PDA

View Full Version : Something about the E3 demo's making me think it was PC rather than Xbox One

pacmanate
06-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Just a small thing but have any of you noticed the start of the walkthroughs?

"Press Start"...

Neither PS4 or Xbox One have a Start button anymore. And I doubt the game would look that good on consoles either.

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpJ6GICqQyc

Jexx21
06-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Press Start on E3 demos looks better than "Press any Button" or "Press Options"

adventurewomen
06-20-2014, 06:31 PM
It looks like the demo might be played on PC, looks like they are using an Xbox controller to play the demo with, since you can see the buttons appear.

Jexx21
06-20-2014, 06:33 PM
I read an article a while ago on how seeing "Press Start" induces a magical feeling of starting a journey and an adventure, something that "press any button" or "press options" just can't convey.

pacmanate
06-20-2014, 06:33 PM
It looks light the demo might be played on PC, looks like they are using an Xbox controller to play the demo with, since you can see the buttons appear.

Yep, which was my original thought, looked too good to be on Xbox One.

Jexx21
06-20-2014, 06:34 PM
It was probably on Xbox One though considering the conference they were at.

pacmanate
06-20-2014, 06:44 PM
It was probably on Xbox One though considering the conference they were at.

Well Batman was played on PC at Sony's, considering what conference they were at.

GunnarGunderson
06-20-2014, 06:57 PM
Well of course it was on PC

No matter what they ever say, Press demos are always played on a PC with "similar" hardware specs as whatever console they're passing it off as

Shahkulu101
06-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Lol similar

pacmanate
06-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Downgrade incoming

deskp
06-20-2014, 08:45 PM
They never said it was played on xbox. They usualy make super sure to say PLAYING ON AN _______ when its on the final ahrdware.

SixKeys
06-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Extremely likely. One of the devs practically confirmed it when an interviewer asked him what kind of specs would be needed to play the game on PC. He said something like "we'll try to make the minimum requirements as low as possible, but if you want it to look this good (pointing to the demo), you're going to need a pretty powerful rig".

dewgel
06-20-2014, 09:01 PM
If you think any demo at E3 is played on a console then you're crazy. Unless it's an exclusive, in which case it'll be on a devkit (and usually a devkit with overclocking facilities)

Also - for those saying "but it was shown at the Microsoft conference".. watch their E3 2013 conference. Battlefield 4. It looked unbelievable, everyone was like "WHOA" and then "Press Backspace for Battlelog" and "Press R to Reload" pops up and stuff like that lol.

Anyway, there was an image out there which I can't find, but it was more or less people playing a Unity demo, and you can see the controller plugged into a desktop tower.

LieutenantRex
06-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Why does anyone even believe developers at E3 anymore?

pacmanate
06-20-2014, 09:13 PM
I never believed it was X1 footage, I'm just try to back up what I think and this is best I've got.

I feel a watch_dogs thing coming on. That said, the PC version and PS4 version of AC4 were very very similiar

dewgel
06-20-2014, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't imagine Unity will suffer too drastic a dip in graphical fidelity. I don't believe they'll achieve the 1080p 60fps target recently spoke about, but I think they'll hold what they've shown so far. To be fair, it's all smoke and mirrors what was shown. If you watch the single player footage, just look at the draw distance, and the NPCs. Watch the Single Player Commented Demo at the very start when it first zooms out from the crowd, and you'll notice nearly every crowd member morphs into a totally different model (some even change gender and race at times). The draw distance is terrible, I saw objects random fade in infront of Arno at some points too.

Remember though - Watch_Dogs was a multiplatform multigenerational game running on a modified version of Far Cry's Dunia / Driver's engine.

Let's be honest - these complaints are the reason the public don't get to see footage before games leave alpha stages as often as we would like haha.

Josh X574
06-20-2014, 10:54 PM
To my understanding, there isnt a start button on any system's input tool (controller or keyboard).

wvstolzing
06-22-2014, 07:33 PM
To my understanding, there isnt a start button on any system's input tool (controller or keyboard).

I remember a company that made keyboards with an 'Any Key'.

More on topic: I'm certain that it was a cranked-up PC.

Sesheenku
06-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Downgrade incoming

They dare to do it and I'll spew obscenities and rage for the foreseeable future on every AC outlet I visit.

pacmanate
06-23-2014, 12:00 AM
They dare to do it and I'll spew obscenities and rage for the foreseeable future on every AC outlet I visit.

I just mean that people probs thought that was console footage, like the W_D fiasco seeing as it was played on an X1 controller at the X1 conference.

Someone else posted in another thread that a dev said you would need a really powerful machine to get the game looking like the demo.

rprkjj
06-23-2014, 01:01 AM
AC has never been visually downgraded since the first gameplay footage. I doubt it will now.

Sesheenku
06-23-2014, 01:38 AM
I just mean that people probs thought that was console footage, like the W_D fiasco seeing as it was played on an X1 controller at the X1 conference.

Someone else posted in another thread that a dev said you would need a really powerful machine to get the game looking like the demo.

They should clarify for those people.

Imo PS4 doesn't do too shabbily with graphics, I don't expect it to lose but the bells and whistles of it like the high AA of PC's, possibly lower resolution particle effects and probably lower texture and shadow resolution.

Which isn't too shabby their textures were fine on PS4 as were their shadows, PC's are ****ing amazing in AC4 but still I found it unnecessary, especially since highest shadows is a kick to my performance on my PC anyways.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Bad news: A graphics downgrade is almost certainly going to happen.

Good news: It shouldn't be as big a downgrade as W_D considering this is next-gen/PS only as opposed to cross-generational.

pacmanate
06-23-2014, 01:05 PM
They should clarify for those people.

Imo PS4 doesn't do too shabbily with graphics, I don't expect it to lose but the bells and whistles of it like the high AA of PC's, possibly lower resolution particle effects and probably lower texture and shadow resolution.

Which isn't too shabby their textures were fine on PS4 as were their shadows, PC's are ****ing amazing in AC4 but still I found it unnecessary, especially since highest shadows is a kick to my performance on my PC anyways.

I think AC4 on PS4 was quiet close to it's PC version, minus the added Nvidia goodies so yeah, hopefully its still good!

EVA Spartan 317
06-23-2014, 01:26 PM
It was played with an Xbox 360 controller and it has a Start button.
In the conference footage it was clearly an Xbox 360 controller because of the green lights which are not present on the Xbox One's.

pacmanate
06-23-2014, 01:31 PM
It was played with an Xbox 360 controller and it has a Start button.
In the conference footage it was clearly an Xbox 360 controller because of the green lights which are not present on the Xbox One's.

Well that's weird, why choose a 360 controller over an X1 controller when its next gen only? I know its only a controller... but... weird.

EVA Spartan 317
06-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Well that's weird, why choose a 360 controller over an X1 controller when its next gen only? I know its only a controller... but... weird.

Maybe they don't like the vibration of the Xbox One controller. For the Xbox 360 one there's an option to turn it off unlike the Xbox One.
Or because the Xbox One controller is strange for them as for me.

pacmanate
06-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Maybe they don't like the vibration of the Xbox One controller. For the Xbox 360 one there's an option to turn it off unlike the Xbox One.
Or because the Xbox One controller is strange for them as for me.

Should have used a PS4 controller for the lulz

Sesheenku
06-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Bad news: A graphics downgrade is almost certainly going to happen.

Good news: It shouldn't be as big a downgrade as W_D considering this is next-gen/PS only as opposed to cross-generational.

Hey now... don't say that. Unless you have proof of course.

I think AC4 on PS4 was quiet close to it's PC version, minus the added Nvidia goodies so yeah, hopefully its still good!

It was, the NVIDIA goodies are hefty to run anyways so even with my NVIDIA card I couldn't use em ;P PS4 was perfectly good, the PC version added some nice extras but they were far from necessary and weren't so game altering that you couldn't play without them.

Will_Lucky
06-23-2014, 11:38 PM
I'm worried about Unity on the PC given the recent Nvidia announcement and how downhill the Nvidia and AMD debacle continues. Not to mention Ubisofts ports tend to be near the bottom of the ladder in terms of quality, the whole Watch Dogs mess was just insane. First they downgraded it, then it emerged the files were actually in the game afterall but Ubisoft hid them away...you can't make that up. Even worse when AMD went ahead and said Nvidia had access to code they didn't.

Even worse really considering without the 360 and PS3 the base for this game rises. And considering how poor a Ubi port job is were I a PC gamer I'd be worried at this point.

But I'd say without a shadow of a doubt that footage was on PC, but truth be told I wasn't that impressed well bar the cinematic when he interacts with the old man. To quote Haythem, I expected more. I'm a little worried on that front, but then again I never considered AC a graphic powerhouse by nature of its open world. Its a difficult thing to balance in that regard. Will it be downgraded? Hard to say it sure wasn't upto the standards of the E3 2012 Watch Dogs reveal. But would the PC version look something like that? Oh definitely.

I'd expect the PS4 to get closer to that footage though, it has more graphical horsepower for it.

JustPlainQuirky
06-24-2014, 02:30 AM
Back in my day people didn't care about graphics *shakes cane*

I-Like-Pie45
06-24-2014, 02:38 AM
Back in my day people didn't care about graphics *shakes cane*

you're not that old, mayrice

JustPlainQuirky
06-24-2014, 06:57 AM
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Maybe I'm secretly an oldie. :rolleyes:

RinoTheBouncer
06-24-2014, 09:43 AM
The idea that the final product will be downgraded terrifies the sh*t outta me.

Sesheenku
06-24-2014, 06:26 PM

It makes me prematurely angry.

I'll cut you Ubisoft!

pacmanate
06-24-2014, 06:38 PM

Well, a dev person at E3 did say if you want it looking that good you need a very powerful PC...

Then again, FC4 is claimed to be on "high" settings for PS4 and X1...

Same with W_D... we know how that turned out. Seems like Ubi is downgrading the PC counterparts to make them more or less the same as the current gen consoles.

As for Unity though, it is next gen only so who knows, I don't expect the PS4 version to look as good as the PC version but I really don't care. I loved Black Flag on PS4, this is evidently going to be better but I'm excited in Unity not cause of graphics, but everything new they are bringing to the table.

ACfan443
06-24-2014, 06:43 PM
It makes me prematurely angry.

I'll cut you Ubisoft!

http://abload.de/img/imageuhj7v.jpg

Shahkulu101
06-24-2014, 06:45 PM
It will be gorgeous regardless you pedants who cares about minor differences.

Seriously, the W_D downgrade wasn't even bad. At all. A few particle effects, slightly better rain and *gasp* the lighting.

Enjoy the games. For the love of Jaysus.

Jexx21
06-24-2014, 06:49 PM
FC4's next gen console graphics are supposedly the same as the max graphics on the PC version...

Shahkulu101
06-24-2014, 06:52 PM
FC4's next gen console graphics are supposedly the same as the max graphics on the PC version...

Well...all that means is that they've decided to use less than the maximum power available on PC so they can gain parity with Consoles.

pacmanate
06-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Which sucks for PC owners

wvstolzing
06-24-2014, 06:55 PM
I guess, given the 'economic realities' of game development, PCs will always be under-utilized as long as consoles exist.

On the other hand, advances in graphic chip technologies help scientific fields where there's a lot of 3d modeling and such. So there's *someone* using those +$1000 cards to their full potential, for things that, you know, MATTER. Thogh, there again, the economic driving force appears to be PC gamers. So let them keep buying the 'latest and greatest'.

Jexx21
06-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Yea.

still getting it for PC cause I want it on PC plus I get to co-op with mah PC players