PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed trilogy modern day story restructuring

Farlander1991
06-25-2014, 08:47 PM
This is one of those 'wishful-wishy' posts that won't ever come true, but I was just thinking, if AC was still a trilogy, and had one plotline instead of two, how could the modern day be structured to make for a good trilogy? A well told one. I just want to say that some of these things/points can be made only in retrospective and most likely wouldn't have been possible even if AC stayed a trilogy, but, you know, we'll see.

I base this restructuring of the assumption that the scope of the modern day stays pretty much the same as it does in current AC1/AC2/AC3 games, that is:
AC1 - a small hub with e-mails
AC2 - three small playable sections
AC3 - three hefty missions plus a hub.
With the exceptions of some elements that needed to be changed for the Modern Day story, the past stories stay pretty much the same in this version.

AC1
------
Stays pretty much the same.
We're introduced to Desmond, Vidic, Lucy, their viewpoints and the Satellite plan. Vidic wants world peace with the Apple, Lucy feels like she owes him but is secretly an Assassin and convinces Desmond that the Templars have to be stopped, Desmond is reluctant but at the end gains confidence and tells Lucy he wants to plan for an escape. The game ends with Templars getting Altair's PoE map, and Desmond's bleeding effect is activated.

AC2
------
1. Starts almost the same way. Lucy and Desmond get out of Abstergo.
2. On the way out, we are introduced to Daniel Cross (and tons of guards). Since Desmond can't fight properly, he is getting the kicked **** out of. Lucy and Desmond are saved thanks to Daniel's Cross bleeding effect kicking in (Desmond wonders what the hell is that?) and making him crazy, and Shaun/Rebecca arriving in a van to take them.
3. In the van, Desmond meets Shaun/Rebecca and is put in the Animus. Abstergo knows about a Vault in Italy where Ezio has hidden the Apple they planned to take, the problem is they need to find an exact location of the Vault and how to open it. We need to find the key to the Vault and take the Apple inside before Abstergo does.
4. In the past, alongside other father's posession, Ezio also gets a strange key, which he hides in a safe place in Monteriggioni. The team figures out it might still be there and drives to Monteriggioni while Desmond continues going through Ezio's memories.
5. In the middle of the game the team gets to Modern Day Monterrigioni. Desmond's bleeding effect kicks in and starts causing problems, but they manage to find the key. Now they only need to find the Vault. Abstergo's already here, Daniel Cross tries to stop them, but Desmond can stand on his own now and does not get his *** kicked fully. The team escapes,continues driving in the van.
6. At the end of the game, a wounded Ezio finds the entrance to the vault, opens it and collapses unconscious when he gets inside. The team decides that's enough info to go on, though, and goes to find the vault, opens it with the key, and gets the Apple. Only after they do, Lucy says she's sorry and the war has to stop, and stabs Desmond. Vidic and Cross are behind in the Vault, capture Shaun/Rebecca, and Vidic tells some kind of cool speech about the nature of the world or something. Desmond collapses unconscious, wounded.
7. It is not the end of the game, however. As the bleeding effect kicks in, and we get back to Ezio's time. He wakes up, and goes to put the Apple inside. An image of Juno appears. She speaks directly to Desmond, and says she knows what fate the world awaits if Abstergo launches the Satellite. Desmond needs to find the Grand Temple which can activate a shield that would protect (destroy?) from Apple's influence. Desmond is put in the Animus to survive, Templars don't want to kill anybody, they want them to live in the New World (plus Desmond may still prove useful).

AC3
-------
1. AC3 begins with Desmond in a coma, the bleeding effect shows Haytham finding the Temple. The key he gets in the beginning is the key he needs to open the Temple, but Juno tells him to keep it safe.
2. Desmond wakes up, imprisoned. He manages to escape, and save Shaun and Rebecca. On the way out is Desmond's first assassination mission - Daniel Cross. Desmond has got his own version of memory corridor due to the bleeding effect, Desmond sees what may become of him in the future (Daniel's kinda crazy).
3. The team gets to an Assassin hideout where Desmond meets his father. There is no conflict between Desmond/William, Desmond is determined to do what he needs to, but he does not fully understand yet the sacrifice Assassins have to make. Desmond views Connor's memories to find where the key is while the Assassins try to find where Vidic is.
4. In the second modern day mission, Assassins have found an Abstergo compound with Vidic, they presume that this is where the launch will happen. Desmond's second assassination mission. He kills Vidic, but the Apple's not there. Vidic knew that he could be a target when Desmond escaped, so Lucy took the Apple to the real satellite launch place. Bleeding Effect's getting really bad here, btw. After this we continue with Connor.
5. In the third modern day mission, we found where Lucy is and where the actual launch takes place. We assassinate her. A heartbreaking conversation in the memory corridor, regarding the whole Templar/Assassin conflict, and life, and Desmond finally understands what pain it is to be an Assassin. But we were too late to stop the launch, it is only a matter of time before the Apple is activated and Templar's plan comes to fruition. Desmond's bleeding effect is crazingly bad.
6. Hastingly, Desmond and co. swift through Connor's memories to find where the key is.
7. Final modern day mission. We open the Temple, but it's unstable. Desmond knows that he won't survive the bleeding effect getting worse, so he says goodbye to Shaun/Rebecca/William and goes in. A platforming level through the Temple, tons of bleeding effect stuff. Juno saying weird things. Eventually we get to the control panel for the Temple, where Juno reveals what her plan was all along. Activating the Temple would set her free. But it would also prevent Abstergo's apple from working. Desmond decides to do it. He then dies in the collapsed Temple.

The end, the satellite plot has ended, the Juno plot was set up. Bleeding effect never gets resolved, it's just getting worse and worse. Subject 16 is mostly for lore purposes and glyphs. No Minerva/Tinia or other TWCB, just one all the time with a plan to escape, but under the guise of helping with the Satellite, to keep it all streamlined and to the point (after all, it's the Satellite plot that's important).

This is quite raw (and I think there can be ways to make the modern day/past connect a bit more than via a macguffin, but to be honest, this was the case with pretty much every AC game), but I think it shows the point that a simpler modern day story focusing only on the Satellite (and an AC2 where something actually happens :p ) would work great in AC's modern day favor.

Jexx21
06-25-2014, 09:03 PM
I support this for 2017 AC remastered game

king-hailz
06-25-2014, 10:01 PM
OMG This is perfect! I love this! Now if only we could go back in time and show this to ubisoft! I really do love this... lets hope the story carries on in this way!

SixKeys
06-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Honestly I wish they had never introduced William and Daniel Cross in the main games. Cross was more at home in the comics where he could have proper character development and be a badass, in the games he never could have had the space necessary to become fully developed. William was completely unnecessary. The gang was most sympathetic when they were just a bunch of (20-something) kids bickering and joking and trying to survive. Then some 50-year-old guy is introduced at the last minute and completely sucks away all sense of adventure. It's like having your dad walk in and trying to be 'cool' when you're hanging out with your friends. Leaving those two out would already have improved the story.

Rugterwyper32
06-25-2014, 10:48 PM
I can see where you're going with this, and I like it. I do agree the series could have worked with Daniel Cross being introduced earlier and focusing on the satellite plot from the get-go. I can picture the scenes from this storyline in my head and I must say, I much prefer how this could've gone. And I feel there could have still been a chance of having more stuff along the lines of what Brotherhood did best with the bleeding effect and mixing it in with Desmond visiting locations from both sides of the game, old and modern. For instance, imagine if the place where Desmond is imprisoned at the beginning of your idea of AC3 was somewhere in Boston and maybe you'd have the city jumping from looking modern at points and then suddenly you'd see Haytham or something walking around in old Boston. Second mission could take place in New York, and finally the third one could have the launch pad around the area of Connor's village (I see this happening after Connor is forced to kill Kanen'tó:kon, and having both characters being forced to kill someone they care about). I dunno, that's just how I'm imagining it, just rambling by now.

alientraveller
06-25-2014, 10:54 PM
Sounds good, maybe this is how the films would be structured if they adapt the games' stories.

rob.davies2014
06-25-2014, 11:12 PM
That. Is. Brilliant.

A great improvement on Ubisoft's version! A lot tidier, makes more sense and more enjoyable!

Farlander1991
06-26-2014, 06:35 AM
Honestly I wish they had never introduced William and Daniel Cross in the main games. Cross was more at home in the comics where he could have proper character development and be a badass, in the games he never could have had the space necessary to become fully developed. William was completely unnecessary. The gang was most sympathetic when they were just a bunch of (20-something) kids bickering and joking and trying to survive. Then some 50-year-old guy is introduced at the last minute and completely sucks away all sense of adventure. It's like having your dad walk in and trying to be 'cool' when you're hanging out with your friends. Leaving those two out would already have improved the story.

I thought about Daniel Cross and William, and at the end decided that they can enhance things rather than detract from them.
From gameplay perspective, Daniel is a way to show Desmond's enhancing skills (which is much better than on bunch of random guards you can kick anyway). But it's also a constant reminder of what's to come for him, Daniel (through his appearances and also death speech) shows Desmond that there's no real coming back from the Bleeding Effect and that Desmond is essentially doomed as a person.

William is, broadly speaking, the replacement mentoring ally (replaces Lucy). Interactions with him will show how Desmond has changed since AC1 (strengthened by the fact that there won't be a father/son conflict like in AC3). Not to mention, the idea behind the Assassins hideout in this case was that it was an operations with a bunch of Assassins and somebody has to lead them. He is also the one that can show Desmond how an Assassin sometimes has to do things he really doesn't want to, but it's for the greater good, Shaun and Rebecca aren't the best characters for this purpose.

Moultonborough
06-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Very cool. Why don't you write a FanFiction it would be really cool how you would word it out. Already got a template to work from.