PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't Arno's robes white?

goob0t
06-22-2014, 02:36 AM
Not trying to be annoying or anything, just honestly wondering why not? I really liked how Altair, Ezio, Connor, and Edward all shared that and it is kinda a defining characteristic of the Assassins.

Jexx21
06-22-2014, 02:47 AM
because he likes blue

actually the defining characteristic is that they all have red on their robes. Usually in the form of a sash but Arno may be forgoing that in favor of a red scarf.

travilanche
06-22-2014, 03:09 AM
I think Arno is going to have whatever color robes you want him to have.

DumbGamerTag94
06-22-2014, 04:16 AM
Hmmmmmmmm could be a variety of things.

1: That the Assassins realized that the white wasn't really blending with anything anymore like back when monks were a big deal in the Crusades.

2: Assassin's developed a fashion sense and decided to shake things up a bit.

3: They realized that when a crier gave a "man in a white hood" description of a murderer, that they were pretty easily identified as the guy.

4: Ubi decided not to go with white so that Arno....being that he's French.....wouldn't try to use his robes as a flag of surrender.

It could really be any of these lol. But I personally think it may be the latter hahaha :p:rolleyes:

TheDanteEX
06-22-2014, 04:33 AM
I stopped caring about that kind of symbolism. Besides, I always looked at Desmond's ancestors having white hoods to draw parallels. Yes, I know there were other Assassins who had white hoods.

LoyalACFan
06-22-2014, 04:39 AM
Adewale, Aveline, and ACR Ezio have all had non-white default robes already. TBH it doesn't matter, you can make Arno look however you want.

SirTookTookIII
06-22-2014, 08:38 AM
It could have something to do with the French soldiers wearing white. Every time we have been to a French colony the assassin doesn't wear white.

deskp
06-22-2014, 11:14 AM
they have slowly introduced blue in both AC3 and ac4. As for promo arno not having a red shash, well hes got that red scarf thing.

I jsut hope their white color option isn part of some weird combination of colors Or that its too crisp white.

Reptilis91
06-22-2014, 11:18 AM
It's not really a characteristic of the Assassins. Since AC1, there has always been other colors.

And don't forget:
white=monarchy.
Blue (and red)=the city of Paris and the people.

D4rkAssass1n123
06-22-2014, 11:26 AM
this thread is totally unnecessary, since u can fully customize arno , which includes his robes colour

Reptilis91
06-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Here you go OP ;)

http://i.imgur.com/O8Pd20w.jpg

D4rkAssass1n123
06-22-2014, 12:03 PM
^ lol i actually love that white version of arno :o will still make him blue tho xD

GreySkellig
06-22-2014, 01:36 PM
The white robe recolor really brings out something I've been thinking about Arno's costume--namely, that it's quite reminiscent of Connor's original character model and costume, which were tragically ditched in favor of the silliness that is his AC3 robe. I thought the original design for Connor was the first semi-plausible-looking costume in the series since AC2, so I'm happy that Arno seems to have gone a similarly period-correct route. I only wish there were some crossbelt or pauldron on Arno's back to break up the sea of velvet. But hopefully that will be tweakable.

http://cdn2.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/622857_10151235591926894_496582822_o1.jpg?57efa4

http://cdn2.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/219277_10151235592096894_1701416316_o1.jpg?57efa4

STDlyMcStudpants
06-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Because he isn't pure.

Jexx21
06-22-2014, 03:02 PM
AC3's actual robes also look period correct so I'm not sure what you're getting at there

guardian_titan
06-22-2014, 04:12 PM
1.) Pure white is a hard color to make and often expensive (Queen Victoria supposedly popularized white wedding dresses but that's a big crock. They were in use before her day)
2.) White stains VERY easily
3.) White sticks out like a sore thumb
4.) White is often equated to purity. Murdering people (even if it's for a good cause) isn't pure
5.) Most people historically wore a variety of colors (outside of purple until synthetics were made so that was REALLY expensive) so why should the assassins be stuck monochromatic?
6.) Variety is the spice of life. White, white, white, white. Very boring. Bad enough most of the assassins are dark haired. A naive person to the series might think Altair, Ezio, and possibly even Arno are the same person that somehow jumped through time because they all look so similar.
7.) It's Ubisoft's game and they didn't want white? :rolleyes:
8.) He's supposedly customizable. Does it matter what colors his robes are? Wonder if I can make them pink. (Fun tidbit, pink was the BOY's color back in the Victorian era, blue was the girl's).

With Connor's robes, I prefer his AC3 ones myself. The original ones were too busy. I don't know where to look when I look at it. Oh look, there's a braid ... is that supposed to be his hair? Then there's all the buttons. He's wearing a choker? He's got a fanny pack! Feathers on his back ... and is that a canteen? Fringe. An ammo pouch. Why does he have ropes dangling from his shoulders? Is he suddenly Batman and can pull them off to help him scale walls? :confused: Where's the Assassin symbol? Oh, there it is hiding just above his fanny pack. ... Sometimes things can be TOO complicated and KISS is a lot better (keep it simple stupid).

poptartz20
06-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Because he isn't pure.

Yes... this exactly. Hahaha... We can close the thread now.

annd.. to be honest I don't really like the White Robe for Arno. :/ but if Arno is fully customizable as we have been told, then I don't think it will matter.

Also on a side note... Maybe it has something to do with not being one of Desmonds direct ancestors? I mean if we think about it, Adewale, Aveline, and Arno = no relation yet none of them have white robes?

king-hailz
06-22-2014, 06:21 PM
This would annoy me but i just cant wait to customize to make my black and blue assassin...

I like the design of his robes... i just hate the clownish blue...

STDlyMcStudpants
06-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Yes... this exactly. Hahaha... We can close the thread now.

annd.. to be honest I don't really like the White Robe for Arno. :/ but if Arno is fully customizable as we have been told, then I don't think it will matter.

Also on a side note... Maybe it has something to do with not being one of Desmonds direct ancestors? I mean if we think about it, Adewale, Aveline, and Arno = no relation yet none of them have white robes?

Customizable doesnt take away the iconic image though. Arno is blue robes as altair is to white robes even if you could change them to pink in game..
Thats not how people will remember them
I think the blue will be very symbolic nonetheless. :)

GunnerGalactico
06-22-2014, 08:28 PM
I don't see what the fuss is all about. Honestly, I'm liking the blue outfit... it looks good on him. I'm guessing Ubi probably chose Arno to have a blue robe because it differentiates him from the previous Assassins because they were Desmond's ancestors. Arno is not an ancestor of Desmond and is not related to the other Assassins at all.

Will_Lucky
06-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Its also been theorized that Master Assassins have the right to using dark robes.

Shahkulu101
06-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Why does there need to be a reason justifying what colour robes a character wears? So daft that people think they are required to wear white robes because that's the symbol of a 'true' assassin.

Can't we get over this petty stuff? Beaked hoods, lip scars - the lot. These minor details aren't essential to the franchise, people need to stop acting like they are.

phoenix-force411
06-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Assassins don't need to wear white or anything hoody-like. The robes are just a game favorite which is why every protagonist has it(besides Aveline, but she has an option for that).

Megas_Doux
06-22-2014, 09:18 PM
why does there need to be a reason justifying what colour robes a character wears? So daft that people think they are required to wear white robes because that's the symbol of a 'true' assassin.

Can't we get over this petty stuff? Beaked hoods, lip scars - the lot. These minor details aren't essential to the franchise, people need to stop acting like they are.

this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShoryukenMan
06-22-2014, 09:41 PM
I thought Arno was the head of the French division of assassins? Mentor=dark robes. Or has somebody lied to me?

Jexx21
06-22-2014, 09:44 PM
No, Arno actually joins the Brotherhood in 1789, so he's gonna be fairly new when we start Unity.

ShoryukenMan
06-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Oh. Well, we can customize him, so it's no big deal.

Farlander1991
06-22-2014, 09:53 PM
People too often apply logic behind a creative decision to in-lore explanation.
"Oh, they removed beak from Edward's hood to show that he's not real Assassin, so all not real Assassins must not have beaks"
"Oh, they wanted to show Ezio's changed status with a grey robe, so all mentors have darker robes" (btw, Altair had white robes as a Mentor)
"Oh, Altair and Ezio have lip scars, which means Aveline is Desmond's ancestor too!"
etc. etc. etc. etc.

Creative decisions behind main character design usually have a meaning, yes (because that's the character we see the most), but it doesn't necessarily mean that the meaning applies in-universe outside of said character.

Matknapers18
06-22-2014, 10:30 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/Matknapers18/media/grid?idx=0&tid=479360199581786112

I actual photoshopped Arno, and I think the white looks a whole lot cooler than the blue. I'm not sure if the link will work as I'm on my phone, but give it a try.

rprkjj
06-22-2014, 10:31 PM
White robes are just better imo, even though I like Arno's. There's such a thing as series staples, and going against them just feels random.

rprkjj
06-22-2014, 10:33 PM

I actual photoshopped Arno, and I think the white looks a whole lot cooler than the blue. I'm not sure if the link will work as I'm on my phone, but give it a try.

That looks sweet. Hopefully you can dye the default set without changing the actual pieces.

GunnerGalactico
06-22-2014, 10:34 PM

White looks good on him too but I prefer the blue one.

poptartz20
06-23-2014, 07:06 AM
Why does there need to be a reason justifying what colour robes a character wears? So daft that people think they are required to wear white robes because that's the symbol of a 'true' assassin.

*slow clap* but it's all subjective at the end or the day.. for some people these thing are essential because they are "Iconic" while others see them as minor details. Which to me.. because it doesn't effect gameplay, or the overall story. it doesn't matter but for those that do, they have valid points as well or better yet I can see were they are coming from.

Jexx21
06-23-2014, 07:12 AM
despite what the original trailer showed, Arno does have a beak on his hood

SO BEAKS MATTER MAUAHAHAHAHAHA

no but seriously beaks are part of the assassin shtic

aiden's a fox
altair's an eagle

naimals animals everywhere

i'm momo the flying lemur and i leik cactus juice, it's the quenchiest

Shahkulu101
06-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Cactus juice?

You mean water.

Fatal-Feit
06-23-2014, 08:21 AM
I prefer the protagonists to be diverse. If all the Assassins in every installment wore white, had a scar, and was charismatic, etc, etc then it would REALLY feel like we've been playing the same game over and over.

Sesheenku
06-23-2014, 08:49 AM
I prefer the protagonists to be diverse. If all the Assassins in every installment wore white, had a scar, and was charismatic, etc, etc then it would REALLY feel like we've been playing the same game over and over.

Charisma was the norm for Renaissance men so it made sense for Ezio.

rprkjj
06-23-2014, 01:06 PM

There's a difference between appearance and personality.

pacmanate
06-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Cactus juice?

You mean water.

derp

Jexx21
06-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Cactus juice?

You mean water.
you are deprived

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XQvbyVLH4Y

Mr_Shade
06-23-2014, 02:28 PM
because he likes blue

;)

Matknapers18
06-23-2014, 04:19 PM
That looks sweet. Hopefully you can dye the default set without changing the actual pieces.

I agree. I actually really like the simplicity of Arno's costume even though a bunch of people are complaining about his lack of armor. The fact that his back is completely free of gear is so cool. If I could just change the colour to white, I would be very very happy.