PDA

View Full Version : Controlled descent is a brilliant idea

Sushiglutton
06-19-2014, 08:16 PM
The best ideas are solutions to problems people never relaized thay had. Imagine you were chased in the previous AC games. You climb some building run across the rooftop... now what? I never realized this was kind of an annoying scenario. There was no smooth way back to the streets (searching for pigeons is not exactly smooth). Some people (including myself) were a bit worried controlled descent would feel too auomatic. The more I think about it the less worried I am. Compare to the alternative: aka no smooth way to get back to street level at all, or the completely automatic leap of faith.

I've never seen anyone suggesting something like controlled descent before. I have a feeling it will be one of those feature that will feel so natural that you won't even notice it's there. But when you go back and play the old game you will miss it like crazy.

Whoever came up with this idea should get a corner office and a miilion dollars :)!

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 08:21 PM
I hope its not automatic, hated that in AC3.

Sushiglutton
06-19-2014, 08:27 PM
I hope its not automatic, hated that in AC3.

My guess is that it will be alomst completely automatic. I agree it may be a problem. Playing devil's advocate: there's no way you could descend as fast and as smooth if it was player controlled all the way down.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Yea, sounds like it's automatic from what I saw in the trailer.

@pac

May I ask why you hated it in AC3? I thought it was pretty fluid.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 08:40 PM
My guess is that it will be alomst completely automatic. I agree it may be a problem. Playing devil's advocate: there's no way you could descend as fast and as smooth if it was player controlled all the way down.

It really isn't much different than before control scheme wise.

Essentially you can STILL choose left or right while descending downward, the only difference is that up and down are now buttons instead of sticks.

It really is genius, it seems so obvious now that it makes you wonder why you never thought about it.

deskp
06-19-2014, 08:45 PM
To me it looks just like the current free running but going down. You can stop going down at wichever point you want, as long as Arno is conencted to soemthing

Let loose the B button and he'll stop going down.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Yea, sounds like it's automatic from what I saw in the trailer.

@pac

May I ask why you hated it in AC3? I thought it was pretty fluid.

In AC3 you could just hold up and Connor would jump top left, top right etc.

They fixed it in AC4 where you actually had to put the analogue stick in the right direct to make a vertical jump up a building.

Im scared that control descent is automatic, I want to have control over where I go. Im just wondering how much control we will actually get

Sushiglutton
06-19-2014, 08:55 PM
To me it looks just like the current free running but going down. You can stop going down at wichever point you want, as long as Arno is conencted to soemthing

Let loose the B button and he'll stop going down.

YEah that's the way I think it functions as well-

They fixed it in AC4 where you actually had to put the analogue stick in the right direct to make a vertical jump up a building.

Im scared that control descent is automatic, I want to have control over where I go. Im just wondering how much control we will actually get

Well since there will be three modes (up, down and "horizontal") we will have much more control than AC3. No more running up walls when you don't want to, since you can just hold RT to run.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 08:58 PM

Check out the videos closer, it appears that the players move left and right or just straight down at any point.

SixKeys
06-19-2014, 11:18 PM
This is one of the features I'm most excited about in Unity. When people were still speculating and wondering how Unity could differentiate itself from AC4, I said I felt like parkour needed something new, just didn't know what. Something that would make it feel fresh, smooth and faster than in previous games. When I saw controlled descent in the demo, it was like something clicked in my head: "Yes!! Like that!"

The only thing that slightly worries me is how it'll play on KB+M. In the past two games parkour has been simply about holding down right mouse button and pressing forward. How will they change it when there are two directions to parkour? I've never played AC games with a controller and am not about to start. So I'm curious how it'll affect the controls I'm used to.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 11:21 PM
This is one of the features I'm most excited about in Unity. When people were still speculating and wondering how Unity could differentiate itself from AC4, I said I felt like parkour needed something new, just didn't know what. Something that would make it feel fresh, smooth and faster than in previous games. When I saw controlled descent in the demo, it was like something clicked in my head: "Yes!! Like that!"

The only thing that slightly worries me is how it'll play on KB+M. In the past two games parkour has been simply about holding down right mouse button and pressing forward. How will they change it when there are two directions to parkour? I've never played AC games with a controller and am not about to start. So I'm curious how it'll affect the controls I'm used to.

Crap man, hope they do well for you even though I play on PC I always use my Logitech Rumbelpad 2.

They let you rebind anyways though right?

Pandassin
06-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Guys you don't need to worry about it being automatic, in a few interviews Ubisoft have claimed that you hold down a button to use controlled descent. Remember in the early screen caps how there was a 'Parkour up' and 'Parkour down' button? That's what they are.

SixKeys
06-19-2014, 11:35 PM
Crap man, hope they do well for you even though I play on PC I always use my Logitech Rumbelpad 2.

They let you rebind anyways though right?

Yeah, rebinds have always been possible, but if it's a radical change, it'll still take getting used to. I still hold down Space when playing AC3 and AC4 even though that's no longer necessary, since that's what I was used to in AC1-ACR. In AC3 I had to get used to E being the default action button for everything, including empty hand (previously E was Eagle Vision). I tried rebinding it to Shift like in the old games at first, but quickly realized combat would become a pain in the *** if I had to aggressively tap Shift to counter all the time.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Yeah, rebinds have always been possible, but if it's a radical change, it'll still take getting used to. I still hold down Space when playing AC3 and AC4 even though that's no longer necessary, since that's what I was used to in AC1-ACR. In AC3 I had to get used to E being the default action button for everything, including empty hand (previous E was Eagle Vision). I tried rebinding it to Shift like in the old games at first, but quickly realized combat would become a pain in the *** if I had to aggressively tap Shift to counter all the time.

Lol I despised the control changes in AC3, I found most of them had little purpose and made the game easier.

Locopells
06-20-2014, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I do the space bar thing as well...

pacmanate
06-20-2014, 02:08 AM
Guys you don't need to worry about it being automatic, in a few interviews Ubisoft have claimed that you hold down a button to use controlled descent. Remember in the early screen caps how there was a 'Parkour up' and 'Parkour down' button? That's what they are.

We know what they are, I just hope you don't press it and have no control really of where you want to go/how to get down.

For instance the guy got down from notre dame doing a descent diagonally. What if I want to descent diagonally left, then right? Or just vertically down?

Sesheenku
06-20-2014, 02:24 AM
We know what they are, I just hope you don't press it and have no control really of where you want to go/how to get down.

For instance the guy got down from notre dame doing a descent diagonally. What if I want to descent diagonally left, then right? Or just vertically down?

I'd be willing to bet money that you just hold the button to go straight down and then the stick influences your left and right.

**** didn't I say it clear enough the other like 2 times? It's pretty likely that's how it works.

pacmanate
06-20-2014, 02:29 AM
I'd be willing to bet money that you just hold the button to go straight down and then the stick influences your left and right.

**** didn't I say it clear enough the other like 2 times? It's pretty likely that's how it works.

FFS im still drunk. Im leaving. I will be back tomorrow

Sesheenku
06-20-2014, 02:46 AM
FFS im still drunk. Im leaving. I will be back tomorrow

Remind me to bet a huge amount of money on a drinking contest with you sometime, it's a sure thing for me ;P

Farlander1991
06-20-2014, 07:14 AM
I'm pretty sure we will have a fair degree of control over the parkour. After all, not only it's three modes instead of two, I think the parkour up and parkour down buttons will also have separate actions when we tap them (as AC games usually do), which should allow us to move how we want where we want.