PDA

View Full Version : Parkour in Unity

EchoFiveKilo
06-20-2014, 04:49 AM
One big improvement I saw in the E3 co-op demo is that the parkour roll in the game has been replaced with a newer, smoother, and more correct technique roll. Youll notice in every AC from AC1, to Black Flag, the roll was the same, except the AC3 roll was just sped up a bit.

Altair, Ezio, Connor, Edward and Haytham would all roll over their heads, while Arno in Unity rolls over the shoulder as its supposed to be done. Aiden Pearce in Watch Dogs also does this.

Sesheenku
06-20-2014, 04:57 AM
I don't think that was ever the biggest deal but yeah it's cool.

who-can-i-be
06-20-2014, 08:18 AM
I noticed that too: it was a pretty neat touch.

Bashilir
06-20-2014, 04:07 PM
I noticed that too: it was a pretty neat touch.

I've noticed that many of the animations were smoothed out. The only things that awkwardly stood out was how enemies moved during combat, and Arno moving through the crowd without pushing anyone aside, making him awkwardly try to walk past the civilians yet they seem to move as easily as they should.

pacmanate
06-20-2014, 06:29 PM
He also has Aiden's running animation which is doing my head in :| That and the rubber looking clothes are 2 things I can't stand.

I keep imagining Aiden when I see Arno do the same running animation. There was nothing wrong with AC3/AC4's running, it was brilliant as it wasn't a short loop cycle, head would go down and up, back would arch up and down etc.

m4r-k7
06-20-2014, 06:57 PM
There were 2 things I hated about the demo's

1) The enemies still flop around when they die and have some sort of spaz attack which really takes away from the experience.
2) When Arno was walking through the crowd, he cannot get through and they block him which looks stupid. They should have brought back the push button from AC 1 where you walk through the crowd and gently push others away from you to make the "blade in the crowd" thing more realistic.

The rest I loved.

Bashilir
06-20-2014, 11:26 PM
He also has Aiden's running animation which is doing my head in :| That and the rubber looking clothes are 2 things I can't stand.

I keep imagining Aiden when I see Arno do the same running animation. There was nothing wrong with AC3/AC4's running, it was brilliant as it wasn't a short loop cycle, head would go down and up, back would arch up and down etc.

I still think the running is a filler. Would make sense considering that it's the exact same as Aiden's. The running does look pretty awkward now that you mention it..

EchoFiveKilo
06-21-2014, 02:07 AM

I dont think he has exactly Aidens running animation. There is something similar about it like the arm movement, but not 100%. And yes like another poster said it looks a little bit awkward but that will be corrected I'm sure. Its mostly to do with the leg movement if you watch the single player demo since it loops too quickly. Notice how big the improvement was when AC3 showed at E3, the combat animations looked slower, but in the final game they were smooth as.

And yes I reckon Connor's running animation looked the best. He would speed up like a real person would, and not in some games where you run from like zero to whatever instantly. He starts off with his head down building speed up as he goes. He also would skid and slow down when you let go of the trigger like a person would, and pivots when turning left or right. A lot of people really miss the nuances of the animations haha. I think ubisoft is the best in the buisness when it comes to animation, just look at Splinter Cell Blacklist, Ghost Recon Future Soldier, AC3, The Division.

I don't think that was ever the biggest deal but yeah it's cool.

I didnt think it was a big deal but since the parkour roll is something you will frequently see in game, its nice they re-did it.

There were 2 things I hated about the demo's

1) The enemies still flop around when they die and have some sort of spaz attack which really takes away from the experience.
2) When Arno was walking through the crowd, he cannot get through and they block him which looks stupid. They should have brought back the push button from AC 1 where you walk through the crowd and gently push others away from you to make the "blade in the crowd" thing more realistic.

The rest I loved.

Yeah its a bit silly when they have spaz attacks but its kinda funny I guess. AC usually had pre-set death animations, and afterward the spaz attack/ragdoll would occur. AC3 was the funniest when bodies would just randomly elongate slenderman style on the screen.

TheDanteEX
06-21-2014, 02:14 AM
Realistically, I guess bodies would spazz out while dying, but it's one of those things that you just don't include in media.

EchoFiveKilo
06-21-2014, 02:20 AM
Realistically, I guess bodies would spazz out while dying, but it's one of those things that you just don't include in media.

Theyre not intended to spaz though. Its just classic ragdoll physics. I think games like COD and other FPS have worse when it comes to the spazzing.

TheDanteEX
06-21-2014, 02:49 AM
Maybe realistic dead bodies can be the big selling point in next year's AC. I knew if AC was going to have co-op we would know about it because Ubisoft would make a big deal about it.

travilanche
06-21-2014, 07:10 AM
I gotta say...I am not sold on this new park our yet. Could people really not figure out how to climb down in the other games? You let go of a ledge and grab on to a lower one on your way down. I have never had a problem with this.

Not saying it is not gonna work...and it looks super cool...but Arno moves more like a lemur than a human.

Sesheenku
06-21-2014, 08:38 AM
I gotta say...I am not sold on this new park our yet. Could people really not figure out how to climb down in the other games? You let go of a ledge and grab on to a lower one on your way down. I have never had a problem with this.

Not saying it is not gonna work...and it looks super cool...but Arno moves more like a lemur than a human.

Are you joking? You would rather drop and grab onto various ledges, and then when you finally touch the ground be forced to watch the little animation before you can move rather than essentially fly down the building and be able to move the moment you touch the ground?

What do you think would be most useful if they allow guards to chase you? Slowly drop and grab ledges or glide down the building and run the second you touch the pavement?

LoyalACFan
06-21-2014, 10:00 AM

The old descent system was positively archaic, and it looked choppy as hell. It's not that it was hard to use, it was just an annoying, cheap gameplay mechanic. Diving off into water/hay was always more thrilling, and I love that the new controlled descent mode captures the adrenaline rush of a leap of faith with no haystack required.

Well, they were all mocapped by free-running professionals (or parkour professionals... I can never remember which one is which) so there's that. Those dudes can pull off some unbelievably cool stuff, and I wouldn't be surprised if most (if not all) of these moves are possible. Admittedly, the base jump thing to the flagpole at the very beginning of the descent looked impossible, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief a bit since our previous alternative would have been falling 300 feet headfirst into a wagon full of hay.

Sushiglutton
06-21-2014, 10:15 AM
I think you, to some degree, have to compare gameplay to what's actually out there rather than your mental image of what would be perfect. Of course you could have a really cool vision that may be doable, so nothing wrong with dreaming. Anyhow I can't see any argument for why the parkour (as far as we know) in AC:U is not superior to the previous games. Controlled descent is clearly better than what we had imo. It's more organic, faster, smoother, looks cooler.

In AC:U there will be five modes we can be in (to my knowledge) which will affect how Arno moves: Up, down, horizontal, walking and stealth. At least on paper this should give far better precision than AC3-4 while still remaining intuitive. Ofc it's impossible to know before playing for a few hours, but for now I see no reason to anything but optimistic about the new parkour system.

GunnerGalactico
06-21-2014, 01:18 PM
I think the new parkour system looks cool. I like the way Arno descends from buildings, it looks like a cross between a leap of faith and base jumping, plus it looks smoother and more fluid compared to the previous games. So yeah, I'm very excited about it.

roostersrule2
06-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Parkour in Unity will be the strongest in AC.

Faster, smoother and more fluid then anything else before it.

Jexx21
06-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Parkour in Unity looks like Arno is Spider-Man when he runs out of Webs.

pacmanate
06-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Parkour in Unity will be the strongest in AC.

Faster, smoother and more fluid then anything else before it.

I hope they use it in the next Prince of Persia