of here with Naval being stepped forward. Naval is SIDE CONTENT it's not related to assassins, I play this game to be an assassin not plunder villages and steal booty.

That's like saying it would be a step forward if Kingdom Hearts made half of their game an FPS game. Oh yeah totally legit. Do you read what you type? Cause it's awful.

Bottom line, unrelated content is unrelated and NOT a step forward.

SixKeys
06-27-2014, 01:28 AM
Disagree again.

The world wasn't even that big, it was a few islands which I'm pretty sure if combined BARELY add up to the total traversable land of AC3 and definitely pale in comparison to the total traversable land in AC2.

Then on top of that the bloody islands are just hallways... the jungle is a stupid hallway... they branch off into hallways, what the hell is that?

The ONLY thing it innovated in the world sense is less loading screens. That's IT. The islands might as well be levels from Final Fantasy 13, go here, branch off to this hallway, then return to the main hallway to continue the game.

Then on top of that there's a ton of USELESS islands. There was no incentive to explore at LEAST 30% of the land.

Oh and get out of here with Naval being stepped forward. Naval is SIDE CONTENT it's not related to assassins, I play this game to be an assassin not plunder villages and steal booty.

That's like saying it would be a step forward if Kingdom Hearts made half of their game an FPS game. Oh yeah totally legit. Do you read what you type? Cause it's awful.

I take it you also had major issues with upgrading shops in AC2-ACR? After all, this is Assassin's Creed, not Banker's Creed. Platforming tombs? Please, this isn't Prince of Persia's Creed. They were just hallways with treasure at the end. And what about collecting those feathers? This ain't no Ornithologist's Creed.

Naval had more to do with being an assassin than renovating buildings had in the Ezio games. At least when you're plundering ships you're actually killing people. AC4 allowed you to steathily swim up to a ship, kill only the captain and sneak out before being seen. That sure sounds like assassinating to me.

Shahkulu101
06-27-2014, 01:30 AM
Do not argue with a 'pirates creed' person.

They do not understand reason.

Jexx21
06-27-2014, 01:32 AM
why do you keep insulting people for thinking Black Flag was an improvement for the series?

JustPlainQuirky
06-27-2014, 01:50 AM
Black Flag was very innovative gameplay-wise.

Plot was turrible tho.

Fatal-Feit
06-27-2014, 02:31 AM

Plot was turrible tho.

Modern Day aside, Edward's story wasn't any worse than the Ezio Trilogy in terms of plot-points. At least it endorsed stealth over parkouring terrains.

You might as well call the Ezio Trilogy, Pirate's Creed as well. Or Bandit's Creed since the gameplay alternates from anything to do with Assassins to more about plunder and richness. The only difference is that players were never able to sale a ship, however, ships were still a HUGE impact on Ezio's adventures. Especially Revelations.

AC:IV was as much of an Assassin's Creed as the Ezio Trilogy, if not, more since it actually dived back into the Creed's meaning. You can't argue that.

LoyalACFan
06-27-2014, 06:41 AM
Sounds cool; but I'm also a bit worried about these controls since it sounds like you can't free-run and control the camera at the same time (with a controller); at least not without having your hand in an awkward position like in every AC game until AC3. I hope we get to customize the controls since I'd much rather have these "Parkour Up, Parkour Down" buttons on the triggers or shoulder buttons than on any of the face buttons.

-Middle finger on the trigger
-Index finger on the camera
-Thumb on the face buttons

The good ol' Assassin's Claw ;)

I guess I never had any problems with the camera in AC, because my hands are big and on most games I use the trigger with my middle finger anyway. Free-running controls pre-AC3 didn't seem that unnatural.

Rugterwyper32
06-27-2014, 07:31 AM
I always found the claw incredibly uncomfortable.
Frankly, I'll be fine if I can control speed based on pressure on the right trigger alone. I don't mind when it comes down to jumping around going back to pressing A or B or even holding it for a bit. So yeah, so long as sprinting is not RT+A, I'll be happy.

who-can-i-be
06-27-2014, 08:59 AM
How is the "tap a button to climb faster" feature any different from the Climb Leap from AC2?

phoenix-force411
06-27-2014, 09:29 AM
ACIV was a big step into somewhere. ACIII took the path somewhere completely unexpected. Although ACIV is fun and what not, the improvements weren't entirely major to the point where I'm "wow'd." ACIV felt pretty much like the Multiplayer, rehashed with some good and bad's. I'm sure everyone was amazed that ACIV had a crouching system in the Demo, but as we all know, it was taken out, and probably because they wanted to showcase that in Unity instead. I think it was d*ck move to even show it, and that alone pisses me off.

Farlander1991
06-27-2014, 09:45 AM
it was taken out, and probably because they wanted to showcase that in Unity instead. I think it was d*ck move to even show it, and that alone pisses me off.

a) The crouching was cut out because the LoS system drew a line between the guard's head and Edward's head, and the scale of the world and the objects they were working for (for free-running and climbing) didn't account for crouching which meant that if a little bit of Edward's head would stick out the guards would see him - and that wasn't fun or intuitive at all.
b) The E3 demo didn't show the crouching system they tried, it showed the compromise they thought to do which would have us crouch a bit after exiting the stalking zone, crouching would still be automatic/area-specific only
c) Developers aren't psychics, they don't know that they're going to cut something beforehand (if they would, they wouldn't have spent time trying to implement that in the first place), so the **** move part feels unnecessary.

pacmanate
06-27-2014, 10:59 AM
How was AC4 "very innovative" at all?

RinoTheBouncer
06-27-2014, 11:15 AM
How was AC4 "very innovative" at all?

My thoughts exactly, LOL.

ACIV took the hunting, sailing and tree climbing from ACIII, not to mention the look and feel of the system of the game and did a few tweaks. There was no innovation except for the swords and pistols. They only made the sailing occupy a larger portion than it did in ACIII.

Mr_Shade
06-27-2014, 11:18 AM
oh and back to free running..

Glad they are making it slightly more rewarding - not looking forward to the complaints from people who don't understand it though..

I'm having flash backs to the up roar about swapping the triggers on PS3 / PS4 games..

Shiggyz49
06-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Everything in AC4 was far superior. The combat was much better. The dual wielded swordfighting was fantastic.
The combat was much worse in AC4 compared to AC3. No weapon variety, and the enemy types were much worse. Oh, a captain? Guess I'll just kick this guy in the balls... again.

Excluding naval combat, how exactly was Black Flag innovative in the core freerunning/combat/stealth gameplay of the series? All of these mechanics were ripped straight from AC3. Trash on AC3 all you want but the game was actually a pretty big step forward for the series, Black Flag just took all those improvements and put them in a more focused, polished game.

Aphex_Tim
06-27-2014, 11:32 AM
-Middle finger on the trigger
-Index finger on the camera
-Thumb on the face buttons

The good ol' Assassin's Claw ;)

I guess I never had any problems with the camera in AC, because my hands are big and on most games I use the trigger with my middle finger anyway. Free-running controls pre-AC3 didn't seem that unnatural.

As I said, awkward position. :p Even more so than what I used to do (middlefinger on trigger, Index on face buttons and thumb on camera). I have relatively short fingers so having my index finger on camera and thumb on face buttons even hurts my hand! Especially on the much bulkier Dualshock 4.
So fingers crossed (pun not intended) for control customization! If I could "Parkour Up" with R1 and "Parkour Down" with L1, I'd be a happy man!

pacmanate
06-27-2014, 11:40 AM
All of these mechanics were ripped straight from AC3. Trash on AC3 all you want but the game was actually a pretty big step forward for the series, Black Flag just took all those improvements and put them in a more focused, polished game.

Nah, AC3 didn't innovate much.

1. The new combat wasn't innovative in any sense, it used the same principles as other games and just had different animations.
2. Free running wasn't innovative either. The animations changed, sure, but it still wasn't fluid. Not to mention the breaks between animations. Say running towards a gap, the protag would stop, jump, then stop, then start running. Not to mention the stupid air time.

And thats about it really.

king-hailz
06-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Nah, AC3 didn't innovate much.

1. The new combat wasn't innovative in any sense, it used the same principles as other games and just had different animations.
2. Free running wasn't innovative either. The animations changed, sure, but it still wasn't fluid. Not to mention the breaks between animations. Say running towards a gap, the protag would stop, jump, then stop, then start running. Not to mention the stupid air time.

And thats about it really.

AC3's combat animations actually ripped of a lot of brotherhoods animations...

Aphex_Tim
06-27-2014, 03:01 PM
AC3's combat animations actually ripped of a lot of brotherhoods animations...

It's argued that it could be the other way around though, since both games have been in development at the same time. I think I heard something about that AC3 was meant to introduce the killstreak mechanic but that it was included in Brotherhood already once it was decided that it would be a full game instead of DLC for AC2.

SixKeys
06-27-2014, 03:16 PM
It's argued that it could be the other way around though, since both games have been in development at the same time. I think I heard something about that AC3 was meant to introduce the killstreak mechanic but that it was included in Brotherhood already once it was decided that it would be a full game instead of DLC for AC2.

AC3 devs started work around the end of 2009/early 2010. I highly doubt ACB, which was maybe 1/5th through development by then, ripped off any planned AC3 features since AC3 was barely in its baby shoes.

Sushiglutton
06-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Never knew the claw was an issue until the AC3 devs called it out (never knew it had a name even). Then they created a parkour system which I did have issues with. Now the claw is back. Praise the Claw!

pacmanate
06-27-2014, 05:34 PM
I never thought the claw was annoying if im honest. When they said they took it out cause people were jumping off buildings my face was literally like this:

:|

I will never understand how you can jump off a building when you can clearly see the edge.

LoyalACFan
06-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Never knew the claw was an issue until the AC3 devs called it out (never knew it had a name even). Then they created a parkour system which I did have issues with. Now the claw is back. Praise the Claw!

http://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1128207/toy-story-aliens-o.gif

Locopells
06-27-2014, 07:39 PM
"You have saved our lives..."

Aphex_Tim
06-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Classic xD

phoenix-force411
06-27-2014, 10:33 PM

Glad they are making it slightly more rewarding - not looking forward to the complaints from people who don't understand it though..

I'm having flash backs to the up roar about swapping the triggers on PS3 / PS4 games..
I think the devs should have reversed the triggers as it did for PS4. So far, PS3 and PC are unable to slowly pace on beams.

pacmanate
06-28-2014, 01:00 AM

Those people complaining about trigger switches are messed up. The controllers designed to make your fingers naturally go to the back triggers. Holding a PS4 controller whilst having your fingers constantly on R1 and L1 is awkward

Markaccus
06-30-2014, 11:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8IkbCeZ9to

Just seen this! Good work. Thats my favorite scene from that film.

"For chickening out, and bugger1ng off and p1ssing off home" et.c :D