PDA

View Full Version : Does Unity have a filter? If so, do you like it?

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-18-2014, 03:33 AM
Based on the two demos, it appears as though Unity has a filter effect. Am I being crazy or does it look as though there is one? I ask because AC1 had a very obvious set of filters for the different cities. AC2 toned it down but it more or less retained a somewhat warm filter for everything. ACB and R more or less resemble AC2 in terms of having a warm filter.

AC3 and AC4 on the other hand didn't really appear to have any noticeable filter. They both seem fairly "natural" compared to the games before. Unity on the other hand appears to once again, have a filter. I could be wrong though.

So if Unity has a filter -- do you like the filter? Or would you prefer to look more like AC3/4 in terms of being a bit more "natural." I'm personally fine with or without a filter but I think something about this new filter looks cool. Not sure what it is.

Jexx21
06-18-2014, 03:42 AM
ACB took away the terrible filters of AC1 and AC2...

I don't think Unity has a filter.

Sesheenku
06-18-2014, 03:46 AM
ACB took away the terrible filters of AC1 and AC2...

I don't think Unity has a filter.

It still had filters though, in the same three colors even.

As for Unity I can almost guarantee it doesn't have a filter.

It's clear the lighting has simply been revamped to appear more realistic and their shaders are immensely better, the colors are also highly realistic and all of them stand out so there's no filter there otherwise it would must certain colors.

Jexx21
06-18-2014, 03:50 AM
I didn't notice any filters in ACB. Everything was clear for once unlike AC1 and ACB.

Sesheenku
06-18-2014, 03:55 AM
I didn't notice any filters in ACB. Everything was clear for once unlike AC1 and ACB.

Well don't worry I have proof. Two pictures I took myself actually.

(The Jerusalem Green Filter can be seen if you go to where you killed Juan Borgia. Try it, you'll see a green tint come over the screen.)

Acre Blue Filter

http://i.imgur.com/rmTVX85.jpg?1

Sunset Damascus Filter

http://i.imgur.com/6o0M9Mk.jpg

Jexx21
06-18-2014, 04:00 AM
Huh. Well ACB and ACR look a crapload better than AC1 and AC2 then.

Shahkulu101
06-18-2014, 04:05 AM
For some reason that picture of ACB hit me with a wave of nostalgia. Oh man, I love that game. I love all the games.

There's just something about Brotherhood that makes me more attached than the rest. Even though my head tells me ACIV is a better game, Brotherhood seems to give me the best feeling when I play.

JustPlainQuirky
06-18-2014, 04:09 AM
I never noticed filters in any of the AC games. hm

Sesheenku
06-18-2014, 04:24 AM
Huh. Well ACB and ACR look a crapload better than AC1 and AC2 then.

That it does, better textures all around and no more of that crap LoD texture from AC2. I love AC2 but those crappy textures are really distracting and ugly.

For some reason that picture of ACB hit me with a wave of nostalgia. Oh man, I love that game. I love all the games.

There's just something about Brotherhood that makes me more attached than the rest. Even though my head tells me ACIV is a better game, Brotherhood seems to give me the best feeling when I play.

I know why I like AB more, from a graphical stand point I like the powerful bloom which reflects the sun better than AC3 and 4, notice how in Unity sunlight is once again very powerful and bright as it should be.

The bloom is the best in the series and they made some tweaks to the filter, more colors come through it in ACB.

Even to this day it still looks good graphically, it has more style than the other AC's imo.

Speaking of pretty stuff in earlier AC's

I think ACR still has better water than AC3 (when you're not sailing that is)

http://i.imgur.com/WsG1apN.jpg

Aphex_Tim
06-18-2014, 07:33 AM
To my knowledge, AC3 was the only one that didn't have filters and I've always felt it just looked a little bland at times. I wouldn't mind Unity using filters. It certainly adds to the atmosphere, as long as it doesn't get too obnoxious. (Constantinople looked a little too yellow/orange to me)

Sesheenku
06-18-2014, 07:42 AM
To my knowledge, AC3 was the only one that didn't have filters and I've always felt it just looked a little bland at times. I wouldn't mind Unity using filters. It certainly adds to the atmosphere, as long as it doesn't get too obnoxious. (Constantinople looked a little too yellow/orange to me)

Golden as hell in the day and deep unnatural blue at night lol. It makes me sick if I play it too often even though I like the game itself.

Since I have it on PC though I use a trainer to turn off notoriety entirely, can't stand it in ACR.

pirate1802
06-18-2014, 07:54 AM
B..but I liked Constantinople's filters D:

Locopells
06-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Only one that's ever really annoyed me, was the white one in ACB, that disappeared if you got too far away from a tailing target.

Kirokill
06-18-2014, 11:38 AM
I don't mind filters.

Aphex_Tim
06-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Only one that's ever really annoyed me, was the white one in ACB, that disappeared if you got too far away from a tailing target.

Are you talking about that stupid white gradient at the top of the screen? That one was so annoying it was almost a game breaker for me.
Luckily it seemed to slowly disappear as you'd progress in the game...

Locopells
06-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Yep, that's the one. Didn't notice it at first, then got a better computer that made it more obvious, and had to get used to it all over again...

pacmanate
06-18-2014, 01:28 PM
AC3 did have a cool filter, Sid removed it in his game and it looked so much better

SixKeys
06-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Filters generally don't bother me at all. AC3 did look a lot better with the filter removed, though.

pacmanate
06-18-2014, 06:27 PM
B..but I liked Constantinople's filters D:

Best filters in AC I think, had such a nice art style.

Ureh
06-18-2014, 06:37 PM
So far I've enjoyed all the filters except ACB's. That one was pretty darn bad cause it even persisted when it shouldn't be there (ex: dim alleys). If Unity has one, it looks perfect!

Megas_Doux
06-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Filters generally don't bother me at all. AC3 did look a lot better with the filter removed, though.

I did notmind the filters in AC I and AC III, in fact I liked the of Jerusalem, however the one in Venice was too much.....

Shahkulu101
06-18-2014, 07:31 PM
That it does, better textures all around and no more of that crap LoD texture from AC2. I love AC2 but those crappy textures are really distracting and ugly.

I know why I like AB more, from a graphical stand point I like the powerful bloom which reflects the sun better than AC3 and 4, notice how in Unity sunlight is once again very powerful and bright as it should be.

The bloom is the best in the series and they made some tweaks to the filter, more colors come through it in ACB.

Even to this day it still looks good graphically, it has more style than the other AC's imo.

Speaking of pretty stuff in earlier AC's

I think ACR still has better water than AC3 (when you're not sailing that is)

http://i.imgur.com/WsG1apN.jpg

Revelations is a stunning game. The graphics from a technical standpoint are merely above average from the time and hardware it was made for, but it's one of the most aesthetically beautiful games I've ever played. That city man.

I'm such a sap.

pacmanate
06-18-2014, 07:34 PM
I also think Revelations graphics are amazeballs. I like them more than AC3.

Shahkulu101
06-18-2014, 07:37 PM
I'll probably be called insane here but....

Better than Watch_Dogs on PS4? To me, it's certainly prettier...

Sesheenku
06-18-2014, 07:39 PM
I also think Revelations graphics are amazeballs. I like them more than AC3.

Their tree textures are objectively better, I've seen some leave textures on the trees in the frontier... they look like they're from Quake 3, extremely low res and poorly textured in the way that they look like plates of leaves rather than individual leaves.

Here's an example.

Revelations tree

http://i.imgur.com/wqXQPoL.jpg?1

Note how each leaf appears to be an individual leaf, not part of a group of leaves.

Then there's this amateur ******** in AC3

http://i.imgur.com/MSn78m7.jpg

The hell is that? The texture is awful but it may also be the fault of the tree model. It's inexcusable.

pacmanate
06-18-2014, 07:44 PM
I'll probably be called insane here but....

Better than Watch_Dogs on PS4? To me, it's certainly prettier...

It'd say so. I just finished replaying Black Flag (PS4) and that is too.

Wolfmeister1010
06-18-2014, 07:56 PM
AC3 had a washed out filter, and Unity kinda does as well. It is a bit saturated, but to be honest I think it is very fitting with the setting. It was not necessary in AC3

Revelations does NOT have better graphics. You guys are just being fooled by the wonderful environments and ambience. For example, AC4 still had crap geometry and poly count on natural surfaces like rocks and cliffs, but it still looked wayy better than AC3's because of the way the environment was set up.

I did not like ACR graphics. It was way too rough and sharp. The reason the AC3 tree models looked so much worse was because they had to model them to be climbable, which is incredibly difficult.

AC4 and Revelations are PRETTIER than Watch Dogs, because watch dogs is in a concrete urban centre.That doesn't mean it is graphically better. In AC, the art direction is more free and vibrant. In modern day locations, they don't have any room to experiment.

Jexx21
06-18-2014, 08:03 PM
I think you guys are confusing aesthetics and graphical fidelity.

Shahkulu101
06-18-2014, 08:10 PM

Er, no I specified this exact point:

Revelations is a stunning game. The graphics from a technical standpoint are merely above average from the time and hardware it was made for, but it's one of the most aesthetically beautiful games I've ever played. That city man.

I'm such a sap.

So there. This applies to Wolf's comment too.

Sesheenku
06-18-2014, 09:03 PM
AC3 had a washed out filter, and Unity kinda does as well. It is a bit saturated, but to be honest I think it is very fitting with the setting. It was not necessary in AC3

Revelations does NOT have better graphics. You guys are just being fooled by the wonderful environments and ambience. For example, AC4 still had crap geometry and poly count on natural surfaces like rocks and cliffs, but it still looked wayy better than AC3's because of the way the environment was set up.

I did not like ACR graphics. It was way too rough and sharp. The reason the AC3 tree models looked so much worse was because they had to model them to be climbable, which is incredibly difficult.

AC4 and Revelations are PRETTIER than Watch Dogs, because watch dogs is in a concrete urban centre.That doesn't mean it is graphically better. In AC, the art direction is more free and vibrant. In modern day locations, they don't have any room to experiment.

I don't know who you're talking to.

Definitely not me.

There is no argument here some of the textures in AC3 are utter ****, far worse than Revelations. They're ****ing awful.

That said, yeah it has better textures in most other places and has better character models BUT it's not better in every single aspect graphically.

Some of the textures are simply poorly made. \

Ever seen the texture of the leaves on those large view point trees? The leaves are massive and the texture must be no bigger than 512x512... it's inexcusable, it looks like a texture from a game from the 90's.

adventurewomen
06-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Dislike the filters Ubisoft insist to use in AC they are awful!

AC3 didn't have filters the game looked great without them! AC4 looked like Ubisoft added a high contrast filter on top of almost everything, it looked too bright.

AC2 Venice could have done without the filter.

Megas_Doux
06-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Dislike the filters Ubisoft insist to use in AC they are awful!

AC3 didn't have filters the game looked great without them! AC4 looked like Ubisoft added a high contrast filter on top of almost everything, it looked too bright.

AC III DOES have filters.....

adventurewomen
06-18-2014, 09:59 PM
AC III DOES have filters.....
Maybe it's my eyes but I didn't see that much of filters being used in AC3. The Frontier looked clear from filters midday - afternoon looked clear for example, so that's where I'm basing my opinion from.

pacmanate
06-18-2014, 11:23 PM
Maybe it's my eyes but I didn't see that much of filters being used in AC3. The Frontier looked clear from filters midday - afternoon looked clear for example, so that's where I'm basing my opinion from.

AC3 had some pretty bad filters, when you see it without filters it looks way better.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 12:46 AM
AC3 had some pretty bad filters, when you see it without filters it looks way better.

Provide pics man!

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 01:07 AM
Pac, Sid didn't remove any filters he used SweetFX, which is completely different.

Basically what he did was increase the saturation of the colors.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 01:40 AM
Pac, Sid didn't remove any filters he used SweetFX, which is completely different.

Basically what he did was increase the saturation of the colors.

Ah I've seen that mod... nvm then Pac.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-19-2014, 06:01 AM
Maybe it's the saturation. Something about the colors when in doors and then the way the lighting outside looks ... I don't know. Hard to describe. Almost dusty. But not BLAND. And then inside, everything looks nice.

As for graphics -- ACR had the best. Haven't played AC4 myself so hard to compare that one but ACR definitely > AC3. AC2 has the worst graphics IMO. Everything had an unnatural shine that made it look like it was all built out of wet plastic. I don't know. AC2's my favorite but man... something about the graphics just seems lower compared to the original.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 06:10 AM
Maybe it's the saturation. Something about the colors when in doors and then the way the lighting outside looks ... I don't know. Hard to describe. Almost dusty. But not BLAND. And then inside, everything looks nice.

As for graphics -- ACR had the best. Haven't played AC4 myself so hard to compare that one but ACR definitely > AC3. AC2 has the worst graphics IMO. Everything had an unnatural shine that made it look like it was all built out of wet plastic. I don't know. AC2's my favorite but man... something about the graphics just seems lower compared to the original.

There are some low res textures in AC3 while ACR is very carefully textured that said AC3 has better textures in general save for a few.

AC2's graphics aren't technically worse, their textures are better than one, the problem is the lighting and the LoD textures, I have picture to show you an example.

http://i.imgur.com/rkENbRJ.jpg

Notice the extremely low resolution LoD texture that appears at WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too close a distance. It's bloody awful. AC1 didn't have it and thus looks better until you say look close up at Ezios robe which threads can be seen whereas Altairs has the illusion of depth in the texture with darkened shadowed parts, that said Altairs is leather and not cloth.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 06:16 AM
although AC2's face textures and eyes are generally terrible

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 06:18 AM
although AC2's face textures and eyes are generally terrible

I think it's more the lighting here that makes it worse looking than 1, it's too strong, so strong that it covers up the details in the skin textures and makes them appear smooth and doll like.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-19-2014, 09:09 AM
There are some low res textures in AC3 while ACR is very carefully textured that said AC3 has better textures in general save for a few.

AC2's graphics aren't technically worse, their textures are better than one, the problem is the lighting and the LoD textures, I have picture to show you an example.

http://i.imgur.com/rkENbRJ.jpg

Notice the extremely low resolution LoD texture that appears at WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too close a distance. It's bloody awful. AC1 didn't have it and thus looks better until you say look close up at Ezios robe which threads can be seen whereas Altairs has the illusion of depth in the texture with darkened shadowed parts, that said Altairs is leather and not cloth.

Interesting, I new the textures are better in 2 than 1. I meant the overall look just... no. But yeah... Altair's outfit is leather? I always thought it was cloth like the monks would be wearing...

shobhit7777777
06-19-2014, 09:26 AM
AC1 and ACR were incredibly pretty games IMO

Farlander1991
06-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Their tree textures are objectively better, I've seen some leave textures on the trees in the frontier... they look like they're from Quake 3, extremely low res and poorly textured in the way that they look like plates of leaves rather than individual leaves.

Here's an example.

Revelations tree

http://i.imgur.com/wqXQPoL.jpg?1

Note how each leaf appears to be an individual leaf, not part of a group of leaves.

Then there's this amateur ******** in AC3

http://i.imgur.com/MSn78m7.jpg

The hell is that? The texture is awful but it may also be the fault of the tree model. It's inexcusable.

One thing to remember is that AC3 has to show much many more trees than ACR.

How many trees do we see in ACR close-up? 1, 2, 3 at most? Plus 4-5 at a medium distance and maybe like 10 at a far distance (all with simpler moderls and smaller textures, of course)? Trees are a complex thing, and the total number of (non-climbable) trees seen at any given time in ACR is the same as the amount of climbable trees we see close-up in AC3, plus dozens in a medium distance and dozens more farther away. Some compromises have to be made.

Though I must say that as a whole the forested areas in AC3 look amazing, even if when you inspect every single tree it might not seem so.

SixKeys
06-19-2014, 11:07 AM
I think it's more the lighting here that makes it worse looking than 1, it's too strong, so strong that it covers up the details in the skin textures and makes them appear smooth and doll like.

Gotta disagree. This:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69648

is objectively more realistic than this:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/350/3/3/ezio_auditore__assassin__s_creed_2__by_nylah22-d5o8deg.png

If you view the images full size, you'll see the textures on Ezio are practically non-existent. His face is like plastic with a bit of skin matte thrown on it. Whereas Garnier's face has superb detail with warts and wrinkles visible even from a distance.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 03:31 PM
Gotta disagree. This:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69648

is objectively more realistic than this:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/350/3/3/ezio_auditore__assassin__s_creed_2__by_nylah22-d5o8deg.png

If you view the images full size, you'll see the textures on Ezio are practically non-existent. His face is like plastic with a bit of skin matte thrown on it. Whereas Garnier's face has superb detail with warts and wrinkles visible even from a distance.

Uh... you do know that a render right? That's not indicative at all on how it looks in game.

Just like Ezio doesn't look as detailed as this.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/265/c/b/ezio_auditore_render_ac_2_by_chasingthesun7-d4aln3e.png

Here's a proper comparison picture.

http://lparchive.org/Assassins-Creed/Update 10/1-10.png

It's still plasticy, he's just old so they add wrinkles to the textures and maybe his face model.

Malik is a better comparison.

http://lgm.cl/tvtropes/staticimages/malik_al-sayf_ac_render_6258.png

He doesn't have details added for age.

jdowny
06-19-2014, 07:28 PM

III has filters, just not as obvious as those from AC 1. Boston has a slight blue tinge, New York has a slight orange tinge. Without having something to compare to though, trying to discern whether Unity has a filter is difficult.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 08:34 PM
III has filters, just not as obvious as those from AC 1. Boston has a slight blue tinge, New York has a slight orange tinge. Without having something to compare to though, trying to discern whether Unity has a filter is difficult.

Looks grayish to me but it definitely has filters.

Boston
http://i.imgur.com/aXFgpfy.jpg?1

New York
http://i.imgur.com/oiNBA66.jpg

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 08:52 PM
There is a cool filter in Boston and the Frontier.

Also, Altairs outfit was cloth, not leather.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 08:53 PM
There is a cool filter in Boston and the Frontier.

Also, Altairs outfit was cloth, not leather.

You're right, it seems leathery in the first game and in ACR though, it's just particularly rough cloth though.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 09:12 PM
You're right, it seems leathery in the first game and in ACR though, it's just particularly rough cloth though.

It never looked like leather to me, I don't see how it does.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 09:24 PM
It never looked like leather to me, I don't see how it does.

There's not even a visible thread in AC1 and in ACR it looks scaly.

ACfan443
06-19-2014, 10:15 PM

An ACU developer mentioned in an E3 interview that each district of Paris would have a unique art style, I suspect different filters may be used to compliment each of the districts, perhaps making it easier to assess whether or not they're in the game.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 10:18 PM
An ACU developer mentioned in an E3 interview that each district of Paris would have a unique art style, I suspect different filters may be used to compliment each of the districts, perhaps making it easier to assess whether or not they're in the game.

I'd rather not honestly. I'd rather they just go with simple realism and not all these filters.

Shahkulu101
06-19-2014, 10:22 PM
I don't mind filters as long as they're subtle and don't ruin everything. Like the horrid teal filter in Venice - bleughhhhhh.

So yeah, keep them effective at conveying the ambiance of the location in the most unnoticeable way possible. Like ACR with its yellow haze, that blended in because Constantinople was a sun-drenched location.

ACfan443
06-19-2014, 10:22 PM
I'd rather not honestly. I'd rather they just go with simple realism and not all these filters.

Can't disagree with that. The only filters I liked were the ones in the original game (contrary to popular opinion), the ones in AC2 and ACB were hit and miss and the one in ACR was way, way too orange.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 10:23 PM
Can't disagree with that. The only filters I liked were the ones in the original game (contrary to popular opinion), the ones in AC2 and ACB were hit and miss and the one in ACR was way, way too orange.

I love the ACR one, I thought it suited the art style. Also ACR to me has an almost cell shaded art style to me

SixKeys
06-19-2014, 10:29 PM
Here's a proper comparison picture.

http://lparchive.org/Assassins-Creed/Update 10/1-10.png

It's still plasticy, he's just old so they add wrinkles to the textures and maybe his face model.

Malik is a better comparison.

http://lgm.cl/tvtropes/staticimages/malik_al-sayf_ac_render_6258.png

He doesn't have details added for age.

Both of those still look better than any NPCs in AC2. Garnier's in-game model is very close to the render I posted.

Megas_Doux
06-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Jerusalemīs filter remains my favorite.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Both of those still look better than any NPCs in AC2. Garnier's in-game model is very close to the render I posted.

I disagree, I see an immense amount more of detail in the render.

It matters little from a technical standpoint AC2 is better. We can argue aesthetics all day but it means little in the end.

Garnier is a poor choice as I said, the wrinkles give the illusion of extra detail, when I play AC2 on my PC I can see some pores on the skin, not massively detailed but they're present, the texture work itself may suffer or it may be the lighting and shaders that cause it to look bad, which is plausible, a 4k skin texture on a Skyrim character can look ****ty under intense light.

Malik is quite smooth and plasticy though.

Here's some personal pics to compare to brick textures.

AC1 Damascus brick

http://i.imgur.com/nYLmvaI.jpg

AC2 Florence brick

http://i.imgur.com/fhPmeC8.jpg

Here's a good pic to make my points, first it shows how strong light can bleed and make a skin texture look worse, second it shows Ezio's robe which unlike Altairs in AC1 has threads that you can actually see.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111007131443/assassinscreed/images/e/ee/EMG_2.png

ACfan443
06-19-2014, 10:48 PM
I love the ACR one, I thought it suited the art style. Also ACR to me has an almost cell shaded art style to me

I don't see anything remotely cell shaded about ACR. If anything, Damascus was the one that had a (very slight) cell shaded look about it.

http://portforward.com/games/walkthroughs/Assassins-Creed/Assassins-Creed-large-0216.jpg

ACR's yellow tinge could have done with being toned down a few notches, it did however become increasingly bearable the further I progressed into the game.

pacmanate
06-19-2014, 11:01 PM
I cant put my finger on why to me it reminds me of cell shading, i just think some aspects do, like his robes for example or wooden textures

http://www.dpadmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Assassins-Creed-Revelation-01.png

SixKeys
06-19-2014, 11:03 PM
I disagree, I see an immense amount more of detail in the render.

It matters little from a technical standpoint AC2 is better. We can argue aesthetics all day but it means little in the end.

Garnier is a poor choice as I said, the wrinkles give the illusion of extra detail, when I play AC2 on my PC I can see some pores on the skin, not massively detailed but they're present, the texture work itself may suffer or it may be the lighting and shaders that cause it to look bad, which is plausible, a 4k skin texture on a Skyrim character can look ****ty under intense light.

Malik is quite smooth and plasticy though.

Here's a good pic to make my points, first it shows how strong light can bleed and make a skin texture look worse, second it shows Ezio's robe which unlike Altairs in AC1 has threads that you can actually see.

Cloth texture is one thing, I'm talking about skin and faces since those are what we're staring at most of the time. Ezio's assassin robes have realistic textures, since that's what he wears throughout most of the game, but as you can see in the earlier pic I posted, his nobleman's clothes are very simplistic and so are most NPCs'.

Antonio is definitely one of the better examples when it comes to faces, but pretty much everyone else looks way too smooth and plastic, even Uncle Mario.

http://theinquisitiveloon.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/fullscreen-capture-10242012-91838-pmbmp.jpg

For the sake of comparison, look at Abul Nu'quod. You can clearly see the warts and wrinkles on his face and even veins on his arms. None of the AC2 characters have that sort of detail.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111004164700/assassinscreed/it/images/e/eb/Abu'l_Nuqoud_AC_19.png

Probably the worst of AC1's targets (graphically) is William, and even he has better skin/stubble texture than AC2 NPCs. His skin reflects light in realistic ways, whereas Mario's has a weirdly muted matte look:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111130163657/assassinscreed/images/c/c0/AC_William_v_2.png

Lighting definitely plays a part though, as in some environments the characters look much better:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121011071008/assassinscreed/images/a/aa/PMP_1_v.png

SixKeys
06-19-2014, 11:06 PM
BTW, not sure if that's the point you were going for, but AC1's brick textures look a hell of a lot better than AC2's.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 11:25 PM
BTW, not sure if that's the point you were going for, but AC1's brick textures look a hell of a lot better than AC2's.

Objectively you can see the roughness of the Florentine stone. So yeah I disagree, AC1 has the sharpness but not the rough feel. Open it in a new tab and maximize the image cause it's clear as day to me.

Once you maximize both images the AC1 loses some of it's sharpness in the edges while the AC2 one is still quite sharp and rough.

SixKeys
06-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Objectively you can see the roughness of the Florentine stone. So yeah I disagree, AC1 has the sharpness but not the rough feel. Open it in a new tab and maximize the image cause it's clear as day to me.

I did view them both full size. AC1 still looks better. The instant I look at the AC1 screenshot, I can feel the texture under my skin, every sandy grain, the coolness of the stone etc. When I look at AC2, it's like everything's..... muted. Maybe it is the lighting. All I know is that it just doesn't look as real to me.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 11:34 PM
I did view them both full size. AC1 still looks better. The instant I look at the AC1 screenshot, I can feel the texture under my skin, every sandy grain, the coolness of the stone etc. When I look at AC2, it's like everything's..... muted. Maybe it is the lighting. All I know is that it just doesn't look as real to me.

I find that the AC2 stone looks rougher, AC1's is nice far away but as you close in on it the lines between the bricks show more pixels, I can see it immediately when I open the image in a new tab and then maximize it.

SixKeys
06-19-2014, 11:48 PM
I find that the AC2 stone looks rougher, AC1's is nice far away but as you close in on it the lines between the bricks show more pixels, I can see it immediately when I open the image in a new tab and then maximize it.

I think for me what creates the discord in AC2 is that some textures look fantastic and others - in the same shot - look terrible. In the AC1 screenshot everything is the same sharpness, regardless of distance. In the AC2 example, the bricks that make up the wall look fine, but the higher up you gaze, the softer everything becomes. Look at the realistic glass on the lower window compared to the extremely blurry one right above it. Then you have the sharp bricks that make up most of the wall, but the stones around each window (and the ones surrounding the gate) look amateurish. The tiles above the street lamp remind me of 90s web design buttons.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 11:52 PM
I think for me what creates the discord in AC2 is that some textures look fantastic and others - in the same shot - look terrible. In the AC1 screenshot everything is the same sharpness, regardless of distance. In the AC2 example, the bricks that make up the wall look fine, but the higher up you gaze, the softer everything becomes. Look at the realistic glass on the lower window compared to the extremely blurry one right above it. Then you have the sharp bricks that make up most of the wall, but the stones around each window (and the ones surrounding the gate) look amateurish. The tiles above the street lamp remind me of 90s web design buttons.

Ah yes that's quite true. I was focusing very specifically on the bricks so I wasn't worried about those but I can agree.

I think it also has something to do with the daytime cycle, it causes jagged and inaccurate shadows as well, which just cause everything to have a very low res feel.

pacmanate
06-20-2014, 02:01 AM
With AC2 they went with a different artistic approach. AC2 is more plasticy and cartoony compared to AC1 which was not attempting that.

Sesheenku
06-20-2014, 02:27 AM
With AC2 they went with a different artistic approach. AC2 is more plasticy and cartoony compared to AC1 which was not attempting that.

I doubt they were aiming for that.

Rugterwyper32
06-20-2014, 02:43 AM
I saw the mention of cel shading before, and that gives me an idea even if it's just for a one shot for the series. What if they made a game based on one of the comic books but with cel shaded style? I just had that thought when I saw the mention of it in the topic. I think it could prove interesting for that. Just an idea here.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-20-2014, 08:28 AM
I saw the mention of cel shading before, and that gives me an idea even if it's just for a one shot for the series. What if they made a game based on one of the comic books but with cel shaded style? I just had that thought when I saw the mention of it in the topic. I think it could prove interesting for that. Just an idea here.

I would not be opposed to a cel shaded AC spin off. I love cel shaded stuff so that would be fine. But yeah, it should probably be a one-off. I'd mind if AC suddenly switched but it never would anyway sooo..

TheDanteEX
06-20-2014, 07:27 PM
On the topic of face quality, AC2 had moving faces, such as their eyebrows, so characters could show more emotion. In AC1 faces were (mostly) static and only the mouths would move. The quality there may have had to be sacrificed to display more expressions. And AC2 really did have an interesting artstyle. I always thought it looked coated in a layer of metallic or something.

Sesheenku
06-22-2014, 03:38 AM
On the topic of face quality, AC2 had moving faces, such as their eyebrows, so characters could show more emotion. In AC1 faces were (mostly) static and only the mouths would move. The quality there may have had to be sacrificed to display more expressions. And AC2 really did have an interesting artstyle. I always thought it looked coated in a layer of metallic or something.

The cost should be measured in polygons rather than textures though and while I know that the textures are technically better they look worse, as I said before most likely cause of the awfully strong bloom from lights that just bleed onto everything and sapped away the detail.