PDA

View Full Version : No diving into haystacks?

murphdawg1
06-23-2014, 04:07 AM
So a friend of mine told me that this staple of Assassin's Creed won't be in Unity. Any truth to that? I have enjoyed it immensely in the AC III and AC IV climbing to the top of something to synchronize to a beautiful vantage point and then dive into a haystack or water below.

Bashilir
06-23-2014, 04:16 AM
I'm not sure if they're entirely gone, but the addition of the "controlled descent" which lets you get down a building without having to use a haystack, makes it sort've obsolete.

JustPlainQuirky
06-23-2014, 04:17 AM
If haystacks are gone I shall boycott this game.

Just 1 haystack will do nicely.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-23-2014, 04:55 AM
Well, since they plan to improve parkour by a great degree, I'd say that haystacks will become a rarity, but I don't think they'll get rid of them completely.

Sesheenku
06-23-2014, 05:09 AM
They're not gone just no longer required and thus the city no longer needs to have an unnatural amount of hay hanging around.

Shahkulu101
06-23-2014, 05:25 AM
It'd be good if they were. To make the game feel further apart from it's predecessors. More fresh.

They will still be there though. And to be honest, controlled descent from the top of Notre Dame is...kinda cooler.

Jexx21
06-23-2014, 05:46 AM
It would actually be a bad choice to remove leaps of faith. They're too iconic. It's like getting rid of Batman's grappling hook.

Shahkulu101
06-23-2014, 05:53 AM
Yeah but once you lose the need for it things start to lose their novelty

I suppose the viewpoint-haystack combo is probably the series most famous staple. It's kinda what you think of when you think AC.

Let's change that.

Jexx21
06-23-2014, 05:57 AM
But I don't want to.

That's part of what makes me love Assassin's Creed.

Haystacks will still be the fastest way down a building in any case.

Shahkulu101
06-23-2014, 06:02 AM
Meh I got over viewpoints and haystacks after the first couple hundred

Hope the high-ground feature has replaced that, and the higher up we are the more icons revealed.

Totes imersh yo

poptartz20
06-23-2014, 06:19 AM
Haha... even though I know it's a game... I always felt it was kinda ridiculous to jump into a haystack from 11324ft or for those of you using the metric system 3451 meters. I'm down with the idea of controlled decent. as shaku put it

#toesimersh

Like I said... you can change the robes, gameplay, settings, parkour, etc but don't take my Hidden blade!

sings_in_tune
06-23-2014, 06:28 AM
I, for one, will never be able to look at a raptor circling in the sky without thinking - there must be a viewpoint here somewhere.

And now I will be looking for haystacks too......

Jexx21
06-23-2014, 06:49 AM
no but seriously, removing the leap of faith is a terrible decision from a pure iconography stand point. It's like taking the eagle motif away.

poptartz20
06-23-2014, 06:59 AM
^ ahh.. I never really thought of it that way... point taken. But I still like the idea of a controlled decent.

Maybe there will be something like it?

Jexx21
06-23-2014, 07:10 AM
Oh, they already confirmed that leaps of faith are still in the game. And yea, controlled descent is awesome.

also there was a leap of faith in the CGI trailer

granted they didn't show the bale of hay, but Arno did do the whole leap of faith move.

Farlander1991
06-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Leap of Faith is an element that I don't want to be removed, ever. I can live with getting rid of hidden blade, hoods, Assassin robes, but Leap of Faith? Has to be at least one in the game. :p

Shahkulu101
06-23-2014, 07:48 AM
I'm fine with them removing everything but parkour, stealth and combat in a historical setting.

phoenix-force411
06-23-2014, 07:54 AM
If you can't "dive" into haystacks, why not just "swim?"

On a serious note: Amancio didn't specify that haystacks were removed, he said they're no longer a requirement for getting down from tall buildings.

Fatal-Feit
06-23-2014, 08:11 AM
Haystacks will probably be prominent on very high architectures only. I think that's a good thing since they've always been a hassle for me. Never liked them. Too magnetic and annoying when trying to hop from one rooftop to another.

Locopells
06-23-2014, 09:13 AM
LoFs and haystacks are both still there, though the latter just isn't all over the place now, since with CD, it isn't always necessary any more.

GunnerGalactico
06-23-2014, 10:11 AM
LoFs and haystacks are both still there, though the latter just isn't all over the place now, since with CD, it isn't always necessary any more.

That's a relief, I also like the idea of controlled descents, but I still want the LoF's to remain in the game. AC will just not be the same without it.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-23-2014, 10:52 AM
I could have sworn I saw either a gameplay video on like gamespot or a picture taken of a screen at E3 of the game that had Arno in front of a haystack. Dang, I wish I knew where it was... I could be wrong though...

lasha7716
06-23-2014, 11:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OjVQBpQSEU

you can see Haystack at 10:31

Dev_Anj
06-23-2014, 11:45 AM
I want to know this: how viable will a leap of faith be in comparison to a controlled descent, which one will look better, and hopefully the game won't assume I want to jump into a haystack while jumping around the rooftops, ledges etc.

pacmanate
06-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Still there, just less frequent.

Jexx21
06-23-2014, 02:17 PM
I wonder if R2/RT + X/A will still be the Leap of Faith/dangerous jumps button combination... I think it should.

I really like the new system You'll never start climbing by accident, and you can still use the camera joystick while running, just not while climbing, which is great.

So...

R2 = Running/staying at the same level
R2 + X = Ascending, perhaps also leaps of faith and making dangerous leaps
R2 + Circle = Controlled descent

Mr_Shade
06-23-2014, 02:23 PM
So a friend of mine told me that this staple of Assassin's Creed won't be in Unity. Any truth to that? I have enjoyed it immensely in the AC III and AC IV climbing to the top of something to synchronize to a beautiful vantage point and then dive into a haystack or water below.

Well if your friend say's so..

TBH - Anything you read about features or gameplay, not from Ubisoft, should be considered rumour - however I think people already know the truth.. ;)

pacmanate
06-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Well if your friend say's so..

TBH - Anything you read about features or gameplay, not from Ubisoft, should be considered rumour ;)

Is it true Arno is actually Indian?

Mr_Shade
06-23-2014, 02:27 PM

Details about the character will be released over the course of time, however I'm not at liberty to say, about his heritage - sorry ;)

wvstolzing
06-23-2014, 08:51 PM

What's the source of that rumor?

Details about the character will be released over the course of time, however I'm not at liberty to say, about his heritage - sorry ;)

Haven't we already been told that he has a French mother & Austrian father?

LoyalACFan
06-24-2014, 01:47 AM
Amancio said that at one point in the dev cycle they "toyed" with the idea of removing haystacks since controlled descent is so fast, but they didn't. I think it was in the Polygon interview.

LoyalACFan
06-24-2014, 01:49 AM

He's just taking the piss, before his name was revealed some of Connor's less observant fans insisted that the man in the teaser trailer was Connor in a new robe.

pacmanate
06-24-2014, 06:33 PM

He's just taking the piss, before his name was revealed some of Connor's less observant fans insisted that the man in the teaser trailer was Connor in a new robe.

I started the rumour... which is the problem with rumours, anyone can start them. Anyway I was taking the piss.

Also I can't believe even after the AC website said "new assassin" people thought it was still Connor! So much LUL