PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Hasting's message to you!

king-hailz
06-16-2014, 10:17 PM
"A Message from Shaun

At 6:18pm, after hacking the Initiates site, Shaun left a message for the group.

My name is Shaun Hastings. I know you're out there, watching us.
Bravo, but that's really all you do, isn't it? Watch. Don't you think
it's time to do more?

You've proven your potential. Why not dedicate it to a true cause?
With you on our side, we can hope to rebuild the Brotherhood.
Otherwise, the Assassins will die, along with our ideals. The
Templars will win, and the world will lose.

Big challenges are ahead of us. United, we stand a better chance
of tipping the scales. Then, the Initiates network will return
stronger, in one form or another, to mark the beginning of your training.

Stay alert, Initiates."

What do you think of this? I really dont like this idea of 'us' as the protagonist... they tried to make it sound cool but i want a character they give us... i really thought Eve's story would have been amazing.... i mean Galina is much cooler than me and im sure a lot of you... its bad gameplay wise and in many other ways....

However so far we can see that we will be with the initiates training... we are just another recruit... they are building up the brotherhood... through the initiates and we are one of the new recruits... it will be like revelations multiplayer... we are training with other assassin's (who are you lot) and will just build up the brotherhood!

Its extremely off putting that we dont have a voice... hopefully when the brotherhood is strong we will once again play as someone important... however i doubt it.. i guess the next 7 games will be like this... and we will just be building the brotherhood for 7 years until the new generations of consoles when they change everything once again!

I am so pissed!

Ureh
06-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Not sure if all the Initiates will reach a consensus to help the Assassins. Some of them might be very adamant about staying neutral in which case it'll split the Initiates and maybe start another shadow war.

Yeah I don't like the sound of playing myself either. Will Shaun's training burn off my fat pack? or will I be a chubby person with Eagle vision and limited parkour skills? Gotta wait and see what they have for us, maybe I'll like it! :)

pacmanate
06-16-2014, 10:45 PM
Wait, so are we Erudito? I AM SO CONFUSED.

I have no been watching anything D:

Jexx21
06-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Initiates isn't Erudito.

This looks great, interesting how this is going to work.

I'm guessing that maybe we'll create our own character in Unity modern day, if we're going to actually be trained.

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Hey op wth! I'm awesome okay?

Awesome.

You wish you could play as me 8U.

pacmanate
06-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Initiates isn't Erudito.

This looks great, interesting how this is going to work.

I'm guessing that maybe we'll create our own character in Unity modern day, if we're going to actually be trained.

So why does Shaun say he knows we were watching, who are the Initiates? And I thought we were playing as us in AC4. We werent an initiate in AC4, we had no idea about templars and assassins.

Layytez
06-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Looks like I was right. AC Unity will be our training and education of what it truly means to be an Assassin.

Ureh
06-16-2014, 11:20 PM
@pacmanate In AC4 we played as an Abstergo Entertainment employee. But in Loomer's interview, Amancio says we'll be playing as someone else entirely different, we'll be playing as ourselves. So you'll be pac and I'll be me, etc.

The Initiates used to be a secret organization (until Rebecca and William uncovered them) that opts to remain neutral despite being aware of the Assassin/Templar conflict. Some of them seem to think that information is a right that belongs to all humans (but they seem to contradict this because their club is not inclusive, they just hoard all the info they have). They use a separate satellite network, called "Outernet" that can transmit and received data anywhere in the world without being detected. The Initiates are comprised of people from all backgrounds (revolutionaries, billionaries, scientists, eccentrics, soldiers, etc). Their leadership remains anonymous but it's believed that there are four individuals.

steveeire
06-16-2014, 11:21 PM
Wait, so are we Erudito? I AM SO CONFUSED.

I have no been watching anything D:

Is Tobi Obito? is Obita Madara?

pacmanate
06-16-2014, 11:24 PM
@pacmanate In AC4 we played as an Abstergo Entertainment employee. But in Loomer's interview, Amancio says we'll be playing as someone else entirely different, we'll be playing as ourselves. So you'll be pac and I'll be me, etc.

The Initiates used to be a secret organization (until Rebecca and William uncovered them) that opts to remain neutral despite being aware of the Assassin/Templar conflict. Some of them seem to think that information is a right that belongs to all humans (but they seem to contradict this because their club is not inclusive, they just hoard all the info they have). They use a separate satellite network, called "Outernet" that can transmit and received data anywhere in the world without being detected. The Initiates are comprised of people from all backgrounds (revolutionaries, billionaries, scientists, eccentrics, soldiers, etc). Their leadership remains anonymous but it's believed that there are four individuals.

So we werent playing as ourselves in AC4, it was a lie, and NOW we are playing as ourselves, we are an initiate.

So now we have, Templars, Assassins, Erudito and Initiates.

Wow.

I cant help but think too many factions. Mostly because Erudito has no actually story time so far! Why throw in the Initiates :\

Layytez
06-16-2014, 11:30 PM
This is a lot better modern day progression.

Dome500
06-16-2014, 11:51 PM
I hope this doesn't turn out to be lame.

If I am playing "me" then I want CHOICES, ABILITIES (parkour), THINGS TO DO, INTERACTIONS (in MD) and LOCATIONS, not a boring room where I can enter the animus or an isolated small Assassin hideout with nothing to see.

I want a real game, things to do, places to see and decisions to make if I do have to be "me" in that MD story. I mean seriously, how else is there ANY story-progression for MD if our "character" is just "us". No voice, close to no interaction (except hacking) and no abilities/interactions? NO thank you. The way they are talking they need to come up with one hell of an experience if they want to impress me with that and want to avoid that I die of boredom....

Sesheenku
06-16-2014, 11:52 PM
I hope this doesn't turn out to be late.

If I am playing "me" then I want CHOICES, ABILITIES (parkour), THINGS TO DO, INTERACTIONS (in MD) and LOCATIONS, not a boring room where I can enter the animus or an isolated small Assassin hideout with nothing to see.

I want a real game, things to do, places to see and decisions to make if I do have to be "me" in that MD story. I mean seriously, how else is there ANY story-progression for MD if our "character" is just "us". No voice, close to no interaction (except hacking) and no abilities/interactions? NO thank you. The way they are talking they need to come up with one hell of an experience if they want to impress me with that and want to avoid that I die of boredom....

You'll make Shaun a sandwich and like it.

Shahkulu101
06-16-2014, 11:55 PM
I think they're going to do something really annoying and have us to do tasks in the real world on the Initiates website. Sort of like Infamous Paper Trail, where you have to log on to the paper trail website on your computer at home to complete puzzles and detective work in order to find suspects and advance the DLC storyline. I suspect it would be optional, of course.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-17-2014, 12:10 AM
I think they're going to do something really annoying and have us to do tasks in the real world on the Initiates website. Sort of like Infamous Paper Trail, where you have to log on to the paper trail website on your computer at home to complete puzzles and detective work in order to find suspects and advance the DLC storyline. I suspect it would be optional, of course.

I would be very indifferent about that because it depends on what exactly they have us do. :nonchalance:

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 12:14 AM
I would be very indifferent about that because it depends on what exactly they have us do. :nonchalance:

Shaun's online shopping - don't forget the yogurts!

I was thinking along the lines of puzzle solving and hacking mini games again. Stuff like that.

pacmanate
06-17-2014, 12:17 AM

OOO!!! I LOVED infamous paper trail! Best thing I've ever done in a DLC, was so fun

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 12:19 AM
OOO!!! I LOVED infamous paper trail! Best thing I've ever done in a DLC, was so fun

Hated it cause I'm terrible at problem solving...

My mind just locks up.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Shaun's online shopping - don't forget the yogurts!

I was thinking along the lines of puzzle solving and hacking mini games again. Stuff like that.

Lol yogurts, and not to mention the tea...

Puzzles and mini games? Hmm... They should already have that in-game... and I'm not that good at puzzles, especially hard Tomb Raider style ones X_X

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 12:27 AM
Lol yogurts, and not to mention the tea...

Puzzles and mini games? Hmm... They should already have that in-game... and I'm not that good at puzzles, especially hard Tomb Raider style ones X_X

Yeah but this modern day it is literally YOU. We suspect that means we'll be in our houses, playing on our Helix's (consoles) and that the storyline will be told to like that. As if we are part of the AC universe.

Now instead of no modern day activities, we could be asked by Shaun to log onto initiates to complete tasks and the like. Just a hunch.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-17-2014, 12:29 AM
Yeah but this modern day it is literally YOU. We suspect that means we'll be in our houses, playing on our Helix's (consoles) and that the storyline will be told to like that. As if we are part of the AC universe.

Now instead of no modern day activities, we could be asked by Shaun to log onto initiates to complete tasks and the like. Just a hunch.

Well, it will without a doubt pique my curiosity so we'll see where it leads us... and I assume that we probably have to be online for the tasks to count.

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 12:31 AM
Well, it will without a doubt pique my curiosity so we'll see where it leads us... and I assume that we probably have to be online for the tasks to count.

If I've called it I'm totally gonna brag... ;)

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 12:33 AM
If I've called it I'm totally gonna brag... ;)

Everyone will be too busy enjoying Unity to be here for dat bragging ;P

UniteUnderPower
06-17-2014, 12:37 AM
Hmm...interesting. I'm curious if we'll actually be able to customize/name our own 3rd-person character in this one. That would be AMAZING. Please make it happen Ubisoft!!! Everyone would love it!

steveeire
06-17-2014, 01:07 AM

http://i62.tinypic.com/23s7zpx.jpg

JustPlainQuirky
06-17-2014, 01:10 AM
No way they'd go the paper trail route. I'm not taking out my laptop and doing research like some office employee, yo.

And I have no idea how they're going to do the modern day now. But I am intrigued.

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 01:15 AM
No way they'd go the paper trail route. I'm not taking out my laptop and doing research like some office employee, yo.

And I have no idea how they're going to do the modern day now. But I am intrigued.

I think it would be a cool way to justify the us-sitting-at-home thing. I mean what else could we possibly do of we're just supposed to be in our houses playing Helix? No content whatsoever maybe...

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 01:15 AM
I think that since the Initiates are supposed to be trained and we are the Initiates, that we'll be creating our own character in the game and that we'll hopefully have abilities and such and that it'll be an actual campaign, but that might be me being hopeful.

JustPlainQuirky
06-17-2014, 01:18 AM
Being able to customize our own character would be cool.

I could finally play as Shrek!

@shah

It's just silly to me to be playing a videogame then put down the controller to open my laptop to achieve something in said videogame.

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 01:20 AM
I think it would be a cool way to justify the us-sitting-at-home thing. I mean what else could we possibly do of we're just supposed to be in our houses playing Helix? No content whatsoever maybe...
E-mails, videos, etc.

Essentially the AC1 modern day story without the boring Vidic speeches and the 3rd person.

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 01:21 AM
@shah

It's just silly to me to be playing a videogame then put down the controller to open my laptop to achieve something in said videogame.

But think about it, our PS4's are our Helix's and the HUB is our actual house! So the out of animus sections would just be like getting pulled out of the animus, but more authentic!

The modern day...is OUR present day. I think it's cool.

Jexx:

Yeah but where will we be doing all this stuff? A random house that's supposed to be ours? How about our actual house, meaning we can access emails, videos through initiates on our computer and then back we go into our animus. Ultimate immersion.

I-Like-Pie45
06-17-2014, 01:22 AM
Meow finds that very meta

JustPlainQuirky
06-17-2014, 01:22 AM
But think about it, our PS4's are our Helix's and the HUB is our actual house! So the out of animus sections would just be like getting pulled out of the animus, but more authentic!

I will never get into that mentality. I always distance myself from my game to some degree. I'm in a house playing Assassin's Creed by Ubisoft.

Pretending I'm in the Helix is just silly to me. I am not the protagonist. I will never be the protagonist. But to each their own I suppose.

steveeire
06-17-2014, 01:24 AM
I'm with Mayrice on this.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 01:26 AM
I will never get into that mentality. I always distance myself from my game to some degree. I'm in a house playing Assassin's Creed by Ubisoft.

Pretending I'm in the Helix is just silly to me. I am not the protagonist. I will never be the protagonist. But to each their own I suppose.

I really get into movies and games BUT.... the sci-fi **** just doesn't do it for me. It just seems half-baked.

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 01:27 AM

Jexx:

Yeah but where will we be doing all this stuff? A random house that's supposed to be ours? How about our actual house, meaning we can access emails, videos through initiates on our computer and then back we go into our animus. Ultimate immersion.

I meant access it via the helix console.

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 01:28 AM
Well if they are going with the YOU are the protagonist I think they should still find ways to immerse you and make you feel an actual part of the plot.

Just a suggestion to improve that.

Jexx:

If we never leave the Helix that would be lame.

JustPlainQuirky
06-17-2014, 01:28 AM
I think the only way I could ever REALLY feel like I was in the game is if Virtual Reality was implimented into the modern day 1st person portions.

But that would be a waste of time and resources to impliment VR for modern day. and 3rd person VR with the ancestors would just be awkward.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 01:32 AM
I think the only way I could ever REALLY feel like I was in the game is if Virtual Reality was implimented into the modern day 1st person portions.

But that would be a waste of time and resources to impliment VR for modern day. and 3rd person VR with the ancestors would just be awkward.

Meh VR.. You wanna immerse me? Make a 360 degree tv screen ;P That'd be sweet. Keep camera controls but hey if you don't want camera controls, just look where you want to look.

Swivel chair included.

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 01:34 AM
It's either that We're always in the helix console and we get updates through e-mail and videos and hacking puzzles and such, or that we create our own character.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind either just as long as it's interesting. I actually really loved Black Flag's modern day, I personally thought that AC3 and AC4 had the best modern day of the series, followed by Brotherhood. AC2 and AC1 are tied and ACR had the worst (although I still thought it was fairly interesting).

JustPlainQuirky
06-17-2014, 01:36 AM
I hope it's create a character but I doubt that'll happen.

I would love to dress my character as a modern assassin, hoodie and all.

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 01:39 AM
If we're always in the Helix, what about the bleeding effect? I don't know if that's irrelevant now I haven't been paying attention.

I still think being the animus should have adverse affects as a result of prolonged use anyway.

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 01:43 AM
Abstergo removed bleeding effect from the console because that would be a health risk scandal.

Or: the helix is actually an Initiate/Assassin Animus given to us to train us into Assassins.

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 01:47 AM
Still want them to go ultra meta

Kirokill
06-17-2014, 01:52 AM
So we were a flying camera with a tablet, now we're floating eyes. We should have parkour abilities similar to Mirror Edge.
I don't like the modern day, never did, but it was better with Desmond and a living plot.

JustPlainQuirky
06-17-2014, 01:56 AM
So we were a flying camera with a tablet, now we're floating eyes. We should have parkour abilities similar to Mirror Edge.
I don't like the modern day, never did, but it was better with Desmond and a living plot.

I was originally against the mirror's edge idea.

but I would prefer some form of control over nothing. I'd like to be able to do more than walk around and interact with objects.

though parkour would require arms and legs...

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 01:59 AM
You can't be you in a game. Doesn't work.

But if you have tasks and activities outside the game that correlate with the gaming experience at hand, then it works.

At least it will, when Ubisoft do it!

Ultra meta ftw

wvstolzing
06-17-2014, 02:08 AM
So, Animus V5.0 is a web applet now?

Or is it flash, perhaps?

What's going on?

I-Like-Pie45
06-17-2014, 02:09 AM
They had made us into a video game.

We were members of a nearly extinct secret organization called the Assassins, who in 2012 managed to defeat the nefarious spirit Juno and the Templar-front Abstergo. As a means of rubbing our victories into their faces, we coerced the French company Ubisoft to make our story into a video game. However, none of us had anticipated the success that our game would become, and so liberties were taken.

For example, Desmond did not die at the end of the story you knew as Assassin's Creed 3. He was able to find a way to successfully prevent the solar flare and seal off Juno in the nick of time. However, because we found that we enjoyed the money we made from these games, we decided to keep going and the only way to do this was to off Desmond. As such, when the credits rolled, Desmond looked to us with tears in his eyes and said... "My God, Shaun. They killed me... they killed me..." I tried to tell Desmond that he was very much alive but the shock of seeing his own avatar - although falsely voiced by Nolan North, when Desmond himself sounded more like Hollywood actor Jim Carrey - die off sent him off into a downward spiral. But this didn't matter much, we continued making the games - a completely falsified document in both historical and present-day story telling known as Assassin's Creed 4 was the first.

Unity is our latest. Where we hope the reconcile the fiction we have made with the reality that is.

Sincerely,
Shaun Hastings

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 02:11 AM
So, Animus V5.0 is a web applet now?

Or is it flash, perhaps?

What's going on?

No that's just one of my ideas; your console is the animus and you leave the animus to enter your HUB which is your literal house and log on to initiates to do tasks assigned by Shaun or whatever.

JustPlainQuirky
06-17-2014, 02:13 AM
No that's just one of my ideas; your console is the animus and you leave the animus to enter your HUB which is your literal house and log on to initiates to do tasks assigned by Shaun or whatever.

That would be laaaaaaaaaaaaame.

I want to interact with modern day characters. Q-Q

I want to fight JUNO TT-TT

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-17-2014, 02:15 AM

Thank you! Bring it on already!!

I'm really curious to see how she can be defeated too.

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 02:18 AM

I think it's the best way of literally being 'you'.

I'm not me if I'm watching 'me' do stuff on a screen. But I can be 'me' in the animus (our consoles that show a spectators perspective) and can still feel like 'me' when I'm doing tasks in my HUB (the real world).

If I'm beating the **** out of Juno in a boxing match, that's not me. That's a game showing me doing weird **** that I'm currently not doing.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 02:19 AM

I think that's kinda cool.

Inb4 with ACU you get a scanning device

Task from Shaun -> Scan the mother ****ing yogurt, it's a lie, all the numbers are Templar conspiracies!

Ureh
06-17-2014, 04:24 AM
Hopefully we see at least Juno inside the animus (while we're exploring Paris) actually talking to us. Not a recording in a memory (ie: Minerva in AC2) but speaking to us and maybe even harassing us (ie corrupting memories and frying the animus' gpu). She can do that right? Since she's all digital and can slip into almost any technology.

king-hailz
06-17-2014, 06:27 AM
So I think we can agree that what is happening is that our consoles and PC's are the helix console... something that the initiates have sent us to train... and become part of the brotherhood.

However in the game there will be no gameplay involved for the modern day technically... we will always be in the helix and never interrupted... we will just get updates inside the database like emails from the initiates and maybe seeing juno give another prophecy or something...

Its just a 'smart' way for ubisoft to get rid of the modern day sections that a lot of newcomers dont like...

Well ubisoft is just greedy for more and more sales... you have sold nearly 80 million copies of this game and you still want more... and the only way to get more is by f*cking over your original fans... well thanks ubisoft... :mad:

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 06:32 AM
So I think we can agree that what is happening is that our consoles and PC's are the helix console... something that the initiates have sent us to train... and become part of the brotherhood.

However in the game there will be no gameplay involved for the modern day technically... we will always be in the helix and never interrupted... we will just get updates inside the database like emails from the initiates and maybe seeing juno give another prophecy or something...

Its just a 'smart' way for ubisoft to get rid of the modern day sections that a lot of newcomers dont like...

Well ubisoft is just greedy for more and more sales... you have sold nearly 80 million copies of this game and you still want more... and the only way to get more is by f*cking over your original fans... well thanks ubisoft... :mad:

sounds good to me. Training means that we'll have to actually have modern day game sequences eventually where we get to do stuff.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 06:33 AM

As one of those original fans I never cared for the modern day so yeah no, it's not for newcomers. Plenty of original fans have been lamenting it for ages, it's poorly written and the game play is worse, and the setting is dull.

king-hailz
06-17-2014, 06:46 AM
sounds good to me. Training means that we'll have to actually have modern day game sequences eventually where we get to do stuff.

I dont think so, it will be training like we did in assassin's creed revelations multiplayer... we are not actually physically training... we are training while in the animus...

As one of those original fans I never cared for the modern day so yeah no, it's not for newcomers. Plenty of original fans have been lamenting it for ages, it's poorly written and the game play is worse, and the setting is dull.

Well then ubisoft gave up too quickly... they cpuld have spent some time to make it better but no.... they just got rid of it...

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 06:51 AM
Well then ubisoft gave up too quickly... they cpuld have spent some time to make it better but no.... they just got rid of it...

The only person who's given up too quickly is you, it's mentioned and present so there's still hope. So calm your tits.

steveeire
06-17-2014, 06:54 AM
hmm tits

*goes to porhub.

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 06:55 AM
I think it will be cool

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 06:57 AM
I dont think so, it will be training like we did in assassin's creed revelations multiplayer... we are not actually physically training... we are training while in the animus...
No, I mean, if we're using the Animus to train, we're training for something, which we will eventually have to go out and do. This is my point.

pirate1802
06-17-2014, 07:02 AM
calm your tits.

I always have a vivid imagery of giant tits raging about amidst storms and then spontaneously calming themselves when someone comes before them and utters this spell.

hmm tits

*goes to porhub.

And this too.

king-hailz
06-17-2014, 07:05 AM
I always have a vivid imagery of giant tits raging about amidst storms and then spontaneously calming themselves when someone comes before them and utters this spell.

And this too.

Lol

The only person who's given up too quickly is you, it's mentioned and present so there's still hope. So calm your tits.

I guess your right.... i did get into a bit of a rage there....... ill just wait.... dont worry my tits are calm.....

steveeire
06-17-2014, 07:09 AM

This reminds me of that Woody Allen film with the giant boob.

wvstolzing
06-17-2014, 07:13 AM
This reminds me of that Woody Allen film with the giant boob.

I'll take this post as sufficient evidence that the E3 news have run out of juice at this point. :p

steveeire
06-17-2014, 07:17 AM
the relevance of boobs never stops, not even for E3.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 07:30 AM
hmm tits

*goes to porhub.

A good choice sir.

I guess your right.... i did get into a bit of a rage there....... ill just wait.... dont worry my tits are calm.....

Alright good. Don't sweat it, if they **** up the forum will be complaining the day of release and for the foreseeable future which means they won't make another mistake.

Farlander1991
06-17-2014, 07:37 AM
If we're playing as ourselves in a sense that we bought an Abstergo product and ACU is that product, I doubt there'd be a 'house that's supposed to be ours' or smth. I think in such scenario interaction with an outer world will be through surveillance cams and whatnot.

deskp
06-17-2014, 09:03 AM
you are litteraly urself sitting ifnront of you pc or game console, the non historic part will be an interface with puzzles atc. the entire thing can also be done on a tablet.

Kagurra
06-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Yeah... what I think is really stupid (or I just don't understand it) is why would Abstergo Industries (which has Templar all over it) release media content showing Assassin activities and ideals, and revealing that there are still Templars throughout history who are doing quite bad things?

Is the reasoning behind it "Since it's a video game they won't believe it's real, and if somebody says it is they will think they're just crazy. It's just a video game, right?" Seems a bit risky to put all that information out there.

Seems like they could've gone a different route with all this. Also, Shaun is coo. I don't get why people don't like him.

HiddenKiller612
06-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Yeah... what I think is really stupid (or I just don't understand it) is why would Abstergo Industries (which has Templar all over it) release media content showing Assassin activities and ideals, and revealing that there are still Templars throughout history who are doing quite bad things?

Is the reasoning behind it "Since it's a video game they won't believe it's real, and if somebody says it is they will think they're just crazy. It's just a video game, right?" Seems a bit risky to put all that information out there.

Seems like they could've gone a different route with all this. Also, Shaun is coo. I don't get why people don't like him.

Hide in plain sight. Most people would just write off most of it as a work of fiction, or tampering with history... Like most "based on true events" type movies and media... They all tend to spin a story a little different that what actually happened...

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 01:51 PM
If we're playing as ourselves in a sense that we bought an Abstergo product and ACU is that product, I doubt there'd be a 'house that's supposed to be ours' or smth. I think in such scenario interaction with an outer world will be through surveillance cams and whatnot.

sounds like Watch Dogs.

Anyway, Abstergo modifies the memories to favor the Templars over the Assassins even though the two stories that they sold (Liberation and Pirates of Nightmares) are played from the perspective of an Assassin.

rprkjj
06-17-2014, 02:52 PM
I honestly just want another modern-day protag, a la Desmond.

Dome500
06-17-2014, 06:19 PM

Because they wasted potential

I mean come on, AC1 MD is part of what got me interested in AC.
And it was a great START.

I thought with AC2 there would come a lot of stuff in MD but they just dragged it on, made more games, ignored MD for the most part, had a lot of cliffhangers and then when they didn't know how to conclude the story they just went with an anticlimactic ending.

What I would love is either custom character + parkour moves + real interactions and locations and story you can INFLUENCE in MD - or to have Desmond-like sequences of 2 - 3 games starring 1 MD protagonist with a unique story.

I really don't know what I should expect from MD anymore and if they seriously want to keep it they should SHOW us how MD will be before the release and create something serious and interesting. If they don't want to keep it they should just g*ddamn say so and be done with it.

Hans684
06-17-2014, 06:28 PM
The solution to our problems is a AC in MD only, with that it can take care of every problem from flying tablets to story. But I guess AC can't do that since it's history only, what a wasted potential.

JustPlainQuirky
06-17-2014, 06:38 PM
The solution to our problems is a AC in MD only, with that it can take care of every problem from flying tablets to story. But I guess AC can't do that since it's history only, what a wasted potential.

This. And it would probably feel similar to watch dogs.

Unless Ubi really revamp the modern day.

Hans684
06-17-2014, 06:51 PM
This. And it would probably feel similar to watch dogs.

Unless Ubi really revamp the modern day.

Indeed but they have their differences.

It would be a good idea to revamp the MD like they are doing with the historical part of [I]Unity[/I, if not it might feel to much like W_D.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 07:43 PM
Because they wasted potential

I mean come on, AC1 MD is part of what got me interested in AC.
And it was a great START.

I thought with AC2 there would come a lot of stuff in MD but they just dragged it on, made more games, ignored MD for the most part, had a lot of cliffhangers and then when they didn't know how to conclude the story they just went with an anticlimactic ending.

What I would love is either custom character + parkour moves + real interactions and locations and story you can INFLUENCE in MD - or to have Desmond-like sequences of 2 - 3 games starring 1 MD protagonist with a unique story.

I really don't know what I should expect from MD anymore and if they seriously want to keep it they should SHOW us how MD will be before the release and create something serious and interesting. If they don't want to keep it they should just g*ddamn say so and be done with it.

The MD didn't entice me in 1, I bought AC1 to hop around the holy land and stab people with hidden wrist blades. Didn't care or expect some half-assed, cheesy, stereotypical and unnecessary sci-fi plot.

If you're going to do sci-fi do sci-fi, don't mix it with another setting that's unique and untouched. It just doesn't match up and it never will.

The only time I found it acceptable was in AC3 where you actually did stuff and even then the environment was dull and drab.

There's so many better sci-fi games out there with more unique ideas and more creative maps. The recent Phantasy Star Games come to mind, now that ****'s cool, it mixes standard nature with cool technology and interesting level design.

Sci-fi is very easily ****ed up and made to look tired and rehashed, they needed something fresh. Imagine if they had photon weapons like PS and you went around infiltrating Templar bases in various places to obtain information on their goals and ruin their surveillance tech.

Imagine if there were entire neighborhoods of Templars where you have to go into and find documents for the CEO's of Abstergo? Imagine infiltrating some rich CEO's upgraded Victorian mansion in upscale rural New York?

If they can't do it right they shouldn't do it at all and they've had like what... 7 games to get it right and have failed?

Dome500
06-17-2014, 07:51 PM
The MD didn't entice me in 1, I bought AC1 to hop around the holy land and stab people with hidden wrist blades. Didn't care or expect some half-assed, cheesy, stereotypical and unnecessary sci-fi plot.

If you're going to do sci-fi do sci-fi, don't mix it with another setting that's unique and untouched. It just doesn't match up and it never will.

The only time I found it acceptable was in AC3 where you actually did stuff and even then the environment was dull and drab.

There's so many better sci-fi games out there with more unique ideas and more creative maps. The recent Phantasy Star Games come to mind, now that ****'s cool, it mixes standard nature with cool technology and interesting level design.

Sci-fi is very easily ****ed up and made to look tired and rehashed, they needed something fresh. Imagine if they had photon weapons like PS and you went around infiltrating Templar bases in various places to obtain information on their goals and ruin their surveillance tech.

Imagine if there were entire neighborhoods of Templars where you have to go into and find documents for the CEO's of Abstergo? Imagine infiltrating some rich CEO's upgraded Victorian mansion in upscale rural New York?

If they can't do it right they shouldn't do it at all and they've had like what... 7 games to get it right and have failed?

Look, all I am saying is it WAS interesting for ME in AC1 because of the HUGE potential it had and actually it was not that bad of a start.
I imagined that the MD might become something like a Splinter Cell/ Historical AC hybrid where in MD you would infiltrate Templar buildings and do stuff for the Assassins and in history you search for apples and other things that help you in your fight against the Templars and also maybe against and/or with other groups.

What I did not imagine was that MD would be almost completely ignored in AC2, B and R just to pop up and continue in a realtively "interesting" and again "potential-having" gameplay in AC3 just to end there immediately again.

So yes, if you can't pull it off then just leave it out dammit. I do not agree with anything else you say but in that point we can agree.
It was just a unique combination and I saw all that potential in AC1 with the MD/history crossover that was damn unique back then, but then they screwed it all up and became less and less addressed and focused upon in the sequels. It was just wasted potential, like I said.

And I agree 100%, if they can't or don't WANT to pull it off they should just leave it be.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Look, all I am saying is it WAS interesting for ME in AC1 because of the HUGE potential it had and actually it was not that bad of a start.
I imagined that the MD might become something like a Splinter Cell/ Historical AC hybrid where in MD you would infiltrate Templar buildings and do stuff for the Assassins and in history you search for apples and other things that help you in your fight against the Templars and also maybe against and/or with other groups.

What I did not imagine was that MD would be almost completely ignored in AC2, B and R just to pop up and continue in a realtively "interesting" and again "potential-having" gameplay in AC3 just to end there immediately again.

So yes, if you can't pull it off then just leave it out dammit. I do not agree with anything else you say but in that point we can agree.
It was just a unique combination and I saw all that potential in AC1 with the MD/history crossover that was damn unique back then, but then they screwed it all up and became less and less addressed and focused upon in the sequels. It was just wasted potential, like I said.

And I agree 100%, if they can't or don't WANT to pull it off they should just leave it be.

So you don't want to infiltrate some Abstergo CEO's Victorian mansion in upscale rural NY that was passed down by colonial Templars?

We cannot be friends!

Dome500
06-17-2014, 10:05 PM
So you don't want to infiltrate some Abstergo CEO's Victorian mansion in upscale rural NY that was passed down by colonial Templars?

We cannot be friends!

Sure I want, don't take everything so literally. :D

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Sure I want, don't take everything so literally. :D

Twas a joke good sir.

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 11:15 PM
What the fudge is Phantasy Star? sounds dumb.

Oh they're old games on systems I don't own. Not interested.

Sci-Fi AC would be cool though. Combine Splinter Cell, Mass Effect, and Assassin's Creed.

Shahkulu101
06-17-2014, 11:18 PM
What about a future AC, in a dystopian setting. That way weapons could be scarce and the stealth element could be retained. Oh and zombie aliens.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 11:18 PM
What the fudge is Phantasy Star? sounds dumb.

Oh they're old games on systems I don't own. Not interested.

Sci-Fi AC would be cool though. Combine Splinter Cell, Mass Effect, and Assassin's Creed.

Phantasy Star

http://i.imgur.com/e2i5oGh.jpg?1

You call yourself a gamer! HMPH! Get an emulator!

No they're not old games btw, it's a franchise that started alongside FF yes but there's plenty of new games, Phantasy Star Portable 2 on the PSP was quite popular.

MD is sci-fi AC and it's crap. It's cookie-cutter sci-fi and I'm tired of seeing cookie cutter sci-fi which was busy making itself old and tired before I was even born.

Jexx21
06-17-2014, 11:22 PM
I don't know what you define as cookie-cutter sci-fi but I probably disagree with you. I love the TWCB sci-fi of AC and it's one of the draws for me. Assassin's Creed just wouldn't be Assassin's Creed without the Animus and TWCB and the modern-day story.

Sesheenku
06-17-2014, 11:29 PM
I don't know what you define as cookie-cutter sci-fi but I probably disagree with you. I love the TWCB sci-fi of AC and it's one of the draws for me. Assassin's Creed just wouldn't be Assassin's Creed without the Animus and TWCB and the modern-day story.

This is simply a matter of us having very different definitions of things.

To me MD doesn't matter, AC would be fine without it for me, as long as I can hop across my painstakingly created historical city and stab Templars in the throat without getting riddled with machine gun bullets I couldn't care less what happens to that poorly written dribble of an MD.

Layytez
06-18-2014, 06:34 AM
This is simply a matter of us having very different definitions of things.

To me MD doesn't matter, AC would be fine without it for me, as long as I can hop across my painstakingly created historical city and stab Templars in the throat without getting riddled with machine gun bullets I couldn't care less what happens to that poorly written dribble of an MD.
May aswell take the templars and assassins out of it too since its the reason why we go back in time in the first place. What happened in history affected our present and future. If you think AC would be fine without MD think of everything you have done in the past and ask yourself why you are doing it. Take the MD out and you just have a historical sandbox game with no direction besides reliving things you could have read in books. The addition of MD makes it fun and gives it reason.

Sesheenku
06-18-2014, 06:40 AM
May aswell take the templars and assassins out of it too since its the reason why we go back in time in the first place. What happened in history affected our present and future. If you think AC would be fine without MD think of everything you have done in the past and ask yourself why you are doing it.

Story wise, business wise it's because it's the part that most people buy it for. So yeah not a particularly good argument.

I could argue the only reason we have the animus is to link the games somehow, doesn't mean its fact, I'm the not the dev and neither are you, we don't know why they the devs chose to implement the animus.

pirate1802
06-18-2014, 07:05 AM
May aswell take the templars and assassins out of it too since its the reason why we go back in time in the first place. What happened in history affected our present and future. If you think AC would be fine without MD think of everything you have done in the past and ask yourself why you are doing it. Take the MD out and you just have a historical sandbox game with no direction besides reliving things you could have read in books. The addition of MD makes it fun and gives it reason.

Character motivation =/= player motivation.

They can cook whatever fairytale to go into the past, I'd ignore it and be happy with it as long as it doesn't interfere with fun (my, the player's reason to go into the past).
Many people have suggested (in the reboot thread) alternate methods. A student researching history and uncovering the past? **** yeah. As good as using animus mumbo jumbo. Addition of MD might give you reason and fun, to me it is tantamount to inserting story sections in a porno: not what I'm playing the game for.

Sesheenku
06-18-2014, 07:17 AM

They can cook whatever fairytale to go into the past, I'd ignore it and be happy with it as long as it doesn't interfere with fun (my, the player's reason to go into the past).
Many people have suggested (in the reboot thread) alternate methods. A student researching history and uncovering the past? **** yeah. As good as using animus mumbo jumbo. Addition of MD might give you reason and fun, to me it is tantamount to inserting story sections in a porno: not what I'm playing the game for.

I hate that **** lol. Don't tell me a story.. just do what I came here to see.

pirate1802
06-18-2014, 07:30 AM
Yes, just fast forward that ****. I'd be happy if there's an option present on AC as well. AC IV was heavenly in that regard.

Sesheenku
06-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Yes, just fast forward that ****. I'd be happy if there's an option present on AC as well. AC IV was heavenly in that regard.

I'm a skip it altogether type of man but ff works lol.

Farlander1991
06-18-2014, 07:58 AM
Modern day is mostly a way to keep the series together (i.e. a way to be able to jump between different time periods and be a part of the same series and universe without a need for a new IP). It has got its advantages, and interesting concepts (I personally was very intrigued with MD in AC1), not to mention that the Animus is a perfect explanation for all game mechanics (which removes the 'why we're chasing chicken if there's world to be saved?' question, just because we as a player decided to run with the thieves while Caterina Sforza is captured doesn't mean that Ezio has done it in that way, etc.)

That said, AC series, at least at this moment if not during AC1-AC2 times, might work well just as a collection of stories from different periods of time. And second, AC1-AC3 modern day plot got too overcomplicated for its own good (which is smth Darby mentioned, that they would like to tell simpler good stories well rather than great stories badly).

Here's the thing: the past and the present in AC games (1 to 3 at least) are only marginally so connected. Because the modern day plot stays relatively in the same for the whole game and can REALLY move forward near the end, where the ancestor does something they need to know (because absence of knowledge blocks the characters' progress, and getting that knowledge means no reason to follow a character anymore, so the story of the past has to be told fully as well). Which means that the only parts of the past plot that are relevant to the modern day are only the endings (Altair seeing the map of the Apple in AC1, Ezio talking to Minerva in AC2, etc.).

It doesn't matter which story in AC1 is told in the past (for the MD) as long as in the end Altair finds the Apple. AC1 is the story of maturity. AC2 is the story of revenge. ACR is the story of purpose. AC3 is the story of conviction. They try to thematically connect MD/past at some points (AC1, ACR, AC3), but it doesn't mean that the past pushes the MD any further than it did. Only beginnings and endings matter. The exception being AC3 in a way, because it's the last of the Desmond Saga and had more things going in it, but the past was connected with the present only by one thing: the key that they had to find at the end. Other things that happened in the Modern Day story had nothing to do with the past.

Which is why Modern Day story end-of-the-world thing shouldn't have replaced the satellite-launch plot. Satellite launch is simpler. It keeps in tone with the Assassin/Templar conflict. And it allows the past and present to be more connected, due to the map that we found in the past be relevant to try and prevent Abstergo from getting those pieces.

By the time I wrote all this I kinda forgot what was my final point of the post :p Oh well. I guess the point is: MD plot should have a simple structure. It's a way to keep things interesting, intriguing and connected, but it shouldn't try to take reins away from the main attraction: the historical part.

rprkjj
06-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Modern day is mostly a way to keep the series together (i.e. a way to be able to jump between different time periods and be a part of the same series and universe without a need for a new IP). It has got its advantages, and interesting concepts (I personally was very intrigued with MD in AC1), not to mention that the Animus is a perfect explanation for all game mechanics (which removes the 'why we're chasing chicken if there's world to be saved?' question, just because we as a player decided to run with the thieves while Caterina Sforza is captured doesn't mean that Ezio has done it in that way, etc.)

That said, AC series, at least at this moment if not during AC1-AC2 times, might work well just as a collection of stories from different periods of time. And second, AC1-AC3 modern day plot got too overcomplicated for its own good (which is smth Darby mentioned, that they would like to tell simpler good stories well rather than great stories badly).

Here's the thing: the past and the present in AC games (1 to 3 at least) are only marginally so connected. Because the modern day plot stays relatively in the same for the whole game and can REALLY move forward near the end, where the ancestor does something they need to know (because absence of knowledge blocks the characters' progress, and getting that knowledge means no reason to follow a character anymore, so the story of the past has to be told fully as well). Which means that the only parts of the past plot that are relevant to the modern day are only the endings (Altair seeing the map of the Apple in AC1, Ezio talking to Minerva in AC2, etc.).

It doesn't matter which story in AC1 is told in the past (for the MD) as long as in the end Altair finds the Apple. AC1 is the story of maturity. AC2 is the story of revenge. ACR is the story of purpose. AC3 is the story of conviction. They try to thematically connect MD/past at some points (AC1, ACR, AC3), but it doesn't mean that the past pushes the MD any further than it did. Only beginnings and endings matter. The exception being AC3 in a way, because it's the last of the Desmond Saga and had more things going in it, but the past was connected with the present only by one thing: the key that they had to find at the end. Other things that happened in the Modern Day story had nothing to do with the past.

Which is why Modern Day story end-of-the-world thing shouldn't have replaced the satellite-launch plot. Satellite launch is simpler. It keeps in tone with the Assassin/Templar conflict. And it allows the past and present to be more connected, due to the map that we found in the past be relevant to try and prevent Abstergo from getting those pieces.

By the time I wrote all this I kinda forgot what was my final point of the post :p Oh well. I guess the point is: MD plot should have a simple structure. It's a way to keep things interesting, intriguing and connected, but it shouldn't try to take reins away from the main attraction: the historical part.

This. The mystery of the modern-day and the whole, "secret society," nature of it is what makes me like it. By AC3 though, it was ridiculous.

Dome500
06-18-2014, 03:41 PM

Well, I always thought it a good compromise to ask the player if he wants to play the MD as well. I mean if it is really a pain in the a** for you that would help, right?
They actually have enough budget and time to have at least 1 - 2 hours of modern day for each game that has a real STORY.
Why not, make it optional or ask the player if he wants to play it? I mean if it REALLY bugs you that much and you can't stand it....

But what I definitely not want, and I think a lot of people on both sides - no matter if they like MD or not - agree with me there, is: I do NOT want them to drag on Modern Day if they are not serious about it, if they don't have anything interesting to tell, a good story or interesting perspectives and scenarios. The MD has huge potential IMO if you play with it and experiment with the formula itself as developer, test what works and build in new mechanics, try new stuff while telling an interesting story that can at least ENTERTAIN YOU even if it is not what you play the game for.
But to build in MD just for MDs sake, just to have something and tell players who once liked it "yes we have MD", just to show Easter Eggs and for FanService, NO THANK YOU. I don't want this.
If they are not serious about it, if they don't really WANT to make it, if they don't CARE about it, if they have NOTHING interesting to tell, then they should just let it be.

And if they indeed want it they should start making it interesting, interactive and put some passion and time in it dammit.

@Farlander

Agreed on the Satellite launch and that the overall MD structure should have been more simpler, especially it shouldn't have branched off in all kinds of directions that much. It basically ended always with more questions and loose ends than answers and only a small margin of them were even continued. It also developed itself in something way too big so that I think in the end the team of developers at Ubisoft did loose their goal and didn't know what to do anymore so they just ended it the way they ended it in AC3.

Non the less I also think the problem was mainly the restrictions they set themselves.
If they found another general REASON why they visit their ancestors (gain of general knowledge about the Assassins history, Assassin Recruit training, gaining experience, searching not only for an apple but maybe for other things (Temple, observatory, maybe even an old Assassin layer with valuable information or technology), if they had MULTIPLE reasons to visit the past they could have progressed better with the MD plot without neutralizing all the reasons to get back in the animus, they could have driven on the plot more without making it useless (from a lore POV) to use the animus again.

All I'm saying is, multiple reasons to visit the past, a strong and solid plot and no sidespread branching story that COULD go in 100 directions and they would have had a good plot. They also wouldn't have had to stay with Desmond, they could have told that story of that Girl Desmond was supposed to search for, or another unrelated character, a 3rd person Abstergo employee, an Erudito-memeber, a Sage, a normal citizen somehow getting himself into this conflict, it could have been re-accuring characters every 2 - 3 games so every NEXT game would have another character again, everyone with his/her own story, some stories might have met in the future titles, others might have spinned around the same thing but never crossed paths, other characters might have died.

Different POVs, different perspectives, different motivations, situations, stories and lessons to learn. And a simple MD structure while maintaining a high standard in terms of the original philosophical approach they had in the beginning with MD as well.

I think it WOULD have been great.
And hell, it still could be great if they started now with something like that.

All I want are entertaining MD stories told in a good way, with interactions (maybe even minor decisions you can make), simple stories of different (Desmond-like, 3rd person) protagonists with a real voice who experience something and have multiple reasons to go into the animus (so the story can be told better).

perrisha
06-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Hey shaun why dont you suck my *** you little fairy!

Sushiglutton
06-18-2014, 04:28 PM
YES! Letting the player's themself form the story is one of the greatest breakthrooughs in entertainment history! Shows how far ahead Ubi is, awesome! They should move all the MD to Initiates and let player creativity run wild. Shoving a story down the customer's throat is so last gen.

I just wanna get rid of MD from the games :nonchalance:

pirate1802
06-18-2014, 04:33 PM
I just wanna get rid of MD from the games :nonchalance:

That is my secret wish as well. :nonchalance:

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-18-2014, 04:44 PM

Me too. :nonchalance:

Hans684
06-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Well, I always thought it a good compromise to ask the player if he wants to play the MD as well. I mean if it is really a pain in the a** for you that would help, right?
They actually have enough budget and time to have at least 1 - 2 hours of modern day for each game that has a real STORY.
Why not, make it optional or ask the player if he wants to play it? I mean if it REALLY bugs you that much and you can't stand it....

But what I definitely not want, and I think a lot of people on both sides - no matter if they like MD or not - agree with me there, is: I do NOT want them to drag on Modern Day if they are not serious about it, if they don't have anything interesting to tell, a good story or interesting perspectives and scenarios. The MD has huge potential IMO if you play with it and experiment with the formula itself as developer, test what works and build in new mechanics, try new stuff while telling an interesting story that can at least ENTERTAIN YOU even if it is not what you play the game for.
But to build in MD just for MDs sake, just to have something and tell players who once liked it "yes we have MD", just to show Easter Eggs and for FanService, NO THANK YOU. I don't want this.
If they are not serious about it, if they don't really WANT to make it, if they don't CARE about it, if they have NOTHING interesting to tell, then they should just let it be.

And if they indeed want it they should start making it interesting, interactive and put some passion and time in it dammit.

@Farlander

Agreed on the Satellite launch and that the overall MD structure should have been more simpler, especially it shouldn't have branched off in all kinds of directions that much. It basically ended always with more questions and loose ends than answers and only a small margin of them were even continued. It also developed itself in something way too big so that I think in the end the team of developers at Ubisoft did loose their goal and didn't know what to do anymore so they just ended it the way they ended it in AC3.

Non the less I also think the problem was mainly the restrictions they set themselves.
If they found another general REASON why they visit their ancestors (gain of general knowledge about the Assassins history, Assassin Recruit training, gaining experience, searching not only for an apple but maybe for other things (Temple, observatory, maybe even an old Assassin layer with valuable information or technology), if they had MULTIPLE reasons to visit the past they could have progressed better with the MD plot without neutralizing all the reasons to get back in the animus, they could have driven on the plot more without making it useless (from a lore POV) to use the animus again.

All I'm saying is, multiple reasons to visit the past, a strong and solid plot and no sidespread branching story that COULD go in 100 directions and they would have had a good plot. They also wouldn't have had to stay with Desmond, they could have told that story of that Girl Desmond was supposed to search for, or another unrelated character, a 3rd person Abstergo employee, an Erudito-memeber, a Sage, a normal citizen somehow getting himself into this conflict, it could have been re-accuring characters every 2 - 3 games so every NEXT game would have another character again, everyone with his/her own story, some stories might have met in the future titles, others might have spinned around the same thing but never crossed paths, other characters might have died.

Different POVs, different perspectives, different motivations, situations, stories and lessons to learn. And a simple MD structure while maintaining a high standard in terms of the original philosophical approach they had in the beginning with MD as well.

I think it WOULD have been great.
And hell, it still could be great if they started now with something like that.

All I want are entertaining MD stories told in a good way, with interactions (maybe even minor decisions you can make), simple stories of different (Desmond-like, 3rd person) protagonists with a real voice who experience something and have multiple reasons to go into the animus (so the story can be told better).

This show why an AC in MD only could save the MD part and get in back on track.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why have everyone given up?

dxsxhxcx
06-18-2014, 07:08 PM
This show why an AC in MD only could save the MD part and get in back on track.

a game focusing only on modern day wouldn't work, different from a game like Prototype where the world is full of those monsters and you're a monster yourself, the MD in AC happens in a world similar to ours, the problem with the modern days is that many people (and I believe some Devs included) think it should provide the SAME experience the historical sequences do, anyone who expect to have THAT kind of freedom during the MD IMO should stop and think about what they're asking, it would be stupid, unrealistic and IMO any excuse they could create to allow that (other than create a post-apocalyptic world what we already know isn't the case) would be so convenient that it would do more harm than good to the story.

the first thing we need to put in our heads is: modern days in AC exist for narrative purposes, if they decide to create part of a modern city where we would be able to free roam, FORGET about being able to climb any building if the streets will be crowded with people, cameras and police, climbing would be strictly limited to places where the character is safe from curious eyes to not draw attention, FORGET about open combat, with the help of the modern technology the police would find us in a blink of an eye, so once again combat like climbing would be something uncommon and limited, you can't expect to pick a fight with 10 police officers, run away and repeat then continue to play the game as if nothing had happened, unless you don't mind to turn the modern days into a shooter to deal with all the police going after you, I know I don't want this to happen.

this doesn't mean they can't provide a SIMILAR experience to help the narrative, I believe that tailing/eavesdrop missions could work in the modern days (most of them would happen in the ground, of course and we wouldn't do anything huge), we could also have some assassination missions (example: sit near the target in a bench, kill him using the hidden blade and vanish in the crowd before people notice what happened, or poison someone) during the modern days, the concept of social stealth that is kinda ignored during the historical times would be a fundamental part of the experience, I wouldn't mind if these missions were scripted to avoid scenarios where we'll need to kill dozens of people to remain undetected, as I said, these missions are only there to help the narrative, but hey, IMO this is much better than play as Mr. Flying Tablet.

pacmanate
06-18-2014, 07:14 PM
lol can't believe you open this

dxsxhxcx
06-18-2014, 07:21 PM
lol can't believe you open this

Neither do I... lol

Hans684
06-18-2014, 07:56 PM
a game focusing only on modern day wouldn't work, different from a game like Prototype where the world is full of those monsters and you're a monster yourself, the MD in AC happens in a world similar to ours, the problem with the modern days is that many people (and I believe some Devs included) think it should provide the SAME experience the historical sequences do, anyone who expect to have THAT kind of freedom during the MD IMO should stop and think about what they're asking, it would be stupid, unrealistic and IMO any excuse they could create to allow that (other than create a post-apocalyptic world what we already know isn't the case) would be so convenient that it would do more harm than good to the story.

That depends on how it "work"doesn't it. I'm not expecting and MD open world, mix Hitman and Splinter Cell mission design on the other hand will work. It's investigation and assassination. Then we have the story, that is how they can fight agains the Templars. First person of third don't matter, it can work either way, if the person is going to be "us" or not is another matter. I know many people are agains it, yet they are the same singing songs about MD. It doesn't need to be open word because the other games is, it's as you said MD and would be stupid/unrealistic that way, not to mention exposing the Assassin/Templar war. So from a story perspective open word would be a bad idea. It wouldn't do more harm than good if they do some of things just said. And the MD part has always been linear, so that formula would not be changed much, only make it as open as SC and H.

the first thing we need to put in our heads is: modern days in AC exist for narrative purposes, if they decide to create part of a modern city where we would be able to free roam, FORGET about being able to climb any building if the streets will be crowded with people, cameras and police, climbing would be strictly limited to places where the character is safe from curious eyes to not draw attention, FORGET about open combat, with the help of the modern technology the police would find us in a blink of an eye, so once again combat like climbing would be something uncommon and limited, you can't expect to pick a fight with 10 police officers, run away and repeat then continue to play the game as if nothing had happened, unless you don't mind to turn the modern days into a shooter to deal with all the police going after you, I know I don't want this to happen.

From a narrative perspective a MD AC is needed, the story moves slow, it's becoming more "optional" and we are playing "us". My intention was never an open world MD, it's supposed to help the narrative so it's going to be performed with a mix H and SC design, it fits perfectly consider precious mission was linear the difference is that the MD AC is going to have the same freedom(more or less) of H and SC. The game would take care of stuff like Mr. Flying Tablet, get the story moving faster and of course help the story back on track, making it simpler as they have stated would be better. It's not going to be made just couse or because it would be badazz running around in MD, it's for story purpose only. Do you consider the current MD condition bad? Because this would take care of everything, the focus is only the story.

this doesn't mean they can't provide a SIMILAR experience to help the narrative, I believe that tailing/eavesdrop missions could work in the modern days (most of them would happen in the ground, of course and we wouldn't do anything huge), we could also have some assassination missions (example: sit near the target in a bench, kill him using the hidden blade and vanish in the crowd before people notice what happened, or poison someone) during the modern days, the concept of social stealth that is kinda ignored during the historical times would be a fundamental part of the experience, I wouldn't mind if these missions were scripted to avoid scenarios where we'll need to kill dozens of people to remain undetected, as I said, these missions are only there to help the narrative, but hey, IMO this is much better than play as Mr. Flying Tablet.

It would be to limiting with an open world because the world in AC is our world, so they can't kill off Obama just because the team consider it a good idea. Not to mention that an open word would make the focus on the story a lot more loose. The chance of it ending up like another GTA is to much a risk, it would harm the story unless there is something on the news about a massacre by a guy in a hood killing with HB's. As you said they need to be scripted/linear to avoid all that and because it's scripted it would serve to story and the story only, how could that possible be bad? They shouldn't pull of another AC3 when making the missions in MD, if they do that then it would do a lot of harm.

Ureh
06-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Right now the MD is like the little toe on our feet. It barely serves any purpose and doesn't really wiggle when we want it to.

If they continue the AC4 MD-style then I think I want it to be removed entirely as well. I love how the actions of the protagonists can still echo across time and affect the MD in some way, and I still like the S16 truth stuff, but the whole Abstergo vs Assassin conflict sorta lost its potential after ACB/R. AC3 MD was all right but they were trying to cram a lot of stuff into a tiny bit of space and wrap it up asap. I guess MD still has some leftover potential, if they do plan on continuing I hope it's more awesome.

Jexx21
06-18-2014, 08:10 PM

But why? The modern day is part of what makes Assassin's Creed Assassin's Creed.

Sushiglutton
06-18-2014, 08:36 PM
But why? The modern day is part of what makes Assassin's Creed Assassin's Creed.

The story has become kind of a mess. Gameplay-wise it's a drag. It's annoying when you are pulled out of the animus to slowly walk around an office. The historical part alone suffers from a slow start in recent games as Ubi needs to make a tutorial for every mechanic. The extra obstacle MD presents before you can begin is the last thing the game needs. Historical part would work absolutely fine on its own.

To me it's a no-brainer to just ditch MD. They tried it for six games, it didn't work out, time to move on.

Ureh
06-18-2014, 08:42 PM

I really want it to stay too. There are worse things in the game than MD. But it's so sad to see something so great just being squandered.

Aphex_Tim
06-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Right now the MD is like the little toe on our feet. It barely serves any purpose and doesn't really wiggle when we want it to.

But remove it and you'll notice it impacts your balance.

Sushiglutton
06-18-2014, 08:55 PM
It's more like a stone in the shoe. Remove it and you will quickly feel much better ;)

Hans684
06-18-2014, 09:04 PM
And removing it is like the end of the world ;)

Sushiglutton
06-18-2014, 09:08 PM
And removing it is like the end of the world ;)

Not if some dull dude touch a sphere first ;)

Hans684
06-18-2014, 09:11 PM
Not if some dull dude touch a sphere first ;)

Not if some dull chick planned it since the begging ;)

Shahkulu101
06-18-2014, 09:13 PM
I don't think Desmond was ever dull, he was just stuck in a mundane environment and forced to do mundane things when out if the animus (or in the case of AC3 horribly designed things - although the NY skyscraper level was good).

He's the ultimate scapegoat. Modern day was overall dull. I actually quite liked Deadmond.

DavidPage
06-18-2014, 10:51 PM
I don't think Desmond was ever dull, he was just stuck in a mundane environment and forced to do mundane things when out if the animus (or in the case of AC3 horribly designed things - although the NY skyscraper level was good).

He's the ultimate scapegoat. Modern day was overall dull. I actually quite liked Deadmond.

Maybe it's actually all a grand scheme by Ubisoft to show us that we are wrong and they are right. About everything. Many of us (not including me) said Desmond's dull and boring and blah, blah... It is a showcase of how awesome Desmond actually was and they'll do it until we beg for his return.... I'm a great fiction writer! (not...) Although I don't get why Ubi doesn't get that Desmond is the single greatest part of Assassin's Creed that we actually really mind that got taken out. I want him back. I know Arno not being his ancestor will be a great story explanation and I'm sure it all connects in a great way. But for me, a follower since literally Day 1, Desmond IS the Assassin of Assassin's Creed. I know there are many arks in the whole ACVerse and that's great. But my opinion is that mainline ACs (meaning console, PC, numbered games - no subtitles) should have been only Desmond's story. Or even his immediate family (father, mother, offsprings, brothers, sisters). Then there should have been side games (spin offs you may call them - but still very much important to Desmond's story with connecting dots: TWCB, PoEs, etc). Both console-PC and portable games (alternating or whatever - that could have created a CoD like cycle: three year cycle made of "Mainline AC, C-PC spin off, portable spin off"... Enough dev time, different Ubi studios and a more hype building situation) and with ancestors not in Miles bloodline.

Yeah... "ARKS"...

Dome500
06-18-2014, 11:34 PM
The story has become kind of a mess. Gameplay-wise it's a drag. It's annoying when you are pulled out of the animus to slowly walk around an office. The historical part alone suffers from a slow start in recent games as Ubi needs to make a tutorial for every mechanic. The extra obstacle MD presents before you can begin is the last thing the game needs. Historical part would work absolutely fine on its own.

To me it's a no-brainer to just ditch MD. They tried it for six games, it didn't work out, time to move on.

I tell you what, IMO they didn't even "try" it half of the time, at least not how it looked in AC4, in ACB or in AC2. Only AC3 and ACR brought the story forward (which is kind of funny since ACR didn't even play in MD but only in the animus black room, but even there we saw more information, character progression and interesting things than we ever saw in all of AC2 or AC4).

They should start NOW with something SOLID and do it RIGHT.
Provide us with a GOOD STORY, lots of MD INTERACTION WITH THE ENVIRONMENT, maybe a few LOCATIONS, and tell a REAL STORY.
Then nobody will ***** about how "boring" MD is. Sure, there will be those saying "yeah, its kinda okay but it's not my thing"
But that's fine. Just DO SOMETHING WITH IT or just let it DIE.

JustPlainQuirky
06-19-2014, 02:27 AM
I never liked Desmond. He was a bore. All I knew was he was a bartender. I couldn't identify with his life or anything. I felt like he was a stranger.

Jexx21
06-19-2014, 02:36 AM
If they remove modern day I'd have to seriously consider not buying Assassin's Creed. I can't stand for the removal of something I feel is key in the series like that.

SpiritOfNevaeh
06-19-2014, 04:09 AM
I never liked Desmond. He was a bore. All I knew was he was a bartender. I couldn't identify with his life or anything. I felt like he was a stranger.

Hm.. that makes two of us. I only started to like him after he kind of got "tougher" in AC3, but other than that, I didn't get attached to him.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 04:16 AM
Hm.. that makes two of us. I only started to like him after he kind of got "tougher" in AC3, but other than that, I didn't get attached to him.

I was excited when he got offed I was like oh boy! Maybe they'll remove this stupid modern day crap at long last... nope...

pirate1802
06-19-2014, 05:14 AM
I was excited when he got offed I was like oh boy! Maybe they'll remove this stupid modern day crap at long last... nope...

Right? It was like Christmas. Also the moment when he got punched. hahahahahah

JustPlainQuirky
06-19-2014, 05:18 AM
If modern day had a cool character like Haytham I'd probably love it more. :cool:

Aphex_Tim
06-19-2014, 05:26 AM
It's fun to see how opinions on this are so massively divided. :D It seems you either love MD or hate it. There's no in between!

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 05:33 AM
It's fun to see how opinions on this are so massively divided. :D It seems you either love MD or hate it. There's no in between!

Middle grounds are for neutrals. Those damn dirty neutrals...

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/aa/aa0bb0d5d3e4276d38bb9f537fc934df7bfec954fff7fa70e8 4d9b161a345475.jpg

Hans684
06-19-2014, 09:48 PM
I would prefer to use satire(I'll try not too) for this but consider how conflicting MD day discussions are I choose not, it's serious business. And I don't need more people wanting my head on a stake.

Now admit it, I mean come on let's be real everyone know it's true that people want MD done because of disappointment(why i did not bother to have a poll) and other matters but this thread is for ways to improve it, and not my simple lines as "we must have third person MD, it's **** now and none existent while giving no progress". My suggestion to Ubisoft(please pass it one) is:

1. Daily Initiates updates beyond following Gavin & co, Rebecca, Shaun, William and "Us". Since Initiates is supposed to watch everything they can about the Assassin/Templar War they should take advantage of it. Connect the comics, games etc... A more(since it already is but not at the same scale) connected, take care of plot holes, awnser questions people have been having for ages if it's not going to be done by the games. It may be too much to ask but they should take advantage of everything they, not saying they don't but I'm thinking bigger. For now a lot of people consider Initiates as a place where part of the plot goes to die, not the best view.

2. MD books, this is more of a way to "bomb" information and moving the plots even more than all the games ever could together since books are always more connected and detailed in story telling. That's why I'd prefer this *if* MD day is going to be fully cut in the future making basically everything thing loose and takes away a lot. The AC games would pretty much be a historical Uncharted one MD is gone, the reasons would be gone, the thing making it special. It would end up like another typical history based game, not many games use the same mind blowing concepts as AC.

3. An AC game in MD, this idea is properly considered worse than the optional objectives. Anyway since AC has had MD since day 1(shocking), I'd say why not take advantage of it on full scale with its own game for itself. Yeah it might be dull and be considered a typical MD game but the story is all that matters. People said the historical gameplay was changing to little and was underdeveloped, then came Unity, havn't seen it since. Only paronoia, that Ubisoft is lying(everyone does either way), the typical pre-release talk. Sure it might not sell well but didn't everyone say that one Black Flag was shown with Pirates? Same case. Sorry, going back on track. Thing is that with a mission based(not open word) MD AC it could work. Heard of Hitman and Splinter Cell? That is what I'm talking about, not a carbon copy but it's the only way we can have a MD AC without it becoming another GTA. If not a main game then they could try to make every Vita game MD only.

I'm not asking for this is because it would be badazz or anything like that, this is to the story back on track, at least for those who consider it hell now. All I want is improving what currently is with a MD protagonist or not while taking advantage of what they have, it's for story purposes only. My I'm is not to please everyone either, impossible anyway and I'm not that naive. If there is a problem why not fix it? Escaping from it by taking it away would in a long shot make it worse(not the historical part but overall so it will backfire on the historical part), especially since historical part is always connected to MD, there is always a reason to go to X era with X protagonist searching/stumbling over X devise.

Sesheenku
06-19-2014, 10:09 PM
I would prefer to use satire(I'll try not too) for this but consider how conflicting MD day discussions are I choose not, it's serious business. And I don't need more people wanting my head on a stake.

Now admit it, I mean come on let's be real everyone know it's true that people want MD done because of disappointment(why i did not bother to have a poll) and other matters but this thread is for ways to improve it, and not my simple lines as "we must have third person MD, it's **** now and none existent while giving no progress". My suggestion to Ubisoft(please pass it one) is:

1. Daily Initiates updates beyond following Gavin & co, Rebecca, Shaun, William and "Us". Since Initiates is supposed to watch everything they can about the Assassin/Templar War they should take advantage of it. Connect the comics, games etc... A more(since it already is but not at the same scale) connected, take care of plot holes, awnser questions people have been having for ages if it's not going to be done by the games. It may be too much to ask but they should take advantage of everything they, not saying they don't but I'm thinking bigger. For now a lot of people consider Initiates as a place where part of the plot goes to die, not the best view.

That's fine, need more then that though.

2. MD books, this is more of a way to "bomb" information and moving the plots even more than all the games ever could together since books are always more connected and detailed in story telling. That's why I'd prefer this *if* MD day is going to be fully cut in the future making basically everything thing loose and takes away a lot. The AC games would pretty much be a historical Uncharted one MD is gone, the reasons would be gone, the thing making it special. It would end up like another typical history based game, not many games use the same mind blowing concepts as AC.

Kindly list for me all of the games that aren't RTS games that take place in Constantinople, Venice, Florence, Tuscany, Syria, and Colonial America.

3. An AC game in MD, this idea is properly considered worse than the optional objectives. Anyway since AC has had MD since day 1(shocking), I'd say why not take advantage of it on full scale with its own game for itself. Yeah it might be dull and be considered a typical MD game but the story is all that matters. People said the historical gameplay was changing to little and was underdeveloped, then came Unity, havn't seen it since. Only paronoia, that Ubisoft is lying(everyone does either way), the typical pre-release talk. Sure it might not sell well but didn't everyone say that one Black Flag was shown with Pirates? Same case. Sorry, going back on track. Thing is that with a mission based(not open word) MD AC it could work. Heard of Hitman and Splinter Cell? That is what I'm talking about, not a carbon copy but it's the only way we can have a MD AC without it becoming another GTA. If not a main game then they could try to make every Vita game MD only.

I'm not against it but many people consider Watch Dogs to be just that and I agree quite frankly. To be honest they'd be extremely stupid to lie at this point, if they have any brains at all they know damn well that many fans were on the verge of quitting after the last two games, enough to lose a noticeable amount of sales I'm sure. I'd be willing to bet that for the most part we'll be getting the game that was shown.

I'm not asking for this is because it would be badazz or anything like that, this is to the story back on track, at least for those who consider it hell now. All I want is improving what currently is with a MD protagonist or not while taking advantage of what they have, it's for story purposes only. My I'm is not to please everyone either, impossible anyway and I'm not that naive. If there is a problem why not fix it? Escaping from it by taking it away would in a long shot make it worse(not the historical part but overall so it will backfire on the historical part), especially since historical part is always connected to MD, there is always a reason to go to X era with X protagonist searching/stumbling over X devise.

Personally I don't think the MD is written that well and thus I don't care for its story, not that any of the games have mind blowing stories. Good perhaps, even great but not mind blowing.

AC doesn't need to work on the story right now imo, it needs to fix its mechanics and that includes the modern day. If they did that I'd be interested to play MD again but as it stands it's just dull information collection. In AC1 at least the conversations were important to the narrative but now it's just... easter eggs as several members have aptly described.

Hans684
06-20-2014, 11:11 PM
That's fine, need more then that though.

Care to explain what those more that is needed?

Kindly list for me all of the games that aren't RTS games that take place in Constantinople, Venice, Florence, Tuscany, Syria, and Colonial America.

No, I can't! And I don't care to try. But if you've a better wording for it, by all means tell me.

I'm not against it but many people consider Watch Dogs to be just that and I agree quite frankly. To be honest they'd be extremely stupid to lie at this point, if they have any brains at all they know damn well that many fans were on the verge of quitting after the last two games, enough to lose a noticeable amount of sales I'm sure. I'd be willing to bet that for the most part we'll be getting the game that was shown.

I partly agree, sure it might feel like AC at some occasions ever trough it isn't AC, they do on the other hand share two main pillars. The third that W_D has and not AC is hacking. Trying new stuff comes with a risk, just let them continue. Doesn't Unity looks like they response from the feedback needed to make the true sequel that Patrice should have done with AC2 tie begin with?

Personally I don't think the MD is written that well and thus I don't care for its story, not that any of the games have mind blowing stories. Good perhaps, even great but not mind blowing.

I went overtop on purpose regarding that one. The only mind blowing game for me us The Last Of Us, the only game able to surpass my favorite series.

AC doesn't need to work on the story right now imo, it needs to fix its mechanics and that includes the modern day. If they did that I'd be interested to play MD again but as it stands it's just dull information collection. In AC1 at least the conversations were important to the narrative but now it's just... easter eggs as several members have aptly described.

This is one of many reasons the MD story needs fixing and I agree with you the story is like that now but only if you judge it by the games alone, the story is bigger that just games. As for the outdated excuses for not being able to follow it there is the AC Wiki and Access The Animus. I'm personally more of a story player, so regarding gameplay it should change to what that serves the story most right and not have unneeded limitations just cause when there is so much that can be improved an taken advantage of.

pacmanate
06-21-2014, 12:32 AM
AC to me isn't AC without modern day.

There was so much mystery in AC1. Mystery that fizzled by AC:R, was completely lost in AC3 and AC4.

I loved the glyphs and puzzles.

I don't think any AC game can beat AC1 when it comes too mysteriousness.

Jexx21
06-21-2014, 12:51 AM
meh

AC3 was pretty mysterious to me, I loved the grand temple

Locopells
06-21-2014, 12:55 AM
OK, if we're done talking specifically about Shaun's message then, for tidiness' sake, I'm gonna ask we move over to the MD theories thread here:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/891774-What-are-your-Present-Day-theories-for-AC-Unity

which has reappeared. Feel free to quote yourselves, in order to keep the flow of conversations.