PDA

View Full Version : Is Paris built on a 1:1 scale?!

UniteUnderPower
06-17-2014, 01:48 AM
I've been looking deeply into AC:Unity, as I am a hardcore Assassins Creed fan. One thing that seems to be continuously brought up is that Paris is built "full-scale".

For example:

DISCOVER REVOLUTIONARY PARIS, BROUGHT TO LIFE AS NEVER BEFORE: Carve through the stunning full-scale open world city, a feat only made possible through the power of an all-new game engine

http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-Unity-PlayStation-4/dp/B00J48MUS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402962095&sr=8-1&keywords=assassins+creed+unity

It also talks about it here, as well as in many other places:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/467056/assassins-creed-unitys-paris-same-size-as-historical-city/

Does this mean we are finally getting a city on a 1:1 scale? That is absolutely incredible. Paris was a huge city in the time period and now, so I am absolutely mind-blown.

Feel free to comment on this and even post some information on how big Paris was during the time of the Revolution and some maps as well! I'd love to see some new information!

EDIT: Another interesting read; http://www.examiner.com/article/ubisoft-says-paris-isn-t-only-area-players-can-visit-assassin-s-creed-unity

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 01:50 AM
No, the buildings are recreated at almost a 1:1 scale

the city isn't on a 1:1 scale

still the largest city AC has done though

UniteUnderPower
06-17-2014, 01:52 AM
No, the buildings are recreated at almost a 1:1 scale

the city isn't on a 1:1 scale

still the largest city AC has done though

Oh...the way all these sites were talking made it sound like the entire city was going to be built on a 1:1 scale of the historical Paris. That would have been amazing.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 02:06 AM
Oh...the way all these sites were talking made it sound like the entire city was going to be built on a 1:1 scale of the historical Paris. That would have been amazing.

I'm more than satisfied with 7 districts and buildings that are accurately sized with interiors.

UniteUnderPower
06-17-2014, 02:30 AM
I'm more than satisfied with 7 districts and buildings that are accurately sized with interiors.

Don't get me wrong. I'm satisfied as well. Of course I think they should make sure that the city is of a good size if they're going to do only one city. Give us tons of area to parkour across and enjoy. The catacombs have me pretty excited as well. Glad to hear that they're aiming more towards 1:1 scale though. I'm sure in a console generation or two they will finally do it and do it great.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 02:32 AM
Don't get me wrong. I'm satisfied as well. Of course I think they should make sure that the city is of a good size if they're going to do only one city. Give us tons of area to parkour across and enjoy. The catacombs have me pretty excited as well. Glad to hear that they're aiming more towards 1:1 scale though. I'm sure in a console generation or two they will finally do it and do it great.

Possibly. I imagine they'll finish this series after it's become so massive that they have to get nearly all their teams working on it at once lol.

UniteUnderPower
06-17-2014, 02:37 AM
Possibly. I imagine they'll finish this series after it's become so massive that they have to get nearly all their teams working on it at once lol.

I'm just waiting for the day that we can finally enter EVERY building seamlessly, as well as have a 1:1 scale city. A truly amazing game that would be. I'm sure it'll happen eventually if the series doesn't die by then. Lol

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 03:05 AM
I'm just waiting for the day that we can finally enter EVERY building seamlessly, as well as have a 1:1 scale city. A truly amazing game that would be. I'm sure it'll happen eventually if the series doesn't die by then. Lol

They'd need a massive amount of level designers.

UniteUnderPower
06-17-2014, 03:07 AM
They'd need a massive amount of level designers.

Ubisoft better be getting to work on that ultimate AC game then!

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 03:30 AM
Ubisoft better be getting to work on that ultimate AC game then!

If Unity is as good as I think it will be, I think I may be comfortable with that scale and scope for a while.

UniteUnderPower
06-17-2014, 03:39 AM
If Unity is as good as I think it will be, I think I may be comfortable with that scale and scope for a while.

I really don't want them to simply copy Unity in future games though. They should keep EXPANDING upon the franchise. Make the franchise even bigger and keep building it to a massive scale.

Ureh
06-17-2014, 03:42 AM
I think the size of the city is sufficient.... for now. If the square footage was 1:1 it would be too big to explore. The cities in AC4 were pretty darn small and I'm pretty there are spots on the map that I've never even step foot on yet. Not to say that they shouldn't try to do a truly 1:1 city in the future. :p

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 03:43 AM
I really don't want them to simply copy Unity in future games though. They should keep EXPANDING upon the franchise. Make the franchise even bigger and keep building it to a massive scale.

Not if it costs the quality of parts to go down though.

I'm wary here, quality is more important than expansion, especially if Unity will already be massive. We don't want them to make another AC3 where they bite off FAR more than they can chew.

UniteUnderPower
06-17-2014, 03:49 AM
I think the size of the city is sufficient.... for now. If the square footage was 1:1 it would be too big to explore. The cities in AC4 were pretty darn small and I'm pretty there are spots on the map that I've never even step foot on yet. Not to say that they shouldn't try to do a truly 1:1 city in the future. :p

I don't think it'd be TOO big, as they could add several methods of travel(I wonder if we'll be able to finally ride carriages through the city in this one?).

Not if it costs the quality of parts to go down though.

I'm wary here, quality is more important than expansion, especially if Unity will already be massive. We don't want them to make another AC3 where they bite off FAR more than they can chew.

I think AC3 was mostly due to technical limitations and not working on the hardware enough. If they have good enough hardware and fine-tune the engine, they could truly make a great game and expand the franchise in a whole new way. They just have to keep improving the engine and things will be fine. I don't want the series to turn into another CoD and add little to nothing to expand the franchise besides a quick overlay that at it's depth is the same game as the last one.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 04:03 AM
I think AC3 was mostly due to technical limitations and not working on the hardware enough. If they have good enough hardware and fine-tune the engine, they could truly make a great game and expand the franchise in a whole new way. They just have to keep improving the engine and things will be fine. I don't want the series to turn into another CoD and add little to nothing to expand the franchise besides a quick overlay that at it's depth is the same game as the last one.

It's practically been doing nothing since ACB if you ask me ;P rather than innovation it only tried to play with a few experimental ideas or throw in stuff that didn't really substantially impact game play. In AC4's case they just didn't really fix anything and decided to add some unrelated stuff to make up for it.

It's hard to give them an excuse in AC3, they fell to the problem the series had gathered on it's way toward Unity, over stuffing of features to the point where many features lost quality and they had to leave out cool immersive features or better features. If they had sat down and narrowed themselves down a bit they could have delivered a much better and more polished project that was still bigger than the AC's before it.

It's clear they got a little crazy at the end there, they wanted to put everything in when they should have simply put in less but higher quality.

AC4 had a lot of good and high quality features on the other hand but it falls short for me personally cause I was expecting more out of the mechanics. It was more of the same really with some sailing to try to break up the monotony and some admittedly cool and enjoyable extra features but much of the world was empty sea or pointless islands.

Unity is a proper fusion at last, what seems to be a set of high quality features and a reinvention of the core that isn't just more of the same, covered under piles of features to distract.

As for technical limitations, nah, tech limitations really just stopped them from creating larger crowds and cities and limited their resolution, complexity of shaders and stuff like that, they just tried to put more in than they had time to put, it should have been delayed.

STDlyMcStudpants
06-17-2014, 04:25 AM
It's close to 1:1 scale.. thats how it's possible to go itno building with no load times.. because the buildings are fully build into the world.. like a tunnel or a bridge...
They are actually in the game, rather than a sectioned off file :D
The thought of that alone blows my mind lol

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 04:45 AM
It's close to 1:1 scale.. thats how it's possible to go itno building with no load times.. because the buildings are fully build into the world.. like a tunnel or a bridge...
They are actually in the game, rather than a sectioned off file :D
The thought of that alone blows my mind lol

In the same level you mean to say. It's one massive level.

It is quite amazing, but not rendering anything unnecessary is likely a massive helper.

Ureh
06-17-2014, 04:47 AM
I don't think it'd be TOO big, as they could add several methods of travel(I wonder if we'll be able to finally ride carriages through the city in this one?)..

I wouldn't mind carriages and horseback in the countryside, super duper wide open spaces and during missions were speed is crucial (assuming they let us leave the city). But I don't really want to go down that ACB route again where they really tried to encourage us to ride horses everywhere in the city. Parkour is the main method of navigation in the city especially with the advent of controlled descent and PoP-esque wall running, so there shouldn't be something trying to steal its spotlight in the city.

If they do make a bona fide 1:1 city - which I kinda doubt - then faster methods of transportation is acceptable cause the city would be enormous. And of course there'll probably be a fast-travel system for those that want to use it. It would take several hours to travel cross a 1:1 city though, right?

UniteUnderPower
06-17-2014, 07:05 AM
I wouldn't mind carriages and horseback in the countryside, super duper wide open spaces and during missions were speed is crucial (assuming they let us leave the city). But I don't really want to go down that ACB route again where they really tried to encourage us to ride horses everywhere in the city. Parkour is the main method of navigation in the city especially with the advent of controlled descent and PoP-esque wall running, so there shouldn't be something trying to steal its spotlight in the city.

If they do make a bona fide 1:1 city - which I kinda doubt - then faster methods of transportation is acceptable cause the city would be enormous. And of course there'll probably be a fast-travel system for those that want to use it. It would take several hours to travel cross a 1:1 city though, right?

It would most likely take several hours. But think about the exploration opportunities! You would be sitting back wondering "I wonder what the other side of the city looks like?!" and an adventure across the city would follow. It would be incredible just to wonder this for the first time in an AC game and going on an adventure to find out what the world could behold as you traveled through it.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 07:39 AM
It would most likely take several hours. But think about the exploration opportunities! You would be sitting back wondering "I wonder what the other side of the city looks like?!" and an adventure across the city would follow. It would be incredible just to wonder this for the first time in an AC game and going on an adventure to find out what the world could behold as you traveled through it.

It's already bigger than AC4's map, probably bigger than Skyrim is now, have you ever tried to cross Skyrim end to end? **** takes like 2 hours or more lol.

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 07:40 AM
It's already bigger than AC4's map, probably bigger than Skyrim is now, have you ever tried to cross Skyrim end to end? **** takes like 2 hours or more lol.

I do it all the time, rarely fast travel.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 07:44 AM
I do it all the time, rarely fast travel.

I like to explore but I use fast travel to get to missions. I like to play but at the same time if I didn't fast travel I'd get nothing done and then before I knew it the day would be over lol.

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 08:00 AM
Yeah during missions and stuff I used that. But now almost all main questlines are done.. so I'm just sightseeing, installing random mods and such lol

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Yeah during missions and stuff I used that. But now almost all main questlines are done.. so I'm just sightseeing, installing random mods and such lol

Sight seeing with different ENB's and textures mods is a big reason I still play Skyrim, although my poor laptop can only run those unrefined shaders at 20 fps outdoors, I had to quit honestly until I get a better PC.

ze_topazio
06-17-2014, 05:58 PM
1:1 is pretty cool by I'm going to miss having more than one city.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 06:01 PM

If Unity will prove anything it will be that focus is a boon to the us and the devs.

I've been saying it since 4, I'd rather a smaller game with more focus for more quality. Now they haven't done smaller but they have focused more, I think that will be what made the most difference in quality in the end.

deskp
06-17-2014, 06:11 PM

Theres also versailles, wich is a decent sized village/town. Propably bigger than Havanna in ac4 for example.

Ignore the red circle

http://cultureandstuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Plan_de_Versailles_-_Gesamtplan_von_Delagrife_1746.jpg

UniteUnderPower
06-18-2014, 12:29 AM

I think an almost built to 1:1 scale city, as well as Versailles that someone mentioned will be spectacular.

Sesheenku
06-18-2014, 01:15 AM
I think an almost built to 1:1 scale city, as well as Versailles that someone mentioned will be spectacular.

Look up Versailles if you don't know what it looks like, I'm going to be chilling there often ;P

Rugterwyper32
06-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Well, I wanted to have an idea of the size of the city, and thanks to a map of Paris at the time and a few gifs from the panoramic views of Paris in-game, that gives me more or less the idea of how huge it is. So first, the map:

http://mapas.owje.com/img/Plano-de-Paris-Francia-1789-11106.jpg

Now, with that in mind and knowing we also have Versailles, let's get the idea as to how big Paris itself is, using the gifs by Tumblr user j-dawggameblog as reference. The first one is a view from above Luxembourg Palace, from south-southwest to north-northeast:

https://31.media.tumblr.com/c47c1efdb992b4902934ce36b1b0eb52/tumblr_n7c2m4uoko1twfxaxo1_500.gif

We see Notre-Dame in the distance, as well the the Palais de Justice and what seems to me like Sainte-Chapelle, We can't see much further north than that, but give me some time here, I'll get back to the map soon. For now, let's look at the other gif:

https://31.media.tumblr.com/461cdb826b2f2747310035d4ae1fa2bf/tumblr_n7c2m4uoko1twfxaxo2_500.gif

That's close to Pont St. Michel, and we have a pretty good view of the Ile de la Cite region. Now, for orientation here, thanks to Wikipedia, I also have this more up-close image of a Paris map from 1609 focusing on Ile de la Cite, and I went on Paint and made a small red circle in the area where we'd be seeing this image from, with the red lines showing more or less what we're seeing. A crappy job with paint but hey, this isn't my area of expertise and this is pretty crude so hey:

https://31.media.tumblr.com/08de2db5e35b320f187d72d9c128282b/tumblr_n7dq3oewJA1qevpjfo1_500.jpg

So yes, we have yet to see a LOT of the city. I hope that this little analysis of mine (that's far from the best but it's still an attempt) really gives an idea as to the sense of scale of Paris in this game. I'm not sure if it's 1:1 or not, but it's definitely a beast in terms of size.

Sushiglutton
06-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Very cool post Rugter :)! The scale of the new game is def a very exciting feature and one that was very noticeable in the demos. The thing I'm looking forward to the most in AC:U is just to explore the city. Scale, interiors, no rooftop guards etc. Gonna be awesome!

Shahkulu101
06-18-2014, 08:48 PM
I love how Paris is going to be full of stimuli and dynamic events for us to come across ourselves, the last four AC games I've been guilty of just following a checklist and staring at a mini-map. This game looks to really promote discovery and total exploration in the biggest, most immersive map yet.

deskp
06-18-2014, 08:49 PM
I am extremely interested to know if versailles is conencted to paris. so far it does not look like it in the game.

but theres only like 17 kilometers from the Notre Dame to the palace of Versailles (in real life). Thats not a whole lot! and they could easily make a smaller 'patch' of area inbtween paris and versailles To make it seamless and let us really travel btween the 2 areas. Also abit of green area to relax in wouldnt hurt.

Give us horses and carriges(?) that we can ride inbtween, a maybe a tavern or something in the middle for a reststop = )

They are really talking up the UNITY and seamlessness of everything in the game. but so far theyve given no sign that versailles is part of the same map, wich is a shame. In games like gta and skyrim, it can be a pleasure traveling from one spot to the next.

Ureh
06-18-2014, 08:49 PM

Me too. But if the buildings, streets, people and overall atmosphere react and change over time and due to Arno's actions than it'll be almost like two cities in one.

Rugterwyper32
06-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Thanks! I definitely am looking forward to exploring it, too. That's usually been one of my favorite parts of the series since the beginning, and it definitely will be even better now with a huge city and lots of interiors. It's gonna be quite something.

Sushiglutton
06-18-2014, 08:54 PM
I love how Paris is going to be full of stimuli and dynamic events for us to come across ourselves, the last four AC games I've been guilty of just following a checklist and staring at a mini-map. This game looks to really promote discovery and total exploration in the biggest, most immersive map yet.

Noone would be happier than I if Ubi tried to move away from the teidous checklist design of their most recent open-world games. Unfortunately I doubt they will. This is actually the main reason I never bought WatchDogs. Watched some gameplay of it and when I saw how many icons there was on the map I just felt sick to my stomach lol.

Aphex_Tim
06-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Well, I wanted to have an idea of the size of the city, and thanks to a map of Paris at the time and a few gifs from the panoramic views of Paris in-game, that gives me more or less the idea of how huge it is. So first, the map:

http://mapas.owje.com/img/Plano-de-Paris-Francia-1789-11106.jpg

Now, with that in mind and knowing we also have Versailles, let's get the idea as to how big Paris itself is, using the gifs by Tumblr user j-dawggameblog as reference. The first one is a view from above Luxembourg Palace, from south-southwest to north-northeast:

https://31.media.tumblr.com/c47c1efdb992b4902934ce36b1b0eb52/tumblr_n7c2m4uoko1twfxaxo1_500.gif

We see Notre-Dame in the distance, as well the the Palais de Justice and what seems to me like Sainte-Chapelle, We can't see much further north than that, but give me some time here, I'll get back to the map soon. For now, let's look at the other gif:

https://31.media.tumblr.com/461cdb826b2f2747310035d4ae1fa2bf/tumblr_n7c2m4uoko1twfxaxo2_500.gif

That's close to Pont St. Michel, and we have a pretty good view of the Ile de la Cite region. Now, for orientation here, thanks to Wikipedia, I also have this more up-close image of a Paris map from 1609 focusing on Ile de la Cite, and I went on Paint and made a small red circle in the area where we'd be seeing this image from, with the red lines showing more or less what we're seeing. A crappy job with paint but hey, this isn't my area of expertise and this is pretty crude so hey:

https://31.media.tumblr.com/08de2db5e35b320f187d72d9c128282b/tumblr_n7dq3oewJA1qevpjfo1_500.jpg

So yes, we have yet to see a LOT of the city. I hope that this little analysis of mine (that's far from the best but it's still an attempt) really gives an idea as to the sense of scale of Paris in this game. I'm not sure if it's 1:1 or not, but it's definitely a beast in terms of size.

Cool post indeed. But I'll never understand why pictures like these need to be gifs...

Rugterwyper32
06-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Cool post indeed. But I'll never understand why pictures like these need to be gifs...

I don't either. But hey, those were the best images I could get of this at the time so whatever works, I suppose.

Shahkulu101
06-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Noone would be happier than I if Ubi tried to move away from the teidous checklist design of their most recent open-world games. Unfortunately I doubt they will. This is actually the main reason I never bought WatchDogs. Watched some gameplay of it and when I saw how many icons there was on the map I just felt sick to my stomach lol.

They're still pretty fun though, apart from the driving ones. I think W_D is guilty of that for sure, but the cool thing is that the icons only appear if you've profiled people or you're near the vicinity of a side mission. I don't think you'd regret buying Watch_Dogs. The stealth and hacking is awesome when you play right, unlike the reviewers who falsely claim the game leans towards guns blazing. Pretty much every mission is open-ended. I counted about 4 where shooting was mandatory and forced.

Get it, Sushi it's still fun.

Sushiglutton
06-18-2014, 09:11 PM
They're still pretty fun though, apart from the driving ones. I think W_D is guilty of that for sure, but the cool thing is that the icons only appear if you've profiled people or you're near the vicinity of a side mission. I don't think you'd regret buying Watch_Dogs. The stealth and hacking is awesome when you play right, unlike the reviewers who falsely claim the game leans towards guns blazing. Pretty much every mission is open-ended. I counted about 4 where shooting was mandatory and forced.

We'll see :). Right now I'm enjoying Blacklist (when I feel awake) and Shadow Warrior (when I feel too tired to have the patience for stealth). Maybe I'll pick up WD for the righht price ;)

Shahkulu101
06-18-2014, 09:15 PM
We'll see :). Right now I'm enjoying Blacklist (when I feel awake) and Shadow Warrior (when I feel too tired to have the patience for stealth). Maybe I'll pick up WD for the righht price ;)

Yeah best to wait for a price drop for it, not a must have title by any means despite it's enjoyable aspects.

Megas_Doux
06-18-2014, 09:29 PM

Thing is that the SP demo and most of what you see in the distance during the aerial takes is either the ile de la cite little island in the middle of the river and a couple of blocks away from it.....
Therefore, Paris might be really HUGE.

And very good info from Rugter, as always.

deskp
06-18-2014, 09:30 PM
Noone would be happier than I if Ubi tried to move away from the teidous checklist design of their most recent open-world games.

They just gotta leave the senseless stuff out of the 100% /achievment systems. collecting tonnes of chest is boring as an activity. But coming across a chest every now and then just cause can be a nice thing to happen.

And they should give u a reward for every instance you do, instead of waiting till you have done them all to reward you. That way you can walk away feeling happy after doing a couple instances, rather than feeling you have to do 30 more in order get anything for your effort.

egriffin09
06-18-2014, 09:47 PM
for what it's worth, Paris is 3x the size of all of AC4's dry land mass. interview @ 1:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92sE29g285Y

Aphex_Tim
06-18-2014, 09:50 PM
for what it's worth, Paris is 3x the size of all of AC4's dry land mass.

....not really sure how much that is though... :p

Jexx21
06-18-2014, 09:54 PM

Technically the game discourages it because Aiden only really uses a pistol (non-silenced as well :P) in cutscenes.

It would have been best if they only allowed you to carry a pistol but allowed you to pick up other guns and use them.

deskp
06-18-2014, 09:59 PM
....not really sure how much that is though... :p

Yeah, the cities were really small in ac4, and all the island were small aswell, so i have no concept if all of black flag was larger or smaller than all of AC3 for example.

egriffin09
06-18-2014, 10:41 PM
I would say that AC4's dry land mass (cities and islands, not Caribbean sea) is size of the frontier of AC3 or a little larger, if I had to guess. So Paris is 3x size of frontier, or bigger.

SixKeys
06-18-2014, 10:43 PM
Yeah, the cities were really small in ac4, and all the island were small aswell, so i have no concept if all of black flag was larger or smaller than all of AC3 for example.

Kingston was pretty big, Nassau was decent. If I had to guess scales, I'd say Havana was about the size of Florence and the other two were slightly bigger.

egriffin09
06-18-2014, 10:44 PM

Yeah the AC4 cities were small, but you have to think if all 3 cities in AC 4 were combined and even though the islands were small, think if all those locations were combined into one location. I would say that's pretty big. Then multiply that 3 times, that's pretty big I would say for 1 city.

MasterAssasin84
06-18-2014, 10:46 PM

As Jexx pointed its the buildings and Architecture that have been made 1.1 scale to look grand to capture the Parisian beauty !

I actually refuse to listen to these sites now as the seem to distort every piece of information that surfaces.

ze_topazio
06-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Theres also versailles, wich is a decent sized village/town. Propably bigger than Havanna in ac4 for example.

Ignore the red circle

http://cultureandstuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Plan_de_Versailles_-_Gesamtplan_von_Delagrife_1746.jpg

I know about Versailles, but it's not that large a city.

Rugterwyper32
06-19-2014, 12:09 AM
Versailles will be good if it has music even remotely as good as the Versailles stage from Castlevania Bloodlines:

http://youtu.be/uPGZJhxI4xE

Megas_Doux
06-19-2014, 12:12 AM
So MANY memories....................