PDA

View Full Version : Ubi have mastered games that are 8/10...

UKassassinsfan
06-21-2014, 11:28 PM
A weird thread I will admit but I was just thinking...
Ubisofts games of the past 2/3 years have all been good solid games eg. 8/10 however they just seem to lack the ability to make that really special game like GTA v for example.
Admittedly ubisoft is probably my favourite game studio, mostly because of AC probably. I recently purchased watchdogs and it certainly didn't love up to the hype that was made.
You start playing and it's all really fun and you're really enjoying the first 50% of the game but I find it all becomes really repetitive after a while, like the same formula. With watchdogs and AC the missions feel repetitive whilst visually the games are stunning!

I don't know how you guys feel about this, whether you agree or disagree, it would be cool to discuss!

pacmanate
06-21-2014, 11:33 PM
I agree with you, I don't know what it is though. Maybe its the sharing resources thing as there are normally 2 projects going on at the same time, among other things.

dxsxhxcx
06-21-2014, 11:36 PM
and it certainly didn't love up to the hype that was made.

that's probably one of the reasons..

AssassinHMS
06-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Quantity before quality. Some reviewers don't explore the games as much as they should. It's easy to understand that there is a lot to see and do in these games but you actually have to play through everything (or most) in order to realize the absence of quality. What may seem like a huge world filled with stuff to do (8/10) might be a boring and empty place with a lot of half-assed activities/missions.

It also helps the fact that all the quality was in the side content and/or in the side mechanics while both the core mechanics and the formula were a mess.

UKassassinsfan
06-21-2014, 11:44 PM
Haha I meant live up to sorry, but I expected more from watchdogs anyway,
Pacman, that may be it, I just find that they make these fantastic features like the hacking and the naval stuff but it lacks variety, after a while you feel like you're repeating the same old stuff just in a different setting

JustPlainQuirky
06-21-2014, 11:45 PM
I agree with title.

Ubi is good at making fairly good but not amazing games

Megas_Doux
06-21-2014, 11:45 PM
Instead of 8/10 games yearly, why not a 9/10 or even higher every two?????

FRacy

UKassassinsfan
06-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Yeah assassin, I agree most reviewers just get that initial sense of excitement but I well imagine that they wouldn't get it the same review if they sat through the whole game! Whilst I'm not saying the games aren't good because 8/10 is great but they just lack that spark that provides the same hype GTA or TLOU recieved

pacmanate
06-21-2014, 11:47 PM
I don't think any AC game is worthy of a 9 so far. I would rate them all as 8's.

JustPlainQuirky
06-21-2014, 11:49 PM
For me to give AC a 9 or 10, it would have to have some epic conclusion to the Juno saga where we get to play as ALL of desmond's ancestors and individually take part in defeating her. :cool:

And every assassin gets the closure they deserve.

UKassassinsfan
06-21-2014, 11:52 PM
I'm personally a massive fan of ac2 but because of the leaps and bounds that game made from ac1 probably contribute to that! I also found that AC2 just provided the right amount of variety that didn't get boring throughout the whole game! But I don't wanna get into that same old argument! I can't put my finger on what makes the games consistently 8/10 but it just seems to be the case recently, I did get exceptionally bored of watchdogs towards the end of the game, I'm a completitonist with my games but I didn't even want to do all the collectibles after the game it just got too repetitive

Xstantin
06-21-2014, 11:57 PM
For me to give AC a 9 or 10, it would have to have some epic conclusion to the Juno saga where we get to play as ALL of desmond's ancestors and individually take part in defeating her. :cool:

Updated stealth would easily get a 9 from me, and so far Unity is shaping up nicely: it look really similar to TLOU and Watch_Dogs concerning stealth if they don't break it somehow.

Megas_Doux
06-22-2014, 12:08 AM
I don't think any AC game is worthy of a 9 so far. I would rate them all as 8's.

Exactly!

UKassassinsfan
06-22-2014, 12:09 AM
Whilst i would like new stealth mechanics for AC it wouldn't improve the rating unless they made stealth a thing that didn't get boring, they've already said that fighting has got harder so stealth is more prominent, however they said about BF and the combat on that is dead easy too! If the combat is too easy then stealth becomes irrelevant, as long as there is variety and it's made in a way where it doesn't get boring then it will become 9/10!

Xstantin
06-22-2014, 12:25 AM
Whilst i would like new stealth mechanics for AC it wouldn't improve the rating unless they made stealth a thing that didn't get boring, they've already said that fighting has got harder so stealth is more prominent, however they said about BF and the combat on that is dead easy too! If the combat is too easy then stealth becomes irrelevant, as long as there is variety and it's made in a way where it doesn't get boring then it will become 9/10!

Yeah, I still remember the talk about the dangerous gunman archetype :D

UKassassinsfan
06-22-2014, 12:32 AM
The fighting is far too easy on BF so I do hope that the claims that the combat is harder now is good news! Apparently your opponents learn and adapt now, but we will see! I mean naval combat was really fun in both games but in BF boarding for me got very tedious, it got to the point where is rather swim up to a ship, kill everyone then when I attacked i auto won the boarding ahah

Jexx21
06-22-2014, 01:38 AM
your opponents don't learn and adapt in unity you just need to figure out how to attack them: they also said that for AC3 and it was true to a certain extent, but it was easy to figure out how to beat them.

However it does sound like there's more guards attacking at the same time, which is great

I-Like-Pie45
06-22-2014, 01:40 AM
why don't the guards in these games just take out their guns and shot the assassins at once, instead of politely waiting around and attacking him one/two at a time - only periodically using the guns

Sesheenku
06-22-2014, 03:14 AM
It's all subjective in the end. A number is given by some guy/girls subjective opinion.

That said I hated 3 and 4, 3 only gets a 6.5 for me and 4 hits exactly 8 (even though I hate it and would rate it lower)

I think AC2 is worthy of a 9, it had refined AC, its problems were minor and not worth cutting it down a bunch of points imo.

goob0t
06-22-2014, 03:36 AM

Before black flag i was hoping something like Desmond would be in some final fight and would be using all the assassins skills but it wasn't enough, he reaches for the apple of eden and the cloning thing happens but it pulls it from his different memories resulting in all of the assassins being there with him.

LoyalACFan
06-22-2014, 05:01 AM

I completely disagree, for an AC game to get a 10 from me it would need to completely unshackle itself from its predecessors and stand on its own legs as an individual piece of art. That means not digging up old, lost plot threads, and not ripping off old gameplay mechanics and delivering marginally better versions of them. I'm really, really hoping Unity is finally going to be the AC game that takes risks and wins big, but we'll see. Every AC thus far (excluding the first, of course) has felt very sequel-y, in that none of the games have really shined on their own merits; they've simply retooled and refined the best parts of their forerunners to deliver a better version of the game that came out the year before. AC2, Brotherhood, and AC4, which are generally accepted as the best ones, are very much guilty of this; they were all great, but only because they stood on the shoulders of their direct predecessors. AC1 and AC3 were the only truly revolutionary titles in the franchise, and both of them came out broken to some degree. Unity looks wonderful thus far, but I'm afraid that it will befall the same fate; it'll be mediocre, then next year's game will patch up a few of its failures and be awesome, but with a bitter twinge of "this is what Unity should have been."

Shahkulu101
06-22-2014, 05:05 AM
^ very likely.

steveeire
06-22-2014, 07:09 AM
GTAV is only a 8 out of 10 tbf op

UKassassinsfan
06-22-2014, 09:12 AM
I would personally rate GTA V higher but it's a matter of opinion I guess! The reason I used it is because even now people are still playing it, what they've done so well with that game is made the game constantly entertaining and i feel anyhow it doesn't get boring throughout. With the use of selecting how you do a heist or a mission it felt very immersive. However one thing that rockstar does that trumps ubi in this respect is that you want to do things cos they're fun not because in the game (this was worded badly) but for example, in GTA I found it highly entertaining exploring and climbing up somewhere like mount chiliad just cos it was fun, or collecting the UFO pieces, just because it offered a cool car and worthwhile Easter egg (UFO), in comparison with BF i was compelled to collect the animus fragments just because they were there but it didn't offer any reward so it was somewhat anticlimactic, it's that kind of thing that gets boring and repetitive in my opinion. Go to island>find viewpoint>replay animation at bar> hunt chests> fragments, it just isn't enough variety IMO

I also agree with what loyalACfan said, it is often the next game is just a more redefined version of the last, although I will disagree that AC 2 didn't feel sequel-like to me at all, all of a sudden the game was so different it was just eavesdrop, pickpocket, save citizen x times to finally understand your target. But I do have high hopes for Unity ( I say this every year ) it looks gorgeous graphically and the fact you can do so much, so they say; is a very exciting prospect! I look forward to seeing more videos and trailers!

RinoTheBouncer
06-22-2014, 10:00 AM
I totally agree with this thread. The latest AC games and WATCH_DOGS have been pretty repetitive after finishing 25% of the main story. Everything else is just the same, over and over. Now I know that AC1 was so repetitive but AC2, ACB and AC:R changed that and their stories were the best and the most immersive, but after that, all became the same and the games started giving you way too much than you really need. Like with ACIII, hunting was made so you can level up but I finished the game hunting only 5 animals and thatís it.

I feel like Ubisoft really needs more time to actually make a game that everybodyís gonna go crazy about.

steveeire
06-22-2014, 10:23 AM
I totally agree with this thread. The latest AC games and WATCH_DOGS have been pretty repetitive after finishing 25% of the main story. Everything else is just the same, over and over. Now I know that AC1 was so repetitive but AC2, ACB and AC:R changed that and their stories were the best and the most immersive, but after that, all became the same and the games started giving you way too much than you really need. Like with ACIII, hunting was made so you can level up but I finished the game hunting only 5 animals and thatís it.

I feel like Ubisoft really needs more time to actually make a game that everybodyís gonna go crazy about.

There is levelling up in AC3?

Aphex_Tim
06-22-2014, 11:40 AM
I still think the massive Watch Dogs hype is mostly to blame on the gamers. It was first shown at E3 and after that I've barely heard anything official about it, apart from an article/video or two. It wasn't nearly as hyped as AC3 was. It seems to me like a lot of people just got this idea in their heads that WD would be THE most amazing game ever, creating their own hype around it. And when it finally didn't live up to that hype, everyone blamed Ubisoft. As far as I know, everything that was shown in that first gameplay video in 2012 made it into the final game. Everything you saw is possible. And even though it graphically didn't end up looking the same as the demo, it still looks like a pretty d*mn beautiful game to me.

jdowny
06-22-2014, 11:46 AM
I think it just comes down to the details for me. Yes, I know Ubisoft has a hundred different branches working on the same game, but the fast-paced deadlines to get each game out year after year really shows in the quality. This is where GTA V, which took 4/5 years to develop, gains the upper hand. The world is incredibly detailed, and there are countless facets to the game which surprise me even today. Assassin's Creed will likely be a 9/10 or even a 10/10 when it can show me detail and quality to this level: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/30/100-little-things-in-gta-5-that-will-blow-your-mind

People keep defending the annualisation of AC by saying that there are numerous companies working on it and that each one takes at least two years to produce, but when they miss out little things like female assassins in Unity claiming it's because they ran out of time, that's when I think the annualisation is detrimental to the series.

I absolutely love AC, but if a two year wait between each one means the difference between a mediocre 7 or 8/10 game and an incredible 10/10, I'd take that wait in no time.

roostersrule2
06-22-2014, 12:35 PM
I rate the series

AC1: 7
AC2: 9.5
ACB: 8.5
ACR: 9
AC3: 6
AC4: 8

I have to agree that Ubi's main releases are usually good, while never being amazing. Games like FC, WD, Splinter Cell, AC are all good game series with some great games, but rarely is there an amazing game from Ubi.

jayjay275
06-22-2014, 12:55 PM
I agreed with the OP until he mentioned that GTA V was special game... Why do people treat that game as if it is the second coming of Christ? There are many better games with a better story than that. Watch Dogs' missions may be repetitive, but they are incredibly fun and AC does need something new...

roostersrule2
06-22-2014, 12:59 PM
I agreed with the OP until he mentioned that GTA V was special game... Why do people treat that game as if it is the second coming of Christ? There are many better games with a better story than that. Watch Dogs' missions may be repetitive, but they are incredibly fun and AC does need something new...GTA V is a special game. It excels at a lot of things. The story was good, the open world was amazing, missions were fun, gameplay was great, the MP is my favourite ever and it had a lot of content.

I can't say it lived up to the hype, as no game could have lived up to hype as big as that, but it was still a very good game.

jayjay275
06-22-2014, 01:12 PM
People treat it like it's the best game ever though, when to me, it really doesn't look like it. Of course, each to their own.

Sushiglutton
06-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Unfortunately I think you have a point. I think there are a couple of reasons. First off Ubi has not been able to deliver core mechanics that are up to snuff (thinking of AC primarily here). This hurts every single story and side mission in the games. Secondly a lot of content feel very factory made and soulless. The bar for acceptable quality is set too low. Something like Mayan puzzles should not have been accepted, it's as simple as that. Neither should Incentivizing the player to loot generic chests. Adding content like that is a way of shooting yourself in the foot and cheapen the overall experience. In other words: you spend money to make the game worse.

Compare this to Naughty Dog, who always make sure their core is robust (allthough not necessarily superb) and flexible to handle a wide array of scenarios. Then ND handcraft these unique scenarios (note: you still use the core mechanics to tackle them) which makes their games feel a lot more organic and varied. Some of this has to do with the difference between linear and open world, but that can't excuse everything. ND also also has collectibles, but in no way do they push the player towards them.

I really love a lot of the stuff Ubisoft has going on. They could be the next ND. But if so they just have to clean up their games from junk and elevate the core!

m4r-k7
06-22-2014, 02:22 PM
I dont know if I agree. My ratings would be

AC 1 = 8
AC 2 = 9.5
AC B = 8
AC R = 8
AC 3 = 8
AC 4 = 9.2

I think its unfair to say these games are mediocre as the Assassins Creed saga does something no other game attempts to do - provide a historical open world. I think people have to consider the amount of work and research that goes into each game. It is easy to say "yeah they are mediocre" but if you actually delve into the world and look around, you see an open world that has been designed almost as the cities were in that period and I think that is much harder to do than games like GTA which are set in the modern world. The Assassins Creed games in my eyes are definitely not mediocre. They may not be "masterpieces" like the Last of Us but AC 2 and AC 4 in my eyes were incredibly close. GTA 5 on the other hand is definitely overrated and should be around an 8.5.

steveeire
06-22-2014, 02:31 PM
People throw around 9's and 10's like they are nothing, I reserve these ratings for games that are masterpieces or close to a masterpiece, GTAV is neither of those things, granted it does do what it does well, but it brings nothing new to the franchise or gaming as a whole. At best GTAV is a 8.

UKassassinsfan
06-22-2014, 02:47 PM
I used GTA as an example just because it widely accept as one the best games in the last 3 years! It's not hard to see why though, it's just got variety and it doesn't get boring! It keeps you entertained and it doesn't feel repetitive the world is huge and detailed, the story is at least 40+ hours and that's without all the side stuff! Ubisoft just feels very repetitive and copy and pasted... The Mayan stones weren't challenging and it's just "I better do this just to 100% he location, not because I really want to"

jayjay275
06-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Unity will be great and fresh, which is obvious from the demo.

STDlyMcStudpants
06-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Actually.. The Assassin's Games are great.. they only receive 8s because there is a stigma around them... Plus it's one of those games that you really love or really hate...
There isnt an in between like COD or a mario game...
AC IV got 3 10s and AC 3 got 4 10s.. even on PC
So I actually don't agree... AC3... AC2.. both one of those special games....
I blame it on the AC stigma and the mindset of the gaming community...
Ubisoft is a publisher that people wait to hate on because it's successful

Dellers
06-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Assassin's Creed 2 and Far Cry 3 are easily 9's IMO. The first few Splinter Cell titles were as well, maybe even 10, but those came out more or less a decade ago of course.

Jexx21
06-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Splinter Cell Blacklist is easily a 9 as well.

I give Ezio trilogy a 9. AC3 and AC4 are 8.5. Watch Dogs is 8.5. Assassin's Creed is 8. Far Cry 3 is 9. Splinter Cell: Conviction is 8.

poptartz20
06-22-2014, 06:08 PM
How Funny.. I thought about this the other day. Ubisoft does make solid games Constantly, (and I love them personally) but nothing that does Go WOW. that was something I've never played before. But I do give props to the consistency of each AC they really do research the period and enrich our lives with tons of history that is very accurate! so much so that they even use dialect used at the time in speech and writing!

Compare this to Naughty Dog, who always make sure their core is robust (allthough not necessarily superb) and flexible to handle a wide array of scenarios. Then ND handcraft these unique scenarios (note: you still use the core mechanics to tackle them) which makes their games feel a lot more organic and varied. Some of this has to do with the difference between linear and open world, but that can't excuse everything. ND also also has collectibles, but in no way do they push the player towards them.

I really love a lot of the stuff Ubisoft has going on. They could be the next ND. But if so they just have to clean up their games from junk and elevate the core!

Well.. it's hard to compare ND with Ubisoft. For one It's SCEA company strictly for PS and it's smaller vs. Ubisoft being a large third party developer with multiple teams working on multiple games. There isn't as much focus as there would be on one game when there are 4 others being made at the same time.

SHADOWGARVIN
06-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Instead of 8/10 games yearly, why not a 9/10 or even higher every two?????

FRacy

You do realise that this games are not being made within a year? Unity has been 4 years in the making. I'm sure Ubisoft already has at least two new AC games in production. Isn't 3-4 years long enough?

king-hailz
06-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Well you obviously right, excpet from AC4, that game got alot higher than many other AC games...

But i dont get IGN... they said AC4 is much better than AC3 yet gave it the same score...

Jexx21
06-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Actually Watch Dogs pretty much does have that "This is something I never played before" in the sense of hacking, but they announced it too early that I was actually over that whole idea by the time the game released.

Which is weird. But yea I never really have done anything like the hacking in Watch Dogs before.

poptartz20
06-22-2014, 06:22 PM
Speaking of Watchdogs, I see others are saying repetitive while I do see where they are coming from a little bit (but it doesn't bother me that much, because all games are technically repetitive) but I remember when they pushed back the game, because of that exact reason. Which makes me wonder what the game was actually like? ya know.

But I have really enjoyed watchdogs. I like to mix things up between the missions so I'm not constantly doing the same thing over and over again.

Xstantin
06-22-2014, 07:08 PM
I thought after hacking in Deus Ex HR (2011) Watch_Dogs' hacking felt less rewarding and much more straightforward. I guess it's my own fault, but I expected Aiden to prevent chases with strategic hacking for example, but the game still made me jump into cars and follow the targets.

Jexx21
06-22-2014, 07:20 PM
hacking in Deus Ex HR was basically just the basic hacking into computers for information and to unlock doors that you have in all games, Watch Dogs went beyond that in having you control multiple facets of the city.

shobhit7777777
06-22-2014, 07:25 PM
hacking in Deus Ex HR was basically just the basic hacking into computers for information and to unlock doors that you have in all games, Watch Dogs went beyond that in having you control multiple facets of the city.

This

Jexx21
06-22-2014, 07:36 PM
There are ways to manipulate the environment of cities in Assassin's Creed as well though.

For example, in ACR and the original AC1 demo, where you could pull down scaffolding, although I don't think it was implemented that great in ACR personally.

I still dream of an AC that has realistic physics on the environmental objects. Why is it that I can stand and roll and run on a tarp on top of a merchant stand that really shouldn't hold me at all? I also wish that the clotheslines and such would have proper buoyancy when you run across them. I also want there to be the occasional post on a wall that breaks off.

Xstantin
06-22-2014, 07:43 PM

Obviously Watch_Dogs felt bigger and you could control multiple facets, but hacking never really changed the outcome of the mission which you could do in Deus Ex: for example, spoiler: when you chase Defalt during Act IV I wish I could simply lock the doors in the club and deal with him on the spot instead of chasing him in a car. The game still made you play the way the devs wanted you to.

Jexx21
06-22-2014, 07:46 PM
That would have been pretty cool, I admit.

Megas_Doux
06-22-2014, 08:20 PM
You do realise that this games are not being made within a year? Unity has been 4 years in the making. I'm sure Ubisoft already has at least two new AC games in production. Isn't 3-4 years long enough?

Do you realize the developers themselves have said many times they wish to have some "extra times" to polish the current features and include some more????? Besides, games every two years would help them to take the fan feedback into consideration more efficiently.

STDlyMcStudpants
06-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Well you obviously right, excpet from AC4, that game got alot higher than many other AC games...

But i dont get IGN... they said AC4 is much better than AC3 yet gave it the same score...

As someone that reviews games myself.. the same score doesnt always mean the quality is equal.. it just means that neither had the edge to take them to a higher score.
Also 2 different people reviewed these games.. the ac4 reviewer reviewed ac4 on his personal scale instead of the ac scale
He didnt say.. this game is better than AC3 b ut not as good as ac2.. have to give a score in between.. he said 'no.. i have a preference for 10 and this is how close this game game to it for me... '

Sushiglutton
06-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Well.. it's hard to compare ND with Ubisoft. For one It's SCEA company strictly for PS and it's smaller vs. Ubisoft being a large third party developer with multiple teams working on multiple games. There isn't as much focus as there would be on one game when there are 4 others being made at the same time.

Isn't this just an explanation for why the problems exists? I agree with you, but shouldn't they try to find a development process to get around it?

SHADOWGARVIN
06-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Which developers???????????? I haven't read anything about developers needing more time. If they needed more time Ubisoft would have delayed the releases. Look at what ubisoft did with Watch Dogs. AC is the only game i look forward to every year,! So no, they shouldn't change it to one game every two years. If you don't want to buy it every year, the solution is very simple: Don't buy it every year!

LatinaC09
06-22-2014, 08:51 PM
I never felt that AC was repetitive (except AC1) but yes Watch Dogs wasn't exactly the game I was hoping for. That being said it's still a great game and visually the best looking game to date (for consoles) imo.