PDA

View Full Version : [REMINDER] The Reality of the Modern Day

AdamPearce
06-22-2014, 03:16 AM
Hi everyone, here's little reminder of the global settin of the Modern Day in Assassin's Creed. Even though I assume everybody know that, I think it is important to have a little reminder sometimes:

Hurricane Season Ends... But not in the way you think:
Increasingly erratic weather patterns have caused the Global Weather Association to abolish the term 'Hurricane Season'. Once confined to the months of June through November, hurricane duration, frequency, strength, and location have increased to the point where most coastal cities must now live in constant fear of these devastating storms.

Eye-Abstergo Satellite Launch Postponed:
Citing last minute adjustments to their new All-In-One telecommunications satellite, Eye-Abstergo have postponed the launch of their first satellite until December 21st. They maintain that their patented technology will allow faster, more reliable data transmission than previous-generation satellites which suffered from delays and interference.
Edit: The Project was abandonned after a failure to correctly process the artifact once in space.

Tension Mounts Over Antarctic Drilling:
The U.S. and E.U. are once again facing heavy criticism for their decision to begin construction of jointly owned oil platforms in the Weddell Sea. Several supranational unions oppose the work, claiming it violates the Antarctic Treaty System. The situation has been further complicated by the presence of two naval destroyers, said to be in the region for reasons unrelated to the construction.

Hundreds Hospitalized in Wake of Water Tampering Scandal:
Abstergo Holdings stands accused of secretly manipulating a small town's water supply in order to test a synthetic drug referred to internally as New Fluoride.
Edit: Because of the investigation beginning near the ending of December 2012, Abst_2/emplars_3\ergo needs to launch the Satellite on December 21st.

Related
To: Vidic

Guess the ****'s really hit the fan this time. Someone managed to leak a bunch of documents on the 'Fluoride Enhancement Studies' and now the pharmaceuticals division is under investigation by the Feds. They've shut down the entire place down. Did you see what was in those reports? What the hell were they thinking? They pretty much poisoned an entire town.

Nation Mourns the Loss of Final Film Studio:
History was made today with the closing of the country's last movie studio. The rising prominence of video games coupled with rampant piracy are considered to be the leading causes of its demise.

Mexican President Promises Better Border Security:
Concerned about record numbers of illegal immigrants entering his country, the President of Mexico today promised to ramp up border security. The number of troops stationed along the border is expected to triple. Opponents are worried about an increase in violence between American refugees and Mexican troops. Fighting between the two groups has left 300 dead and nearly 1000 wounded over the past six months.

Talks Continue Regarding Aftermath of L-11 Outbreak:
Nearly 6 years later, little progress has been made in dealing with the repercussions of what history books now refer to as 'The Second Plague'. With nearly 96% of its population decimated over a 3-month period, the continent of Africa is now virtually uninhabited. Plans to divide up the continent have met with strong resistance and claims of neo-colonialism. One protester had this to say: 'Whether we are a hundred or a hundred million - this is still our home and no one has the right to take it from us.'
____________________________________-

Seems a pretty messed up place, and totally different from our own. I'm curious how the New Fluorine scandal turned out, we probably hear about it during ACUnity.
+ I've read that all this is a fake by Erudito ? But it can't be since it seems that this is on the (inter)national news. Anyway, can't wait to see more !

Jexx21
06-22-2014, 04:31 AM
confirmed to be a fake by erudito because they hacked into the abstergo email system

AdamPearce
06-22-2014, 05:36 AM
Well, like I said, this can't be. The thing was on national news, not only into Abstergo News message or whatever. And I highly doubt Alan Rikkin (Abstergo's CEO) wouldn't had find out in was indeed a fake. Though the emails do say something some ''******* baggage handler trolling newsgroups and nutjub websites'' but it was essentially leaked out information. I mean, dammit, they closed an entire division of the industrie and they had to stress the whole Animus project so they could launch on time...and all that, would've been because of a troll by Erudito ? C'mon, this is too big.

Plus, Erudito only showed up in ACBrotherhood, I doubt they were in the initial script. You have characters like Subject 16 and Lucy that were all defined and developed since ACI, but Erudito ??? There is one email though:

To: Warren Vidic

I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. I KNOW WHAT YOU DID. I SAW HIM. HE HAD A METAL BALL. IT OPENED. THEY WENT CRAZY. SHOOTING. STABBING. TORE EACH OTHER TO PIECES. I KNOW IT WAS YOU PEOPLE. SAW THE LOGO. HEARD THE NAME. I'M GOING TO TELL. ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN. YOU'LL BE EXPOSED. THEY'LL KNOW THE TRUTH. AND THEN YOU WILL PAY. YOU CRAZY BASTARDS. YOU'LL PAY.

Maybe the start of 'em, and that would make sense, even though it just seems something to add to the whole Denver Incident and the mysteries around Abstergo. More, all of these 'fake emails' talk about subject that are first of international affair and second happening on a large time scale, and their purpose seems to identify the global situation, which would make lots of sense when you're building a universe.

I just find it really hard to swallow.

Shahkulu101
06-22-2014, 05:39 AM
Forgot about Alan Rikkin. I wonder if we'll ever see that guy - we need another antagonist for MD. Someone to replace Vidic, a human villain is in order. Alien space ghost wizard chick is lame.

Jexx21
06-22-2014, 05:41 AM
Uh, it was only on the Abstergo email network considering there was no national news in AC1.

they pulled the Erudito card because they knew that they weren't actually going to carry forth with any of the stuff from those AC1 emails.

AdamPearce
06-22-2014, 05:49 AM
So it's basically damage control, great...

And Rikkin says something about the Feds showing up, and this not mentionned in the Abstergo_News, which means in comes from an outside source (national news) and therefore the whole Erudito hacking falls into pieces. And why would he troll about something that would've happened 6 years ago, the player has no idea it's fake and therefore the point of trolling would only work for the people living in that world. But, we don't, and that's why those should've been written in a way we would've understand they were fake and g...fake. This is either bad storytelling, which I highly doubt considering the excellency of the ACI script or a really, really bad damage control.

JustPlainQuirky
06-22-2014, 05:50 AM
Still mad the Satellite thing was dropped outta nowhere.

AdamPearce
06-22-2014, 05:51 AM
Forgot about Alan Rikkin. I wonder if we'll ever see that guy - we need another antagonist for MD. Someone to replace Vidic, a human villain is in order. Alien space ghost wizard chick is lame.

First we need a new MD Hero, because it's pointless to have an antagonist if you don't have a protagonist to fight him.

AdamPearce
06-22-2014, 05:52 AM
Still mad the Satellite thing was dropped outta nowhere.

What do you mean ? The way it was cancelled or the way it was created ?

JustPlainQuirky
06-22-2014, 05:54 AM
@adam

cancelled. they mention it in revelations and then nothing comes of it.

And then darby says in an interview it just resolved itself because the templars decided against it off screen or something.

AdamPearce
06-22-2014, 05:57 AM
Mayrice> Wasn't it in an ACIII email where they said it just failed ? And anyway we had the Juno explanation about shooting PoEs in the Sky and how it failed, even though it just feels like damage control, again.