PDA

View Full Version : Other games you like for the same reasons you like AC?

king-hailz
06-17-2014, 07:12 AM
So I was just wondering what are some other games that you like, and like for similar reasons as you like the AC series?

Also what is similar about them? (Beautiful cities, intriguing back story, great characters)...

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 07:32 AM
None, I don't have anything I can compare it to in order to say I like this game for the same reasons I like AC.

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 07:34 AM
The Saboteur, first and foremost:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/dwah_2006/TheSaboteur-08.jpg

It's AC in all but name. A historical city, parkour, stealth, conspiracies and ancient mysteries thrown in. This game is the reason I've never felt the reason to play a WW2 AC.

AherasSTRG
06-17-2014, 09:02 AM
I just might try saboteur myself now that you 've said that...

HiddenKiller612
06-17-2014, 09:20 AM
I vote The Saboteur as well, very good game.

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Oh and I forgot: It has its own version of Borgia towers and templar zones. And bonus points for having drivable tanks!

Aphex_Tim
06-17-2014, 09:47 AM
I got into Assassin's Creed because of the free-running. I've always been a big fan of Prince of Persia and it's platforming mechanics and the idea of being able to freerun in a big open world was really appealing to me. After playing AC1 it was also the history aspect that kept me interested.

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Far Cry and Watch Dogs.

What's that? They're all ubi games with similar mechanics? Yeah they are, and it's getting stale. The towers/viewpoints aren't even that good of a system but they are in every game nonetheless. Outposts I understand. Still though, I like their open world structure. The games are far better than GTA anyway.

steveeire
06-17-2014, 11:33 AM
I know people will yell at me when I say this but GTAV.

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Far Cry and Watch Dogs.

What's that? They're all ubi games with similar mechanics? Yeah they are, and it's getting stale. The towers/viewpoints aren't even that good of a system but they are in every game nonetheless. Outposts I understand. Still though, I like their open world structure. The games are far better than GTA anyway.

they don't have similar mechanics, they just have similar mission structures in terms of open world side content. And I think that the towers/viewpoint system is actually pretty good.

Although I like Assassin's Creed for it's historical settings, parkour, and the story.

DumbGamerTag94
06-17-2014, 03:12 PM
I would have to vote for......
1. The Saboteur: excellent game set in WW2 Paris northern France and Germany. Basically has everything AC has in terms of parkour, conspiracy, stealth(completely optional in this game btw), Historic cities, combined with the freedom and action of GTA(you can drive any car you find in game even tanks and go on a nazi killing rampage!). It's fantastic. My only drawbacks for this game is the black and white filter used to denote Nazi controlled areas(with red being the only color) and the fact that there are no actual historic characters. The black n white feature made sense for the game but made it feel a little too comic booky for me(which I think was what they were going for). Either way it didn't take way much from the game and actally was kind of a neat dramatic effect(wouldn't want it in an AC version tho).

2. Red Dead Redemption: One of my favorite games of all time! Probably the most movie like game I have ever played. An incredible experience throughout. Created a version of Americas Wild West and Northern Mexico circa 1911 so immersive you can do everything from heard cattle, to pass out drunk in a saloon, to save a town from a roaming gang that randomly will ride into town shooting up the place. While a lot of red deads map is fairly empty you are encouraged to roam in side quests and activities like hunting, treasure hunting, gang hideouts, and side missions. A large open world that varies from Midwestern plains to Rocky Mountains, rivers, deserts, and Mexican villas. Covers a wide range of historic issues and let's you take a front row seat(outlaw gangs dieing out, the creation of national police force(alluded to be FBI), The Mexican Civil War, the US Army's wars with the Indians, modernization, and the overall death of the Wild West). The story is incredibly good and makes you want to play all day and is action packed. I have heard of a very few people who hate this game(although the ones that do seem to just have an all out hate for Rockstar games probably due to GTA and an overly critical sense of what writing should be to them(my guess is jealousy as a result of failed/unpopular fan fiction they may have wrote). But in all seriousness Red Dead's only flaw in my book is a list if over the top characters that are just a little too much(but hat is partially due to the fact that a lot of them are intended as a satire of the old west and American life in much the same way GTA does), and a fictional setting(it is set in 1911 US and Mexico but all towns and areas are made up names and places).

These two games are really all that even comes close to AC in any way. Mostly due to their historic open world settings. The only thing that holds them back from AC is the level of fiction in them(as far as historic events). While these games cover historic concepts and issues. They really never touch on real people or actual specific events(other than the invasion of France in the Saboteur). So while you get a feel for an era it doesn't drop you in to history like AC does. In AC we see the very events that make it into our history classes and books. And that is something very unique to the series. It is also really the only series that takes these historic figures and humanizes them. So we can interact with them. Learn what they were like and experience their flaws. Basically proving that they were just ordinary men in extraordinary circumstances(the only exception is the Borgia who while IMO displayed accurately as corrupt and incestual and Cesare as a brutal military leader(monterrigioni) they were however given the personalities of mustache twirling cartoon villains and really no fairness was given to them whatsoever the were made too evil and were given no redeeming qualities. Which makes me feel they were a little too over the top).

But AC is really the only thing out there that gives us that.

JustPlainQuirky
06-17-2014, 04:00 PM
never heard of The saboteur. I might try it out...

Sushiglutton
06-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Prince Of Persia, Red Dead, FarCry, Arkham are the ones I can think of. They all have some elements similar to AC, but also several differences. Some aspects of AC no other franchise really does.

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Surprisingly few people have, it's one of the few gems to come out of the ****ty hell we call EA.

Makes me sad. Not only because it was such an underrated game, but because Pandemic disbanded shortly afterwards, which means we're never gonna get anything like it again.
*cries in a corner*

Sushiglutton
06-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Oh yeah: Tomb Raider and Mirror's Edge comes to mind.

DumbGamerTag94
06-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Surprisingly few people have, it's one of the few gems to come out of the ****ty hell we call EA.

Makes me sad. Not only because it was such an underrated game, but because Pandemic disbanded shortly afterwards, which means we're never gonna get anything like it again.
*cries in a corner*

I know :(. I was really hoping for a sequel or something. Then I found out about that :(

Locopells
06-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Anything 3rd person, with a touch of stealth - Hitman, Tomb Raider (mainly the reboot), LA Noire (more the historical aspect, no real stealth as I remember), Arkham games, Splinter Cell, you get the idea...

JustPlainQuirky
06-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Watched gameplay and reviews of Saboteur. It seems meh, but that could just be me.

I still haven't tried the batman games. Lack incentive. Might just pick up the new one coming out but I feel getting the 3 others might make it feel same-y.

AC has the pleasure of different characters and worlds so...

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 04:40 PM
Oh yeah, Tomb raider reboot as well. The platfoming and all, the ancient elements.. kept me feeling that I'm playing a modern day AC with guns.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Tomb Raider (original and reboot, visiting the world), Mirror's Edge (parkour), Devil May Cry (?), Resident Evil (story and characters), Portal (characters and story)

Saboteur sounds interesting but it sounds like a war game... and I don't like war games =/

DumbGamerTag94
06-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Watched gameplay and reviews of Saboteur. It seems meh, but that could just be me.

I still haven't tried the batman games. Lack incentive. Might just pick up the new one coming out but I feel getting the 3 others might make it feel same-y.

AC has the pleasure of different characters and worlds so...

Nah trust me Saboteur is a VERY good game. It's not AC good but it is very underrated and gets poor reviews for reasons I can't quite understand. I've played it through a few times. I'm a big fan myself.

Oh and I thought of another game that reminds me of AC a bit. The Metal Gear series. Very good mix of action and stealth. And in MGS3, MGS portable ops, MGS Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, and Phantom Pain are all somewhat historically centered around the Cold War and nuclear deterrence.

DumbGamerTag94
06-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Tomb Raider (original and reboot), Mirror's Edge, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Portal

Saboteur sounds interesting but it sounds like a war game... and I don't like war games =/

Yeah it's really not a war game. It's pretty much either stealth if you want to be or run and gun if you want. You aren't I the front lines or anything. But you get to basically be a leader in the French resistance and be a huge thorn in the nazis side

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 04:51 PM
It's not a war game. Its the story of vengeance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very AC-like :rolleyes:)

One of the few (or only?) WW2 games not dependent on all out war.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Yeah it's really not a war game. It's pretty much either stealth if you want to be or run and gun if you want. You aren't I the front lines or anything. But you get to basically be a leader in the French resistance and be a huge thorn in the nazis side

Oh I see. I just might look into that then.

Dome500
06-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Other games I like "for the same reasons I like AC" ?....
Hmm..... Idk...

Actually I like most games in their own way....

Batman Arkham Series is pretty similar, though I like that one mainly for it's Stealth Gameplay.
I like Dishonored because you are a deadly Assassin but then again what I love most about it is the Stealth.
I like Hitman and Splinter Cell for the exotic and variable locations, but then again, I also like them for their unique take on Stealth.

So in general, I love Stealth games and good stories.

AC fascinated me because of the story, the history (always loved history) and because of the approaches to Stealth in the beginning of the series.

That is also why I became less and less interested in the series since ACR/AC3, because the gameplay in AC3 for me was just not my taste, Stealth was not really good in AC3 and became less and less since AC2, the series went more into oversimplification of mechanics and collectible-hunts and in some games the story was not that great.
AC4 for me was the highpoint of gameplay (better than ACB, ACR or AC3, on a level with AC2 and AC1 (for their respective times of release)) but didn't have an interesting story for me, I was bored to be honest (never was interested in pirates THAT much either....) and in terms of history there was not much I was interested in (AC3 was the absolute low-point in terms of the balance of historical authenticity and story for me personally).

IN addition, Modern day became less and less since AC2 (only shortly interrupted by AC3) and less and less driven or interesting.

So yeah, the only reason I post here is that Unity kind of re-awakened the hope I have in the series because it did a lot of changes I found interesting and it has a setting that was always one of my favorite historical settings (FR).

SO I can not compare any games to my interest in AC because I love a lot of games for their unique style of gameplay and storytelling.

jdowny
06-17-2014, 06:21 PM
I think the STALKER series is surprisingly one that I like for the same reasons as AC - freedom. The world of STALKER is unpredictable, free and alive. The wildlife and human AI is based in a more randomised system, so they will constantly move around, bringing them into conflict with other species and groups. The RPG elements also allow incredible freedom of control. It has resulted in a world that feels far more alive than any other sandbox game for me.

The AC has obvious parallels with this sense of freedom, in terms of being able to traverse every wall and rooftop. And in terms of creating a world that feels lived-in and lifelike.

(Off topic) I think a blend of these two games could be outstanding. I'm thinking the Kingdom of AC1 but five times the size, with fully-fledged RPG elements in there. You could explore the valleys of Petra, the lost cities of Apamea, Jerash or Palmyra, come across enormous Crusader castles like Krak des Chevaliers or Kerak, or Muslim strongholds like Qalaat Salah al-Din. I mention AC1 because it's got one of the highest concentrations of old forts and ruins of anywhere in the world, but it could apply to any of the AC games in theory.

GunnerGalactico
06-17-2014, 09:58 PM
Apart from AC, I'm also a fan of Uncharted, Prince of Persia, God of War and Tomb Raider. They are different in terms of game mechanics and gameplay. Each game gave me a different experience and I like them for reasons... there was one to suit my mood and I simply like Action/Adventure games. :)

Megas_Doux
06-17-2014, 10:04 PM
The whole historic lore and the parkour.....

STDlyMcStudpants
06-18-2014, 05:10 AM
Assassin's Creed is hands down my favorite experience in gaming.. that being said - The ONLY game that has ever came close to giving me the feeling I get while playing AC is Skyrim :)

Ureh
06-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Games with a historical context... even if it's mixed and mashed with lots of fictional stuff. So BioShock and Fallout series.

Fallout really scares me cause it could happen and won't be nearly as cool or entertaining.

UniteUnderPower
06-19-2014, 12:42 AM
Partially the newest Tomb Raider installment because of the parkour elements

pirate1802
06-19-2014, 03:22 AM
Assassin's Creed is hands down my favorite experience in gaming.. that being said - The ONLY game that has ever came close to giving me the feeling I get while playing AC is Skyrim :)

Word.