PDA

View Full Version : The Blood Situation Is Actually...Good?

Wolfmeister1010
06-23-2014, 07:19 PM
So, the situation with blood is kinda a strange one. And, if you just glance at it, the blood effects for AC3, AC4, and Unity are the same. And I am one o the biggest complainers about it out there, since the blood looks kinda like stringy confetti, and doesn’t puddle, and doesn’t show where the wound actually is. However, I have dug deeper and noticed some odd things about the blood across these three games. There are actually quite a few differences, so maybe you guys would be interested.

AC3: The blood is kinda stringy, but looks decent enough. Blood collects on enemies and yourself when you/they get hit with weapons or gunshots. Here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnLOdWPKSQE

AC4: Here is where things start to get really strange. The blood is stringy like AC3..but they try to make there be a LOT more of it, so they layer a bunch of the effects on top of each other which really makes it look like confetti. Also..even on next gen, no blood appears on yourself or enemies when you/they get hit. I just noticed this and it is quite disappointing, considering the new gen should help make the details even BETTER, not downgraded. However..dead bodies spurt a small, barely noticeable splatter of blood on the ground behind the head.

The biggest and ugliest example is the Stealth Trailer, at 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ixGnqXCbU

Now..we go to Unity.

In Unity, at first I thought the blood settings were the same as AC4, but then I realized some things. For one, blood that spurts from enemies now shows up on surrounding environments as well, even yourself. Also, the blood now spurts from the actual wound. It is more location based and concentrated, reducing the confetti effect a LOT. Also, blood the shows up from wounds on YOURSELF looks a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5oCobhHCmw

You can see the better blood effect on yourself at 3:35

You can see the “blood from actual wound” effect in this video at 5:05

Although the blood doesn’t puddle still..it seems to be a lot better. Just something I noticed, maybe you are also interested

Jexx21
06-23-2014, 08:03 PM
who cares about blood

Hans684
06-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Bloody hell

Bashilir
06-24-2014, 12:48 AM
I'm glad to see things like this improved. I noticed, when I first watched the demo, how at 5:05 the blood spurted pretty accurately. The little things are always the things that bother me.

LoyalACFan
06-24-2014, 12:53 AM
I think the blood actually does puddle a bit in Unity.

Kagurra
06-24-2014, 01:16 AM
Good news then.

Wolfmeister1010
06-24-2014, 01:21 AM
who cares about blood

uh.. a lot of people?

@LoyalACFan proof? Any vid footage that shows it?

LoyalACFan
06-24-2014, 01:41 AM
@LoyalACFan proof? Any vid footage that shows it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54QkjJnKL8w

When he does a running assassinate on the guy around 1:30, blood sprays out onto the ground.

Edit- or do you mean "pooling" like the little red circles like in GTA? If that's what you mean, then no, I don't have any vids to show it, I don't think he ever stays near a corpse long enough in either of the demos for the pooling effect to kick in.

JustPlainQuirky
06-24-2014, 02:05 AM
omigod. Thank god I'm not the only one who thought the blood in AC3 looks hilariously bad.

Wolfmeister1010
06-24-2014, 04:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54QkjJnKL8w

When he does a running assassinate on the guy around 1:30, blood sprays out onto the ground.

Edit- or do you mean "pooling" like the little red circles like in GTA? If that's what you mean, then no, I don't have any vids to show it, I don't think he ever stays near a corpse long enough in either of the demos for the pooling effect to kick in.
Hm, I noticed that at the end of that demo, when you see the severed head laying on the ground, there is blood POOLING out of the neck. So they KNOw that is what blood is supposed to look like lol.

@Mayrice I don't think the blood in Ac3 is that horrible..but Ac4's is absolutely dreadful.

I-Like-Pie45
06-24-2014, 04:26 AM
you seem to have an obsession with blood and death and killing

that's not healthy from a mental and psychological perspective

Jexx21
06-24-2014, 05:58 AM
I agree with meow.

RinoTheBouncer
06-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Iíve always wondered about that too. I mean AC doesnít censor blood but they also donít really portray it well, either. Itís either too glitchy or too unrealistic. Iíd love to see it puddle with its realistic thickness and glossy effect.

Wolfmeister1010
06-24-2014, 05:46 PM
you seem to have an obsession with blood and death and killing

that's not healthy from a mental and psychological perspective

I should say the same thing about your weird arm hair fetish.

pacmanate
06-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Wolf always picks out little graphical things, should have seen her on the W_D forums about smoke :p

Wolfmeister1010
06-25-2014, 01:15 AM
Wolf always picks out little graphical things, should have seen her on the W_D forums about smoke :p

Oh oh does this ring a bell? "Everything is flat! Flat this, flat that! FLAT"

But seriously I actually really do complain about the small graphical things no one else cares about. For example, I seemed to be the only one who hated the annoying yellow mist effect in Constantinople. If it had been more volumetric like e3 demo it would be fine..but instead it was an annoying layered filter. Not to mention how in e3 the game was softer, but final it was so much more sharp and jagged.

Jexx21
06-25-2014, 01:29 AM
Momo thinks ACR demo ran on high end PC