PDA

View Full Version : What got you interested in Assassin's Creed?

LatinaC09
06-17-2014, 12:54 PM
So what originally got you into this series?

For me, I started with AC2 and funny enough, the only reason I bought the game at launch was because I thought that the cover looked cool. Obviously when I started playing it, I discovered how vast the world was. The main thing that keeps me coming back to this series is the history and the locations! I've always been interested in history but now I like to learn everything I can about it and I credit a lot of that to Assassin's Creed. Whenever a new AC game and the location/era are announced, I learn all I can about that period of history so I can invest myself even more into the game at launch.

There are many more reasons why I play this game series but that's a big one right there. So what about you guys?

Farlander1991
06-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Well, I was a fan of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time trilogy, and then heard that the same people are making a new game, that's set in the Crusades (which was one of the historical periods I was a fan of as well, did a lot of research at the time), so those two things that were a lot of interest to me mashed together? Sold!

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 01:01 PM
A mate and I were bored. I was looking for something to play in his house. I found AC2 and looked at the cover, picked it up and laughed. "Haha that's so gay why do you own that?"

Play it, he said. You'll probably like it.

I did.

deskp
06-17-2014, 01:08 PM
that awesome cgi trailer with Altair losing the guards amoung the monks.

rprkjj
06-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Rented the first one. I never beat it, then my cousin told me how it ended. Then when AC2 came out I rented it and played it with him. Brotherhood was the first AC I was really excited for.

steveeire
06-17-2014, 01:15 PM
The E3 when they showed the trailer for Assassins Creed for the first time.

Locopells
06-17-2014, 01:32 PM
First saw ACI for consoles, in a supermarket after a 8 hour flight from Kenya...

Didn't think about it again, until I saw a magazine article on the then upcoming ACII, so went and got ACI, which was out for PCs by that point.

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Assassinating people in history.

But what kept me was parkour and exploring the different environments, and the games inspired a passion in history for me.

roostersrule2
06-17-2014, 01:58 PM
When Patrice came to me with the idea, I didn't like it. But a few more meetings and brown paper bags later AC1 was born.

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 02:03 PM
The lure of walking about in a historically accurate city. I used to play around with those visual 3d city models that came with encarta encyclopedia for days. Then I found AC and you can imagine my joy.

shobhit7777777
06-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Assassin sim

Legendz54
06-17-2014, 02:15 PM
I brutally bashed and robbed some guy on the street and when i got home and checked what he had in his bag AC1 was in there and I tried it out... now its one of my favourite game series.

LoyalACFan
06-17-2014, 02:56 PM
Me and a buddy used to leave the cafeteria early in high school and sneak into the library to get some peace and quiet away from all the redneck hooligans we went to school with who hadn't matured a bit since kindergarten. Once a month or so (however often GameInformer comes out) he'd bring in a copy of it and we'd drool over upcoming games. AC2 really looked fantastic to me: dat screenshot of Ezio high-diving into a Venetian canal, man. Problem was I knew it would be ESRB-rated M and my parents are hardcore conservatives (they didn't even allow me to play T-rated Star Wars games until I was like 15 lol) but fortunately that was the year I got my driver's license. I told my folks I was taking my (imaginary, lol) "girlfriend" out to dinner and instead drove to the Wal-Mart in the next town over (the magical land where none of the employees have any idea what they're doing and don't care if underage kids get M-rated games) and picked up AC2. Had to park in the church lot and wait about an hour to make the date alibi seem realistic. The next morning I told them "Madison" broke up with me, lel.

http://jamesgamesreview.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/forever-alone-award-assassins-creed.jpg

I-Like-Pie45
06-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Pft

They wouldn't buy Meow AC3 cause it was rated M but they still did

Because Meow used speech check!

rprkjj
06-17-2014, 03:00 PM
I feel like I'm the only one whose parents never gave a **** about ESRB.

Markaccus
06-17-2014, 03:06 PM
The very first tv ad for ac1. Best game ad i have ever seen. Fan of ac games ever since.

LoyalACFan
06-17-2014, 03:10 PM
I feel like I'm the only one whose parents never gave a **** about ESRB.

Lulz. Sometimes I feel like my parents were the only ones who did. None of my friends' parents ever gave a damn, I played GTA3 at my best friend's house when we were like 8. Not saying that's better or worse than having a stick up your *** about ESRB, but that's how it is.

rprkjj
06-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Lulz. Sometimes I feel like my parents were the only ones who did. None of my friends' parents ever gave a damn, I played GTA3 at my best friend's house when we were like 8. Not saying that's better or worse than having a stick up your *** about ESRB, but that's how it is.

I remember playing GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas when I was like 5. I don't really think age has anything to do with how well someone handles videogame violence. As a parent, I think you should know whether your child can handle stuff like that or not rather then stonewalling them from mildly inappropriate stuff based on something as arbitrary as age.

Aphex_Tim
06-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Well, I was a fan of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time trilogy, and then heard that the same people are making a new game, that's set in the Crusades (which was one of the historical periods I was a fan of as well, did a lot of research at the time), so those two things that were a lot of interest to me mashed together? Sold!

Pretty much this for me as well. I was initially interested because it was supposed to be a new entry in the PoP franchise; more of a spin-off. Then eventually it became a game of it's own!

wvstolzing
06-17-2014, 03:46 PM
It was a time when I was trying to recover from the ending of Mass Effect 3 (yes, I'm one of those people), had been overplaying Arkham Asylum/City, getting incredibly frustrated that the awful PC port of GTA4 wouldn't work on my (somewhat capable) system at the time, and so on.

I play games, and read science fiction, deliberately to escape from my ****ty everyday existence, clear my mind, and so on.

So I needed another fix. I had seen AC2's cover art, but wasn't intrigued at all, in that Ezio's robes made me think it was some sort of Final Fantasy-type.... 'fantastical'.... whatever... thing. Since I was somewhat desperate, I thought I could check out a few let's plays, and decide whether to get it.

I watched an hour-long let's play of the beginning of the game, and getting to meet Leonardo did it for me. I immediately bought it over Steam; a few hours later I was a rabid fan.

JustPlainQuirky
06-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Saw sister playing original years ago. Was traumatized by stabbing scene so I always remembered it. Still thought it looked cool and wanted to play it.

December 2013, the year i was finally able to legally play the games, i picked up AC3 on wii u and beat it. I bought AC4 immediately after.

edit: lol was I the only one who actually waited until I was of legal age?

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-17-2014, 03:51 PM
I don't really remember how I got into AC in the first place. All I heard was that it was a good gaming series from a reputable gaming company, so I wanted to try it out. I've been hooked ever since :)

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 04:26 PM
I had seen AC2's cover art, but wasn't intrigued at all, in that Ezio's robes made me think it was some sort of Final Fantasy-type.... 'fantastical'.... whatever... thing. Since I was somewhat desperate, I thought I could check out a few let's plays, and decide whether to get it.

I watched an hour-long let's play of the beginning of the game, and getting to meet Leonardo did it for me. I immediately bought it over Steam; a few hours later I was a rabid fan.

http://zerowoes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly19.jpg

LatinaC09
06-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Interesting stories here. I always wonder if I would have still been a huge fan of AC had I started at the beginning and played it in 2007.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 05:27 PM
All the videos I watched of AC1, I new I had to have it. I did like PoP before as well but it was less of a factor then how awesome all the videos and trailers looked.

Newer players can't stand the game but I find myself capable of replaying it quite often.

adventurewomen
06-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Being able to live and experience important historic events, that is what got me interested.

Also at the time of AC1 I was impressed by how realistic the AC1 trailer looked back then.

Dome500
06-17-2014, 05:31 PM
I was bored of my old games and heared of that cool new game with an Assassin as protagonist.

Loved the free-climbing, the whole Brotherhood thing, the mystical mysterious aspect of the story and the clean and calculating nature of the assassinations. And free-climbing was back then something rarely used by other games in such a way. Add breathtaking scale and landscapes and interesting history background (I always loved the crusades as historical period) and they got me.

Bought it used though back in the days. A shame you can't do that too often these days. Back in the days a lot of used games introduced me to amazing franchises.

not the only one, but probably one of few.

I played 18+ games since I was 14, didn't do me any harm but that depends on the person (my parents didn't know of course at that time)
Non the less the time I got introduced to AC I was already legally able to play it for a long time, since in my country the game was always 16+ and not 18+.

pacmanate
06-17-2014, 05:32 PM
I first saw my friend play it on his Xbox 360, it was right at the start of the game where Desmond has trouble syncing and the animus is going crazy. I thought it looked cool :P

Then i found out it stemmed from PoP and gave it a shot. I loved AC1, and by the time I got it, AC2 was just around the corner

Rugterwyper32
06-17-2014, 05:42 PM
The historical element. Someone recommended the game back in 2010 to me, then I hopped into it. I was annoyed at the fact there was a modern day section but I still appreciated it in that game, as I liked it as an element that explained gameplay elements very well (surviving multiple hits and recovering health, for instance, were very well explained by the animus). It was a good framing device, but the cool thing and what mattered to me about it was the story in the Crusades, with wonderful recreations of some cities at the time and elements like that. And that historical element is what's kept me with the series ever since.

EDIT: About the other age discussion, many of the M rated games I've gotten have been from 2009 onwards, when I turned 18. The only exceptions I can think of are Resident Evil 0, REmake and 4, which I got when I was 17 years old, and Doom, which I've been playing since I was... Probably 5 or 6. I first played it with the Doom95 source port, which still sucks to date.

D4rkAssass1n123
06-17-2014, 06:56 PM
well it was like this:

it was 2010 when brotherhood came out

I was goint to a friends house to play mario kart with him but when i arrived there he was playing AC2 and i asked what it was. he told me stuff about it and said he couldnt wait for acb to launch and showed me the acb e3 trailer aftr that. then he let me play ac2 and even tho i didnt do any story related stuff (i was just killing some guards and discovering the different cities) i had so much fun like never before. the parkour was so amazing :D then when i left my friends house i bought his version of ac1 xD because i wanted to play it so bad. i enjoyed the time with ac1 then (even tho i hve to say for me it was a lil bit boring cos ive already seen ac2s mechanics which r much better in my opinion) and after finishing ac1 i ordered ac2 on amazon while the credits where on the screen. and since then i bought any ac game on the release and im a huge fan ( i actually played each game over 8 times and right now im playing revelations again and i hve to say i hvnt got dissapointed by any ac game yet (ok maybe ac3 a lil... xD ) )

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Saw sister playing original years ago. Was traumatized by stabbing scene so I always remembered it. Still thought it looked cool and wanted to play it.

December 2013, the year i was finally able to legally play the games, i picked up AC3 on wii u and beat it. I bought AC4 immediately after.

You behave so well Mayrice.

The rest of us were hooligans. Adult Swim at 11? Yes pls. Quake 3 Arena at 8? Oh my yes.

pacmanate
06-17-2014, 07:36 PM
I played AC1 when I was 13... GTA Vice City when I was 11...

I turned out ****ed up. Dont do drugs.

wvstolzing
06-17-2014, 07:44 PM
You people are young....

When I was 8, I got my Commodore 64. The most violent thing I could have hoped to play was 'Barbarian', possibly.

http://youtu.be/14ORMf6SjTc

FF to 01:30, for a gruesome decapitation.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 07:46 PM
You people are young....

When I was 8, I got my Commodore 64. The most violent thing I could have hoped to play was 'Barbarian', possibly.

http://youtu.be/14ORMf6SjTc

I'm only 21 lol.

yankeegamergirl
06-17-2014, 08:12 PM
AC I....the commercial stood out too me so much and I couldn't believe there was a game coming into the world that took place in the era of one of my favorite topics of history. Of course it was very different to what I expected but visually I thought it looked stunning and still think it does....just played through a couple of my favorite sequences last night.

GunnerGalactico
06-17-2014, 08:14 PM
I read about the first AC in a local gaming magazine and saw the screenshots. It looked and sounded very enticing and the main character looked badass. A month later I saw the trailer and gameplay footage... that made me want to play the game and I've never looked back ever since.

Syler99
06-17-2014, 08:53 PM
for AC it was the midievil setting and the gameplay of sneaking through the world ease dropping back then wasn't the stay in the circle it is today, I liked how the game made you have to be careful of just rushing in because you really had no medpacks. I liked how Altier was questioning in a natural way, I liked how he was changing in a natural way from a jerk to wiser man I liked how he developed, I liked the brutal fighting I remember the stabbing in the streets one of your targets did how that was horrifying to me I thought, " Oh crap..." seeing a brutal killing and not many other people cared about it free roaming about and being able to go to towns on my own was nice and the whole must go to an order before I kill a target made me feel like I was traveling and escaping back to it also made me feel more like an assassin.

Next with Ezio (my fav of the guys) I liked his teenage personality moreso when he was out for blood or to pick fights his sleeping around I could do without but his city felt alive and he felt real so did his family I later discovered they were based on an actual family at the time giving them more of an original feel to them. I liked him living a dual life of devoted son and private rebel , I love seeing Ezio mature over time over years I feel like I know him more then any other assassin I know his loves, his vices, his emotional weaknesses, and his inner strengths. My favorite Ezio is in Revelations he's finally matured is wiser and takes his responsibility like a tribal leader instead of for the greater good. His relationship with his sister is also wonderful I wish I could be Claudia but with way more action and less sitting at home and running messages to chicken coops.

The women in the stories can keep me going when the male heros can't like meeting Reed and the Irish pirate woman from black flag both very interesting and I did like how they attempted to have a blending woman she's more assassin in lifestyle then most our heros are because she's using everything even hiding herself if it'll get her the outcome she needs and wants, I LOVED Caterina Sforza! Such an awesome personality! and I also liked both Claudia and her mother on opposite ends of the personality scale both were also brave though the mother was an internal and Claudia was the external both were great and I wanted to see more of them. I liked fem hunter from AC3 she was the most interesting character in the series besides Achilles.

Another thing that drew me to the series was the interesting concept of history being rewritten by the temlars (and assassins) a larger conspiracy that in practice by ubi is being wasted so too is the bleeding effect I was actually looking forward to Desmond going insane but nope forgotten soooo now no ones going to go crazy in a slow way for the greater good of the order's survival.

SixKeys
06-17-2014, 09:00 PM
AC1's CGI trailer caught my attention. I'm usually very picky about graphics, so most trailers fail to impress me, but this one had some really nice animation and an interesting concept. The name stuck in my mind, but I forgot about the game until AC2's trailer came out and once again wowed me with its animation. That's when I decided to pick up the first game to see if it was my thing at all, and was hooked from the start.

TheHumanTowel
06-17-2014, 09:09 PM
This demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqQ5XMTAH0U

Solaria1220
06-17-2014, 09:17 PM
played the first one because I thought it sounded interesting, got hooked on the series.

JustPlainQuirky
06-17-2014, 10:01 PM
You behave so well Mayrice.

The rest of us were hooligans. Adult Swim at 11? Yes pls. Quake 3 Arena at 8? Oh my yes.

Well I was raised in a family that would gasp if you said the word 'crap' in their presence so...

:rolleyes:

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Well I was raised in a family that would gasp if you said the word 'crap' in their presence so...

You're not alone. I was raised in a Christian home and cursing was not allowed :cool:

But even as old as I am now, being able to do a lot of things I couldn't do before, I don't like to curse [unless I ABSOLUTELY have to lol]

JustPlainQuirky
06-17-2014, 10:20 PM
You're not alone. I was raised in a Christian home and cursing was not allowed :cool:

But even as old as I am now, being able to do a lot of things I couldn't do before, I don't like to curse [unless I ABSOLUTELY have to lol]

I don't curse IRL.

Aside from the two worst words you can think of being mashed together. :cool:

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-17-2014, 10:30 PM
I don't curse IRL.

Aside from the two worst words you can think of being mashed together. :cool:

Lol good for you. :D

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 10:37 PM

Ah lol damn. Only words my Christian parents get mad about are well... actual bad words lol. Still use em though.

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 10:40 PM
I swear like a Scotsman. In the presence of mama Shahk.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 11:11 PM

Same, cept maybe not like a Scotsman. Dad's the one who cares most. It's hard for me to care though, it's so common these days that the words hardly have any meaning to me.

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 11:15 PM
That's what I always say. They are just words.

The reason people use them is to express emotions, not to do Satan's bidding. :rolleyes:

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 11:20 PM
I didn't start playing M rated games until I was 15. My first M-Rated games were Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2. The next M rated game I got was Fallout: New Vegas. I still haven't finished it, although I love it and prefer it over Fallout 3 (which I have finished), because I got distracted by other games, such as Mass Effect, and then Assassin's Creed. That was in 2010/2011. Man, good times.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 11:21 PM
That's what I always say. They are just words.

The reason people use them is to express emotions, not to do Satan's bidding. :rolleyes:

Exactly lol.

I didn't start playing M rated games until I was 15. My first M-Rated games were Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2. The next M rated game I got was Fallout: New Vegas. I still haven't finished it, although I love it and prefer it over Fallout 3 (which I have finished), because I got distracted by other games, such as Mass Effect, and then Assassin's Creed. That was in 2010/2011. Man, good times.

Half-Life 2, good man!

phoenix-force411
06-17-2014, 11:53 PM
I started from Assassin's Creed, and I've stuck with the franchise ever since then. I liked the parkour aspect of the game and the freedom it gives. The Modern Day story also made things very interesting.

BATISTABUS
06-18-2014, 01:21 AM
The stuff at E3 before AC1 was even out. Everything that they were saying about climbing buildings especially. The concept just sounded so freaking cool. I was soooo hyped. I was sad when the game got reviews below-expectation, but when I actually played the game, I was blown away.

DynaRider
06-18-2014, 01:48 AM
I was impressed with the graphic detail and being able to wander around at will through historically accurate settings. I also liked the relatively simple controls and being able to play through combat situations without getting killed a lot. The level of challenge has been about right for my skill level and only a few missions have frustrated me but were eventually completed (like having to jump to the side from a wall). I have enjoyed replaying all of the series several times and having the freedom to play in different ways.

I have to say that Black Flag has been my least favorite of the series. Edward seemed to be more of a pirate than an assassin and there was way too much pirating, ship upgrading and lengthy tailing requirements. The game just doesn't seem to fit in with the previous games. That said, I will continue to play the Assassin's Creed games as long as Ubi continues to make them.

Ferrith
06-18-2014, 02:38 AM

The historical period and the Templar Vs Assassins plot. Accidentally, at the time the first Assassin's Creed came out I was doing a research on the Knights Templar and their arrest by order of Philip IV of France. But since in all role-playing games I play I always choose an Assassin/Thief, there was no doubt on whose side I would be. :p

Long story short, I fell in love with the series.

phoenix-force411
06-18-2014, 02:40 AM
Does this song help too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soK21MsGvpg

Ferrith
06-18-2014, 03:11 AM
I think this one might help better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiCml4wNrbU

pirate1802
06-18-2014, 03:59 AM

Mama Pirate sometimes surprises me with her swearing vocabulary.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
06-18-2014, 05:16 AM
Parkour. Crusades. The trailer.

I remember watching Jade Raymond explain the game and watching Altair ride a horse, move through crowds, etc. I was super excited to see parkour in a game.

king-hailz
06-18-2014, 07:08 AM
Well with me i didnt know anything about AC2 when i bought it... no reviews no trailers, nothing.

So when i started playing it the first thing that interested me was the modern day... since its the first thing you see, i kinda thought it was a historical game because they spoke of templars and the crusades... and that interested me aswell.... and then when i went in the animus ans played as ezio i thought it was cool how big and beautiful the world was... and then i realized the free running element was in it and i LOVED that... then i realized that the combat did not include any guns which i was getting sick of so i LOVED that!!! Then the story was interesting with all the real world connections with conspiracies and stuff... i just LOVE it!

Layytez
06-18-2014, 07:36 AM
Modern day.

who-can-i-be
06-18-2014, 07:59 AM
I got onboard after Roger Craig Smith was announced to be Sonic's new VA. I started watching AC2 gameplay to get a feel of what he sounded like, and eventually bought it. So yeah, I owe Sonic for getting me into the AC franchise xD

phader75
06-18-2014, 11:26 AM
The moment i heard about assassin's creed coming i loved the middle east open world setting. I started with the first AC and fell in love with the game and gameplay. To me it seemed that they found a strong line between fiction and non fiction. pocket filling basterds and there victims, corruption and power seekers throughout history, extremism and control.Mind control and slavery. both sides story's told, who and wat is wrong and who or wat is right and who dissites, all that stuff in a series of games. That is wat got my interest in this series.

Ureh
06-18-2014, 08:18 PM
Saw Altair's hidden blade when I was kid. I was like.... awesome dood. But it was the rest of the game that got me hooked.

sings_in_tune
06-20-2014, 11:40 PM
I was playing another game that seems to have been abandoned by Ubisoft. So I looked around for a game that was popular and that had new games added regularly. Assassin's Creed fit the bill and I love how active this forum is.

I loved AC1 and have now started on AC2.

LieutenantRex
06-20-2014, 11:50 PM
It's kind of weird, actually. I wasn't much of a gamer, but I got a PSP as a prize for winning some stupid singing competition. I decided to buy a few games with it, because why the hell not? I liked open-world games, although I only briefly had experience with them when I was really young (the GTA series). I was searching around for some open-world games on the PSP, and I found Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines.

I was really captivated with the game. It was amazing. I could climb this and that?! I could step outside boundaries!? Excellent mission structure, a decent plot, and it took place in the past! History's always been a strong suit of mine. I got an Xbox-360 immediately after I beat Bloodlines in early 2011 and I purchased Brotherhood, then ACII and ACI, then ACR when it came out. I'll never regret winning that competition.

Moultonborough
06-21-2014, 10:13 AM

For me, I started with AC2 and funny enough, the only reason I bought the game at launch was because I thought that the cover looked cool. Obviously when I started playing it, I discovered how vast the world was. The main thing that keeps me coming back to this series is the history and the locations! I've always been interested in history but now I like to learn everything I can about it and I credit a lot of that to Assassin's Creed. Whenever a new AC game and the location/era are announced, I learn all I can about that period of history so I can invest myself even more into the game at launch.

There are many more reasons why I play this game series but that's a big one right there. So what about you guys?

This^
I was bored one day an drove to the local Best Buy noticed the AC2 cover been hooked ever since. I love history and to have a game take place during the Renaissance...very cool.

cawatrooper9
06-21-2014, 11:18 AM
I've played the series since the beginning. However, I wasn't ever really all that excited about it until two years ago when ACIII was announced. I liked Ezio, but the idea of a new protagonist seemed awesome.

I was a little disappointed in ACIII (though blown away by the Haytham bits), but Black Flag has done wonders to renew my faith in the franchise.

bondboy_88
06-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Where to start..... I think it must have been the blending in crowds and assassinating from the shadows. Started playing AC1 in December of 2007 and haven't stopped since. So glad to be a part of this family. :)

ryan8374
06-21-2014, 12:27 PM
I was building a new computer in March 2010 and received with the processor, a download code for AC2. Shortly after I started the game, I stopped and immediately went to Best Buy to get the first one. After playing through the first, I continued with the second. I've been hooked since.